BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/512558/IMG_5691_jpg-2542841.JPG

scrolled over to florida in my model 3 to get a live map for your viewing pleasure. Ignore the red colors - that is just something with the navigation.

You can see some on the left coast are out but a fair amount are showing as active.

I think this is live but i'm not sure how often it updates.

If nothing else it looks like you could head east and then north.

--

Do any gas cars have live maps of what gas stations are working along with info on the wait, and navigation integration? I think this is one of the cooler features of the Tesla.
I'm not a GD certified Hurricane Expert - but it seems like a handy feature.
View Quote
You're doing it wrong. You can't hit the SC button and then pan around. Get back to that screen and then x out of the list, pan over to the part that was greyed out and hit the SC button again and it will poll those.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's pretty much 4 pages of me say "you should charge your car or fill up your tank BEFORE the hurricane gets to your house" and being told "no, that is what jerry cans are for".
View Quote

Uhm, the band????

The Electric Shock Manatees are disappointed…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh for fuck’s sake. My son drove from Gainesville, FL to Charlottesville, VA yesterday in less than 12 hours.  There was power the whole fucking way.  

Yesterday

Hurricanes aren’t rocket science.

Any EV owner that evacuated Ft Myers yesterday could have been in Atlanta long before landfall at just after 3pm today if they’d wanted to be, easily. And had zero issue finding a place to charge.  

Just stop with this whole “we know hurricanes you don’t” bullshit.  I’ve been in plenty.  Plus I watched DeSantis tell people on the news they didn’t have to leave the state, just get out of the path of the storm.  As already discussed, Miami and Ft Lauderdale are 140 miles from Ft Myers.  Going to the Marriott website, there are 40 hotels in Miami with rooms for tonight.  Just Marriotts. Just Miami

So just stop.  You sound like a bunch of fucking morons
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Uhm, the band????
https://c.tenor.com/Hc9i5WAZ7PkAAAAC/the-band-blues-brothers.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty much 4 pages of me say "you should charge your car or fill up your tank BEFORE the hurricane gets to your house" and being told "no, that is what jerry cans are for".

Uhm, the band????

We need to get @doc_Zox in here with his AI magic to generate us up some Electric Shock Manatees.

Maybe throw some gas cans and EVs in there too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What if I’m gay and don’t like Jerry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What if I’m gay and don’t like Jerry?

We covered that back on page 3…
Keep up Porkchop!

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh for fuck’s sake. My son drove from Gainesville, FL to Charlottesville, VA yesterday in less than 12 hours.  There was power the whole fucking way.  

Yesterday

Any EV owner that evacuated Ft Myers yesterday could have been in Atlanta long before landfall at just after 3pm today if they’d wanted to be, easily. And had zero issue finding a place to charge.  

Just stop with this whole “we know hurricanes you don’t” bullshit.  I’ve been in plenty.  Plus I watched DeSantis tell people on the news they didn’t have to leave the state, just get out of the path of the storm.  As already discussed, Miami and Ft Lauderdale are 140 miles from Ft Myers.  Going to the Marriott website, there are 40 hotels in Miami with rooms for tonight.  Just Marriotts

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Easy mount full length solar panels on the car above the roof like a flat top carrier.  

No you won’t get any sunshine during a hurricane but the 120;mile per hour winds will generate lift and send you flying above the traffic.  

Bonus is wind is also green energy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yesterday

Just stop with this whole “we know hurricanes you don’t” bullshit.  I’ve been in plenty.  Plus I watched DeSantis tell people on the news they didn’t have to leave the state, just get out of the path of the storm.  As already discussed, Miami and Ft Lauderdale are 140 miles from Ft Myers.  Going to the Marriott website, there are 40 hotels in Miami with rooms for tonight.  Just Marriotts

View Quote

You're no fun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]

@aridcat lemme know if you are still having trouble with my directions and I can try to make a wobbly video.

Looks like there's a whopping 3 superchargers without power out of ~30 in the Tampa/St Pete area (had to scroll).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can buy home batteries. Several members here have them.

But again:

If you are waiting to "fill up", regardless of what you drive, AFTER the evacuation has started... you are an idiot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the same as a car with an empty gas tank, I figure.

You fill up with your previously stored fuel for emergencies and drive to safety? Oh, wait...

You can buy home batteries. Several members here have them.

But again:

If you are waiting to "fill up", regardless of what you drive, AFTER the evacuation has started... you are an idiot.

I have 3 Powerwalls on order...so my Tesla can use the Inverters to power the house. ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We need to get @doc_Zox in here with his AI magic to generate us up some Electric Shock Manatees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhm, the band????

That could be patch worthy…

More R A R E S ?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Easy mount full length solar panels on the car above the roof like a flat top carrier.  

No you won’t get any sunshine during a hurricane but the 120;mile per hour winds will generate lift and send you flying above the traffic.  

View Quote

That certainly is one way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/52AB43C8-33C3-4393-9659-0004FAADE3D4-2542884.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/831DC6F2-6FF2-4AE9-A942-529CC604C405-2542883.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/A7C77904-3435-4223-8A06-50E8A533F817-2542881.jpg

@aridcat lemme know if you are still having trouble with my directions and I can try to make a wobbly video.

Looks like there's a whopping 3 superchargers without power out of ~30 in the Tampa/St Pete area (had to scroll).
View Quote

yeah looks the same for me. doesn't look too bad.

man i wish we had that many superchargers in arizona.  Anything south of Tucson is just a power black hole.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

250-300 miles will get you plenty far away.
View Quote

How far north do you think those people in south FL are going to go?  Here’s a hint… it’s not anywhere in FL.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sail power???

What’s old is new again??
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you evacuate with a dead EV?

You can store gas.. you can't feasibly store electricity in a manner to be able to recharge a car.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

More R A R E S ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhm, the band????

More R A R E S ?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]

No, not sail power. Think-glider. Moar better. You get lifted above the traffic and sent flying.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do gas pumps in your ao work without electricity?
View Quote

In my old FL AO, yes they do.  Lesson learned from hurricanes past - gas stations have generators.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]

I was before I read 4 pages of people whipping out their hurricane….bona fides…let’s go with that….and their predictions that every EV owner in southwest Florida was about to drown

Of course, if I had to evacuate from the hill I live on in Virginia maybe I’d just drive the Silverado and leave the long range 3.  I dunno.  Depends on the mood I’d be in.

Quoted:

You're no fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yesterday

You're no fun.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How far north do you think those people in south FL are going to go?  Here’s a hint… it’s not anywhere in FL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

Still not sure why Miami is off the table... but sure.

But. Okay, if you insist.

Then if you are leaving Ft Myers, top off in Orlando (under 200 miles) then Gainesville or Jacksonville to get you well into Georgia. Hell... you could just hit Gainesville straight from Ft Myers (250 miles). Then go to Tallahassee.

If you are leaving Tampa... just shoot straight for Jacksonville (200 miles). Top off there and get to Savannah with half a "tank" left.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thing is named Ian, not Katrina...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]

I was just thinking what would happen if a hurricane hit the west coast.

Imagine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My point is, if the fuel supply is disrupted for an extended period of time. You could still "get gas" anywhere at all with electricity (or if you have a home setup) indefinitely.

If you main concern is just fleeing the storm... 300 miles is plenty. And that (or more) is the range of most new EVs.

And an EV can idle in traffic with heat or AC for DAYS. If it comes to that.

If your evacuating is contingent on "minutes"... you've already fucked up.
View Quote

I take it you’ve never evacuated from a major hurricane in a state the size and shape of FL nor lived through the aftermath.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

45 gallon replacement tank
90 gallon auxiliary tank

135 gallons @ 17mpg = 2,295 miles per fill up

EVs destroyed yet again
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why drive North, why not East? It's not like we don't know the path of the storm.

And power isn't going to be out the whole way up ahead of you regardless.
View Quote

Yup.  State is 100 miles wide down there.  Hurricane force winds are 150 miles wide.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/4A1A02DB-4D03-4514-9171-1925692CA39F-2542908.jpg

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was just thinking what would happen if a hurricane hit the west coast.

Imagine.
View Quote

Well. It'll wash alot of Chuck Taylor's Rainbow flags and Che Guevara shirts out of shit hole supremes...
Might even flood/wash wassermanshultz office out of existence.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 15/5 gallon gas cans in my garage,can't store extra batteries
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to have a trailer hitch installed first  then a trailer and a generator in trailer running
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Serious question.

How do you get out of a state with no active recharge stations in range?

Throw a portable generator in the trunk?

(ie gas cans)
View Quote

walk?

thats like asking how a gas car would operate if there were no gas stations
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
All the SW FL peeps are here in Jupiter..all our hotels are  at 100% capacity.

I needed to do an emergency evac for my son  at Florida Gulf Coast University last evening ..so literally a coast to coast bomb run to get there by dark and somehow fight thru traffic to get home. I was going to take my lifted truck but I needed an all weather, AWD, 1100 hp night fighter so Plaid S here we go.  

Ended up running to FT Myers, then down to Naples to see step mom then turned to Alligator Alley where I charged for about 20 mins..them full blast in the Express lanes thru Broward to Jupiter..about 400 miles made very easy in the EV
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I needed to do an emergency evac for my son  at Florida Gulf Coast University last evening ..so literally a coast to coast bomb run to get there by dark and somehow fight thru traffic to get home. I was going to take my lifted truck but I needed an all weather, AWD, 1100 hp night fighter so Plaid S here we go.  

Ended up running to FT Myers, then down to Naples to see step mom then turned to Alligator Alley where I charged for about 20 mins..them full blast in the Express lanes thru Broward to Jupiter..about 400 miles made very easy in the EV
View Quote

Impossible, you died at mile 301
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He died inside when he bought an EV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/4A1A02DB-4D03-4514-9171-1925692CA39F-2542908.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

we are going to need some pictures of the plaid
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obvious wizard is obvious
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Unlike gas cars, EV's engines don't use their "fuel" when idle.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.

Same thing as we saw last winter, EV's can keep the heat on as long or longer than ICE sitting stuck on the freeway in the snow.

Can they keep the air conditioning on as long or longer than ICE stuck in traffic?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#43]
RIP, brother.   It’s a shame you and your son died last night in your EV.  If only you’d taken the truck.  

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Can they keep the air conditioning on as long or longer than ICE stuck in traffic?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

45 gallon replacement tank
90 gallon auxiliary tank

135 gallons @ 17mpg = 2,295 miles per fill up

EVs destroyed yet again

Link?

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116947

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

thinking about that

do newer ice cars that stop the engine when the car is stopped lose AC when the engine is stopped?

I've never had a new enough ICE car to get the start/stop tech.

As far as EVs go - I've played games in my car for a couple hours in my 90+ degree garage with the car set at 72 degrees and only lost about 1% of battery. From what i googled a idling ICE car may use around .5 gallon / hour so yeah with that super unscientific estimate I would guess the EV would definitely outlast the ICE car
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You would be wrong. Lithium packs in cars are sealed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had multiple houses burn in our area after a hurricane 2 years ago from flooded out golf carts and cars batteries.
I would imagine EVs are just as susceptible.

You would be wrong. Lithium packs in cars are sealed.

While the packs may be sealed, all the wiring is maybe not so much. Further, salt water is corrosive as shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What's the ICE equivalent of being able to use an 120V socket anywhere to get at least some charge, by just making it out of the path of the storm outages, even if gas deliver has stopped?

Or riding it out and being at home and able to slowly fuel up with solar after skies clear... but with the gas stations still empty for the next week?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the EV equivalent of this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/479a2f4c-06e5-47e6-b2f7-0a24ce07a821-thu-2542695.JPG

What's the ICE equivalent of being able to use an 120V socket anywhere to get at least some charge, by just making it out of the path of the storm outages, even if gas deliver has stopped?

Or riding it out and being at home and able to slowly fuel up with solar after skies clear... but with the gas stations still empty for the next week?

Most 120V outlets are limited to generally about 1500 watts. If you plug in to a 120V outlet, you won't get very far on how much power you get in an hour or two.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to fill a tank with a 5 gallon can of gas than to charge an EV with no power

Stuck in bumper to bumper evacuation traffic?  I can see you have never done this before.

Car AC draws about 1-2 watts. The displays use considerably less.

So I could sit and idle my Porsche at a comfortable temperature for 50-100 hours.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top