Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2001 9:29:50 PM EDT
H.R. 1918 (Student Adjustment Act of 2001), recently introduced by Rep. Chris Cannon of Utah, would remove financial aid restrictions placed on illegal aliens. The bill would allow the states to determine residency requirements for higher education, instruct the INS to cancel deportation of these individuals, and adjust their status to that of “lawfully admitted for permanent residence”. These changes make them eligible for federal financial benefits (welfare and financial aid) just as it is available to US citizens. To be eligible, the individual must be less than 21 years old and have lived in the US for the previous 5 years.

Without sounding mean spirited, what are the Feds doing offering welfare and Pell Grants to illegal aliens?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Work hard boys as millions on welfare are depending on you!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
How 'bout all these freeloaders stay at Chris Cannon's Funkin' house. (if he's so damned concerned about 'em)
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Cannon is my representative (supposedly a Republican.)  What the hell is he thinking!  I can't believe it.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
We are one global family and people from all nations, regardless of immigration laws, should be able to come to the U.S. and receive all financial assistance available.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If Cannon runs out of room, the overflow can stay at Imbrog's house. [):)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Viva America!  El Gringos es muy Loco!

Fiesta at el Imbrog casa!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could see Imbrogs face when he talks this way.  He certainly couldn't hold a straight face.  Could he?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Viva America!  El Gringos es muy Loco!

Fiesta at el Imbrog casa!
View Quote

con ten cases de budweisers!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Si Senior!  Mi Hermana, Una Fat Latina, like Imbrog!...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
A more reaching bill is here in Kali. for tax payers to foot money into the kitty for illegals to go to college.  I feel like a space alien living out here... BEAM ME UP !!! [puke]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#12]
That's great, most can't read. now you'll pay for eight years of their college! brilliant idea.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a grip . . .

The bill moves authority from the Feds to the state. As a GOPig you should like the shift of Federal control to states.

Just for the record. Students who obtain Pell Grants and finish school more then repay the money in additional taxes derived from the higher paying income of a college education.

A college educated workforce is essential to the US infrastructure. It's what makes us economically competitive in a high-tech world. Otherwise we'd be like China, Mexico, and Taiwan . . . a cheap source of unskilled labor.

Every time I hear some GOPig pissin' and moanin' about "MY" money, I want to slap them up 'side the head and ask them when's the last time they invested "THEIR" money in a highway, education, defense, hospitals, national wilderness areas, public transportation, environmental quality, law enforcement, fire protection.

GOP . . . "Group Of Pigs." Fiscally and morally the GOP is a bunch of swine.

The Dems are Asses (literally) when it comes to gun control.

I've had it with both parties and the reactionary Ditto Heads who march in unthinking lockstep to the Party drum beat.

[moon]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Will someone please explaing to me, why I paid for college myself, why I work 10 hours a day for my hard earned money, why I don't get to spend all day with my family.  All so 1/3 plus of my hard earned money goes to someone that is milking the freakin' system!!!!!!!

God, it almost makes me want to quit, and sit on my ass.  What these freakin' idiot politicians, and the freakin' morons that vote for them don't realize, is that by the time they are done redistributing money, everybody will be just as poor as when they started!!! Well except for the politicians.  

Man, this makes me sick, and people look at me funny when I say mine the damn border!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Every time I hear some GOPig pissin' and moanin' about "MY" money, I want to slap them up 'side the head and ask them when's the last time they invested "THEIR" money in a highway, education, defense, hospitals, national wilderness areas, public transportation, environmental quality, law enforcement, fire protection.
View Quote

Ever hear of taxes??????????????

We ALL invest in those things.  I just don't like the idea of financing the education of the world.  Or shall we start building public and FREE universities across the globe????

Any other funds that aren't taken by the gubmint are usually spent--> more benefit to the economy.

Econ 101-- kinda refreshing isn't it?

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Just for the record. Students who obtain Pell Grants and finish school more then repay the money in additional taxes derived from the higher paying income of a college education.
View Quote
...right, ok, you are sounding just like a politician.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Matts, it pays to be worthless in this country.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
MarkM,

You are so right right.
The state of America right now makes me want to [puke][puke][puke][puke][puke].
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
PowderBurns, I agree with you to the extent that college graduates normally earn higher wages and as a result, the money spent on Pell Grants is returned to the system for the next guy who needs a little help (but it goes into the general fund, of course).

However, I believe this money should be reserved for American citizens -- not for illegal aliens, naturalized citizens, or permanent residents. One of the requirements of residency is that you be self-supporting. That could mean you have a job lined-up before you immigrate here or you have relatives who will sponsor you AND provide you with financial support until you become self-supporting. Those here on student and worker VISAs should receive no financial aid, of course.

The problem with this bill is it makes non-citizens eligible for benefits that were historically reserved for citizens. If we fail to differentiate between citizens and non-citizens, it will get to the point where immigrants will see no benefit in citizenship at all. This is not the kind of country we want to live in. I would rather see this money go to US citizens. For instance, given the choice of helping illegal aliens or poor Southern Blacks, I would opt to help the Blacks. Wouldn’t you?

As far as moving authority from the Feds to the state, this is only for the residency requirement. The money comes from the Feds, hence from all of us.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Matt S, don't complain. If you lived in CA you'd be paying over 40% combined Fed and State.
[puke]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Matts, it pays to be worthless in this country.
View Quote

Well when am I going to receive my dividends?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]
DK-Prof, I believe the bill is aimed more towards the children of illegal aliens, most of whom are in school just like anyone else's kids. I don't know about your state, but in my state we have millions of illegals (a realistic figure) so it affects us more than most. Add to that our Community Colleges, who will take ANYONE; and our California State University system, who will take just about anyone, and the numbers are higher than you might think. The biggest problem is it changes their immigration status to that of legal resident, which makes them eligible for both educational grants and general welfare payments.

In any case, I believe these benefits should be reserved for US citizens. Don't you?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Well when am I going to receive my dividends?
View Quote

Edison Intl (parent company of Southern California Edison) and PG&E are paying 9-10% dividends right now. Buy some stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top