BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While the packs may be sealed, all the wiring is maybe not so much. Further, salt water is corrosive as shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had multiple houses burn in our area after a hurricane 2 years ago from flooded out golf carts and cars batteries.
I would imagine EVs are just as susceptible.

You would be wrong. Lithium packs in cars are sealed.

While the packs may be sealed, all the wiring is maybe not so much. Further, salt water is corrosive as shit.

Well that would be a problem for both ICE and EV then now wouldnt it? Im going to guess interior damage on either is going to total it out regardless.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Most 120V outlets are limited to generally about 1500 watts. If you plug in to a 120V outlet, you won't get very far on how much power you get in an hour or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the same as a car with an empty gas tank, I figure.

What's the EV equivalent of this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/479a2f4c-06e5-47e6-b2f7-0a24ce07a821-thu-2542695.JPG

What's the ICE equivalent of being able to use an 120V socket anywhere to get at least some charge, by just making it out of the path of the storm outages, even if gas deliver has stopped?

Or riding it out and being at home and able to slowly fuel up with solar after skies clear... but with the gas stations still empty for the next week?

Most 120V outlets are limited to generally about 1500 watts. If you plug in to a 120V outlet, you won't get very far on how much power you get in an hour or two.

I agree. It would suck. Far far from ideal.

But in an emergency, it's more than your gas tank would fill itself up sitting outside of a hotel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If the EV driver can't find a way to recharge in 300 freakin miles, you likely aren't going to find a working gas pump either.  

Yes, you could say that well I can load up another 20 gallons of gasoline and go another 300 and the EV would be stuck half way.  That is true...but most people don't have room for their wife, their kids, everyone's most prized belonging and a bunch of luggage....PLUS 20 fuckin gallons of extra gasoline, in their family car.

EVs are better at some things than gasoline cars and they are worse at some things.  There comes a point though when the situation that you are creating to show that one is better than the other, is such that which we have entered the world of rarities and ridiculousness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I said previously in the thread. "I can see you have never done this before."

So you drive 300 miles North in Florida,  probably less due to some reduced range due to traffic etc.  
Then what? Camp on the side of the road in the rain?

If the EV driver can't find a way to recharge in 300 freakin miles, you likely aren't going to find a working gas pump either.  

Yes, you could say that well I can load up another 20 gallons of gasoline and go another 300 and the EV would be stuck half way.  That is true...but most people don't have room for their wife, their kids, everyone's most prized belonging and a bunch of luggage....PLUS 20 fuckin gallons of extra gasoline, in their family car.

EVs are better at some things than gasoline cars and they are worse at some things.  There comes a point though when the situation that you are creating to show that one is better than the other, is such that which we have entered the world of rarities and ridiculousness.

Except that gasoline trucks deliver gas right up to the point where they can't get to the stations precisely to help people evacuate and help with backup power.

Not being prepared to evacuate given the number of days notice there was seems kinda dumb regardless of daily driver choice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well that would be a problem for both ICE and EV then now wouldnt it? Im going to guess interior damage on either is going to total it out regardless.
View Quote

You wonder why brodozers are a thing here...

Can't fuck up pertinent harnesses and get water in trans/differentials/intakes/exhausts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How many dead T-Rex’s does it take to fill that?
View All Quotes

I would only do it if I had the stock 26gal.

I have a 36gal tank stock so it's not really worth it for me
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree. It would suck. Far far from ideal.

But in an emergency, it's more than your gas tank would fill itself up sitting outside of a hotel.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Do hood rat things.
There's cars at the hotel?
Hose, or screw driver and you can snatch fuel in a jiffy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you evacuate with a dead EV?

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

250-300 miles will get you plenty far away.

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.

Lol yeah and don’t run the A/C or the radio!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't fuck up pertinent harnesses and get water in trans/differentials/intakes/exhausts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have family in FL outside Port Orange. You all have salt just fucking flying around the air all willy nilly on a good day. I dont see how any vehicle in FL makes it 10+ years if it's not stored in a garage.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell me you haven’t read the whole thread without telling me you haven’t read the whole thread.  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WILLY NILLY

As discussed above, go ahead a run the air conditioner.

I'll still have power after the ICE cars are out of gas.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how do you use one of these to fill your EV?

Or, you know, if you're desperate:

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3e7d79e0-7b69-4803-99a4-50ed79e0c841_1.7edc28ac629ef343e215b77d3992574d.jpeg

https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/images/stories/virtuemart/product/t7027_A.jpg

If I'm desperate:

If you are to the point that you are going to damage and strand someone else's car... just take their car. Damn.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
But AOC said we should buy EV in case there's no gasoline anymore.  LOL.  She is so detached from reality.  What a globalist stooge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing that is interesting. I don't think most people realize you aren't siphoning gas out of a modern car.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unlike gas cars, EV's engines don't use their "fuel" when idle.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike gas cars, EV's engines don't use their "fuel" when idle.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.

*cough* full gascans in the trunk *cough*
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I'm desperate:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/9/porsche%20type%202%20charger%20wall%20outlet.jpg

If you are to the point that you are going to damage and strand someone else's car... just take their car. Damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3e7d79e0-7b69-4803-99a4-50ed79e0c841_1.7edc28ac629ef343e215b77d3992574d.jpeg

https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/images/stories/virtuemart/product/t7027_A.jpg

If I'm desperate:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/9/porsche%20type%202%20charger%20wall%20outlet.jpg

That's presuming their car runs, you know.

Besides, mine is a lot safer to um ... expedient transport fuel ...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One thing that is interesting. I don't think most people realize you aren't siphoning gas out of a modern car.
View Quote

Duh, that's what the awl is for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Except that gasoline trucks deliver gas right up to the point where they can't get to the stations precisely to help people evacuate and help with backup power.

Not being prepared to evacuate given the number of days notice there was seems kinda dumb regardless of daily driver choice.
View Quote

Only people who really have to evacuate are in HOAS and trailer parks really...
Chintzy built is chintzy built...
That face when both 600k+ and single wides fare about the same in a gustyboi.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have family in FL outside Port Orange. You all have salt just fucking flying around the air all willy nilly on a good day. I dont see how any vehicle in FL makes it 10+ years if it's not stored in a garage.

View Quote

Both of my trucks look like brand new after a wash (black) hell even the project truck looks like brand new underneath (paint is sun blasted) and none have ever been garaged.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
GET YEETED ON DURING THE STORMALOO
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I'm desperate:

View Quote

No that's a downgrade. It's a car...cars suck in gustybois.
Trucks/brodozers with a pirate flag and fuck biden flag in the bed make flooded roads easy.
If really flooded?

Drop bracket, carrier bearing, pull the drive shaft bolts. Bolt a propeller on the flange and take the pontoons out of the bed, bolt them to where the factory bitch rails go, put rudder in hitch receiver, open power slider, so you can steer rudder.
TRUCK BOAT
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh good.  I suppose all the EV owners keep a few spare cans of gas-batteries in the garage for the lawnmower they can pour into their tanks.
View Quote

In fairness I actually got my electric mower partly because it works with an inverter so I can use the batteries for smaller electrical tasks then recharge em while I'm running the generator for bigger stuff anyway. EV has its place, but that place is definitely not "100% electric then it rains and your car becomes a serious hazard"
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://p.kindpng.com/picc/s/162-1624286_transparent-pepe-laugh-pepe-laugh-png-png-download.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://p.kindpng.com/picc/s/162-1624286_transparent-pepe-laugh-pepe-laugh-png-png-download.png

Or live near the coast, like the majority of florida. Most of the counties that ended up dodging at the last minute before the storm hit  started mandatory evacuations of a ,b and c flood zones. That’s well beyond trailer parks and housing developments.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reason 87 Why I love Florida.
I'm outside steaks on the grille. Wind starting to kick up.

Every limp wristed fuck is cowering in their houses and the sounds of cordless screw guns going brrrrrr
Roads are vacant like a ghost town. Except for my people.
Bro. It sounds like a drag strip in front of my house and the surrounding 5 miles.

I love it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Car AC draws about 1-2 watts. The displays use considerably less.

So I could sit and idle my Porsche at a comfortable temperature for 50-100 hours.
View Quote

Why settle for 50-100 hours?
For only $20.42, you can run almost indefinitely!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/386370/1462824D-08A0-4A5D-9880-40DDB3F4AFC8_jpe-2542994.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Car AC draws about 1-2 watts. The displays use considerably less.

So I could sit and idle my Porsche at a comfortable temperature for 50-100 hours.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/386370/1462824D-08A0-4A5D-9880-40DDB3F4AFC8_jpe-2542994.JPG

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Volusia County vehicle standards aren’t particularly high…

Besides, rust holes make it easier for the flood water to drain out!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Every limp wristed fuck is cowering in their houses and the sounds of cordless screw guns going brrrrrr
Bro. It sounds like a drag strip in front of my house and the surrounding 5 miles.

I love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love it.

On Patrol Live covers Volusia and Marion Counties…
Might be some quality coverage this Friday/Saturday…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A friend of mine keeps four of these in his glove box.
He says they will give him close to thirty more minutes drive time in his Chevy Bolt.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4392/7D354219-67F4-4423-A9CA-E2574E78E45A-2542658.jpg
View Quote

No. Lol
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or live near the coast, like the majority of florida. Most of the counties that ended up dodging at the last minute before the storm hit  started mandatory evacuations of a ,b and c flood zones. That’s well beyond trailer parks and housing developments.
View Quote

Fuck that. I got cases of flex seal. If it can seal a screen door to a boat. It'll seal the shit out of the door frames window frames and where the block meets the slab. If I have to...
Brodozer, jet boat and 2 RXPs

I only have to gtfo in case the reactor shits the bed.
Or a tornado. Because no basment.

Next house? I'm building a basement.
Build the grade. Pour the slab and walls. Truck in clean fill, pack it in to German torque specs-gudentite.
Build house and garage. Voila. Basement. Fuck you tornado! Do good drains along the perimeter walls to a moat around the property. Filled with gators.
Why waste ammo in a home defense scenario when gators can do the deed for free?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
someone's mowing their lawn right now!
That's thinking outside the box. Save gas, don't run the blower or have to rake. Just let the wind take it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How far north do you think those people in south FL are going to go?  Here's a hint  it's not anywhere in FL.
View Quote
It's still a non-issue just like the thread title. This event reinforces the robustness of the SC network if nothing else. On top of that I could've waited until yesterday morning and left Key West, had lunch and charged in West Palm, taken a break 4 hours later  NW of Orlando and then driven on to Valdosta as a safe haven where they expect 1" of rain and 30mph winds. I could do the exact same trip right now post-event, or I could return home easily as there's tons of charging options on-line; that never went off line; and the car updates real-time to let me know.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

hope your shoes are up to it or learn the backstroke
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Gotta hit the I believe button in emergencies
View Quote

and rub the prepubescent boobs on your Saint thunberg statue on the dashboard and growl "how dare you!"
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was just thinking what would happen if a hurricane hit the west coast.

Imagine.
View Quote

most parts wouldn't get much storm surge it's not as low elevation as florida. It would wreck a few multimillion dollar beachfront properties that are largely rundown shacks and make a small dent in the almond irrigation bill.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Now I am wondering how efficient it would be to have a "bug out trailer".  Instead of hauling extra fuel like some guys do, tow a trailer with big ass extra batteries and just run a cable.

1000 mile range here I come!
View Quote

needs as many wheels as a sarmat launch vehicle
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Can I charge my EV with one of these?  It is a hurricane after all

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/images/sailboat-wind-generator-5-bladed-type.jpg
View Quote

Now you're cooking with gas hurricanes!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/images/sailboat-wind-generator-5-bladed-type.jpg
View Quote

Does it make more than 1-2 watts? Should at least run the AC for a bit…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I do sweat a lot
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Hurricane Ian power outages in Florida reach 1.5 million as storm makes landfall

Florida's Lee, Collier and Sarasota counties have majority of power outages so far.  

Floridians are beginning to lose power, with outages hitting 1.5 million as the Category 4 Hurricane Ian made landfall Wednesday afternoon.

In the morning — around 5 a.m. — reported outages totaled approximately 35,000, according to PowerOutage.us.

The Unplugged Movement continues to grow!!

#TeamUnplugged
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally it takes an EV approximately 20 minutes to charge using a rapid charger. Imagine the lines for changing a EV during an evaluation. The gas pump lines already get backed up when hurricane evacuations take place.

The push for EVs isn’t about the environment, it’s about control and fundamentally changing how we operate as a society.

Our enemies must be laughing as our nation is being destroyed from within.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#44]
In this thread, we discover who drives an EV...HINT:  the ones saying it's just like a gas vehicle...LOL
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In this thread, we discover who drives an EV...HINT:  the ones saying it's just like a gas vehicle...LOL
View Quote

No.

In some ways better.

In some ways worse.

Regardless... preparation and planning is the make or break. Not your drive train.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Can’t wait to hear about the governors inability to govern during a crisis from the MSM
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't even own an EV (overpriced for my kind of driving) but am laughing at this thread.

If you didn't fill your tank or charge your car yesterday, you're a dumbass.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/512558/IMG_5691_jpg-2542841.JPG

scrolled over to florida in my model 3 to get a live map for your viewing pleasure. Ignore the red colors - that is just something with the navigation.

You can see some on the left coast are out but a fair amount are showing as active.

I think this is live but i'm not sure how often it updates.

If nothing else it looks like you could head east and then north.

--

Do any gas cars have live maps of what gas stations are working along with info on the wait, and navigation integration? I think this is one of the cooler features of the Tesla.
I'm not a GD certified Hurricane Expert - but it seems like a handy feature.
View Quote

Doesn't gasbuddy do that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True dat ... if you don't bother to plug it in, you are SOL (unless you have some way to charge it)

Folks who have storms brewing should take the time to "prepare" (not "panic")

That said, a backup generator makes sense for more than just EV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can they keep the air conditioning on as long or longer than ICE stuck in traffic?

Yes

Oh? How many watts does the A/C unit pull in a Tesla? Are they more efficient than the DC A/C units in an RV?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top