BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why is your tank empty when a hurricane hits? That would be on you. I'd be charged up (or fueled up) before the storm came.

Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale is 140 miles.

Just saying, I theoretically could drive there and back without stopping to charge.

I sure as shit could make it there and charge while I grab a couple Cuban sandwiches.

If you are sitting on empty... or fleeing from the storm for 1000 miles... you really need to re-evaluate you problem solving skills regardless of what makes your wheels go around.
View Quote

The storm popped up out of nowhere, man, no one knew it was coming.  The horror
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What's the ICE equivalent of being able to use an 120V socket anywhere to get at least some charge, by just making it out of the path of the storm outages, even if gas deliver has stopped?

Or riding it out and being at home and able to slowly fuel up with solar after skies clear... but with the gas stations still empty for the next week?
View Quote

Why would I need to do any of that if I gassed up before and keep a few 5 gal cans in the garage?

The fact is, I can greatly extend my vehicle's range with only mins of delay and no care what the power grid state is in any given area. You simply don't have that with EVs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you charge an EV while driving?

Generator and 10 gallons of fuel, either towed or in the trunk? Is that an option?

Solar panels?

(Not that solar helps during a hurricane).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Tesla even sent out an alert to cars in the area before hand to remind people to charge up.

I wonder if that message is automated
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why would I need to do any of that if I gassed up before and keep a few 5 gal cans in the garage?

The fact is, I can greatly extend my vehicle's range with only mins of delay and no care what the power grid state is in any given area. You simply don't have that with EVs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the ICE equivalent of being able to use an 120V socket anywhere to get at least some charge, by just making it out of the path of the storm outages, even if gas deliver has stopped?

Or riding it out and being at home and able to slowly fuel up with solar after skies clear... but with the gas stations still empty for the next week?

My point is, if the fuel supply is disrupted for an extended period of time. You could still "get gas" anywhere at all with electricity (or if you have a home setup) indefinitely.

If you main concern is just fleeing the storm... 300 miles is plenty. And that (or more) is the range of most new EVs.

And an EV can idle in traffic with heat or AC for DAYS. If it comes to that.

If your evacuating is contingent on "minutes"... you've already fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like that his plan is to evacuate last minute and steal from people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh! So you just drill a hole in a full EV's battery and siphon the electricity. Makes sense.

I like that his plan is to evacuate last minute and steal from people.

It's better than no plan.

On the plus side, no one is stealing his catalytic converter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
EVs are for gays
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My point is, if the fuel supply is disrupted for an extended period of time. You could still "get gas" anywhere at all with electricity (or if you have a home setup) indefinitely.

If you main concern is just fleeing the storm... 300 miles is plenty. And that (or more) is the range of most new EVs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said previously in the thread. "I can see you have never done this before."

So you drive 300 miles North in Florida,  probably less due to some reduced range due to traffic etc.  
Then what? Camp on the side of the road in the rain?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The amount of people in any vehicle who have zero preparation skill should really show everyone it has nothing to do with EVs. Would an ev be my choice no however it’s always amazing how many people have zero preps during this stuff. It’s like the gas or charge thing neither matter if you don’t have a plan to where you’re going or plans if something fubars while on the way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the same as a car with an empty gas tank, I figure.

What's the EV equivalent of this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/479a2f4c-06e5-47e6-b2f7-0a24ce07a821-thu-2542695.JPG

The solution is to own a large diesel truck with a generator + tank in the trunk, towing an EV for mobile electricity needs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Approximately 95,000 people are currently without power in Southwest Florida.  

Governor Desantis says millions will be effected by this time tomorrow.

EV owners are strongly encouraged to remain indoors and are advised that it may be unsafe to reconnect any unplugged vehicles that are outside for the next 24-48 hours.
View Quote

If you take out the battery packs, the little go karts make good boats.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just get vaccinated and everything will be fine.
View Quote

Also wear a mask!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How do you evacuate with a dead EV?
View Quote

With several days advance notice, why would you have a dead EV?  In the same vein, why would your car be sitting in your driveway with only 2 gallons of gas this morning if you knew a hurricane was coming?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

250-300 miles will get you plenty far away.
View Quote
Are you going to get 250 miles or be stuck in traffic for 15 hours and move 20 miles?  I don't know how well evacuation works in Florida.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As I said previously in the thread. "I can see you have never done this before."

So you drive 300 miles North in Florida,  probably less due to some reduced range due to traffic etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why drive North, why not East? It's not like we don't know the path of the storm.

And power isn't going to be out the whole way up ahead of you regardless.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you know a storm is coming and don't bother to charge your car before hand, you are an idiot.

View Quote

You’ve obviously never dealt with a hurricane, or have any idea what you’re talking about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
EVs are for gays
View Quote

No EV’s are for “partners”.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You’ve obviously never dealt with a hurricane, or have any idea what you’re talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming I didn't spend 6 years living across the border from Outer Banks, NC (which I did)... but, for the sake of conversation, if I knew about hurricanes, I wouldn't need to be prepared by making sure my car was full BEFORE landfall?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the EV driver can't find a way to recharge in 300 freakin miles, you likely aren't going to find a working gas pump either.  

Yes, you could say that well I can load up another 20 gallons of gasoline and go another 300 and the EV would be stuck half way.  That is true...but most people don't have room for their wife, their kids, everyone's most prized belonging and a bunch of luggage....PLUS 20 fuckin gallons of extra gasoline, in their family car.

EVs are better at some things than gasoline cars and they are worse at some things.  There comes a point though when the situation that you are creating to show that one is better than the other, is such that which we have entered the world of rarities and ridiculousness.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are unprepared, you are probably gonna get stranded.

It's been happening for decades.

ICE cars clearly won't save you from this.

EV's won't either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Shouldn’t there be memes of this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frank Rizzo of the FWC stated, “The Florida manatee is naturally attracted to high amperage electrical devices and won’t hesitate to unplug them as the rising waters allow them to swim further into flooded residential areas.

Shouldn’t there be memes of this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are unprepared, you are probably gonna get stranded.

It's been happening for decades.

ICE cars clearly won't save you from this.

EV's won't either.
View Quote

ICE will save you
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If the EV driver can't find a way to recharge in 300 freakin miles, you likely aren't going to find a working gas pump either.  

Yes, you could say that well I can load up another 20 gallons of gasoline and go another 300 and the EV would be stuck half way.  That is true...but most people don't have room for their wife, their kids, everyone's most prized belonging and a bunch of luggage....PLUS 20 fuckin gallons of extra gasoline, in their family car.

EVs are better at some things than gasoline cars and they are worse at some things.  There comes a point though when the situation that you are creating to show that one is better than the other, is such that which we have entered the world of rarities and ridiculousness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And keep in mind, sitting in traffic, your "engine" isn't using gas when idling. Your 300 mile range is gonna pretty much be 300 miles, if it takes you 5 hours or 40.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually…if you’re planning to find lodging, you’re gonna end up driving a LOT more than 300 miles to find a hotel right now…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
If more people had EVs there would not even be hurricanes, How dare you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And keep in mind, sitting in traffic, your "engine" isn't using gas when idling. Your 300 mile range is gonna pretty much be 300 miles, if it takes you 5 hours or 40.
View Quote
Some of these arguments....  "Well the EV truck can't tow my 87 foot horse trailer through the Stelvio Pass in Italy with 23 feet of snow on the ground, in a single charge!"  

No...no it cannot do that. The average Joe American's car is his garage right now, can't do that either.  Suddenly every arfcomer has the perfect hurricane bug out truck in their garage and a underground gas tank in the back 40, full of 2 week old premium gas ready to go at all times.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Big Bend Power Station! My father-in-law worked there for pretty much his entire career with TECO. The manatee viewing center is pretty neat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually…if you’re planning to find lodging, you’re gonna end up driving a LOT more than 300 miles to find a hotel right now…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So? That's going to apply to gas cars too.

A few counties are out of power, not the entire state of Florida.

300 miles will get you to a charger (or worst case an electrical socket) with power.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/florida
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]
A gas station with a backup generator can run the pumps and refuel how many cars in one hour?

Not to mention it can fuel its own generator.

How many EVs can be charged by the same output in one hour and where does such an equal scenario even exist for EVs?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Actually if you're planning to find lodging, you're gonna end up driving a LOT more than 300 miles to find a hotel right now
View Quote

This guy understands hurricanes (looking at you Virginia EV fanboy).  Would like to hear what the EV guys would think the availability of a charger(assuming power is available) during a hurricane evacuation on an evacuation route would be?  I am beginning to think northerners shouldn't even be allowed to post in hurricane threads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
EVs are for gays
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This guy understands hurricanes (looking at you Virginia EV fanboy).  Would like to hear what the EV guys would think the availability of a charger(assuming power is available) during a hurricane evacuation on an evacuation route would be?  I am beginning to think northerners shouldn't even be allowed to post in hurricane threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually if you're planning to find lodging, you're gonna end up driving a LOT more than 300 miles to find a hotel right now

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Man riding out hurricane in Fort Myers says he's seeing "incredibly high" waves in Gulf of Mexico

Frank Loni, an architect from California who is working in Fort Myers, Florida, said he's "never seen something of this nature before" as Hurricane Ian hammers the area.

He's seeing cars and boats float down the street and "trees nearly bent in half," as well as some people seeking shelter, he told CNN's Ana Cabrera.

The storm surge is about 5 feet high right now, he estimated. The National Hurricane Center said storm surge could reach 18 feet in the area.  

The Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission (FWC)  has advised the storm surge may result in dangerous encounters with marine wildlife.  Frank Rizzo of the FWC stated, “The Florida manatee is naturally attracted to high amperage electrical devices and won’t hesitate to unplug them as the rising waters allow them to swim further into flooded residential areas.
View Quote

wtf manatees unplugging shit?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of these arguments....  "Well the EV truck can't tow my 87 foot horse trailer through the Stelvio Pass in Italy with 23 feet of snow on the ground, in a single charge!"  

No...no it cannot do that. The average Joe American's car is his garage right now, can't do that either.  Suddenly every arfcomer has the perfect hurricane bug out truck in their garage and a underground gas tank in the back 40, full of 2 week old premium gas ready to go at all times.
View Quote

Toyota Camry gets 40mpg….has a 16 gallon tank…
For bug out purposes, throw a few 5 gallon jerry cans in the trunk and you’ve literally doubled your range.  4x4 Pickup is desirable but not required for hurricane bug out…

#TeamUnplugged
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#35]
300 gallon fuel blivet - $3,072 . Enough fuel for 20 gasoline vehicles.
1Mwh mobile charging station - $1,104,800 . Enough charge for 20 electric vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just throw a few spare generators in the bed or trunk.

Or grab a few battery packs.

I would think an EV owner would be fully prepared just like a ICE vehicle owner.

Not many poor folks have EV and since they are smart (reason why they are not poor) they have the funds to plan ahead.

Or just fire up the emergency generator and charge your EV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Toyota Camry gets 40mpg .has a 16 gallon tank
For bug out purposes, throw a few 5 gallon jerry cans in the trunk and you've literally doubled your range.  4x4 Pickup is desirable but not required for hurricane bug out

#TeamUnplugged
View Quote
Do you need to drive 1,280 miles....literally half way across the fucking country without ever stopping for fuel, to escape the hurricane today?  Is everyone who lives within 1000 miles of FL all fucked?  

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/retard-face-png-7-1829589.png

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/retard-face-png-7-1829589.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/holy-fuck-my-chin-long-as-fuck-lol-29755-1719598.png

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do you need to drive 1,280 miles....literally half way across the fucking country, without ever stopping for fuel, to escape death in FL today?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For bug out purposes, throw a few 5 gallon jerry cans in the trunk and you've literally doubled your range.  4x4 Pickup is desirable but not required for hurricane bug out

#TeamUnplugged
Do you need to drive 1,280 miles....literally half way across the fucking country, without ever stopping for fuel, to escape death in FL today?  

In the coming news, there where be countless stories of dead EV owners who could only get 300 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

BOAT THREAD
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but I can easily put 1000 miles worth of fuel in a few cans that cost $10 and have them secured in the bed of my truck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do you need to drive 1,280 miles....literally half way across the fucking country without ever stopping for fuel, to escape the hurricane today?  Is everyone who lives within 1000 miles of FL all fucked?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#TeamUnplugged

You know how in cartoons... this wheel is rolling behind someone running away... and they just keep running straight before getting crushed.

It's like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In the coming news, there where be countless stories of dead EV owners who could only get 300 miles away.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes but I can easily put 1000 miles worth of fuel in a few cans that cost $10 and have them secured in the bed of my truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miami is 140 miles away from Ft Myers.

Just go to Miami and hit up a few clubs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gotta hit the I believe button in emergencies
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta hit the I believe button in emergencies

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We had multiple houses burn in our area after a hurricane 2 years ago from flooded out golf carts and cars batteries.
I would imagine EVs are just as susceptible.
View Quote

Tesla Model S "swimming" - raw video

There’s quite a few instances of this.
Has the entire state of florida lost power? For the past few days?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would evacuate in the first place, but I keep 10x five gallon cans of gas on hand.

For my normal driving that would last me over a month.

Facing a hurricane is best handled like a Ambush.

Don't be there when it happens.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folks from up North or out West are welcome to join us for the “Hurricane Experience” Tour.  

Southbound traffic on I-75 & I-95 is extremely light right now, so it’s not too late to join in!  

Lodging is a bit of a challenge but hardcore survivalists aren’t afraid of roughing it!  

Those who complete the tour will be allowed to keep whatever downed stoplights, street signs, flood damaged cars, free floating boats, and more, that they encounter on the tour.  Flood damaged ammo might even be a possibility in certain areas!

Please do not attempt to feed the alligators while you’re here…we tried that a few seasons ago and our customer satisfaction surveys took a hit (incomplete surveys count against us)

Attachment Attached File

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top