Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 150
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
According to this even the old style AR pistols with only a buffer tube is now illegal.

(4) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder
is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component,
or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;
View Quote

So a short  barreled firearm with just a picatinny section in the rear is ok? Like Foxtrot Mike and Jakl?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ewald:
I have a 120 days to make my braced pistol legal, but I can't make it legal since my state made it illegal to sell parts earlier this week.

It is almost like someone planned it that way.
View Quote

Good news, the second felony on a gun cancels out the first....so you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Nutro:

So a short  barreled firearm with just a picatinny section in the rear is ok? Like Foxtrot Mike and Jakl?
View Quote
Is a picatinny rail an extension of the receiver?

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The litigation around this turd sandwich of a "rule" is going to YUGE.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Off to PSA to buy 10.5 and 11.5 uppers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
They literally have no way to prove that. This is about to turn into a trash fire.
View Quote

With the pictures you send when submitting?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Everrest:

If you submit within 120 days after publication you are OK.
pg 13
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything with a buffer tube is an SBR.

But also some braces are legal.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
According to this even the old style AR pistols with only a buffer tube is now illegal.

(4) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder
is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component,
View Quote

So ALL pistol-style AR15's are now illegal?  They ALL have buffer extension tubes.    Every single one of them.

(I'm talking REAL AR15's, not Sig MCX or other non-buffer tube designs)
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]
So what about a pistol brace on a pistol Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Declaring all AR etc pistols illegal because of the buffer tube would be total BS on their part.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess if someone already has registered SBR's on file, then they might as well register their pistols?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
Off to PSA to buy 10.5 and 11.5 uppers.
View Quote
just wait. The ee will be flooded
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
So......

If I have a few 80% lowers sitting around I can make them all SBRs for free?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Free SBRs let's look at the bright side. And in 2 years this will get tossed by the USC so we can have some free SBRs and the brace rule is so ridiculous it will get shot down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just logged into eforms, nothing different in the Form 1 process

But it looks like I see more categories on the left side, not sure if those were there before or not.

Attachment Attached File

Is this new or am I just forgetting how its always been?

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#17]
Pistol buffer tubes have been around a lot more than 10 years.  Mare's Lags have been legal for more than a century.  Yet the new rule appears to allow the ATF to make anything illegal it wants to.  Hell, a collapsible stock is potentially illegal because it can be disassembled and made into an illegal brace.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
So if I put back on a pistol buffer tube is that counted as something that can be shouldered?

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
So, can lawsuits start once it's published in the federal register?  Or not until after the 120 days?
View Quote

One can only challenge a final rule IF, and ONLY if, they are a commenter to the proposed rule which gives them standing to sue. Assuming one submitted comments, then they would be able to bring suit. And to answer your question, that time would be the first day after the rule is finalized. Just because it publishes as a final rule does not create finalization, typically there is a 30 day period after final rule publishing to which the rule becomes final. Then one could make a challenge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:
So what about a pistol brace on a pistol https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/351853/2DC52062-F336-4D9D-AEF5-A7F7D8352ED3_jpe-2670601.JPG
View Quote

The document includes a link to various pictures of guns now considered to be SBR's. They specifically include Glocks with Roni, MCK, and Flux braces, as well as others.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
The litigation around this turd sandwich of a "rule" is going to YUGE.
View Quote
It's a complete shitshow. I generally don't think there's going to be a magical dismantling of the NFA by the supreme court, but if anything were to result in that, it'd be this. The rules are vague and confusing to gun people. The casual gun owner isn't going to understand it at all, or likely even ever know that they're in possession of a felony.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#22]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
Just owning a brace is illegal without it on a stamped SBR.

View Quote

If these fuckers are calling a brace a stock then it is a stock and people should be able to put it on any rifle they want.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#23]
Sounds like the braces you want to convert have to be already assembled.
Enforcement starts NOW.(may wait 60 days) pg 14

Notwithstanding the 120-day compliance period, discussed above, the rule is immediately effective in that the Department may seek to enforce the NFA’s requirements with respect to any new making or new transfer of a weapon with an attached  “stabilizing  brace”that  constitutes a short-barreled  rifle under the NFA. The Department believes that delaying enforcement of the relevant NFA provisions is not necessary to allow an equitable opportunity for compliance because all persons, through publication of this rule, have received notice that the NFA may in fact apply to their conduct. Further  delaying    enforcement also  would be in consistent with  public safety. Therefore, ATF may enforce the NFA against any person or entity that—any time after the publication date of this rule—[b]newly makes or transfers a weapon with an attached “stabilizing brace” that constitutes a short-barreled rifle under the NFA. For purposes of the Congressional Review Act, however, the Department will wait to actually initiate such enforcement actions for at least 60 days from publication of the rule in the Federal Register.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
Sounds like a road trip is in order to a fun shop right on the border.

The bigger challenge IIRC is that IL won't let you have an SBR without a C&R FFL.  If you want one of those within 120 days, you should send off your application within the next hour.
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone defending this bs needs to
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
Article I, Section 9, Clause 3:

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

Was legal when I bought it.  They can fuck off back to Washington DC
View Quote

The Founders would really have a stroke over “Administrative action with the force of law”.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

If this fuckers are calling a brace a stock then it is a stock and people should be able to put it on any rifle they want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
Just owning a brace is illegal without it on a stamped SBR.

If this fuckers are calling a brace a stock then it is a stock and people should be able to put it on any rifle they want.
No shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol ok. Congrats on that bundle of papers. I couldn't give any less of a shit about it. Multiple violations of the constitution in there. Null and void.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

"For purposes of NFA registration, affected firearms that include the markings required by the GCA can be
registered with the original marking if the firearm has already been marked in accordance
with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102"

I think this means no additional engraving required?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Originally Posted By HungLo:
And if one registers for the "Free Stamp™", I'm assuming the firearm has to be engraved with the required NFA info.

"For purposes of NFA registration, affected firearms that include the markings required by the GCA can be
registered with the original marking if the firearm has already been marked in accordance
with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102"

I think this means no additional engraving required?

They are really making this up as they go. How is that any different than any other form 1 AR. If they are declaring that the owner “rediesigned / manufactured “ when they installed the brace. Lol what a cluster fuck. Any whoms, will not comply unless I can get a free SBR out of the deal. Already on the registry anyways. If that turns out to be the case I rotate my brace on all of my lowers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
So......

View Quote

Better to use serialized firearms and save the 80s for something you won't tell the government about.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Hking:
Just logged into eforms, nothing different in the Form 1 process

But it looks like I see more categories on the left side, not sure if those were there before or not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/363844/eformsq_png-2670603.JPG

Is this new or am I just forgetting how its always been?

View Quote

I logged into mine and see the same thing
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HungLo:
What a fuck story.

So if registering under the "Free Stamp™" deal, does that mean the "Free Stamp™" only applies to the "brace", OR can you hang a regular stock on it since it's became a SBR?

And if one registers for the "Free Stamp™", I'm assuming the firearm has to be engraved with the required NFA info.

Maybe the answers are in the .pdf?
View Quote

The answers are in the PDF and FAQ
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:

Absolutely nothing ... to me.

I'll continue to use my legally purchased braces, and factory braced pistols.  The feds can FOAD for all I care.
View Quote

sooooo, you gonna convert them to full auto also

same violation so why are you not doing that also?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Ha, really sucks for me and quite a few others that own S&W 15-22 “pistols”.
The buffer tube is a standard that is a molded piece of the receiver.
Hmmm, either ignore the ruling or dremmel time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
So......

View Quote

The way I read it they already have to be “made” with a “stabilizing brace” at time of the rule being published.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

View Quote
So long as you have a single brace
>Attach to one gun
>take photo
>attach to the next gun you want a free stamp for
>take photo

Rinse and repeat. The question is how goofy they'll allow people to get. If you duct tape a brace to a glock, does that count? It wouldn't be too hard to jury rig up a more sturdy dohicky than tape to mount them to guns that weren't originally designed to accommodate them either, should tape be considered insufficient.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#38]
So they know due to the bumpstock ruling and ADA that this will be struck down. That’s why they eliminated the worksheet.  The challenge will take at least 120 days. So they’ll get as many on record with a form 1 as is possible before the ruling.

Look over here, a shiny stamp!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Spade:
Page 232

They're claiming the number of people with braces must be low because only 158 people turned in bump stocks.

lol
View Quote
Yeah that is wild.  I think I saw a total of like 4 bumpstocks on guns in real life.  I can't tell you how many braced or AR pistols with the buffer tube I've seen at gun stores, gun shows, and at the ranges over the past I don't know what 10 or so years that they've been commonly around.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rollpin:
So the 120 day thing...

does that mean they aren't enforcing the rule for 120 days or just that someone has 120 days to comply in some fashion?

On day 90, someone has a braced pistol and is pulled over... 30 days to comply still or charged with possession of an SBR?
View Quote

Ot means you have 120 days to comment and make a stink and after that they decode hiw they will proceed. M855 and other proposed rule changed have been decided against after the comment period.

In light of the 2a, Bruen, the bumpstock reversal, and many other cases won-why are people acting like this is even remotely constitutional and worth a 2nd thought?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#41]
The ATF will need large banner signs in front of Walmart to make this even begin to work.

But, they know that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Comments Received
"Many commenters questioned ATF’s assertion that this rule will improve public
safety and believed that there is no evidence to demonstrate that Americans will be safer
if this rule goes into effect. Commenters asserted that criminals are not going to care
about this rule and that this rule will do nothing to prevent or mitigate actual criminal
activity."

Department Response
"The Department disagrees with commenters that the rule has no value or that
there is no benefit to the rule. The perception that the rule serves no function to enhance
public safety is directly opposed to the purpose and intent of the NFA. Congress passed
that statute for the express purpose of regulating specific firearms, like short-barreled
rifles, which Congress determined posed a greater risk to public safety as “gangster-type” weapons of an especially unusual and dangerous nature."

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mancow:
It says you have to render it inop or get rid of it. However, it says it doesn't apply to 16"+ "rifles". So, what if you only have 16" rifles? What if you have a mix of both pistols and rifles. Does the mere existence of a pistol upper and a brace in the same location constitute some sort of "constructive intent"?

This shit is retarded.
View Quote

I believe you mean "constructive possession".
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#44]
is a registered braced pistol, still considered a pistol?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#45]
From the FAQ:

10. ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED AS A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR) CAN I REMOVE/CHANGE THE
“STABILIZING BRACE” OR ATTACH AN ITEM MARKETED AS A STOCK? IF SO, AM I REQUIRED TO NOTIFY ATF
IN ADVANCE?
• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the “brace” device or stock for a
different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed
you will need to notify the NFA Division.

ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED, AM I REQUIRED TO MARK THE FIREARM SINCE I MANUFACTURED

A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR)?
• If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance
period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking
exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the
firearm is a personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92
& 479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.
MISCELLANEOUS

Free SBRs and you don't have to mark them.  Good if you were about to do some anyway.  Bad for every other reason.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

0" x 0".
View Quote

What if you take one of those MPA Mac clones and shoulder the square area at the back of the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
>Attach to one gun
>take photo
>take photo

Rinse and repeat. The question is how goofy they'll allow people to get. If you duct tape a brace to a glock, does that count? It wouldn't be too hard to jury rig up a more sturdy dohicky than tape to mount them to guns that weren't originally designed to accommodate them either, should tape be considered insufficient.
View All Quotes

>Attach to one gun
>take photo
>take photo

That would be “making” a new SBR. If you have a new brace you need it installed before the rule is published.
Enforcement starts NOW on making new.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Which one of you fudds was this?

Onecommenter,whoidentifiedasaformergunsmithandlicenseewith experience in the firearms industry for over 15 years, stated that he has “never seen anyoneutilizeabraceinthemannerthatitwasoriginallydesigned.” Thecommenter also stated that he has “often found that the vast majority of ‘brace’ designs cannot be actually used as intended.” The commenter pointed out several types of weapons with braces, such as the CZ Evo Scorpion pistol, which are “clearly [weapons] designed to be firedfromtheshoulder.” Thecommenterstronglyurgedthatalltheseweaponsshouldbe reclassified as NFA weapons, which is how he believes they should have been initially designated
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Don’t forget about 922r (if that sort of thing concerns you ).  How many braced foreign made MP5’s, CZ Scorpions, Stribogs, AK’s (and more I’m not thinking of) are out there that could be made of 100% foreign parts as pistols.  Now as rifles once SBR’d will need to have additional parts swapped with US made parts to be compliant.  Again if you’re concerned with such things.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ben:

What if there was a bunch of guys overseas with AR pistols stored various places back home- who cannot provide pictures or a notorized copy of their trust while overseas...and who won't be back til well after the rule is in affect?

Hmm. I know more than several folks in this situation. Could be fun to play out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ben:
They literally have no way to prove that. This is about to turn into a trash fire.

What if there was a bunch of guys overseas with AR pistols stored various places back home- who cannot provide pictures or a notorized copy of their trust while overseas...and who won't be back til well after the rule is in affect?

Hmm. I know more than several folks in this situation. Could be fun to play out.

Well it won't be fucking boring that's for sure.
Page / 150
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top