Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one in the front yard, only 15 years old, that's going to be a total loss.  The other that's dropped two decent branches since midnight.  Really, really, hoping the backyard tree doesn't take a dump on top of the fence.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
SW Austin here.  I live in a neighborhood that is heavily treed with cedar elm.  They do well in wind, but this is the most ice they have seen in my 20 years living here.  Popping and cracking since 5am here.  Really big stuff coming down too.  I have been fortunate that my house missed most of the damage and my trees only lost smaller stuff, but some of my neighbors took damage to some really great trees.Attachment Attached File

On my house

Attachment Attached File

Huge lead came out of my neighbors tree.

There’s a bunch more but I didn’t get pics.  It was getting dangerous to walk around outside.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is deafening and depressing. Pretty helpless feeling too..

Probably lost over a hundred large live oak tree limbs so far. Sounds like gunshots outside every 30 seconds or so in all directions.

Fuck ice.
View Quote

Live oaks...

My wife loves the Texas live oaks. We were station in GA during a massive ice storm that you guys are not going through. I still remember the hundreds of "gun shots" of limbs snapping. All were pine and the air was filled with that pine resin smell. Massive clean up afterwards.  

Sorry OP.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Talk to me when you wake up with one 150 foot pine sitting parallel to your home (less than eight feet away from your child's bedroom), in your back yard, and another blocking your garage (25 feet away), and neither one made a sound because the wind was blowing 70 mph and there were feet of snow on the ground.

It's a bitch because you have to go from the mental mind fuck of realizing your family came within a breath of ceasing to exist to having to grab the saws and gear to clear the mess because you have to get work.

Boo fucking hoo tree limbs. Guess what, the trees will grow more limbs.

ETA: My post is directed at OPs complaints, not those who have incurred damage or loss from your weather event.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talk to me when you wake up with one 150 foot pine sitting parallel to your home (less than eight feet away from your child's bedroom), in your back yard, and another blocking your garage (25 feet away), and neither one made a sound because the wind was blowing 70 mph and there were feet of snow on the ground.

It's a bitch because you have to go from the mental mind fuck of realizing your family came within a breath of ceasing to exist to having to grab the saws and gear to clear the mess because you have to get work.

ETA: My post is directed at OPs complaints, not those who have incurred damage or loss from your weather event.
View Quote

Well shit, we all ain’t so bad ass as to wake up and find nobody got hurt like you.  I mean, 24 hours of shit falling that could crush parts of the house, kids, trucks etc. went on here, but you do you.

How about a “damn, that sucks” instead of my danger made my dick bigger than yours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Boerne, Spring Branch, Wimberley areas have lots of broken trees
View Quote

Damn, I just repaired pipes from the last freeze at the ranch last weekend on 16 in pipe creek.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230201_221744241_jpg-2694103.JPG

View from my hotel room.  I tapped out 100 miles south of Dallas.  

My truck is probably several thousand pounds overweight due to ice buildup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230201_145448726_jpg-2694105.JPG
View Quote
Be careful out there.   The project I'm on has a lot of materials delayed by trucks getting stranded in this storm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel for you. Feb of about 1994 or so we had 1/2 of ice in Fort Bend county south west of Houston.

Streets were covered with oaks.

I was trying to pick up some highlines at a schools and trees were sheading weight all around us.

It was dangerous. People lost power for days.
To add insult to injury the city came around with a grappler on a grade all and took patches of everyone’s front yard with the tree limbs.

But I can show you pictures of those oaks today and most all of them are beautiful now. As long as the main trunk survives they will come back.  I even bolted some giant oaks together on my property that had spli down the middle and they survived. One had a 36 inch 3/4 bolt through it.  You can’t tell it today.

God cleans out the pines and water oaks with droughts and live oaks with ice storms. I’m sorry for your beautiful trees.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aww Texas guys are so cute
View Quote

TEXAS is hard to understand for a lot of Yankees
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
3am...no power...hurricane blowing..nothing but oaks,maples..breaking. not knowing if that big swish, cack and boom was your car......
That's the fun part.( btdt)

Sorry yall got frozen.....

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aww Texas guys are so cute
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’d rather buy firewood and keep my giant oaks.
View Quote

This. But the reason I have a chainsaw or several. I’ve lost 3 giant 100+ year old oaks in the past few years. All hit our power lines. Oaks spend the first 50 years growing and the next few decades dying.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well shit, we all ain’t so bad ass as to wake up and find nobody got hurt like you.  I mean, 24 hours of shit falling that could crush parts of the house, kids, trucks etc. went on here, but you do you.

How about a “damn, that sucks” instead of my danger made my dick bigger than yours.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

SOUTH is hard to understand for a lot of Yankees.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I've heard it a few times around me in the last couple days... yeah, it is a weird sound. I've got a couple large oak trees in my front yard... one had a pretty big branch snap, but it's still attached.

This shit happens right before I'm leaving on a long trip. Yay.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Y’all be safe now and in the cleanup. Easy to get hurt by falling stuff and chainsaws.
Prayers for all affected.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of limbs coming down.  Some Roads restricted by limbs falling into the road & blocked a lane.

I've seen a number of vehicles impacted by falling ice covered branches, so Comprehensive Auto Insurance claims will surely jump.

Power keeps going off then on then off then on.   Went dark at 10:00 last night and finally just came back on a few minutes ago.

I'm going to be super busy next few days cleaning up broken branches on the ground, & trimming down & dressing lots of broken limbs in my oaks.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Live oaks are shit as well, they break like glass with ice or any load on them. I have one thats as big in diameter as the hood of my truck. Every time its ices, fire up the Husqvarna
View Quote

I used to live in "hurricane country", South Louisiana.  I would want no other large tree around my home than a live oak.  Roots are made for high winds.  I had huge WATER oaks all around my home when I bought it and until I finally had them all removed it felt like living next to a ticking bomb.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone that makes fun of you guys for being southern and not being able to handle ice, are idiots.

I've lived in cold climates my entire life, and when we have an ice storm it's really bad news.

The worst one I ever lived through was in Washington on the coast of all places, and we lost 80% of our trees, and our power was out for 2 weeks.

Heck it took a week just to chainsaw our way out to the main road, and lots of older folks didn't make it.

Prayers for all you guys being affected by this stuff, stay away from anything that can fall.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Been the victim of significant icing twice.

IMO, with regard to weather's impact on nature, a widespread, bad icing is second only to giant (widespread) floods in destructiveness.  Not even hurricanes.  The weight of all that ice, accumulating feet from the ground, is a horror.  

It seems large-enough pines sacrifice limbs to survive.  Many large pines survived with just the very top of the tree still needled.   Small pines were doomed-all doomed.  Also seems hardwoods won't sacrifice limbs.  

Feb '94 in NW Alabama we were awakened by muffled gunfire.  Got up.  No power.  Opened the porch door and the world sounded shattered.  Billions of little crinkling sounds punctuated with booms.  We were renters in a small town.  My hometown.  Not even 1/2 mile from my old high school.  When it got light, we had no idea there was a house ~100 feet behind us.  All the 15' or so pines between us were snapped.  It seems small pines don't fall, they buckle.  There seemed to be an in-between size that bowed.  Many houses invisible yesterday were visible in the morning.  The worst of it was just before light when there was a light breeze.  Sitting in the dark we realized we could feel large masses hitting the ground, even if we didn't hear it.  We sat there gritting our teeth, waiting on the truly gigantic pines in the yard to crash.  They stayed, but with their limbs piled about them on the ground.  The long driveway, lined with medium pines, was a horrible, but beautiful, and still passable, tunnel of ice.  

Not sure how it worked but the house had an old-timey furnace.  The one with about a 2'x2' grill in the floor.  Would almost burn bare feet to step on it.  It didn't dawn on us till about 10am that were weren't cold.  Furnace didn't need electricity.  Ice lasted five days or so.  We still didn't have power the day the movers came to move us to Ga, but we had a house full of warm friends, some with their kids.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is deafening and depressing. Pretty helpless feeling too..

Probably lost over a hundred large live oak tree limbs so far. Sounds like gunshots outside every 30 seconds or so in all directions.

Fuck ice.
View Quote
Some of my trees suffered broken limbs many years ago during an ice storm and are still showing the damage with twisted branches.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Been without power for 24 hours so far. Encor energy sent a text last night saying we should seek other accommodations. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Up here in Ft Worth (2 hrs North of Austin)....
View Quote

Do not want to ride with you on I-35.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Stay safe, guys.  I hate an ice storm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yankees may laugh about it, but Southern Ice is no joke.

Back in the early '80s, an ice storm damn near totaled our petroleum coke plant in Port Arthur.
View Quote

we are used to driving on SNOW.  its waaaay different than glare ice.
glare ice suuuuuuucks

the main difference is we are set up to deal with it--- tons of plows nuking it with salt and other chemicals.
and our trees get piled with ice/snow every year, so we dont get all teh tree damage piled on at once.

good luck to our Southern folks.  pray for warmer weather to melt that crap off

as mentioned--dont try to walk on the ice.  it will wipe your ass out faster than you think you can react
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basic human decency is hard to understand for some Yankees.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

we are used to driving on SNOW.  
View Quote

I've lived muh who' life in the SE.  Some parts very flat (Tennessee Valley) and some places not (N. Ga.)

Hills/no hills = 'idiot drivers'/'smart drivers'.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Basic human decency is hard to understand for some Yankees.
View Quote

99% of us are decent ....(midwest anyway.)
i think we are very similar in kindness, and generally just trying to be good, decent folks
we just talk a bit different.
you  got yer ya-lls  (sp)      
and we have our "yaaaaas" and "dehr dens"

I know you all are nice, because when i visited...everyone kept saying "well bless your heart"

I would invite you all to come up to WI and have a visit (watch out for liberal shitholes like milwaukee, Madison)  --and wait till summer :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

99% of us are decent ....(midwest anyway.)
i think we are very similar in kindness, and generally just trying to be good, decent folks
we just talk a bit different.
you  got yer ya-lls  (sp)
and we have our "yaaaaas" and "dehr dens"
I would invite you all to come up to WI and have a visit (watch out for liberal shitholes like milwaukee, Madison)  --and wait till summer :)
View Quote

That's why I changed the wording to "some" on my end of the quote tree.

My father's side of the family hails from Wisconsin.  I like the people in Wisconsin.  Good folks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems like upper Midwest have never heard of the past participle of "see".
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I have posted some stupid shit in my life but when someone belittles a guy who is watching his beautiful oak trees getting destroyed by ice, I use site tools so that I don't have to hear them again.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#32]
That sucks for you guys, stay safe; ironically it was 80° here yesterday on the SE coast of GA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#33]
If you walk without rhythm you won't attract the worm
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#34]
That sucks with lose of the trees. I work a lot in San Antonio and further west of there and it is always good change of scenery from Houston. If there is a bright side to this it is that unlike hurricane aftermath clean up, y'all won't need to buy as much ice for the beer. Be safe and stay warm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230201_221744241_jpg-2694103.JPG

View from my hotel room.  I tapped out 100 miles south of Dallas.  

My truck is probably several thousand pounds overweight due to ice buildup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230201_145448726_jpg-2694105.JPG
View Quote

Car Hauler
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Just got off work and drove home about 8 miles in South Austin. About half the neighborhood were without power. There were trees and big branches down in the road everywhere. Looks like a war zone around here. We are fortunate and have not lost power and only a few small limbs down in our yard so far.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Just woke up with no power here near Dripping Springs and more trees missing sections.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Not much you can do with ice like this on everything…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#39]
For those of you in or around the DFW metro, how are the roads?

I look at the traffic apps, but I cant tell if everyone is staying off the roads or if they are ok.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wonder if you could burn some small fires under the canopies of trees that you wanted to protect.  You don't need much heat, just enough to keep the ice from forming.  But with open tops and air flow, it might wind up taking a lot of heat to do it.
View Quote

I was wondering the same. I know some orchards and vineyards do that on occasion to help protect their crops.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sober up and stop posting ignorant comments.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ice is bad.   4 wheel drive is of marginal help.   Best to stay home until the roads are not covered in ice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And oh, btw, for the random person that can’t resist making the old, tired jokes about Southerners and winter and driving….even in this thread about ice destroying majestic old trees…..I lived in Montana for a decade and hunted all Winter long in the mountains and in snow and such.  Southern ice sucks, it isn’t snow, and nobody, northerner or not, is going to drive on it without sand, chains, 4 wheel drive, and a heavy vehicle…..it isn’t snow, which is easy.

Ice is bad.   4 wheel drive is of marginal help.   Best to stay home until the roads are not covered in ice.

The good thing is that it's forecasted to get up to around 50 tomorrow and on Sunday it will get up to around 70 degrees at my parents place in Central TX.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Man I really hate seeing all this damage for you guys.

We had an ice storm here in Ky in 2002 or 2003 and power was out for a week.

Is there any relief in the next few days temperature wise?  My inlaws are in Lampasas and they're showing 53° for the high today.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Im sorry you guys are going through this. Ice storms are universally bad no matter where they happen.
Silver lining-buy that chainsaw you always wanted!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For those of you in or around the DFW metro, how are the roads?

I look at the traffic apps, but I cant tell if everyone is staying off the roads or if they are ok.
View Quote

Not great; not terrible.

I just drove through the DFW metroplex SE to NW on 287.  Roads are poor to fair. Not much traffic but plenty of assholes driving too fast for conditions.

I saw several TXDOT road crews out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Neighbors EV took a branch to the rear hatch. This is now an EV thread!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like Arkansas and west Tennessee are up next for icing. We are a little warmer here in west GA but completely saturated with more rain on the way. Septic problems have already started due to the soaked ground.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#48]
North side of Lake Travis close to Marble Falls here, had to take the tractor down to the county road to pull a tree off of it yesterday, blocked both directions.  That's not on my property thankfully.  Power was only out for about 20 hours, which impresses me considering what the work crews had to deal with.

I had one of those steel lawnmower sheds I keep propane tanks and gasoline in, it's smashed down on the tanks now. I can smell gas so I lost a can or two for sure.  
I'm surprised it broke so much cedar. Those are normally flexible enough to bend under the weight, but there is a 8" diameter one snapped in half about 5' off the ground.

I think all the limbs on the house just bought me a new roof.  Going to have to hire somebody to get those off, my roof climbing days are over.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firewood now.

Amen. I have 8"-16" branches that will require the tractor to move.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

No damage on this one except to my back eventually..cutting and moving it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top