User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
lol, Texas
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  It makes good sign and picnic table posts. I worked for the Indiana Forest Service for a year. Some of the thorns on the locust there got over 5". They last a long time as well. Tennis shoes in the areas I worked were forbidden. We had to wear steel shank/toed boots.
View Quote

I got a thorn through the leather side of my combat boot into the arch of my foot while hunting just south of Lawn.  Hurt like a mother.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  lol, Texas
View Quote

Lol @ all the folks from FM.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

HEB was as empty as i've ever seen it.  decided to restock for the next couple of days
View Quote
@Freakinout

HEB in Granbury was empty???  Don't think I have ever seen that lol.  Our little Brookshires in Glen Rose was rockin today about 3:30 when we went by.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honestly, if you go slow, it's not too bad right now. It's after this crap refrezes when things get really bad...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm over Canada on the way to DFW. Looks like I might need a hotel for a couple of days before I can get home

The hotels at the airport aren't bad.

Honestly, if you go slow, it's not too bad right now. It's after this crap refrezes when things get really bad...

My car is in my garage an hour and a half northwest of DFW so I have to rely on family to give me a ride home. None of them are willing to risk it

I'm less than 2 hours out now. No delay leaving Istanbul (aside from the usual cluster), we did leave an hour late because the boarding was so terrible. I have no idea if we'll get diverted or what but the radar looks like we might have a window to land.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I got a thorn through the leather side of my combat boot into the arch of my foot while hunting just south of Lawn.  Hurt like a mother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It makes good sign and picnic table posts. I worked for the Indiana Forest Service for a year. Some of the thorns on the locust there got over 5". They last a long time as well. Tennis shoes in the areas I worked were forbidden. We had to wear steel shank/toed boots.

Lawn Indiana I have never heard of. Locust thorns through the sides of boots, I have seent. Not purdy. Bloody as hell more than once.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where/what is FM?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They loot grocery stores and get into fights over bread for such things too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn’t Dallas close down for 1” of snow?

They close down for just the idea of snow.

Don't forget the TV's as well.  Gotta' have a TV to survive...
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@Freakinout

HEB in Granbury was empty???  Don't think I have ever seen that lol.  Our little Brookshires in Glen Rose was rockin today about 3:30 when we went by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEB was as empty as i've ever seen it.  decided to restock for the next couple of days
@Freakinout

This was the one in Burleson, but yeah it was basically empty.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn’t Dallas close down for 1” of snow?

They close down for just the idea of snow.

Snow forecasts don't usually get TVs looted so far as I know, this ain't florida
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Freakinout

Son of a gun, Burleson HEB is just as bad if not worse!  And the idjits in Burleson always seem to swarm Wal mart & HEB (And yes, I can speak on this - I lived there for 20 yrs)
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Son of a gun, Burleson HEB is just as bad if not worse!  And the idjits in Burleson always seem to swarm Wal mart & HEB (And yes, I can speak on this - I lived there for 20 yrs)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Freakinout

HEB is pretty much packed 24/7 so far as I can tell around here.  I've been to HEBs elsewhere that weren't nearly so bad and others that were way worse
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where/what is FM?
View Quote

Fucking Michigan
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fucking Michigan
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lawn Indiana I have never heard of. Locust thorns through the sides of boots, I have seent. Not purdy. Bloody as hell more than once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lawn, Texas, a former railroad reservoir, and now small town S of Abilene.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My car is in my garage an hour and a half northwest of DFW so I have to rely on family to give me a ride home. None of them are willing to risk it

I'm less than 2 hours out now. No delay leaving Istanbul (aside from the usual cluster), we did leave an hour late because the boarding was so terrible. I have no idea if we'll get diverted or what but the radar looks like we might have a window to land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm over Canada on the way to DFW. Looks like I might need a hotel for a couple of days before I can get home

As long as you didn't catch MonkeyPox, have a couch for you.  We're about 3 miles from the train station, can pick you up there, have an extra set of snowshoes you can wear on the hike back.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My son is on an oil rig in the PB. His hitch is up in the morning. They've asked his crew to stick around until/when the next crew shows up. It's pretty nasty out there, he says the last two nights "have been hell"
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of it.  We got a nice sized place in Eastland
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Never heard of it.  We got a nice sized place in Eastland
View Quote

Hunted ducks on the reservoir there.  Think my BIL and I blew through Eastland on the way back from rescuing the Naco worm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen one locust tree in Texas. I have fished from PK to Texoma, Fork, Ray Bob, Joe Pool and everything in between. I saw lots of snakes. I didn't walk the surrounding woods much. I dropped deuce and went on my way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where/what is FM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where/what is FM?

Federated States of Micronesia
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have not seen one locust tree in Texas. I have fished from PK to Texoma, Fork, Ray Bob, Joe Pool and everything in between. I saw lots of snakes. I didn't walk the surrounding woods much. I dropped deuce and went on my way.
View Quote
I'm just south of you and I can show you honey locust trees
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hunted ducks on the reservoir there.  Think my BIL and I blew through Eastland on the way back from rescuing the Naco worm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Never heard of it.  We got a nice sized place in Eastland

We have a bunch of good tanks but there are some decent bigger lakes up there
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long are the thorns?
iirc, you be west, southwest...
bout fiddy miles
No video of the mighty Ford on ice covered roads?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As long as you didn't catch MonkeyPox, have a couch for you.  We're about 3 miles from the train station, can pick you up there, have an extra set of snowshoes you can wear on the hike back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm over Canada on the way to DFW. Looks like I might need a hotel for a couple of days before I can get home

I truly appreciate it but I think the main roads are clear enough that I can find an Uber.

I just touched down uneventfully, no delays
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Freakinout

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Freakinout

I love my Granbury H-E-B. I went Sunday and stocked up and it was stupid busy.

Stay warm.  It’s supposed to get worse tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Probably this stuff:

https://smallfarms.cornell.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Blacklocust5-1x7vgzl.jpg

The thorns aren't 4 inches long up North, but maybe 2 inches. It is a "weed tree" that has energy density somewhat less than stuff like oak. It is extremely hard and stands dead a long time once dried out.  They don't get huge so often no splitting involved to get it into a stove.
View Quote

It is honey locust. Good for nothing and the thorns are sometimes 6" or more. Not good for firewood and rots quickly.

Attachment Attached File

Eta: Johnson county
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Fair enough. In my defense, a few things;

It is what I was told when I asked the question. Sadly, no one has soo far backed me up.

I also doubt that the dozens of users that have that as their location have even heard of Micronesia, let alone the Federated States there of.

Nor, have been too, Oceania. I can’t even find it on a globe. I know they couldn’t. No way they live there.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How long are the thorns?
iirc, you be west, southwest...
bout fiddy miles
No video of the mighty Ford on ice covered roads?
View Quote

Truck has been busy moving family but I should have it out today
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Just down the road

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Mrs. Nottooslow is a trauma nurse at a major Dallas hospital so she had to make the trek in. Left at 445 to be there by 7 last night.

Usual commute is 40 min.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I should drive the silver one today

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Going nowhere fast has new meanings
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
But so much glorious noise
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Hopefully that wasn't some someone's head.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#37]

LOL
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#38]
No instead of standing up and opening the door he smashed a hole in the windshield.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes

“I’ve got my 4x4, I’ve got my AT tires, I can go anywhere I want! Freedom of movement!”
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#40]
The way oak trees are falling in the hill country we may have a new governor by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I did a little ice skating this morning... without the skates...  solid ice on the streets.  Made walking the dog more sporting that usual.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#42]
A friends Austin neighborhood

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@Freakinout

View Quote

Granbury HEB had no cars in the lot last night, I figured they were closed
Kroger was open for me and three other shoppers. Beer and bread run and an excuse to get out a bit, but I didn't have any trouble on the roads.

Quoted:

View Quote

We had one on our little pond. The beavers didn't touch it, pretty gnarly thorns that make a mesquite look tame.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#45]

That windshield hole doesn't look promising for the passenger.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

straight pipes save lives
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Still can't figure out why he didn't just open the damned door, and climb out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Still can't figure out why he didn't just open the damned door, and climb out.

Unsecured cargo in a bed, goes out driving when he probably didn't have to, I guess he was going to fast because his truck is on its side and didn't just slide off the road.  

Is it too much of a stretch to say that this individual isn't very good at making sensible decisions?  

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#50]
NW Collin County here, far North DFW.  The ice this morning is exponentially worse than yesterday morning and what were sleet pellets hitting yesterday is now straight up rain drops, hitting and freezing at 25-26 degrees thus creating even more layers of ice.  I do a leisurely jog/walk of 2.3-3.0 miles 4-5 days a week if home, barring rain, 3 miles generally takes 30-35 mins in shorts/tshirt/running shoes.  I did the same walk yesterday morning(started out in snow boots, quickly retreated/regrouped into a pair of old Danner's) and it took 45 mins to do the 3 miles, today my pace was a slow crawl of the 2.3 and it was just shy of 1 hour due to black icing of EVERY flat surface.  Yesterday I drove after my walk 18 miles and back to check my elderly mother, AWD SUV had zero issues, today you could not pay me to drive on that ice.  I would fully expect that tomorrow morning will be even worse with what is forecasted to hit this afternoon.  In short, DFW is done for the week.

Be safe folks.

Hking
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top