Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yamato and it isn't even close

The Bismarck was a very mediocre battleship for its generation. The Yamato and Iowa classes both would have wiped the floor with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
18.1>15
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No rules. No support.

Middle of any ocean you wish.
Discuss.
View Quote

Yamato, and it’s not close.

Bismarck was an evolutionary improvement over previous designs. It was a product improved WW1 style warship. Yamato was a modern warship however, with the modern goodies to go with it.

The big difference maker is the fire control system and armor plating. Some of Yamato’s armor probably would have been resistant (not impervious) to Bismarck’s 15 inch shells. Bismarcks armor would be soundly defeated by Yamato’s 18 inch shells.

Yamato’s fire control systems weren’t as good as American or British systems but they were better than Bismarck’s. Yamato had better radar and better optics for targeting. Yamato would almost certainly be able to lay down effective fire from ranges beyond what Bismarck could.

Bismarck’s only clear advantage is in speed. It probably won’t matter, but even if Bismarck used that speed to close, I wouldn’t expect a close quarters fight to go well for Bismarck. Bismarck did have a larger secondary battery but, like it’s speed, it’s not going to matter.

Yamato due to superior targeting and superior firepower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

“Only protected against 14” shellfire” isn’t entirely accurate.  The 14” guns originally planned formed the design basis for their armor protection, but that doesn’t mean it was useless against larger calibers.  Armor protection on a warship is not a binary equation.  It’s all about probabilities.  

I did a comparison of North Carolina and Bismarck a few years back using data from NAVWEAPS and concluded that each could penetrate the other’s belt from about the same range.  Bismarck’s heavier armor is offset by North Carolina’s bigger guns.  North Carolina had better fire control even before Mk8 radar became available and a significant advantage in range/endurance.

North Carolina also had a vastly superior AA battery and cost significantly less to build, assuming displacement is roughly proportional to cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a native of North Dakota, thank you for a battleship class.
lol

I agree with your first two rankings.
I’ve never been able to decide on the North Carolinas.
Great main armament, only protected against 14” shellfire.
I’ll still rank them number three. Especially if Willis A. Lee is onboard USS Washington.

“Only protected against 14” shellfire” isn’t entirely accurate.  The 14” guns originally planned formed the design basis for their armor protection, but that doesn’t mean it was useless against larger calibers.  Armor protection on a warship is not a binary equation.  It’s all about probabilities.  

I did a comparison of North Carolina and Bismarck a few years back using data from NAVWEAPS and concluded that each could penetrate the other’s belt from about the same range.  Bismarck’s heavier armor is offset by North Carolina’s bigger guns.  North Carolina had better fire control even before Mk8 radar became available and a significant advantage in range/endurance.

North Carolina also had a vastly superior AA battery and cost significantly less to build, assuming displacement is roughly proportional to cost.

Jane’s has the North Carolinas at just under $77,000,000
South Dakotas $77,000,000
Iowas $100,000,000

Bismarck’s cost isn’t listed.

I think Bismarck could get three salvos per minute.
I think our 16” were two per minute.
Not certain how sustainable either rate is.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hell ya. Better FCS and such. Guns could be adjustest faster..... I bet the Iowas shit on the Yamato.
View Quote

Iowa would run over Bismarck without breaking a sweat. Yamato would dicier but I personally think superior fire control systems and the ability to get first salvo hits would win the day for Iowa.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At range or in inclement weather/night no doubt. In a very unrealistic scenario where a brain dead Iowa captain lets a Yamato close within LOS it may get interesting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At range or in inclement weather/night no doubt. In a very unrealistic scenario where a brain dead Iowa captain lets a Yamato close within LOS it may get interesting.
https://i.imgur.com/W6HelC0h.jpg

Give me Ching Lee.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While I am by no means an expert on, or even have any experience with, naval gunnery, my experience with small arms would suggest that if BB X is firing on BB Y, while both are capable of and are moving, it would be far harder for X to reliably hit Y than if Y was essentially stationary and X is still maneuvering.  While I can see that Y might also have an easier time scoring hits, only having to worry about X's movement and not its own, X can still see that Y has fired and try to move unpredictably prior to the arrival of Y's shells.  And that's ignoring any potential of loss of power to turret traverse/elevation due to running out of fuel.
View Quote

What you wrote is hard for me to follow, the Browns won and I'm a little drunk, BUT Yamato had more guns than Bismark and each were bigger and had more range than Bismark's guns.  Even if Yamato was stationary the Bismark, if its task was to kill Yamato, would have to put itself within Yamato's gun range before it (Bismark) could even hope to hit Yamato.  I don't see how Bismark could possibly win such a contest.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ever since I read about the naval battles at the Philippines I wish Halsey had turned the Alabama (saw it as a kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever) around to guard the Samar strait.

I sort of think with superior US radar and ranging the Bama might have wrecked the Yamato.  I don't think the Bismark would have faired nearly as well, just not in the same class.
View Quote

Halsey's flag was flying from New Jersey, not Alabama.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He a member here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Drachinifel

He a member here?

That would be so dope.  I think he'd eventually have the highest post count on the site and find the character limit for a single post.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yamato, not even close.

Oh, in a battleship duel there's always that chance for a lucky shot taking out critical equipment, but nine times out of ten the Yamato comes out on top.

It has heavier armor.

It has more guns

It's guns are far heavier.

I'm going to assume that fire control was about equal. I see no reason to think that the Germans were significantly ahead of the Japanese in this regards.

Speed goes to the Bismarck, but barely.

View Quote

The fire control was not equal. Japan’s FCS was better, and the gap wasn’t trivial.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’ll still rank them number three. Especially if Willis A. Lee is onboard USS Washington.
View Quote

Ching Lee was the greatest battleship gunnery officer ever.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the only thing upon which all of ARFCOM can agree.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yamato's fire control systems weren't as good as American or British systems but they were better than Bismarck's. Yamato had better radar and better optics for targeting. Yamato would almost certainly be able to lay down effective fire from ranges beyond what Bismarck could.

View Quote

Yamato wasn't capable of a blind radar-directed fire, Bismarck was. Huge advantage, especially at night.

I'd say Bismarck without question, especially with KM officers vs IJN officers. The IJN leadership was dogshit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Taffy 3

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admiral Willis 'Ching' Lee - The Ultimate Sharpshooter
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]

And a Drachinifel video as evidence.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a great video showing the mechanics of a US Navy WW2 mechanical fire control computer.

U.S. NAVY BASIC MECHANISMS OF FIRE CONTROL COMPUTERS MECHANICAL COMPUTER INSTRUCTIONAL FILM 27794
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is another video that has both parts.

1953 US Navy Film: Basic Mechanisms In Fire Control Computers
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a historical site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of a sudden I was 12 again.

Was that a geocities or angelfire site?

It's a historical site.

That's what I'm saying
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm the biggest Bismarck Fan whore.  My GSD is even named Bismarck.

The Yamato would wreck the Bismarck.
View Quote

Really??!!

Why?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That would be so dope.  I think he'd eventually have the highest post count on the site and find the character limit for a single post.
View Quote

That dude is an absolute Rain Man when it comes to naval warfare.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yamato wasn't capable of a blind radar-directed fire, Bismarck was. Huge advantage, especially at night.

I'd say Bismarck without question, especially with KM officers vs IJN officers. The IJN leadership was dogshit.
View Quote

Yes because the Japanese never trounced radar equipped squadrons in night engagements.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
haven't seen a bruce lee vs mike tyson thread in a while, but here we are.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bismarck was an evolutionary improvement over previous designs. It was a product improved WW1 style warship. Yamato was a modern warship however, with the modern goodies to go with it.

The big difference maker is the fire control system and armor plating. Some of Yamato’s armor probably would have been resistant (not impervious) to Bismarck’s 15 inch shells. Bismarcks armor would be soundly defeated by Yamato’s 18 inch shells.

Yamato’s fire control systems weren’t as good as American or British systems but they were better than Bismarck’s. Yamato had better radar and better optics for targeting. Yamato would almost certainly be able to lay down effective fire from ranges beyond what Bismarck could.

Bismarck’s only clear advantage is in speed. It probably won’t matter, but even if Bismarck used that speed to close, I wouldn’t expect a close quarters fight to go well for Bismarck. Bismarck did have a larger secondary battery but, like it’s speed, it’s not going to matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No rules. No support.

Middle of any ocean you wish.
Discuss.

I am interested in your sources for the quality of Yamato’s fire contains radar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How good was Japanese gunnery?

Just because you have a bigger gun does not mean squat if you can’t hit what you’re aiming at.

95% of the shooting range qualifies this.

View Quote

Look up what the IJN did to the US Navy in gunnery duels in the first part of WWII.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]
In a Meeting Engagement(?) on the open sea? Yamato eats Bismark's lunch.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yamato wasn't capable of a blind radar-directed fire, Bismarck was.
View Quote

I don’t believe this is correct.

Bismarck’s fire control radar was 82cm wavelength. You need 10cm wavelength for blind fire / training guns. Bismarck’s FCS was properly understood to be radar assisted, not radar directed.

Same for Yamato.

Both relied on optical targeting. Many consider Yamato’s optics to have been the best in the world at that time. My money is on Japan.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]
DD cup Anime girl will win over C cup German pole dancer!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems to me a hand full of DD's and DE's stood the Yamato down
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Yamato
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would probably rate KGV higher than Bismarck.  She was well armored compared to her contemporaries and her guns were good enough, as seen from the action against Bismarck herself.

Bismarck was really a dated, inefficient design.  She weighed significantly more than North Carolina with no functional advantage to show for it.
View Quote
I would agree but for those problematic quad turrets.  Prince of Wales suffered a jam against Bismarck that forced her to withdraw, and Duke of York had a similar failure against the two Scharnhorsts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Iirc correctly that was a point of contention that im surprised hasnt come up.

The plate was from the IJN Shinano, a repurposed yamato hull converted into a carrier. The piece was from her heaviest plate-- a turret mount. Im borrowing from the usn report, but metullurgy says it was on par with ww1 heavy plate with cooling defects.

It was still massive, however. The pictured strike was fired at zero degrees orientation, though it is thought that the same strike at 45 degrees as the turret was constructed would only damage, not pen.

Im not debating yes or no, because there are a lot of what-ifs. I would probably agree the rest of the ship would be mission ineffective long before those turrets got penetrated from ranged fire.
View Quote

The shot was fired normal to the plate to simulate a strike from a plunging shell fired at max range, which would be falling at a 45 degree angle which would have put it perpendicular, or nearly so, to the turret face.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm the biggest Bismarck Fan whore.  My GSD is even named Bismarck.

The Yamato would wreck the Bismarck.
View Quote

I'm a n00b, but interested.  The Yamato was bigger, had more armor, and had larger diameter rounds.  However, the Bismarck was faster, and had a longer effective firing range (or so I read).  Wouldn't an intelligent captain of the Bismarck be able to shell the Yamato until the stores ran dry, all the while staying more or less out of the Yamato's firing range?  That's assuming 1-on-1, which may not be realistic, ignoring crew, etc..
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#35]
might as well discuss the biggest square rigged 100 gun british ship of the the line vs the biggest french  ship of the line in a 1 on 1.

is interesting reading about the launch of the  yamato and  the sister ship musahsi. huge battleships with 18 inch guns designed to fight a world war I decisive battle that the japanese assumed how sea battles  would be fought. all eclipsed and sunk by planes from aircraft carriers and torpedoes from submarines.

next war, he aircraft carrier will replace the battleship as the wrong weapons  platform for the current war.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe it's taken 3 pages for this:

SABATON - Bismarck (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Battleship Texas. Because:

(And this is funny as fuck and the end where he talks about Bismarck and Yamato is gold)

The Fat Electrician Reviews: The USS Texas (The Last Dreadnought)
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yamato and its not close
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All of a sudden I was 12 again.
Was that a geocities or angelfire site?
View Quote
It was well laid out and ready to read.
That's what it was.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Was that from a 10mm?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:28:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Iowas $100,000,000

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a native of North Dakota, thank you for a battleship class.
lol

Iowas $100,000,000

Bismarck could theoretically get off three salvos per minute.  In actual combat against another battleship USS Washington achieved a higher rate of fire per gun than Bismarck.  I will acknowledge that Washington was fighting at a shorter range, with a correspondingly shorter time of flight to the target.  However, even if that accounts for the difference, it illustrates that real world rate of fire depends on factors beyond the speed of loading the guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup; the advantage in armor and firepower is huge.

Bismarck was 42k tons, Yamato 71k.

Bismarck's heaviest armor was 14 inches on the turrets. Even Yamato's belt was thicker (16 inches, with the turrets at 25".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamato and its not close

Yup; the advantage in armor and firepower is huge.

Bismarck was 42k tons, Yamato 71k.

Bismarck's heaviest armor was 14 inches on the turrets. Even Yamato's belt was thicker (16 inches, with the turrets at 25".

God damn

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The shot was fired normal to the plate to simulate a strike from a plunging shell fired at max range, which would be falling at a 45 degree angle which would have put it perpendicular, or nearly so, to the turret face.
View Quote

And thats the other thing. No shot is going in at point blank range to hit the turret at its ideal defliction angle.

Some amateur historians seem to think that 45 degrees is a huge deal, but these ships aren't droadsiding at flat tragectory ranges. Of course, studies note that the shot was made under perfect conditions: new barrel, good powder, no weather variable,  controlled angle.

Like i said, deeply contested. My take is the ship would be dead even if the turrets survived. Hitting the rest of the ship is much more probable anyway.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#44]

The Bismarck did sink the Hood and the Yamato never sank anything, so there is that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#45]
The Spanish were sure to have beaten the English in 1588 too

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Bismarck did sink the Hood and the Yamato never sank anything, so there is that.
View Quote

Hood was a battlecruiser, not a battleship.

There's a Drach video on his take on why Hood went boom, too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
One shot from the wave motion gun and the Bismarck is dust
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seems to me a hand full of DD's and DE's stood the Yamato down
View Quote

Let’s be honest.  Kurita could have plowed through Taffy 3 and on to Leyte Gulf had he chosen to do so.  He lost his nerve after seeing what happened to his cruisers.

Which brings up another question.  With Kurita in command of Yamato and Lutjens in Bismarck, who runs away first?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Halsey's flag was flying from New Jersey, not Alabama.
View Quote

That's not what I meant.  Halsey was determined to chase down the Japanese carrier when he should have been guarding the back door to the US fleet at the Philippines.  

He didn't want to split his force, but he should have left a screening force at those straits at the very least.  Alabama would have been a natural choice for that job because she was slower that the fleet carriers and Iowa class ships that made up the bulk of Halsey's task force.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Let’s be honest.  Kurita could have plowed through Taffy 3 and on to Leyte Gulf had he chosen to do so.  He lost his nerve after seeing what happened to his cruisers.

Which brings up another question.  With Kurita in command of Yamato and Lutjens in Bismarck, who runs away first?  
View Quote

Depends on the situation and maybe if we're talking "early war" Kurita or "late war" Kurita, but I can't much imagine Kurita running from the Bismarck.

He'd have the advantage in that fight and he'd have known it. He also was no stranger to enemy fire.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top