Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2001 6:31:43 AM EDT
I've shot plenty on military rifle ranges and shot a lot on private land as a civilian.  I have not yet shot on a civilian rifle range and don't quite know what to expect.  Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect and what to do and not do?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
# 1 Rule - Follow the range safety officers instructions.

A good RSO will make it CLEAR what you should and should NOT be doing with his range commands.

SAFETY is the #1 concern. Use your head and be smart in your firearms handling.

My most frequent mistake at the range is handling my UNLOADED firearm while poeple are down range. (e.g. cleaning, adjusting sights)

This tends to make people nervous.

Get a "flavor" for the range. Do they frown upon rapid fire (30 rounder in less than 20 secs)???

Since you've done military ranges, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine at civilian ranges.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
know your basic safety rules and you should be good. and don't even [b]touch[/b] your guns at all when someone is downrange, even loading mags will make people nervous.

and if you use your car to drive downrange to set-up your targets, make sure you turn on your flashers, to let everyone know your shooting at targets far away enough you have to drive to them!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Hard to say, they're all different.  If a range officer is present, he usually gives cease fire/commence fire commands & co-ordinates hot/cold ranges so everyone can change targets safely.  If not, the shooters present kind of agree with each other when it's safe to go downrange & when it's safe to fire.  Almost everyone is willing to talk (usually at length) about guns & shooting (theirs & yours) but it's entirely possible someone is doing some practice or load development & doesn't want to be disturbed.

A few basics, like no glass targets & leave things set up the way you find them, etc. but you know that.  

Generally, people are friendly, but there's a few idiots amonst us that are worth avoiding.  

Best of lick,
Norm
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Most ranges have a printout of the rules. First thing you do is get them and read them.

Moving onto the range, all actions are open or the gun is in a case.

Generally not appreciated to carry CCW while on the range.

Probably a good idea to have your "ears on" before you start loading up gear to move onto the firing line.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask the RO before you pull anything out of the car.Most do things a little diffrent.Personally I dont like anybody within 5 feet of the line when someone is down range.Also do you have a firearm like a H&K or inch FAL without a bolt hold open.You may not be able to have it on the range without a plug.Once I shot at a range in Missouri that had to have a plug in all firearms when down range.I thought a little extreme untill the owner pointed out no one had ever been shot.Never would be if that rule was followed.

In plug I mean chamber flag.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
If there is a Range Master, he is in charge.  Follow his commands. Usually, you are expected to keep all weapons unloaded with actions open until he gives the okay to fire.  Typically, after a cease firing order, one does not touch a weapon or fiddle with magazines, etc.  Every range master is different.  Some are stricter than others.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Getting pelted with some hot .22 LR is nothing after you've have a piece of .223 hit the underside of your ball cap and bounce in between your safety glasses and cheek. [BD]
View Quote

Try that trick with .30-06 brass.

Its like pressing a hot clothes iron to your face for about 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
...Also do you have a firearm like a H&K or inch FAL without a bolt hold open.You may not be able to have it on the range without a plug...
View Quote

The HK 91 (or any other HK longarm) bolt is held open by pulling the charging handle back, and then rotating upward 'til it engages the notch in the cocking tube. The (metric, 'cause you did say inch) FAL has a little dogleg on the underside that works by applying upward force while dragging the bolt back.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]
1. If you touch off your .50 before the guy at the next bench gets his ears on, apologize politely.  Also loudly.
2. If the people down the line were too cheap to spring for a scope, and insist on shutting the line down every five shots so they can go look at their targets, it's okay to kill them.
3.  Do not laugh at the crew shooting 200 yard targets, at 25 yards, with Remington 700's.  They're cops.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Avoid walking out forward of the firing line 5-7 yards or so to police for brass, while the range is live and your fellow shooters are firing.  Someone did this once while I was on duty as R.O.  I turned to tell another shooter something, just for a second, turned back and there he was, nonchalantly picking up brass, cool as a cucumber.  I jumped about a foot off the ground, without using my knees.  Being an R.O., the crazy idiots I have seen, I never go hunting on public lands anymore.  NO WAY!    
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1. If you touch off your .50 before the guy at the next bench gets his ears on, apologize politely.  Also loudly.
2. If the people down the line were too cheap to spring for a scope, and insist on shutting the line down every five shots so they can go look at their targets, it's okay to kill them.
3.  Do not laugh at the crew shooting 200 yard targets, at 25 yards, with Remington 700's.  They're cops.
View Quote

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!

Also, expect to see the once a year wonders with the .50 cal necked down to .22 rimfire, with the muzzle brakes. After the muzzle blast causes you lose control of your bodily functions, its is OK to urinate on them.

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
do many ranges have restrictions on what types of weapons they allow?  I'm sure that each range is different, but is it common for them to frown upon military style firearms?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Even here in the Bay Area, at Los Altos Rod&Gun ARs are welcome and frequent.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
mAKE SURE THE MAGNET DON'T STICK TO THE PROJECTILE.Range safe ammo!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
You will get yelled at, even if you aren't doing anything wrong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Getting pelted with some hot .22 LR is nothing after you've have a piece of .223 hit the underside of your ball cap and bounce in between your safety glasses and cheek. [BD]
View Quote

That happened to me once with .45 brass, not any fun.

Another good one is to entertain the other shooters with the "hot brass between your collar and neck" dance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
You will get yelled at, even if you aren't doing anything wrong.
View Quote

Only at San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. If you're in SoCal don't go there. If you put your toe over the yellow line at cease fire they will yell at you. If you shoot more than 1 shot a sec. they will yell at you. If you even think of touching your gun at cease fire they will yell at you. If you have steel core bullets they will yell at you(although the shrubbery is 200yds up the hill, they still say it will cause a fire. You must be a really bad shot to aim at something near the ground and have the bullet hit 200yds up the hill) Bottomline they will yell at you for being there. Unless you're an old foggy like the RO's there. I hate that place. Went there 2x, that was enough. Been to many ranges and I have never been berated like I have been at this place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top