Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 5:45:06 AM EDT
I'm looking at picking up a Rem 597 from my local Wally World before my next range visit.  A Ruger 10/22 is out of the question because of Bill and his magazine ban.  Does anyone have any tips/info they wouldnt mind sharing about the 597?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 10/22 & a 597.  
I prefer the 597.  It's smooth and accurate.
Be sure to load the magazines correctly and you shouldn't experience any feeding problems.  Mine likes the faster ammo.  I painted the stock Brownells matte black.  Mounted a Tasco Pro-Shot reticle 1.5-4.5x20 "turkey/slug-gun" scope on the Remington base in Kwik-Site low matte rings. Drilled into the stocks thickest part of the forend to mount an Uncle Mikes sling swivel stud, and drilled the buttstock a couple of inches from the end to mount a swivel stud there, too.  Installed an Uncle Mikes sling.  It's a great little rifle and I can use the factory sights as well as the scope.
Get one.

The 10/22 is okay, and I've set it up to be my "suvival rifle" with a Hogue rubber stock; Vortex flash hider (okay to use with the regular style stock and it fits the std. bbl.); BEC Rubber Armored scope; Weaver T-09 base; Choate bbl. cover filed to fit the scope base; and a "Claw" rubber sling.  I bought a couple of the 30-rd. mags for it, but, the factory mags or the aftermarket 10-rd. mags are fine. Almost forgot to add I installed the recoil buffer, and have yet to install the titanium extractor.  You can spend more on the accessories for a 10/22 than you paid for the rifle in the first place!
The "Rubber Rifle" is okay, but, as I said, I prefer the Remington 597.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got both.  A 10/22 that I bought new and put a scope on, and a 597 I got for $50 w/ a broken extractor.  Sent the bolt off for repair (Remington wouldn't sell me an extractor assy.) Priority Mail (3.50), warranty repair (free), and wound up with a like-new rifle for $53.50.  

I can shoot the 597 better with open sights than the Ruger with the scope.  The 597 has excellent iron sights and an excellent trigger.  The Ruger has a crappy trigger pull that makes everything else moot.  I also don't think it's as accurate as the 597.  I know I could buy a trigger kit and a bull barrel, but why should I when the 597 shoots so well without any extra attention.

You'll like the 597.  It's slightly larger than the Ruger, feels like a full-size firearm, not a toy.  The trigger is very similar to the AR-15.  The barrel is very accurate.  The bolt rides on TWO rods, whereas the Ruger only has one.  I have had no feeding problems with the double stack magazines for the 597.  The magazine release is in basically the same location as the AR.  The cross-bolt safety behind the trigger is simple to operate.  The 597 has built-in scope mounting rails on the receiver.  All-in-all I think you'll like the Remington.  JMHO

[heavy]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive had extraction problems on mine, expecially after 20 RDs.  If I was to do it again, I would probably try a Ruger stainless 1022.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
i have had a 597 for years. got it just when it came out. its a fine weapon, really acurate, way more than the 10/22 out of the box. also i hear the new 597 in 22 mag is suposed to be a real winner. supposed to be REALLY acurate.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
i forgot to mention, the iron sites are the BEST. that simple. they adjust really well and are really visable. just great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top