Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
M4, after your move, post what you did. Only reason I ask is because I'll be doing the same thing soon also. Thing is, I'm only driving from MS to VA. Hope things turn out good for you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with the ATF regarding the transportation of firearms from one state to another.

I asked them if it was legal to transport various legal firearms across the country, unloaded, locked and out of reach, to my destination state, which allows the ownership of all the guns I'd be moving.

The ATF answer was this. They said that as far as they're concerned, as long as the departure state and destination state allowed the ownership of all the guns involved, they have no problem with it. However, various state AND local laws MAY prohibit such transport, and these laws would superceed the ATF position.

I was told that the only way to assure total legality was to not only contact every state that I'd be traveling through, but to contact every county and town along the way as well.

Now on a 3000+ mile drive across the country, the number of states, counties and towns necessary to be contacted would be in the hundreds, if not thousands. I told Mr.ATF that seemed damn near impossible to me, and he agreed.

I then asked him this. What does the ATF recommend for a law abiding citizen, in possetion of legal firearms to do in order to move across the country with these legal guns? Is there a letter available for travelers like myself to inform local law enforcement that I am only passing through to my new state? The answer was "no".

I then asked what he would recommend that I do in order to drive across the country, legally, with the guns I own. He told me to contact every state, county and town along the way to make sure I wouldn't be in violation of any laws.

What is this bullshit?!? We are NOT free people, we are suspects and fugitives from our own constitution.

Any of you have experience or feedback? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is there away around this? Was Mr.ATF wrong? [pissed][pissed][pissed]
View Quote

I know for a fact that the US Code states that the federal law surerceeds the local and state regulations. Go to NRA web and look for transportation of a firearm. Some states wont want to recognize this but it is federal law.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Just lock your guns up out of sight, and don't do or say anything stupid that would call attention to the fact that you have guns with you. They are nobody's business but your own.

Also, here is a list of things NOT to say if asked by the police:

1. No, but go ahead and search.
2. Yeah, all of them are in the back.
3. Hey, I got a couple pistols just like yours.
4. That's none of your damn business.
5. That's for me to know and you to find out. ;>)
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sons of Liberty:
Hey M4:
I was put in this very position last year moving from the freedom-loving Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the freedom-loving State of New Hampshire.  Well, if you draw a line between those 2 states, you cross through several bastions of communism including Massachusetts and New York.  

Unfortunately, the ATF is right.  So, I started researching what I had to do to legally carry my firearms through those states as I moved.  NY had NO provisions whatsoever, except to apply for a state Pistol permit, which they only give to residents.  Massachusetts was only marginally better, offering an out-of-state permit after paying $50, filling out 6,000 forms and waiting 6 months.  

My solution...  put trigger locks on guns, wrapped them up in separate boxes, tape them up, and moved my stuff through those states being real law-abiding like.  Well, I survived.  That's my suggestion.  Good luck!
Regards,
Paul D.
View Quote

Dude, I don't mean to be rude, but are you blind?  Can't you read?:

[b]www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf

B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful purposes?

Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, not withstanding State or local law to                    the contrary.  

The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and                    destination.

The ATF guy is wrong, you are wrong, and your research is flawed.  And you wasted gas driving around non-gun-friendly states.  Sorry to be the one to break it to you...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Ticonderoga:

No offense taken but I can see quite well and I can read too!  The ATF web site says "Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, not withstanding State or local law to the contrary".  The key words are "NOT WITHSTANDING STATE OR LOCAL LAW TO THE CONTRARY".  

If I got caught with them in Massachusetts, at the very least the cops would confiscate them.  I would spend $1000's of my favorite dollars trying to prove them wrong in court.  

Also, I did not waste any gas driving around the communist states.  There is no way to avoid them.  Pick up a map of the US and see how one must drive from PA to NH.  At the very least you have to go through NY.  I chose to go the straightest route (through NY, CT, MA) and just obeyed the speed limit and kept everything locked up out of site.  

Regards
SOL
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
FPA says if gun is legal in origin and destination state, and is locked during transit, FPA SUPERCEDES any State or Local law.

Period.

Keep a copy of the FPA, copy of itenerary, guns locked, mouth shut, and you'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As for you 71-Hour-Achmed...
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
I hesitate to offer advice to someone who is so obviously a jerk.
View Quote

A "jerk"? I don't recall being a "jerk" to you, however since your panties obviously got all bunched up over something, may I suggest you go f*ck yourself.
View Quote

Thanks!  Here's hoping your engine self-destructs while you're driving through New Jersey, Chicago, or California. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top