Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 10:40:22 PM EDT
[URL]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010529/sp/pga_martin_players_dc_2.html[/URL]

DUBLIN, Ohio (Reuters) - PGA Tour players gathered here at Muirfield for this week's Memorial Tournament expressed mixed feelings about the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites)'s ruling Tuesday to allow disabled golfer Casey Martin to ride a golf cart between shots at PGA events.

----------------

I think the Supreme Court may have made a proper ruling based on the law, but this is a very slippery slope.  Will the NBA be forced to let midgets wear stilts?  Will swim teams allow asthmatics to use scuba tanks?  These are not likely, but I just don't want to go there.  I could imagine an older guy on the PGA tour having a bad back or arthritis.  Should they have an accomadation as well???
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the law is that golf is considered a profession and is subject to the ADA like any other profession.  Golf was defined by the court as the precision use of clubs to hit a ball.  Based on that, why bother to design a golf course to hold a tournament?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It really does bastardize the game. I guess if this is enforced they will all ride carts to level the playing field.

I'm all for being fair but, imagine the possibilities.

Motorcycles for running the bases, etc.

Anyone remember Rollerball?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am trying out for the Lakers next year and I WILL make the team.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

What prosthetic will you be using?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are trying out for the Lakers, you will need an artificial ego inflater.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.

I am handicapped.

I was born under-tall. Essentially, I have a condition called "height deficiency."

Therefore, Shaq and Kobie and Tim Duncan and Glenn Robinson and Karl Malone and all the other guys taller than me will NOT be allowed to jump when playing next year, so that we ALL have a "level playing field."

I'm sorry Mr. Martin got a raw deal. I'm sorry life wasn't fair to him. I'm sorry his dream is to play PGA golf, and he's got a circulatory problem.

But this SCOTUS decision is fooked in the head. Now, essentially the best players in the world at their chosen sport will have to accomodate every stray cat that wants to play the game.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see the problem at all.

The WALKING from shot to shot part is not a significant part of playing golf.  The game is about swinging a club and hitting a ball accurately.  

All of these golf players in the PGA that didn't want this guy to be allowed to use the cart are the same ones who have a caddy to carry their clubs.  Explain that logic!?!?  If walking to the next shot is such a big and significant part of the game, why is carrying your own clubs not part of the game too?  What a bunch of whiny hypocrites - in my opinion.  

If they were playing speedgolf (I think that's the name), where you carry your own clubs, and your score is a combination of your score and your running time through the course - THEN he should of course not be allowed to ride, but for regular golf is make no difference at all.

View Quote

Completely agreed. But going to the supreme court over a stupid game, and them ACCEPTING the case is a waste of mine and your money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Considering the portly physiques that a lot of Professional Golfers have, I doubt that walking is a big part of the game. Especially since they don't even carry their own clubs. The PGA allows caddies, so why not let this guy ride a cart part way around the course. When it comes down to it, hitting the ball is the game not walking around with your own personal step and fetch it following you around the fairway.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The WALKING from shot to shot part is not a significant part of playing golf.  The game is about swinging a club and hitting a ball accurately.  

View Quote

I disagree.

Recently, one round of golf of a PGA event was rained out, and the decision was made to play the round the next day - for a total of THIRTY SIX holes in one day.

You are gonna tell me that a cart WOULDN'T be a competetive advantage in such a  scenario??

If its an advantage under such a scenario, then its ONLY a lesser advantage under a usual 18 hole day.

I used to play, back in my early twenties. I could DEFINITELY tell the difference at the end of 18 holes walking, and 18 holes riding. And I was in MUCH better shape then than MOST PGA players.

Golf is like match shooting. The NUMBER ONE factor in success is CONCENTRATION. Comparative tiredness DEFINITELY affects you ability to coincentrate.

With the cart, Casey Martin WILL be less tired, and therefore MORE able to concentrate. It gives HIM a competetive advantage, and tilts the playing field in his advantage.

But mostly, I resent the federal gov't interfering here. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, is now outside of their jurisdiction anymore. Other than perhaps the OTHER ruling handed down the same day re: there refusal to hear an appeal by the residents of a small town who lost their right to display a copy of the Ten Commandments. The Supremes refused to hear the appeal, but sent down a golf ruling.

Tell me THAT ain't screwed up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I do think walking IS a part of the game.  It can get pretty hot here, and walking 18 holes in 100f heat, can suck you dry.  Tournament play is usually 4 days long, so you could be dragin' on the 4th day.  I agree that they should all carry their own clubs, but the key word is ALL.  PGA golf is very competitive, and even a slight edge, can make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh, and one more thing-

We USED to be a nation of people that DESPITE our various "handicaps" we sought to overcome them and STILL play by the same rules that everybody else who didn't have our particular handicap, did.

Now, we look for somebody to sue, to lower the bar, so that anybody can get in.

We're a nation of pussies. And Casey martin was just granted Kingship over the pussies, until somebody else whimpier than him comes along.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who haven't seen Casey Martin, I can assure you that the walking he will still have to do is a lot more tiring for him than any walking anyone else has to do.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course all the PGA players will use carts now -- they'll need them to haul their lawyers along. [:D]

"Sharky, I'm a little under the weather today.  Get a restraining order to suspend the tournament until I'm feeling better."
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#15]
That was fast, what ever happen to the Emmerson case?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]
EODGuy,

ALL of the player are required to walk the exact same course.  What would you expect all the other players to do, drop and give 20 after each shot to level the field?  Sports require performance, and walking the course is a part of that requirement for golf.  The fatigue of walking, coupled with the potential for hot weather, makes it a challenge for all of the golfers.  Otherwise, they could have the PGA play on a driving range (with air conditioning).
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quote from DK-Prof -
View Quote

The problem is that the right to freely associate in a PRIVATE enterprise is now subject to the whims of Congress.

This, the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
was probably the worse thing that George Sr did while he was Prez.

If Sears, WalMart, etc., don't feel the need to put in a ramp, then f-'em, go shop elsewhere!
The 'marketplace' will determine the wisdom of those stores' failure to accommodate the disabled consumers, and their families.

My stepdaughter is disabled and the ADA hasn't
done anything for her that her mother and I couldn't have done on our own, at OUR cost, not yours.

Explain that logic!?!?
View Quote

Don't need to explain that logic, it's THEIR rules, not mine. It's a private matter!

Ben Hogan suffered a near-fatal car wreck in Feb., 1949.  Both legs shattered. Doctors said he'd never walk again, but he thought otherwise. His story of rehabilitation is incredible.  He asked for, and received, no special consideration for his injuries. Yet he went on to conquer his 'disabilities' on the green, not in the Courthouse!  He won the US Open in 1950, and three major tourneys in 1953! Six of his nine titles came after the wreck!

BTW I don't play golf, so I'll be pleased to allow those who do play golf to explain the reasons for PGA rules, if they 'feel' that they have to explain the rules of a private game!

Jeeze, the Supreme Court really botched this one!  Guess they don't have many duffers in the group.

What professional sport is next?

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ben Hogan suffered a near-fatal car wreck in Feb., 1949.  Both legs shattered. Doctors said he'd never walk again, but he thought otherwise. His story of rehabilitation is incredible.  He asked for, and received, no special consideration for his injuries. Yet he went on to conquer his 'disabilities' on the green, not in the Courthouse!  He won the US Open in 1950, and three major tourneys in 1953! Six of his nine titles came after the wreck!

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! EXACTLY!!!!!!!! SUB-MOA!!!!!!!!!

I'd repost your ENTIRE post, but bandwidth, ya know....

Great points re:

1. ADA
2. Sears, Walmart and the free market
3. Your stepdaughter, and WHO should pay her way.
4. Private enterprise.
5. other sports.
6. Ben Hogan, and how we've turned into a nation of overly litigious wimps.

Again, GREAT post!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
With this ruling can I attend CalTech because I am academically challenged???

[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Once again, garandman wins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top