Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's your regular reminder that Snowden didn’t do what he did out of some profound sense of moral obligation.  He was mad that he didn’t get a job with the NSA and was largely embarrassed that they laughed him out of the room.  It was revenge.  

Much of what he leaked had nothing to do with domestic surveillance at all, but crucial sigint programs for foreign collection. That's what the NSA’s literal fucking mandate is.  Let's not forget the fact he was totally fine doing what he did for the previous administration.  He literally know exactly what was going on and wanted to do it himself.  He handed both Russia and China critical information that NSA collected about them, ruining sources and methods for decades at considerable expense.

He outright lied about his military service.  He lied on his resume to get the job at Booz.  He's always been a distrustful piece of shit.  The signs were there when he worked for the CIA in 2009.  A supervisor sent him back to the US and essentially fired him because he was trying to gain unauthorized access to classified information.  He tried to cheat his way into working with TAO.  I guess in a way he did the country a favor because he likely would have been a much greater danger to the IC if he succeeded in getting such a job.
View Quote

What a hero.

No wonder he’s so revered by some folks here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well it .gov said it's true then it must be, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the Russians did get Donald Trump elected

Well it .gov said it's true then it must be, right?

Which .gov is corrupt?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 He's a patriot!

A Russian patriot.
View Quote

God I hope the Snowdens a hero thing got put to bed ages ago. He’ll be in Russian uniform on TV within a year mark my words.
How did he get the access he did anyway?
Considering all the “American foreign nationals” I see go into lines at mil/other bases, I wonder how many are Chinese plants?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He achieved very little in the grand scheme of things.

View Quote

Isn't it shocking just how fucking corrupt our government is? They're exposed and nothing happens to them. They just keep doing it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know the worst thing about this?  There are people in the Federal Government doing illegal surveillance on US citizens and they were not convicted and not sitting in prison. It is more than likely still going on and has probably increased.
View Quote

You know what might be even worse than that? Having the Russians have that capability too. To spy on us, I mean, cause, like, they'd never do that to their own people, right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So is Snowden still a good guy now or is he evil. I have seen many people argue over this dude being a hero or traitor.

This should be good
View Quote

He is probably a bit of both.
I’d say more good than bad based on the officials in office back then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I think he should’ve been lauded for exposing the government’s mass violation of the 4th. That being said he had to run or face prison for life. In large part it’s because on the whole we all went… gee that sucks… what time is bachelor on? I’m willing to bet if given the opportunity to do it again he’d realize we as a country worth notifying and he’d live out his life peacefully still getting paid.

We can on one hand expect people to do the right thing and then not shield them. I know I’m not giving up my life for a bunch of ungrateful people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
To bad we don't have ways to protect whistleblowers when they expose wrong doing by our government.  So much freedom and patriotism.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people wanted Trump to pardon him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, we do.  

Unfortunately, stealing secrets and delivering them to China and then defecting to Russia is not a part of that process.
View Quote

Gosh, we must have watched two different movies.  Maybe I was taking a piss when he gave the "secrets" to china then "defected" to Russia.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alexi Joneskov and the InfoTards did.

I'm sure Paul Manfort would have recommended it on behalf of his Kremlin employer had he not gotten into trouble.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did he “report it”?
Do the right thing.  I wouldn’t COWER in Internet-fear that imaginary assassins are coming for me.

It would never occur to me that stealing military plans and delivering them to China and then defecting to Russia would somehow be a solution to the problem.  

That’s a coward’s solution.

It’s not a solution. It’s just Treason
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good. He exposed a massively illegal and unconstitutional government program that of course none of them were ever punished form. Don't even get punished for lying to congress. One of Obama's stooges wrote in his book about how they purposely stranded Snowden in Russia to hurt his credibility.

@Cincinnatus

What about this?

He achieved very little in the grand scheme of things.

As far as him being “stranded,” as you recall, he met with the Russians while he was in China.  Then he left with them.

So let's just play a little what if game.

You find something highly illegal that the .gov did. You report it but now do you turn yourself in knowing the .gov is highly corrupt?  
Did he “report it”?

You decide you are not going to be Arkancided or go to jail for exposing the illegal activity. The .gov makes it where your former home is no longer your home. What do you do? Where do you go?

Rules to this game is you are not Snowden, you are you. Simple question, answer as you may. Or cowar from the question.

Do the right thing.  I wouldn’t COWER in Internet-fear that imaginary assassins are coming for me.

It would never occur to me that stealing military plans and delivering them to China and then defecting to Russia would somehow be a solution to the problem.  

That’s a coward’s solution.

It’s not a solution. It’s just Treason

You failed. Rules stated you are NOT Snowden, you are you. Why a simple question cannot be answered without pointing at Snowden. Just answer the question asked. You are free to try again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
What difference does it make?

A poke in the eye to the current administration by a dictator that's losing the war he started.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You know what might be even worse than that? Having the Russians have that capability too. To spy on us, I mean, cause, like, they'd never do that to their own people, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the worst thing about this?  There are people in the Federal Government doing illegal surveillance on US citizens and they were not convicted and not sitting in prison. It is more than likely still going on and has probably increased.

So it's ok for the US Government to illegally spy on it's own citizens without any punishment for the offenders?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I hold the position that whatever wrongs Snowden has done were because he was radicalized by the criminal, unconstitutional, and tyranical actions of his government.  He found out some things that were just too far from the path of righteousness to tolerate.  The worst part is that nothing he did has been a deterrent to the government's disregard of the citizenry.  I fear there is no lawful way to correct the course at any rate, it is difficult to watch the nation become what it is now and likely to be soon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
gfys u hawaiian ctr pos

his knowledge is irrelevant now anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hold the position that whatever wrongs Snowden has done were because he was radicalized by the criminal, unconstitutional, and tyranical actions of his government.  He found out some things that were just too far from the path of righteousness to tolerate.  The worst part is that nothing he did has been a deterrent to the government's disregard of the citizenry.  I fear there is no lawful way to correct the course at any rate, it is difficult to watch the nation become what it is now and likely to be soon.
View Quote

Snowden is a narcissistic underachiever.  Those are the easiest people to recruit as spies...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Russia certainly agrees with you.  Providing a foreign government with valuable intelligence is what all the good guys do.
View Quote

Yeah, because staying in the US was so safe after outing the government for illegally spying on US citizens without cause.

I don’t care why he did it. He’s done less to harm us than the people he outed. Douche bag or not, he’s not the threat to us.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Snowden is a narcissistic underachiever.  Those are the easiest people to recruit as spies...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what, it isn't like he printed his own clearance, he was background investigated.  Yet another .gov failure if he was recruited and operating undetected.  Not a win for the Clapper sycophants.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Russia certainly agrees with you.  Providing a foreign government with valuable intelligence is what all the good guys do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snowden is a better man than any of his detractors.

Sucks that this was his only good option, but it was.

So if our government is doing bad things... and you work for the government... just shut up about it, because it might help Putin.

By that line of reasoning, we should all hand in our firearms since any instability caused by people fighting back might help Putin... and make you a Russian traitor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was going to mention this. The article says he "fled to Russia", but didn't the US government revoke his passport mid travel and it caused him to be stuck there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to mention this. The article says he "fled to Russia", but didn't the US government revoke his passport mid travel and it caused him to be stuck there?
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You seemed to be really upset that he told us (American Citizens) that our government was betraying our rights.  Why is that?  The only bad guy I see here is our government and those that support it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seemed to be really upset that he told us (American Citizens) that our government was betraying our rights.  Why is that?  The only bad guy I see here is our government and those that support it.
Anyone who releases information that embarasses the US Government is a TRAITOR!
Obey the government! WORSHIP The government, or you're a damned Russian!

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, you obviously know more about the many thousands of govt workers than anybody else. "They're ALL automatons that are in the 'big secret' that never leaks out." Yet, speaking the other side of your mouths that govt cannot do anything correctly and always screws up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is Snowden still a good guy now or is he evil. I have seen many people argue over this dude being a hero or traitor.

This should be good

Anyone on federal payroll absolutely hates him

Yeah, you obviously know more about the many thousands of govt workers than anybody else. "They're ALL automatons that are in the 'big secret' that never leaks out." Yet, speaking the other side of your mouths that govt cannot do anything correctly and always screws up.
I recall you begging ARFCommers to compromise on the 2nd Amendment,... for fear they were going to take all our guns if we didn't.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Snowden did a good thing. Maybe he did it for the wrong reason, I don't know his motivation.

The bigger part of the blame should lie with the government for abusing the American people and setting up something that needed to be exposed.

Why more rage for Snowden then what the government was doing ?

As far as going to Russia he didn't have much choice but to flee somewhere. I don't blame him for going to Russia but if he gave them information in exchange for being allowed to stay he is a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Putin has officially done more for American freedom than any us president aside from picking judges.
View Quote

Putin isn't doing anything for American freedom.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, our retards are asking him to voluntarily return to "face justice".

View Quote
We can trust they Feds ... they would never do anything illegal or dishonest.

Oh... wait
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This should be good

Besides, I acknowledge that a lot of Feds might not agree with the administration. Many might even sympathize with the people they arrest.

But at the end, most will ignore their conscience and do what they're told.
The majority of Fedbois would happily drown a baby in a vat of acid, if only alternative was losing their dental plan.

ETA: I take that back the "Happily" part, they might shed a tear or two afterward.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He delivered stolen secrets to Russia and then defected.

You can characterize that as him being a heroic American, or as him being a Russian spy.

Occam’s Razor says?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Proof he was a traitor all along.

Not really.

He exposed abuse of citizens from its government. Hard to call that being a traitor.

As far as Russia what choice does he have now ? I sure wouldn't want to live there, but I can understand why he would when if he goes to an extradition country he is done and going to federal prison.

He delivered stolen secrets to Russia and then defected.

You can characterize that as him being a heroic American, or as him being a Russian spy.

Occam’s Razor says?

I edited my post after considering what he may have done for them in exchange for being allowed to stay.

He may well have turned into a traitor, I don't see reason to assume he started out as one just by exposing government abuse of its citizens.

Exposing the domestic spying here was a good thing. What he did later is more questionable. But shame on the feds for forcing him into that position. If they hadn't been illegally spying on us, then nothing would have needed to be exposed and this whole thing could have been avoided.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He did.  When he gave that long interview with Glen Greenwald.

Where in the world did you get your mythical timeline?  A Russian children's book about the "Hero Snowden"?
View Quote
So in your opinion, by him whistleblowing and telling the American people how their 4th Amendment rights were being raped by the NSA/CIA... that counts as espionage. He should have kept it to himself, resigned, and never spoken to anyone about the crimes the NSA/CIA were committing against the Constitution?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please provide proof.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shhh, don’t let facts get in the way of all the boot lickers in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's your regular reminder that Snowden didn't do what he did out of some profound sense of moral obligation.  He was mad that he didn't get a job with the NSA and was largely embarrassed that they laughed him out of the room.  It was revenge.  

Much of what he leaked had nothing to do with domestic surveillance at all, but crucial sigint programs for foreign collection. That's what the NSA's literal fucking mandate is.  Let's not forget the fact he was totally fine doing what he did for the previous administration.  He literally know exactly what was going on and wanted to do it himself.  He handed both Russia and China critical information that NSA collected about them, ruining sources and methods for decades at considerable expense.

He outright lied about his military service.  He lied on his resume to get the job at Booz.  He's always been a distrustful piece of shit.  The signs were there when he worked for the CIA in 2009.  A supervisor sent him back to the US and essentially fired him because he was trying to gain unauthorized access to classified information.  He tried to cheat his way into working with TAO.  I guess in a way he did the country a favor because he likely would have been a much greater danger to the IC if he succeeded in getting such a job.
View Quote
Yes, the Feds would *NEVER* lie to us.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-09-23/fbi-beverly-hills-safe-deposit-box-raid-forfeiture-judge

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Snowden defecting to Russia, 2013. (Colorized)

Hail, Caesar! - Catching the Submarine Scene (7/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, not even close.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Snowden did a good thing. Maybe he did it for the wrong reason, I don't know his motivation.

The bigger part of the blame should lie with the government for abusing the American people and setting up something that needed to be exposed.

As far as going to Russia he didn't have much choice but to flee somewhere. I don't blame him for going to Russia but if he gave them information in exchange for being allowed to stay he is a piece of crap.
View Quote

Of course he gave Russia valuable information. Information that is being used to hurt US security. And, they will use Snowden to continue to undermine the US - namely the conservative movement which the Kremlin hates.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Actually, we do.  

Unfortunately, stealing secrets and delivering them to China and then defecting to Russia is not a part of that process.
View Quote

That defecting to Russia has been shown to be deep state propaganda.  Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Which has what to do with Snowden?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This should be good
View Quote

In the spirit of arfcom, get both. He broke major laws and whatnot doing what he did, but he brought to light a bunch of very shady government activities that the govt shouldnt have been doing in the first place. Unfortunately all that happened was the govt got some egg on its face, and he's looking at basically a death sentence in some dark hole of a federal prison.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Our government hired and promoted him, he made good money and lived in beautiful places. The government goons and their media apparatchiks have confused and spun the story so much that none of us will ever know the truth of what he actually did or didn't do. Blaming their FUps on Snowden probably covered for 100x BS that actually happened, he became a great fall guy for all the other thousands of stupid, immoral, corrupt tax sucking government employees.

How in TF would we ever know what Snowden did and what was planted to cover people's a$$es???

Who you should get mad at are the stupid "intelligence" goons who hired him and the dozens of other spies, dual citizens and Mossad agents who've never even come close to being caught. For every secret revealed to the New York Times a million more are sold to nations and corporations by our own goons.

Assange is the real martyr here, he did a great service exposing the Clintons and not even Trump helped him out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Of course he gave Russia valuable information. Information that is being used to hurt US security. And, they will use Snowden to continue to undermine the US - namely the conservative movement which the Kremlin hates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure he did. I don't think he is a good guy.  I won't blame him singularly though, the government bears as much or more responsibility for this whole mess by spying on us in the first place.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top