BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a... creative way to interpret what I wrote. Of course he deserves the money. So much so that it should never have been forcibly taken from him in the first place.

My point was that calling it "paying in" to the system is a euphemism, since you have no choice. You don't "pay" a robber when he holds you up at gunpoint, even if he says he'll show up later to return your money with interest.
View Quote

Shoot the robber in the act if you believe that.

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Unlike some people I won't insist that it be kept in place.  Or that other, unrelated programs be stopped first.  I see no morality in stealing from others because I was stolen from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is sad.  I didn't know how much hatred there is towards another generation of Americans.  A generation who didn't have a choice in any of this.  We just got jobs and went to work, paid our taxes...and God forbid, expected to collect some back.

I'm also genuinely surprised at the attitude and comments from the military folks.  There's way more lines separating us in America than I realized.  

Some of you hoping for violence towards Americans.  

Your generation had the choice.  It's just unpopular.

Doesn't every generation have the same choice?

We do.  But when even conservatives turn into Bolsheviks it's nearly impossible.  We'll just have to wait until it's an unavoidable crisis or leave the dumpster fire to our kids.  

What?  So now you might not be able to fix this mess, because of the same reasons our generation didn't fix it?  And now you say you might be forced to leave it to your kids?  Imagine that....

It was a long trip for you, but welcome to reality.  You have arrived.  

Unlike some people I won't insist that it be kept in place.  Or that other, unrelated programs be stopped first.  I see no morality in stealing from others because I was stolen from.

careful champ, you're arguing with a genuine rebel here. He might blow up a kindergarten if you keep disagreeing with him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stop it now.

View Quote
Yes, absolutely
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good idea!

We should apply that to anyone who works another job after earning one retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about retirees O-6 and above who retire and go to work for the government or a defense contractor get their retirement pay cut commensurately for the duration of said engagement?

Good idea!

We should apply that to anyone who works another job after earning one retirement.

At least for Government workers.  I knew a Public School teacher in her 40's who had retired after 20 years, was collecting retirement, and had gone back to teaching in the same system while collecting said retirement.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

What choice would that have been.
Noone I know in real life has ever been talking about doing away with social security. This is the only place I ever hear the topic discussed, and it's generally younger posters who are convinced that they'll never draw from the program
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Noone I know in real life has ever been talking about doing away with social security. This is the only place I ever hear the topic discussed, and it's generally younger posters who are convinced that they'll never draw from the program
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep - the younger ignorant generation!
They have the choice also - let's see if they can do any better than those of us who tried.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The country as a whole has choices.  The problem is that at point the majority believe it's a program that should be in place.  So we'll be stuck waiting until it's a crisis that we simply can't ignore any more.

George W. Bush tried to partially privatize the system, which would have actually made individual accounts, and got blasted for it.  And that was just doing a minor tweak rather than even suggesting that the program be discontinued.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The country as a whole has choices.  The problem is that at point the majority believe it's a program that should be in place.  So we'll be stuck waiting until it's a crisis that we simply can't ignore any more.

George W. Bush tried to partially privatize the system, which would have actually made individual accounts, and got blasted for it.  And that was just doing a minor tweak rather than even suggesting that the program be discontinued.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you able to grasp why it's not going away?  So far, all you've done is piss and moan about the mean old boomers.  I've yet to see a reasonable solution posted by you or anyone else in this thread.  

Let's hear your plan.  Don't forget you need to convince a majority of Americans to go along.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you able to grasp why it's not going away?  So far, all you've done is piss and moan about the mean old boomers.  I've yet to see a reasonable solution posted by you or anyone else in this thread.  

Let's hear your plan.  Don't forget you need to convince a majority of Americans to go along.
View Quote

There was a phased transition suggested perhaps five pages ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Only if I get a refund.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

^

This is the solution.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^

This is the solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^

This is the solution.

Summary?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Summary?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^

This is the solution.

Summary?

Phased out over decades.

All current collectors keep full amount.  Brackets will be changed so that each bracket will collect a smaller and smaller amount until its essentially 0.

Each generation that gets a lower payout also gets a significantly higher contribution limit than the generation above.

E.G 10k IRA limit per year. 50k 401k contribution limit.

Social security tax will be phased out as well until it reaches 0 and becomes a normal congressional pension for all collectors similar to Civil War pensions.

The above is NOT perfect by any means and would need lots of tweaking, but I believe it's a good first step.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Summary?
View Quote

I don't recall.   It would need assessment how it would work over decades but it was a suggestion.

NotCaliforniaLegal...was that your suggestion?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Phased out over decades.

All current collectors keep full amount.  Brackets will be changed so that each bracket will collect a smaller and smaller amount until its essentially 0.

Each generation that gets a lower payout also gets a significantly higher contribution limit than the generation above.

Social security tax will be phased out as well until it reaches 0 and becomes a normal congressional pension for all collectors similar to Civil War pensions.

The above is NOT perfect by any means and would need lots of tweaking, but I believe it's a good first step.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^

This is the solution.

Summary?

Phased out over decades.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Phased out over decades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^

This is the solution.

Summary?

Phased out over decades.

On the surface, does not seem unreasonable.  Not sure I'm following the bold text,  maybe it's significantly lower contribution limit?  A typo maybe?

Any politicians onboard?  I can respect the program is flawed and needs to be fixed.  

Autistic gamers bawling about shutting it off because it's not a contract so tough shit, is moronic and will go no where.    
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

On the surface, does not seem unreasonable.  Not sure I'm following the bold text,  maybe it's significantly lower contribution limit?  A typo maybe?

Any politicians onboard?  I can respect the program is flawed and needs to be fixed.  

Autistic gamers bawling about shutting it off because it's not a contract so tough shit, is moronic and will go no where.    
View Quote

You still have to support the system by paying in Social security taxes.

In return if you're in Gen Z for example you get higher IRA contribution limits than the baby boomers

Want to put 10k in a Roth every year?

Go for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Politicians are not onboard since SS has made multiple generations of Americans reliant on ever increasing federal spending.

PS:  In retrospect I regret trying to teach you something.  You clearly aren't interested in facts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In return if you're in Gen Z for example you get higher IRA contribution limits than the baby boomers

Go for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it.

ah...I was thinking max social security taxes.  Gotcha...that makes sense.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Politicians are not onboard since SS has made multiple generations of Americans reliant on ever increasing federal spending.

PS:  In retrospect I regret trying to teach you something.  You clearly aren't interested in facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right...facts.  You showed your ass already.   Get back to minecraft.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who cares?

If they were the all-knowing entities they claim to be, they would have pulled their heads out of their asses by now and realized that they are the ones perpetrating many of the things they are whining about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Who raised millennials?

Who cares?

If they were the all-knowing entities they claim to be, they would have pulled their heads out of their asses by now and realized that they are the ones perpetrating many of the things they are whining about.

I care, predominantly because boomers conveniently like to forget they raised millennials in conversations about how stupid/degenerate/liberal/whatever millennials are. They failed to pass on traditional American values to their children in many cases, instead opting to raise them on sitcoms that filled their brains with anti-white ideology and force them into college due to the belief that they wouldn't be successful without a degree, where they were further indoctrinated. Of course, in the minds of boomers, they aren't responsible for raising a generation that hates traditional America. So much for taking responsibility for one's actions...

The reality of the situation is that the so-called "greatest generation," the silent generation, and the boomers all destroyed America economically and socially. There's no going back. Even if millennials/gen z decided they wanted to unfuck the situation, they wouldn't be able to. It's fundamentally unfixable. Any attempts would be far too little, far too late.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except that it’s the young who tend to vote liberal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:No need for direct violence. Send them to a nursing home staffed by the illegals they voted for.

Except that it’s the young who tend to vote liberal.

Who passed the Hart Cellar Act? It sure ss shit wasn't millennials... Your point about voting is irrelevant here, too, as both parties support mass immigration wholesale. In fact, many grass roots boomer conservatives support mass immigration due to talking points like "we are a nation of immigrants" and "immigrants are natural conservatives.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The reality of the situation is that the so-called "greatest generation," the silent generation, and the boomers all destroyed America economically and socially.
There's no going back. Even if millennials/gen z decided they wanted to unfuck the situation, they wouldn't be able to. It's fundamentally unfixable. Any attempts would be far too little, far too late.
View Quote

Curious if anyone else agrees with this statement.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And that folks, is how the whole thing is perpetuated…by saying nothing matters.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who passed the Hart Cellar Act? It sure ss shit wasn't millennials... Your point about voting is irrelevant here, too, as both parties support mass immigration wholesale. In fact, many grass roots boomer conservatives support mass immigration due to talking points like "we are a nation of immigrants" and "immigrants are natural conservatives.

And that folks, is how the whole thing is perpetuated…by saying nothing matters.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Run on a platform to repeal the Hart Cellar Act, deport all illegals and non-assimilating legals, repeal the NFA, return to traditional gender roles and curtail social degeneracy, drastically reform our welfare system, etc. See how far you get. You won't get anywhere, because most Americans (regardless of their generation or political affiliation) have no real issues with most of the things that have destroyed America. Even here, you won't get a consensus on repealing wealth redistribution programs like SS, curtailing all forms of immigration, and fighting social degeneracy. The "greatest generation," the silent generation, and the boomers created a society that hates its past, hates its traditions, hates the concept of standards, and hates the idea of curtailing government. This fundamentally cannot be reversed.

So, yes, nothing matters.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I care, predominantly because boomers conveniently like to forget they raised millennials in conversations about how stupid/degenerate/liberal/whatever millennials are. They failed to pass on traditional American values to their children in many cases, instead opting to raise them on sitcoms that filled their brains with anti-white ideology and force them into college due to the belief that they wouldn't be successful without a degree, where they were further indoctrinated. Of course, in the minds of boomers, they aren't responsible for raising a generation that hates traditional America. So much for taking responsibility for one's actions...

The reality of the situation is that the so-called "greatest generation," the silent generation, and the boomers all destroyed America economically and socially. There's no going back. Even if millennials/gen z decided they wanted to unfuck the situation, they wouldn't be able to. It's fundamentally unfixable. Any attempts would be far too little, far too late.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Boomers were the hippy, free sex and drugs, hedonistic if it feels good do it, feminist/women's lib generation.

Full stop.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A lot of (younger) people like to go back and say 100 years ago they did this, and 80 years ago they did that, and, and, and they (younger people) continue to vote liberal…and then complain about the way things are.

Voting conservative may not change anything, but voting liberal  will almost certainly perpetuate the system I f  it make it worse.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/3FEB7277-9366-42A0-9DCD-E9B93F0AFE1D-2500733.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/3F7D3113-5297-4926-9FDD-E8491EA7B6DA-2500732.jpg

When elections, like the ones in AZ where a couple million (allegedly) voted and nearly every race was decided (allegedly) in favor of the democrats by a fraction of a %, a few hundred or thousand votes (allegedly), then yes, it does matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:So, yes, nothing matters.

A lot of (younger) people like to go back and say 100 years ago they did this, and 80 years ago they did that, and, and, and they (younger people) continue to vote liberal…and then complain about the way things are.

Voting conservative may not change anything, but voting liberal  will almost certainly perpetuate the system I f  it make it worse.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/3FEB7277-9366-42A0-9DCD-E9B93F0AFE1D-2500733.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/3F7D3113-5297-4926-9FDD-E8491EA7B6DA-2500732.jpg

When elections, like the ones in AZ where a couple million (allegedly) voted and nearly every race was decided (allegedly) in favor of the democrats by a fraction of a %, a few hundred or thousand votes (allegedly), then yes, it does matter.

The problem is they never show voter turnout by generation. That changes the analysis.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't see the existence of social security as a retirement program as being a problem
The problem lies in the various add-ons they've created over the years relating to SSI and disability payments. Too many young people don't want to work at all and get paid for not working when they're fully capable of doing some form of compensated labor.  I'm more worried about the people pushing UBI and the $20/ hour minimum wage for pouring coffee
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Phased out over decades.

View Quote

If you guys don't like the mentally ill living in tents on sidewalks now,you'll really hate the shack cities full of impoverished elders that your plan would create in a few decades.
Apparently some of you have a poor historical memory of the shanty cities full of poor people that used to exist on the fringes of most cities up through the early 20th century
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

How sad it is to be you
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you guys don't like the mentally ill living in tents on sidewalks now,you'll really hate the shack cities full of impoverished elders that your plan would create in a few decades.
Apparently some of you have a poor historical memory of the shanty cities full of poor people that used to exist on the fringes of most cities up through the early 20th century
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phased out over decades.

The system isn't financially stable.

The demographics simply do not and cannot work indefinitely without a ginormous increase in population growth, delayed benefits or higher taxes.

Delayed benefits and higher taxes only prolong the problem.

At the very least we can maintain current benefits and phase out longer term benefits while offsetting the reduced benefits with higher tax favored retirement investment limits.

Again. Not perfect, but some reform will eventually be needed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#35]
A pyramid scheme that lasted that long.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stop it now.

View Quote

Sorry, last in...last out. Give me my money, don't take theirs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Boomers were the hippy, free sex and drugs, hedonistic if it feels good do it, feminist/women's lib generation.

Full stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Full stop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#39]
One of the fringe benefits of taking a huge payout for a company I was part of that we sold to a giant DoD contractor was that I would NEVER pay into SS ever again.

I make it a point to never contribute to it ever again. I 'retired' when I was in my early 30s. Anything I still do to this day is structured in a way where I would never pay into SS.

It is the largest fraud in history.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The demographics simply do not and cannot work indefinitely without a ginormous increase in population growth, delayed benefits or higher taxes.

At the very least we can maintain current benefits and phase out longer term benefits while offsetting the reduced benefits with higher tax favored retirement investment limits.

View Quote

I'm sure that there will be some reform, but completely eliminating the programs isnt going to be on the table.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I still think this is a relevant thread. Didn’t mean to go inactive but life got in the way.
View Quote

Life always gets in the way. I still think this is a relevant gif.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7362/16353777682_840b21419c_n.jpg" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still think this is a relevant thread. Didn’t mean to go inactive but life got in the way.

that's a jpg
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

that's a jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's a jpg

Pure boomer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm sure that there will be some reform, but completely eliminating the programs isnt going to be on the table.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not immediately.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pension retirement is eliminated as of 2018. It's adjacent to a 401k now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should we end military retirement pay?
Pension retirement is eliminated as of 2018. It's adjacent to a 401k now.

There is still a pension.  It’s smaller and they added TSP matching.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Fed reserve should just print all the cash everyone and every company paid in back, plus a little extra. Then end the tax.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

that's a jpg
View Quote

Look at this here funny tiktok meme, whipper snapper!

End SS. Commie bullshit. I can't believe there are this many people here in favor of it lol

For the record, it's not because I don't think I'll get any of the money. It's that I don't want it. And don't need the government to save money for my retirement.

Fuck handouts and fuck hand holding.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
A boomer told me yesterday that SS wasn't a failure, it was a good idea that was just mismanaged.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fed reserve should just print all the cash everyone and every company paid in back, plus a little extra. Then end the tax.
View Quote

more proof that basic economics should be placed in every cracker barrel, golden corral, bingo place, and old folks home
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top