User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Our concept of "healthy" foods has been shaped by the USDA's food pyramid, which is basically a load of crap.

Try keto.  Just try it.  You don't have to listen to either the keto evangelists or the detractors; give strict keto an honest try for 30 days and then evaluate things for yourself.
View Quote

I'm definitely looking at going this route, will get some blood work done and chat with the doc before the end of the month.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is really disturbing to me. I sort of knew it was probably the case, but I haven't looked into it yet.
I have been losing weight for months, and my doctor keeps telling me to consume calories, ANY calories.
For a while I was eating chocolates, pie, Boost (balanced nutritional drink full of several forms of sugar), along with potatoes, bread, and pasta.

I had tests run last week and my glucose level is way above upper limit of safe. I am pre-diabetic at 108 pounds.
He prescribed a drug to stimulate my appetite, which is not needed. I stuff myself with "healthy" foods constantly, to the point of being uncomfortably full most of the day.

What can I eat that will NOT drive me into type 2 diabetes?
View Quote
@AR-10 check out Keto Chow, they basically make delicious milkshakes, mint choc chip and snickerdoodle are my favorite. You can adjust the caloric content by adjusting the fat you add (melted butter is my fav) and they are now only low carb but a complete meal due to the macro and micro nutrient profile. You could live on them if you needed to. Some people do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm definitely looking at going this route, will get some blood work done and chat with the doc before the end of the month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our concept of "healthy" foods has been shaped by the USDA's food pyramid, which is basically a load of crap.

Try keto.  Just try it. You don't have to listen to either the keto evangelists or the detractors; give strict keto an honest try for 30 days and then evaluate things for yourself.

80% of docs will tell you no on Keto because all they know is ketoacidosis and know nothing of healthy ketosis
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He does not want to go keto.  He's trying to halt or reverse weight loss while keeping blood glucose in check.  Going keto will certainly improve his blood glucose but ultimately reduce his appetite and caloric intake.

@AR-10 when you say they "ran tests" were you fasting for that blood glucose?  Did they check A1C?  If you were told you were "pre-diabetic" that could be as low as an instant blood glucose level of 125, which is high when fasted, but absolutely normal if not fasted.

Increasing fat intake will increase your caloric intake, but you want to do it while you continue eating carbohydrates if arresting weight loss is the primary goal.

ETA: I'm not anti-keto I think you just misread his issue since its pretty rare people have trouble putting weight ON.
View Quote

@Kuraki
I did not go fasting. That probably skewed the test results. My doctor did not say I was pre-diabetic, just that I need to push any sort of calories that I can. He hasn't been very helpful in guiding me as to what foods I should eat. Just keeps saying eat any type of high caloric foods that I can.

Thank you for your help. This is becoming quite a problem for me. I've lost over twenty pounds. I look like a skeleton.
The only advice he gives me is to up my caloric intake by 500gm per day and exercise for a half hour.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Things got busy for me.
I'll try eating more fats.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is really disturbing to me. I sort of knew it was probably the case, but I haven't looked into it yet.
I have been losing weight for months, and my doctor keeps telling me to consume calories, ANY calories.
For a while I was eating chocolates, pie, Boost (balanced nutritional drink full of several forms of sugar), along with potatoes, bread, and pasta.

I had tests run last week and my glucose level is way above upper limit of safe. I am pre-diabetic at 108 pounds.
He prescribed a drug to stimulate my appetite, which is not needed. I stuff myself with "healthy" foods constantly, to the point of being uncomfortably full most of the day.

View Quote
Eat animal fat.  You are a lot better off eating protein and fat than loads of carbs and sugars.  

ETA - Don't cut out all the carbs.  Lower your simple sugar intake, continue to eat starchy foods in moderation and don't be afraid to put cheese, meats, and fats into making it good.

Eat some bread, but eat it on a good hearty sandwich with ham, beef, bacon, mayo, avocado, butter, cheese etc.  Or have a couple dinner rolls or toasted garlic slices with salted butter.
Eat some pasta, but don't fill the plate.  Put on some good meaty marinara packed with ground beef, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and put a liberal amount of parmesan cheese on it.
Eat a baked potato, but don't eat it plain.  Put on a healthy amount of sharp cheddar bacon, sour cream, butter, etc.
Eat some fruit and veggies if you feel like it.  When your body thinks it needs something, usually you'll have a craving for it or it will taste really good in the moment.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@AR-10 check out Keto Chow, they basically make delicious milkshakes, mint choc chip and snickerdoodle are my favorite. You can adjust the caloric content by adjusting the fat you add (melted butter is my fav) and they are now only low carb but a complete meal due to the macro and micro nutrient profile. You could live on them if you needed to. Some people do.
View Quote

Thank you for your reply.
I typically eat two pieces of home made bread (toasted) with lots of butter and peanut butter mixed together. It's good to know that butter will help. I slather the toast with the combo until it won't soak in.

As far as chocolate...I think I need to stay away from that for a while.

I dislike animal fat. I always trim it off. I guess I should start eating more fat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
All this.

The amount of sugar in our foods has skyrocketed. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Ask the labrats.

The added sugar in our diets is why Americans are so fat. And why cancer is so prevalent.

Cut your sugars. It's hard. But do it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The sugar acts as a preservative and masks the taste of poor quality ingredients that keep getting pushed to lower cost.
View Quote

It also makes the food in question adicting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eat animal fat.  You are a lot better off eating protein and fat than loads of carbs and sugars.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Americans are fat

Went to Europe for a few weeks. Everyone was in good shape, even the chain smokers. Landed in St. Louis and I could hear the heavy breathing everywhere.
View Quote

Get further outside the big cities in Europe and you'll find they are just as big as we are.  

I went into a Bennet in Ivrea, Italy back in 2011 and felt like I was in a Walmart in podunk Kansas.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
See my edit above.  I'd advise someone who is struggling to lose weight to severely limit carbs.  But for someone who wants to maintain some weight, it's possible to keep the blood sugar levels moderate without giving up the carbs completely.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All this.

The amount of sugar in our foods has skyrocketed. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Ask the labrats.

The added sugar in our diets is why Americans are so fat. And why cancer is so prevalent.

View Quote
You cut your sugars by eating food that you prepare from scratch. It is not hard, you just need to make a it a couple of times to get it the way you want it to taste, there are tons of recipes all over the internet and Youtube.

For example I eat oatmeal in the morning, cooking it takes only 5-10 minutes, go brush your teeth and it will be done. I also put in a hand full of chopped almonds and some raisins for sweetness, and a bit of honey, maybe a quarter-TSP for a tinge of sweetness. Actually honey has some beneficial properties, but you need to use judiciously as it is relatively high in calories, 60 per tsp, table sugar is 10 calories/tsp. Remember honey is food for the bees.

And of course avoid soft drinks and alcohol. Alcohol's calories are the same as fat, plus your body treats alcohol as poison that is metabolized in the liver.

ETA: Use natural or raw ingredients that you cook yourself. BUT I do use use Swanson's canned  low-salt chicken broth for various purposes, way too much effort  me to make unless you want to spend the time, not hard, but time consuming.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get further outside the big cities in Europe and you'll find they are just as big as we are.  

I went into a Bennet in Ivrea, Italy back in 2011 and felt like I was in a Walmart in podunk Kansas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americans are fat

Went to Europe for a few weeks. Everyone was in good shape, even the chain smokers. Landed in St. Louis and I could hear the heavy breathing everywhere.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about take a look for yourself

Walk around this shopping center.  They really love their McDs

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.444628,7.8532544,3a,75y,219.53h,80.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipOXdsknPjMGYPnLueugAwQehGQuzECdHKlclFDW!2e10!7i8000!8i4000
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually honey has some beneficial properties, but you need to use judiciously as it is relatively high in calories, 60 per tsp, table sugar is 10 calories/tsp. Remember honey is food for the bees.
View Quote
Not sure where you got that figure, but granulated sugar is about 16 cal. and honey is about 21g.

The difference is minutely due to the sugars themselves, as table sugar is sucrose and honey is a mixture of mostly fructose and glucose with a little maltose and sucrose.  Another difference is that honey is about 17% water and a little protein and other bits, which explains the majority of the difference.  Granulated sugar has air in it, but not 17%.

100 g of sugar contains 387 calories.  100 g of honey contains 304 calories.  Adding 17% to account for the water in honey, and you get 370 calories.

Pretty close.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive been complaining about this for a while to my wife.

Simply Orange Orange Juice which is called simply orange... has a shit ton of added sugar, the peanut butter we used to get, added sugar, even the 100% all natural fucking bread we were buying... added sugar.

I can't even find a bbq sauce with no added sugar. (I Also don't like stevia or sweeteners)

Arbys sauce, first ingredient... Corn Syrup.... 3rd ingredient High Fructose Corn Syrup. WTF?

But when I was in Europe it wasn't like that. Bread had like minimal ingredients, peanut butter was just peanuts, OJ was just squeezed oranges.

I don't mind natural sugars that you find in tomatoes, apples, etc. But I don't understand why orange juice, from an orange that is already so sweet, has to have more sugar. Or why dried mangoes, have to have added sugar, it already tastes sweet.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Salt too.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And of course avoid soft drinks and alcohol. Alcohol's calories are the same as fat, plus your body treats alcohol as poison that is metabolized in the liver.
View Quote
That is true only in the sense that all calories will become fat if not burned.  Alcohol is a very easy to burn fuel for the body.  It is generally consumed first in the production of energy for the body, and excess calories from other more complex fuels are pushed out till later or become storage.

The liver metabolizes proteins as well as stores vitamins and minerals.  Alcohol is simply a very easy to metabolize fuel for the cells in the body that can (amongst other things) damage your liver if abused.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Now do sodium.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Simply Orange Orange Juice which is called simply orange... has a shit ton of added sugar, the peanut butter we used to get, added sugar, even the 100% all natural fucking bread we were buying... added sugar.

I can't even find a bbq sauce with no added sugar. (I Also don't like stevia or sweeteners)

Arbys sauce, first ingredient... Corn Syrup.... 3rd ingredient High Fructose Corn Syrup. WTF?

But when I was in Europe it wasn't like that. Bread had like minimal ingredients, peanut butter was just peanuts, OJ was just squeezed oranges.

I don't mind natural sugars that you find in tomatoes, apples, etc. But I don't understand why orange juice, from an orange that is already so sweet, has to have more sugar. Or why dried mangoes, have to have added sugar, it already tastes sweet.

View Quote
Some people, perhaps including you, are making the mistake of equating the nutrition label with the ingredient list.  The ingredient listing and the "Nutrition Facts" is not the same thing.  I don't know if food manufacturers add corn syrup to bread after it has risen.  Maybe they do in some cases.  But I can tell you this:  You can't make good bread without sugar of some sort.  Even in Europe.  Something has to feed the yeast to make it rise.

Fruits in a can or jar are usually soaked in a syrup of some kind.  They aren't trying to make the mangoes more sweet.  They are preserving them.  Try to store fresh slices of mango in plain water sometime, or in some other preservative like salt.  

Sugar is a preservative.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Get your teeth cleaned more frequently. Twice a year should be able to catch things before they go real bad...like root canals.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ETA - Don't cut out all the carbs.  Lower your simple sugar intake, continue to eat starchy foods in moderation and don't be afraid to put cheese, meats, and fats into making it good.

Eat some bread, but eat it on a good hearty sandwich with ham, beef, bacon, mayo, avocado, butter, cheese etc.  Or have a couple dinner rolls or toasted garlic slices with salted butter.
Eat some pasta, but don't fill the plate.  Put on some good meaty marinara packed with ground beef, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and put a liberal amount of parmesan cheese on it.
Eat a baked potato, but don't eat it plain.  Put on a healthy amount of sharp cheddar bacon, sour cream, butter, etc.
Eat some fruit and veggies if you feel like it.  When your body thinks it needs something, usually you'll have a craving for it or it will taste really good in the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^ This is good advice.  Though I'd limit fruits and especially vegetables for a short period just because of their low caloric value.  If you're able to come to a balance that halts the weightloss, add them back in.

Unless you're drowning them in butter and bacon.  Then eat up.

I would really recommend seeing a nutritionist.  I can't believe your GPs only advice after 20lb unexplained weight loss is simply "eat more stuff bro."
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sugar is bad but isn't as bad as vegetable oil, which is in more things.
View Quote

huh.     I did not know this.     :/
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's because of the negative feedback loop that replacing fat with sugar has created.  The more sweetness you eat, the less sweet it tastes, requiring more, and more, and more.  So the companies are marketing to people who have a ruined sense of sweetness due to a lifetime of ingesting too much sugar.

Everyone who goes low carb, within days, weeks at most, notices how much sweeter fruit now seems to taste.  For me, it was the same thing with the calorie free sweeteners.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Lucky for me I hate the taste of sweet things.  

My wife, who is usually extremely health conscience was drinking at least two of these hipster teas a day.  I read the ingredient list, then measured out 30 grams of sugar onto a plate.  Thats how much was in each 12 oz bottle of tea.  She saw that, and never drank another one.  

Go weigh out 30 grams of sugar on a plate.  Its a shitload, and that is from one 12 oz drink.  A quick search shows that a 12 oz can of Pepsi has 41 grams of sugar.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's because of the negative feedback loop that replacing fat with sugar has created.  The more sweetness you eat, the less sweet it tastes, requiring more, and more, and more.  So the companies are marketing to people who have a ruined sense of sweetness due to a lifetime of ingesting too much sugar.

Everyone who goes low carb, within days, weeks at most, notices how much sweeter fruit now seems to taste.  For me, it was the same thing with the calorie free sweeteners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked in a juice factory for almost 5 years. We made crap called Tampico that was sugar swill. Since being on keto since 1/1 sugars are pretty much no bueno.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that most people don't understand that carbohydrates are sugar.  Pasta, potatoes, bread, all of it... carbs are just a longer chain of glucose molecules tied together than the simple sugars.  Polysaccharides vs. mono/disacharrides.
View Quote

Yes, but then again, the alpha-amylase does not work fast enough in the mouth to break down most such polysacharrides ("starch").

Sugar (sucrose, a glucose-fructose disaccharide), on the other hand, is cariogenic because 1) it can be used by homolactic acid bacteria to make primarily lactic acid and 2) it can be used to make extracellular large mats of alpha1-3linked/alpha1-6linked glucose polymers (glucans-specifically mutans), which favors the collection of cariogenic homolactic acid bacteria such as Strep mutans/and Strep sobrinus (which possess glucan-binding proteins). Sucrose is bad among disaccharides because it's glycosydic link is a higher energy hemiacetyl-hemiketal bond: which can be used to form polymers extracellularly.

This is why, through history, caries correlates with refined sugar production.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
There is no money in people that are skinny and healthy
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just had my first cavity drilled and filled, may still end up needing a root canal but hopefully the dentist was right and the filling is the end of it... for now.

I'm pretty careful about sugar, brush regularly, avoid the stereotypical sugar foods like candy ice cream cereal breakfast bars etc. The amount of sugar in damn near everything is staggering, from now on if it ain't natural I'm not eating it, looking closely at stuff I thought had minimal sugar, it doesn't. Why is there so much sugar added to everything? stuff that doesn't need a lick more of sugar has x grams added, stuff that shouldn't need sugar at all has it in droves. No wonder diabetes and obesity are going through the roof. One could almost say its a conspiracy, why is there so much sugar in everything?
View Quote

Wait till you start looking at the ingredients for HFCS/corn syrup.

Sugar is not evil, but too much of it is.

The irony is, barely anything has real sugar in it now, it's all high fructose corn syrup.

I don't go out of my way to find stuff with no sugar. I go out of my way to treat sugar as what it is: a sweetener for desserts and such, that shouldn't be in everything.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The irony is, barely anything has real sugar in it now, it's all high fructose corn syrup.

I don't go out of my way to find stuff with no sugar. I go out of my way to treat sugar as what it is: a sweetener for desserts and such, that shouldn't be in everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had my first cavity drilled and filled, may still end up needing a root canal but hopefully the dentist was right and the filling is the end of it... for now.

I'm pretty careful about sugar, brush regularly, avoid the stereotypical sugar foods like candy ice cream cereal breakfast bars etc. The amount of sugar in damn near everything is staggering, from now on if it ain't natural I'm not eating it, looking closely at stuff I thought had minimal sugar, it doesn't. Why is there so much sugar added to everything? stuff that doesn't need a lick more of sugar has x grams added, stuff that shouldn't need sugar at all has it in droves. No wonder diabetes and obesity are going through the roof. One could almost say its a conspiracy, why is there so much sugar in everything?

HFCS is sugar.  Well, technically, its 76% sugar, as 24% of it is water.  The sugar components are 42% fructose and 58% glucose.  Those are real sugars.  Sucrose, which I suppose you mean when you are talking about real sugar is actually made up of a chemical combination of glucose and fructose.  It mostly comes from sugar cane and sugar beets.  It is not healthier than other sugars or combinations thereof.

Honey is 38% fructose, 31% glucose, 7% maltose (another sugar), and about 1% sucrose.  It is 17% water and about 6% other stuff you'd find in bee barf.

Comparing the two

HFCS:
Fructose = 32%
Glucose = 44%

Honey:
Fructose = 38%
Glucose = 31%

Both have a small amount of water:
HFCS = 24%
Honey = 17%

It's essentially lab created honey without the motivation to make it identical to honey.  In fact HFCS can be safely used to keep bee hives alive in cold weather.

It's not the boogeyman everyone is talking about.  If you OD on table sugar you'll OD on HFCS, and either way you'll be a sugar addict, get fat and diabeetus.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
HFCS is sugar.  Well, technically, its 76% sugar, as 24% of it is water.  The sugar components are 42% fructose and 58% glucose.  Those are real sugars.  Sucrose, which I suppose you mean when you are talking about real sugar is actually made up of a chemical combination of glucose and fructose.  It mostly comes from sugar cane and sugar beets.  It is not healthier than other sugars or combinations thereof.

Honey is 38% fructose, 31% glucose, 7% maltose (another sugar), and about 1% sucrose.  It is 17% water and about 6% other stuff you'd find in bee barf.

Comparing the two

HFCS:
Fructose = 32%
Glucose = 44%

Honey:
Fructose = 38%
Glucose = 31%

HFCS = 24%
Honey = 17%

It's essentially lab created honey without the motivation to make it identical to honey.  In fact HFCS can be safely used to keep bee hives alive in cold weather.

It's not the boogeyman everyone is talking about.  If you OD on table sugar you'll OD on HFCS, and either way you'll be a sugar addict, get fat and diabeetus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparing the two

HFCS:
Fructose = 32%
Glucose = 44%

Honey:
Fructose = 38%
Glucose = 31%

HFCS = 24%
Honey = 17%

IMO the two reasons HFCS is really a boogeyman are ...

reportedly fructose makes you insulin resistant

and

it's used in *everything,* in massive amounts.

ETA;
We are intentionally being saturated in that stuff because we are sweet-addicts. People are raised where everything being sickly sweet is expected.

Also hfcs / fcs leaves a nasty after taste in my mouth and leaves me craving more sweets. Regular old cane sugar doesn't do that to me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sugar is bad but isn't as bad as vegetable oil, which is in more things.

Yeah, they're concentrated veg seed oils. You'd never encounter them in nature above the micro level. More dangerous than alcohol, sugar, or moderate smoking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

and

ETA;
We are intentionally being saturated in that stuff because we are sweet-addicts. People are raised where everything being sickly sweet is expected.

Also hfcs / fcs leaves a nasty after taste in my mouth and leaves me craving more sweets. Regular old cane sugar doesn't do that to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparing the two

HFCS:
Fructose = 32%
Glucose = 44%

Honey:
Fructose = 38%
Glucose = 31%

HFCS = 24%
Honey = 17%

and

ETA;

I was always the kid who spooned tons of sugar into my cereal and ate sugar packets and cubes, so I can't relate to not craving sugar.  My favorite candy was rock candy.   For me they work the same.  I have to work hard to avoid eating sugar, and if I have something with granulated sugar it kicks off a food craving just the same as if I had fruit, a Mountain Dew, cornbread smothered in honey, or even fresh squeezed orange juice.

I agree that it is used in massive amounts.  Due to trade protectionism, we use it in place of sucrose but I imagine that if we didn't make corn syrup, we'd be importing a lot more sugar and people would still have the ability to eat too much.  My belief is that the demand for it is elastic.  If sweets are cheap, people will eat them.  If people don't have money to buy sweets and food subsidies are limited, then people will eat less of it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Now do sodium.
View Quote
Sodium (chloride) is one of the best things you can consume, as long as you don't have any contradictory health conditions m
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I worked in a juice factory for almost 5 years. We made crap called Tampico that was sugar swill. Since being on keto since 1/1 sugars are pretty much no bueno.
View Quote
That's fucking hilarious, my buddy in college used to buy jugs of that and we all would bust his balls and call it diabetes juice. That shit is POTENT.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Table sugar is sucrose, half fructose and have glucose.

Your body processes the glucose directly to the blood stream.
Your body processes the fructose through the liver, into fat. Fructose is a risk factor for fatty liver, liver cancer, systemic inflammation, and cardio vascular disease. The liver turns fructose directly into fat.

Refined or whole grain carbohydrates get turned directly into glucose, all of it. Glucose causes inflammation through increased insulin, insulin production ( a hormone so the cells can use glucose ), insulin resistance, depresses the immune system,  cardio vascular disease, nd occupies the opiate receptors in the brain causing addiction.

whole grain makes no difference except in how fast the glucose gets dumped into the blood stream.  Eating carbs all day causes constant insulin response and due to constant insulin exposure, causes insulin resistance, and eventually metabolic syndrome and then type 2 diabetes with time.

Fructose and glucose is toxic to the body and causes addiction. The higher the levels, the more toxic it is.

here is the fun part:

IMO. Govts push carbohydrate as the primary foods because without pure carbohydrate foods, wheat, other grains, potatoes, rice etc, there simply is not enough food in the world to feed even 30% of the population.

So although science knows is it very harmful to health to eat a high carbohydrate diet, the narrative keeps pushing it because without carbohydrate farming, the world does not have enough food.

So the take away is to keep believing the lies and bull shit that we are bombarded with constantly from govts and corrupted scientists and doctors. people think the lies started with COVID. The lies have been pervasive since Dr Keys fudged the data in the 7 Country Study.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Americans are fat

View Quote

If there were more chain smokers here like there used to be there would be a whole lot less fatasses.  I used to be skeptical but I gained almost thirty pounds since I quit smoking last thanksgiving with no perceptible change in my eating habits.  Strange turn of events indeed.
ETA:
I was born early seventies.  IIRC there was just as much crap garbage food available then as now.  If not more.  Anyone remember TAB and how it was the first low calorie soda?  Fast food was also just as prevalent then as now.  I’d love for a statistician to do a study comparing the relative costs of the obesity vs. smoking epidemics.  The results will be surprising no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All this.

View Quote

They want you to be fat, depressed, addicted, and useless.

Adding shit tons of sugar to the food is step one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Back when the big food fads were Low Fat, people were not buying prepared foods because they tasted like shit. Sugar was added to bring back flavor. The next time you are at the grocery store, pick up random things and look at the ingredient list. Sugar will be there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Back when the big food fads were Low Fat, people were not buying prepared foods because they tasted like shit. Sugar was added to bring back flavor. The next time you are at the grocery store, pick up random things and look at the ingredient list. Sugar will be there.
View Quote

Well yeah.  It’s kind of what makes food “food”.  It’s the amount you need to watch.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Until we had a kid, never realizes how much sugar is in milk.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that most people don't understand that carbohydrates are sugar.  Pasta, potatoes, bread, all of it... carbs are just a longer chain of glucose molecules tied together than the simple sugars.  Polysaccharides vs. mono/disacharrides.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Why are you blaming bad genetics and poor hygiene on sugar?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Sugar masks the poor taste of cheap products

Also, the corn industry is enormous and if you dont support it, then you hate salt of the earth farmers.

If high fructose corn syrup were introduced today, it would never recieve approval for use
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your body processes the fructose through the liver, into fat. Fructose is a risk factor for fatty liver, liver cancer, systemic inflammation, and cardio vascular disease. The liver turns fructose directly into fat.

Refined or whole grain carbohydrates get turned directly into glucose, all of it. Glucose causes inflammation through increased insulin, insulin production ( a hormone so the cells can use glucose ), insulin resistance, depresses the immune system,  cardio vascular disease, nd occupies the opiate receptors in the brain causing addiction.

whole grain makes no difference except in how fast the glucose gets dumped into the blood stream.  Eating carbs all day causes constant insulin response and due to constant insulin exposure, causes insulin resistance, and eventually metabolic syndrome and then type 2 diabetes with time.

Fructose and glucose is toxic to the body and causes addiction. The higher the levels, the more toxic it is.

here is the fun part:

IMO. Govts push carbohydrate as the primary foods because without pure carbohydrate foods, wheat, other grains, potatoes, rice etc, there simply is not enough food in the world to feed even 30% of the population.

So although science knows is it very harmful to health to eat a high carbohydrate diet, the narrative keeps pushing it because without carbohydrate farming, the world does not have enough food.

So the take away is to keep believing the lies and bull shit that we are bombarded with constantly from govts and corrupted scientists and doctors. people think the lies started with COVID. The lies have been pervasive since Dr Keys fudged the data in the 7 Country Study.
View Quote

I also believe the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries are now so deeply entrenched in what they've been preaching for years about diet and diabetes that they can't back away from promoting misinformation lest they collapse the industries. Imagine how hard it would rock their world if 75% of T2D patients suddenly cured themselves by eating ribeyes and bacon instead of Twinkies and spaghetti...
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I also believe the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries are now so deeply entrenched in what they've been preaching for years about diet and diabetes that they can't back away from promoting misinformation lest they collapse the industries. Imagine how hard it would rock their world if 75% of T2D patients suddenly cured themselves by eating ribeyes and bacon instead of Twinkies and spaghetti...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is the fun part:

Lol it would be nice but good luck denying them their sugar fixes.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Look at your food labels.  4 grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon of sugar.  Do the math on the things you eat and drink and you will be shocked at how much sugar you are consuming on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is the fun part:

I go to an endo doc ( for an adernal adenoma ) and she puts ALL of her type 2 patients on a keto diet, including supplying recipes withe great success. Individual docs can go rogue but i think you are right, the industry simply can not change course. Too much money and reputation at stake. She grew up in communist Romania, and does not just accept the narrative, but thinks for herself and keeps up on the latest studies. I wish all docs were like her. I drive 1.5 hours each way for an appointment, she is well worth the extra time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top