Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Wife has it.   You can try vitamin D supplements, light therapy (special light boxes for this).
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I hate winter.

Looking for ways to move closer to the equator and have it be summer year round.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Sunny and 63 here today, so no.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should probably stay out of Alaska in the winter.

Up here, we stay busy playing and I look forward to winter sports.
View Quote

What he said.

N MN here, not as bad as above.

I eat Vit D like Skittles starting in Oct.  Which may be why the Shanghai shivers never bothered me when I got it both times..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I scarf vitamin D like candy. Like, literally a dish at my desk. Every new drink of whatever (coffee, water, soda) gets a does of D3 with it.

For me it takes 2000 - 3000 mg per day to make a noticeable difference. No additional help with higher dosages.  I work at my desk in my own basement and don't leave the house for days at a time during the winter.

The other thing I do is just get up so far before sunrise that the "late" sunrise doesn't get involved in your daily routine. That helps some too. It seems like if I am in bed through the slow-assed sunrise it makes it hard to stay awake all day. So I just get up at 4-5 AM and start doing stuff (usually house cleaning) and then sit down to my job at 8 AM after it is light-ish outside.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty common in the midwest. Picking up a prescribed SAD lightbox today for someone. I will find any excuse I can to soak up any sunshine every day until April.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Probably won't be popular, but I'm tired of hearing about most disorders and syndromes. I'm not saying they don't exist. Imagine pharmaceutical companies came up calling them syndromes and disorders to prescribe drugs. Find a new hobby, take a multi-vitamin, read, volunteer somewhere etc. I'm an asshole I guess or don't have any idea what I'm talking about.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys that hate winter need to change your lives.

I LOVE winter. Snow skiing, snowmobiling, wet dirt for the dirt bikes, camping and sitting around a bonfire with friends. I'm not sure if I like winter or summer better. Spring and Fall are great, too.
View Quote

We don’t have wet dirt. We have sticky mud all winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably won't be popular, but I'm tired of hearing about most disorders and syndromes. I'm not saying they don't exist. Imagine pharmaceutical companies came up calling them syndromes and disorders to prescribe drugs. Find a new hobby, take a multi-vitamin, read, volunteer somewhere etc. I'm an asshole I guess or don't have any idea what I'm talking about.
View Quote

I’m not aware of a prescription for it.  As far as I know, some people take vitamin D, which is just generic and over the counter, produced by tons of different companies.

Personally I don’t see it as a disorder.  I would say any normal person enjoys summer and the long days to do stuff outside.  It’s a disorder to not find winter miserable.  People who say they like winter are 1) lying or 2) fat tubs whose best life is inside playing video games and eating cheetos.  Because the short days and cold weather are not conducive to doing anything cool unless you live at a ski slope and can afford to ski all day and not work.  Some hunting seasons are in winter, but no one is hunting all day every day.  In the summer time I can leave the house at 6am and come back at 10pm, enjoy every minute of the day outside.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I scarf vitamin D like candy. Like, literally a dish at my desk. Every new drink of whatever (coffee, water, soda) gets a does of D3 with it.

For me it takes 2000 - 3000 mg per day to make a noticeable difference. No additional help with higher dosages.  I work at my desk in my own basement and don't leave the house for days at a time during the winter.

The other thing I do is just get up so far before sunrise that the "late" sunrise doesn't get involved in your daily routine. That helps some too. It seems like if I am in bed through the slow-assed sunrise it makes it hard to stay awake all day. So I just get up at 4-5 AM and start doing stuff (usually house cleaning) and then sit down to my job at 8 AM after it is light-ish outside.
View Quote

I also do this with wake ups,and I have changed all of our light bulbs to 5k daylight spectrum.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know how some of you delicate specimens have survived into adulthood
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe a little bit.  Ever since I picked up skiing a few years ago now I look forward to it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take up astronomy.  It will give you something to do in the dark clear evenings.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Light therapy really works.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I LOVE winter. Snow skiing, snowmobiling, wet dirt for the dirt bikes, camping and sitting around a bonfire with friends. I'm not sure if I like winter or summer better. Spring and Fall are great, too.
View Quote

It's not really the winter part.....weekends when I can get outside in the sun are fine. It's the work weeks when I go to work in the dark/cold, and get home from work in the dark/cold....and not see any sun all day long.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't get it. Im outside more in fall and winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#17]
3000mg of vitamin D

I bet a bunch of you guys think the only thing vitamin D does is makes ur bones strong

it does a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm right there with you. Even worse this year as my best buddy of 15 years passed away 2.5 weeks ago.

Attachment Attached File

Best I can do right now is emerse myself in projects when I get home. Built a table for my wife. Redesigned our closet and ordered materials. Will be doing that next week.

Just trying my best to not be sad.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Was going to post something snarky for people who don't get it, but then I figured: good for you. FWIW, it really sucks.

Things that help me are: exercise, vitamin D, getting outside, and projects - especially the ones you enjoy in better weather (motorcycles for me). And vacations. Which also help me realize I could never live in FL full time
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Winter is lovely down here!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This makes it a bit tough to get out and do too much in the evenings, after work.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to get it in May/June in So.Cal with the June Gloom Marine layer, but I was a teenager and it didn't affect me too much. I decided SAD was an excuse to be lazy and grumpy, and I wasn't one of those. Stay active from the moment I got up in the morning.
Fast forward 35 years and I'm living on the Olympic Peninsula, and I quickly became a believer in SAD. I got fat, grumpy and craved carbohydrate rich foods.
pretty depressing, too, with all the rain.
I had to move somewhere with sunshine.
I can handle cold, snow and short days, as long as the sun is shine a majority of time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Turning 54 in mid-December and the older I get, the more I really hate the cold and darkness, hate drearyness.  

I really appreciate the summer and spring more.  The winter and cold seem just to sap the life out of me anymore.  Working at home more seems to help some.  I am now to the point that I really hate winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don’t use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I’ll leave it on all day long and don’t shut it off until after 9 pm…

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Just knowing is half the battle.  The worst time for me is between the end of daylight savings time and the winter solstice.   Just do your best to deal with it and remember it gets better soon.

Whomever had the idea to have a big holiday right around the equinox was a genius.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree with everyone on driving home in the dark.  It's dark at 5 when i leave for the day , and it sucks.   But the upside is i get most of my reloading done in the winter months.  I have no desire to be inside doing that in the summer.

And I always try to get out on nice days and snowshoe or 4 wheel or something. I don't even mind shoveling. You need to be out doing something when you can.  A good day of exercise or work outside in the winter, will make you appreciate being inside and warm later.

It's also a good time of year to get some well needed rest, and I have no problem on shitty days kicking back in the recliner and staring at the idiot box.  

Like anything else, it's what you make of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Vitamin D has helped me some.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I am going to go home this afternoon and turn the house upside down to find the gloves I had last year. I had a pair of Mechanix gloves with the trigger finger cut out. I will need those this weekend.

Ever since being on BP meds a few years ago my fingers get cold outside at the range. The rest of me would get cold too but I dress for that this time of the year.

That would really be my only problem with this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interestingly, I've been getting up well before dawn this week and it's helping me a bunch. I hate doing it, but my wife just got back from Europe and she's not adjusting back to our time well. So, we've been going to bed about 8 and up about 4. Been feeling really good this week even though it's cloudy/snowy/cold.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I had it really bad when I moved from TX to MT a number of years ago. Light therapy helped a lot, as did finding ways to get outside.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I love Fall and Winter. The colder the better, keeps most folks inside and leaves the lakes and woods for guys like me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Play harder, drink harder works for me. Having spent my whole life up here I dont recall anyone near me being anything other than mildly affected by that "disorder". It affects my sleeping and eating to some extent but nothing to get upset about.
Its all so gradual normal healthy people just acclimate.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Gotta love all the tough guys acting like it's a made up thing and we're all babies who get depressed in winter. Remind me to laugh at your diabetes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Not since I discovered alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not since I discovered alcohol.
View Quote

That makes it worse for me it seems......
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope

Take vitamin d----I up my take to 8000iu.(do get a blood test first)

Get your ass outside and do things.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My old lady does, but she uses a light box daily and it really helps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
It's not all sunshine and roses (literally) but, I kinda like winter.

Then again, i think each season has It's own net positives.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don’t use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I’ll leave it on all day long and don’t shut it off until after 9 pm…

www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCLLYN5
View Quote

I took your advice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I took your advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don't use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I'll leave it on all day long and don't shut it off until after 9 pm

www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCLLYN5

I took your advice.
Use it as early in the morning as possible, not in the late afternoon or evening.  I get the above comment about leaving it on until 9PM, but for most people lots of blue light at night is going to make things worse, not better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope.
It's called "The Sunshine State" for a reason. Warm and Sunny most of the year.
I might get the Harley out tomorrow for a ride.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I get Sudden Acquisition Syndrome.  My gun parts collection seems to grow more in the winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Tune into the Scenery Channel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Nope, I love winter. Its my happiest time of year..always dark and gloomy out, helps me relax better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How would DST help that?  You still get a very short day, and it just fucks the morning people even more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standard time
Absolutely sucks
Duh

On eastern edge of CST in KY it was dark before 4:30 in December and that sucks.

Moved to FL and now despite sucky standard time it doesn't get dark till at least 5:15 - EST.

S.A.D. reduction by relocation.

DST indefinitely would lower S.A.D. too.

How would DST help that?  You still get a very short day, and it just fucks the morning people even more.
Going on DST would push the sun higher in the sky when most get off work.  So working "predawn to twilight" would become "night to afternoon sun".  I'd take that tradeoff any day.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of a prescription for it.  As far as I know, some people take vitamin D, which is just generic and over the counter, produced by tons of different companies.

Personally I don't see it as a disorder.  I would say any normal person enjoys summer and the long days to do stuff outside.  It's a disorder to not find winter miserable.  People who say they like winter are 1) lying or 2) fat tubs whose best life is inside playing video games and eating cheetos.  Because the short days and cold weather are not conducive to doing anything cool unless you live at a ski slope and can afford to ski all day and not work.  Some hunting seasons are in winter, but no one is hunting all day every day.  In the summer time I can leave the house at 6am and come back at 10pm, enjoy every minute of the day outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not aware of a prescription for it.  As far as I know, some people take vitamin D, which is just generic and over the counter, produced by tons of different companies.

Personally I don't see it as a disorder.  I would say any normal person enjoys summer and the long days to do stuff outside.  It's a disorder to not find winter miserable.  People who say they like winter are 1) lying or 2) fat tubs whose best life is inside playing video games and eating cheetos.  Because the short days and cold weather are not conducive to doing anything cool unless you live at a ski slope and can afford to ski all day and not work.  Some hunting seasons are in winter, but no one is hunting all day every day.  In the summer time I can leave the house at 6am and come back at 10pm, enjoy every minute of the day outside.
I enjoy the cold weather, the building of fires, the snow even if it's not on the side of a hill, and I especially like the lack of insects.

Sorry, you just don't understand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m clinically depressed anyways, but I struggle like hell in the winter months.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't say I suffer from that, but I am trying to improve my ability to do winter activities.

Get yourself some proper winter clothing and force yourself to get outside and be active as much as possible.  Cross country skiing, snow shoeing, downhill skiing, get a snow mobile, ice skate, ice fishing, whatever man just get out doors.  There is that new saying popular with the Gen Z kids "touch grass", well this winter make sure you "touch snow" daily.  

Find an indoor pool and swim. I find that really helps me for some reason.  Of course, exercise, get a sweat going and try to sauna if you can. I think a daily sauna or steam room really helps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I think of it this way...the shortest day of the year will be Dec 21...thats in 3 weeks....then the days start getting longer again by daylight....so...

Otherwise I completely get where the OP is coming from.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top