User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't even know you could even buy residential coal anymore. I'd have no idea who would even carry such a thing
View Quote

Some landscape supply houses and feed stores sell it around here, but there are plenty of little mom and pop places that are just a 50ft wide strip next to a road that sell firewood, coal, pellets, etc...

This is Pennsylvania though. We've still got a lot of coal underground
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It just cost me 1K to fill my oil tank. 4.99 per gallon. This is going to wreck people.

We also have a wood stove, so I'm not planning on multiple refills this season. I just didn't want to leave it empty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to suck this year. Pellets went up. Scared to call the propane company to top off the tank…

It just cost me 1K to fill my oil tank. 4.99 per gallon. This is going to wreck people.

We also have a wood stove, so I'm not planning on multiple refills this season. I just didn't want to leave it empty.

Our plan as well, leave the oil on 58 all year and if we want it warmer use the fireplace.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I didn't even know you could even buy residential coal anymore. I'd have no idea who would even carry such a thing
View Quote

It's rather abundant here because of PA. They mine it about an hour away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to finish splitting a little birch.

Also need to inspect the wood stove chimney because it moved when the roof tin hit it during the storm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Heating season is now a pic thread.

Almost done filling my woodshed, it's a bit more full today than this picture shows. Once full, I shouldn't have to run a saw all winter. Heats my house, garage, apartment above garage, sauna, and all domestic hot water off of a n outdoor wood boiler. Wood is mix of pine, tamarack, and oak. This is northern MN, October to April.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Definitely easier ways to heat, I would like to try adding coal to my boiler, it is done by some, it's just not that available around here.

Went out and cleaned the boiler and sauna chimneys today, but the sun came out, so I'll wait at least another day or two to fire up anything
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Almost done filling my woodshed, it's a bit more full today than this picture shows. Once full, I shouldn't have to run a saw all winter. Heats my house, garage, apartment above garage, sauna, and all domestic hot water off of a n outdoor wood boiler. Wood is mix of pine, tamarack, and oak. This is northern MN, October to April.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20220922_164448555_HDR_jpg-2539058.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20220922_164510976_HDR_jpg-2539059.JPG

Definitely easier ways to heat, I would like to try adding coal to my boiler, it is done by some, it's just not that available around here.

Went out and cleaned the boiler and sauna chimneys today, but the sun came out, so I'll wait at least another day or two to fire up anything
View Quote

I was going to say those are pretty big rounds for a stove until you mentioned the boiler.  Some of those things will take decent hunks of wood.

When I bought my land last year, it came with two cords of wood processed to anywhere between 28-32" for a boiler.  I had to haul it all down to where I'm renting and further process it into 16" sticks for the stove in the rental.  Pain in the ass with uneven woodpiles for the first half of the season.

*I just filled up my indoor wood storage.  Ready to go for the off and on fires of the early season.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was going to say those are pretty big rounds for a stove until you mentioned the boiler.  Some of those things will take decent hunks of wood.

When I bought my land last year, it came with two cords of wood processed to anywhere between 28-32" for a boiler.  I had to haul it all down to where I'm renting and further process it into 16" sticks for the stove in the rental.  Pain in the ass with uneven woodpiles for the first half of the season.

*I just filled up my indoor wood storage.  Ready to go for the off and on fires of the early season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20220922_164448555_HDR_jpg-2539058.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66713/IMG_20220922_164510976_HDR_jpg-2539059.JPG

I went to a my friend's place one time and there was black smoke just rolling out of his outdoor boiler.

I asked him what he threw in there and he goes "I cut up that old couch we replaced, and tossed a coon I shot in the chicken coop last night in there"
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I went to a my friend's place one time and there was black smoke just rolling out of his outdoor boiler.

I asked him what he threw in there and he goes "I cut up that old couch we replaced, and tossed a coon I shot in the chicken coop last night in there"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about normal.  Yep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Pellets are up and Diesel is still around $4.75 a gallon which means heating oil will be about the same.
We have two pellet stoves that heat most of the house, but we still use about a full tank for hot water and for the nights it is way below zero.

It's gonna be a bitch for sure !!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Localized heating for snakes.   I have real heat producing incandescent bulbs for $5 each.
View Quote

The enclosures all have their own heat sources but if the ambient in the house gets too low they only do so much.  Bulbs are also extremely inefficient, I use radiant heat panels, under-tank heat tape, and deep heat projectors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pellets are up and Diesel is still around $4.75 a gallon which means heating oil will be about the same.
We have two pellet stoves that heat most of the house, but we still use about a full tank for hot water and for the nights it is way below zero.

It's gonna be a bitch for sure !!
View Quote

Wood only went up from $260 to $280 a cord this year.  Was a surprise.

It's too late in the season to be buying anything.  I know pellet guys do it differently due to the suppliers though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My electric bill doubled this summer. No big deal, single guy, fairly well insulated home with newer 16 seer hvac and energy star rated windows that have been in since 2012.

Normally I run around $60 a month in the summer, this year $120 a month. I know folks who got hit with $500 and $600 a month bills that normally were half that.

I fully expect my nat gas heating bill to double as well.

Not a damn thing I can do to stop it either.

View Quote

You can follow President Carter’s energy saving program. During the winter you keep it at 65° during the day and 55° while you are sleeping. That will save energy.

You would be right if you said we didn’t think much of his plan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna fab a four 92mm pancake fan array (57CFM each) to pull heat out of the top louvers on the top of the firebox on our rinky dink heatilator insert. The OEM 135CFM squirrel cage pulling in cold air at the base doesn't seem to produce anything but racket.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I filled my 500 gallon propane tank and pre-bought another 500 @ $1.99 gallon.

I also picked up a quadra fire pellet stove a couple weeks ago.  Guy was sick of throwing parts at it and it still wouldn't work.  He let me have it for $200.  I did some testing and digging and figured it out.  There is a fuse soldered to the control board that was blown.  Ordered some replacements from digikey and it took off.  Fixed it for less than $2.  
 Now I have to install it in the basement and run the exhaust up and out... Which I'm NOT looking forward to.  I can't seem to find a good route and I'm not sure who to call and get a quote to do it for me.  it's a log home, so I don't want to take any chances

HVAC company?  Fireplace/chimney company?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm still playing the "open the windows at night to keep the AC from coming on as long as possible during the day" game in my place.

Going to be mid 80's here today but it got into the 40's last night.
View Quote

Same here in the mountains. Still shorts weather, and looks like it will be for a few weeks more. We had a very mild summer due to the incredible monsoon season. So an extended mild summer is very welcome.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can follow President Carter’s energy saving program. During the winter you keep it at 65° during the day and 55° while you are sleeping. That will save energy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My electric bill doubled this summer. No big deal, single guy, fairly well insulated home with newer 16 seer hvac and energy star rated windows that have been in since 2012.

Normally I run around $60 a month in the summer, this year $120 a month. I know folks who got hit with $500 and $600 a month bills that normally were half that.

I fully expect my nat gas heating bill to double as well.

Not a damn thing I can do to stop it either.

You be correct in what I think about carter. I was around in those years, it sucked, its going to suck even more in the years coming up.

I am going to keep my house as warm as I can.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Just saw that our utility is looking to increase natural gas by a hair under 50% - roughly half from transmission costs and half from the fuel cost.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, woke up and it's hot as hell in here now.

Every fall, gonna have to crack a window.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, mid 90's yesterday...

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Coal is up too. I think I was into the whole season last year for about $1600, looks like it's going to be about $2400 this year.

I feel bad for people on oil, it's gonna suck this year.

I'm really thinking about pouring a pad and making a bunker, and sending a driver right down to one of the mines to get a full load, that would last me several years and save some money up front.
View Quote

I just bought two pallets at $510 each and he said it was probably going to go up again next month.  Last year I think it was $340 a pallet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 22 ricks of seasoned oak/cherry, a full tank of propane left from last year. Should be good! I don’t plan on a fire for a week or two. I guess I can go park the tractor, 3 chain saws and wood splitter. Now I can start bringing wood up to the house in a wagon and when there is snow on the ground I can switch to a sled. Life is good!!!

Lol

Chinook3
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point.

Agree 100%
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I turned my furnace on Saturday because my Ridgeback seemed cold.  My wife's complaints about temperatures falls on deaf ears but I don't want my boy uncomfortable
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i just paid 4.3 for #2. 190 gallons.. supply is still an issue, and coming into heating season, there will be a high demand low supply, increase in pricing.

id rather burn oil than propane, cheaper per BTU. current pricing, with good efficiencies, 92% oil (my boiler), 95% propane(typical propane rating), (current local pricing) $3.95 #2, $4.1 propane, it is still $1700 CHEAPER per million BTU's to burn oil. so all this "i feel bad for oil people talk is bullshit" i feel bad for propane users and i really feel bad for people with old oil systems. but even someone with a 82% older boiler it is still cheaper by $1300 per million BTU.

the end of winter '22, this year, i had a new energy kinetic boiler installed which is 91.3% rated, direct vent with polypropylene pipe, non condensing.  (91.3% is NOT the combustion efficiency, but it is the rating of the boiler itself, how effective it transfers heat to the water, minimal heat loss even at standby etc) alot of boilers are 85-88% if installed WITH proper controls and etc. older boilers that have not been cleaned or serviced, leaking, heat exchangers rotting away and etc, your talking mid to low 70% efficiencies. using a 72% efficiency, it is still $800 cheaper per million BTU compared to a 95% propane system.

according to coalpail calculator........

also, it is $600 cheaper per million BTU for pellets at $320 per ton compared to oil at 91%.
wood at $300 per cord is $1400 cheaper than oil per million BTU (using a 78% jotul stove) but dont forget the time, saws and their maintenance, fuel, splitters etc if you "get the wood for free".
View Quote

There are 138,500 btu's per gallon of heating oil.  You just paid $ 3.95 per gallon
There are 91,450 btu's per gallon of propane.  My price today is $ 1.90 a gallon (NE USA)

Your calculations are incorrect, and at this time propane is the more cost effective way of heating compared to heating oil.

As a note: your use of the million(s) btu above makes no sense.  At your prices ($ 3.95 a gallon) above, one million btu's of energy would take 7.22 gallons of oil at a cost of $ 28.52, and you are throwing around numbers like $ 1,300.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
It got below freezing on Friday. It's currently 48 outside.

Propane is $2.20 a gallon now. FJB
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My local Tractor Supply sells both rice and nut coal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
don't know why anyone who builds doesn't insulate the hell out their houses.

Heating wise we have the electric heater going occasionally (air source heat pump) for a couple of weeks till we fire up the masonry heater.
Still making lots of solar so what little electric heat we use is essentially free.

2-3 cords/yr to heat our 2700 sq ft house.
I make my own wood, takes a weekend.
I have wood for the next 4 years split, stacked and stored under cover.

$260/cord delv'd wood here, so under $800 if I had to buy my wood.
And cuz I have a masonry heater its pretty much a once a day thing for about 1/4 hr of "work" to burn wood

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Iv got 10 tons of coal and don’t even have a coal stove.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And cuz I have a masonry heater its pretty much a once a day thing for about 1/4 hr of "work" to burn wood

View Quote

I wanted to do a masonry heater, but it would be on the first floor and I have a basement. I would need to add steel, dig and pour footers for posts.

So a normal wood stove is being installed in a week or 3.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Geo heat pump rated at 4.9 COP, electricity rate locked for next 48 months at 11c/kwh (generation).

I'm ready.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#33]
We have an electric central heat pump. Works great, was a bit pricy up front but the heating bill is about +$35 give or take a month to our electric in the winter. But the heat in the basement sucks and the floors get cold upstairs so we have a pellet stove down there. I just got 3 tons delivered a week before the price went up. Costs more to heat the basement for a season than to heat the rest of the house. Stone walls suck up heat fast, I want to get it all spray foam insulated and get rid of the pellet stove.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Heating wise we have the electric heater going occasionally (air source heat pump) for a couple of weeks till we fire up the masonry heater.
Still making lots of solar so what little electric heat we use is essentially free.

View Quote

When we reside our house I'm going to wrap it in either iso foam or mineral wool. Same with the foundation, at some point I'm going to insulate the whole thing from the inside and fur out the walls.

Our heating bill isn't too bad....but if we could reduce it by even 25% then the insulation would pay for itself quick enough.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Need to see the price of insulation here in Bush AK.
Cheaper to go get wood or burn oil.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I just scheduled an oil fill up. $4.39/gal.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have 22 ricks of seasoned oak/cherry, a full tank of propane left from last year. Should be good! I don't plan on a fire for a week or two. I guess I can go park the tractor, 3 chain saws and wood splitter. Now I can start bringing wood up to the house in a wagon and when there is snow on the ground I can switch to a sled. Life is good!!!

Lol

Chinook3
View Quote
Had to look up "rick"  Its one stack of wood.  So if the wood is 16" long then its a face cord or 1/3 of a cord.  If the wood is cut 24" long then its 1/2 of a cord.  Jeez, what a crappy way to describe how much wood you got.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Early teal duck season in TX has already come and gone. Closed yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Early teal duck season in TX has already come and gone. Closed yesterday.
View Quote

We haven't gotten an early season in several years.

It used to start the same week as bow hunting, and we would get 2 good weeks of local ducks.

Lately it's been pushed into the 3rd week of October, and if we get enough frosty nights it pushes a lot of the locals right out before you even get a shot at them.

I'm not sure if it's species management, or if the bow hunting lobby was complaining. Probably a little of both.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There are 138,500 btu's per gallon of heating oil.  You just paid $ 3.95 per gallon
There are 91,450 btu's per gallon of propane.  My price today is $ 1.90 a gallon (NE USA)

Your calculations are incorrect, and at this time propane is the more cost effective way of heating compared to heating oil.

As a note: your use of the million(s) btu above makes no sense.  At your prices ($ 3.95 a gallon) above, one million btu's of energy would take 7.22 gallons of oil at a cost of $ 28.52, and you are throwing around numbers like $ 1,300.
View Quote

i do apologize, it was 100m BTU's used on the coalpail calculator...hence the thousands. also, need to factor in efficiency ratings, what % of each gallon of oil/propane is actually converted into usable heat.. regardless, 1.9 is cheap, what is the cost of oil in your area?. and i took local oil prices and local propane prices, with a 25mile radius of my zipcode.

https://coalpail.com/fuel-comparison-calculator-home-heating
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

insulation is subject to diminishing returns:

This is especially if you want a significant number of windows. Going to an R value of 40+ on a wall doesn't make much difference when there are three windows with R value of  5 piercing them.

Good insulation is critical, but extreme insulation isn't done because it doesn't make sense with current designs and materials.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Odd. It's bulky, but doesn't weigh much. (shipping related).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to see the price of insulation here in Bush AK.
Cheaper to go get wood or burn oil.

Odd. It's bulky, but doesn't weigh much. (shipping related).

Large light things are frequently very expensive to ship as it cubes out the container quickly.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top