Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you can't buy more food when the powers out, and the stores are all closed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

you can't buy more food when the powers out, and the stores are all closed.

Quoted:

Tell me how that works when there is no electricity and all the stores are closed, bridges washed out and roads impassable because of miles long tree blowdowns?  The time to stock up is now. Then plan primary, alternate and subsequent routs to safety.

Trust me, not my first rodeo with a hurricane, or disaster preparedness in general. What I said was in reference to the remaining meat we have vacuum sealed in the chest freezer - I'm letting that shit go to waste and running an AC unit if I only have the option to hook up one appliance. The refrigerated stuff can go in the coolers on ice. I've slept with no power after storms (or during the summer because the AC quit working) enough to know I'll never willingly do it again. This is also why I stop buying stuff to stock the deep freeze by the end of May unless we manage to work through everything we've bought (only happened once in four years of owning the freezer) and run out completely - less to risk during these late-season storms that always seem to be the worst ones.

I just spent half my day off yesterday brush hogging the entire perimeter of my property for a fence install in a week or two... swear to God if this storm comes through and dumps a ton of tree debris where I did all that work I'm gonna be pissed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Same for me

But I had an advantage. We had/have a travel trailer with propane fridge. I took all perishables out of
house fridge and put in camper. I was able to run it the whole time on less than one 20 pound tank of propane.
also ran water heater on propane.

I have generators and was able to sleep in a/c and take hot showers each day. I was the best smelling person
at work each day.

A camper is very useful as long as it does not get damaged in storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in the Brandon area and we never lost power during Irma.

East edge of the center come over my house. Had no power for 5 days...

Same for me

But I had an advantage. We had/have a travel trailer with propane fridge. I took all perishables out of
house fridge and put in camper. I was able to run it the whole time on less than one 20 pound tank of propane.
also ran water heater on propane.

I have generators and was able to sleep in a/c and take hot showers each day. I was the best smelling person
at work each day.

A camper is very useful as long as it does not get damaged in storm.

I slept in the shop office at work for a few days after Irma until my home power came back on. It at least had ac and a shower.

Mom and Dad lived out their RV after Charlie. It took a month to get their power back on...

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
SLS Artemis 1 launch potentially Tuesday... the 27th...

No announcement made that I know of yet.  Will they try to launch before the storm... will they wait it out at the pad... will they roll it back to the VAB?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No announcement made that I know of yet.  Will they try to launch before the storm... will they wait it out at the pad... will they roll it back to the VAB?
View Quote
NASA is very conservative. I would think they would roll it back to the shop and hunker down.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully, this wont be a big storm. Cat 1-2 when it makes landfall.
Stay safe my fellow Floridians.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm moving the ARFCOM Yacht from Fort Lauderdale to SWFL over the weekend.  My neighbors are pissed after all the jokes about how hurricanes follow me - this one shows up 72 hours after I get back
View Quote

Haven't you always wanted to see New Orleans?

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't wait

Wife plans on flying out of TPA on Friday for 2 weeks with her cousin in Italy

Hopefully we'll lose power for another 11 days

Our local "grid" ...... (most of) the rest of the neighbors on our street are recently transplanted..... and have no Idea ....they asked why I was trimming the trees around our elec. service entrance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

11AM NOAA is suggesting it will be a Cat 3 on landfall (currently pointed just south of Tampa)..
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't wait

Our local "grid" ...... (most of) the rest of the neighbors on our street are recently transplanted..... and have no Idea ....they asked why I was trimming the trees around our elec. service entrance.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55482/street-2536262.jpg
View Quote

LOL guess how I know you never get ice storms.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

11AM NOAA is suggesting it will be a Cat 3 on landfall (currently pointed just south of Tampa)..
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092022_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/145524_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
View Quote
Looking like Ft. Myers. Each update seems to go a bit more east. Hopefully she keeps pulling further east.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Watching with interest. Been through so many tropical storms and hurricanes since 74. Only one I've missed was Hurricane Elena in 85.
Used to be a first responder for the local government working in these things.. and it sucked!
Considering, that I live in hurricane alley, it's not exactly a total shocker, at the moment, that a potential Cat 2 or Cat 3 is forecast for next week.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]
FUCK FPL
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They probably welcome the opportunity to delay again and blame the weather.

Edit: Who could have possibly foreseen a hurricane interfering with launch operations in Florida in September?!?!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I slept in the shop office at work for a few days after Irma until my home power came back on. It at least had ac and a shower.

Mom and Dad lived out their RV after Charlie. It took a month to get their power back on...

View Quote

Yeah the office building my wife’s office was at had showers at the office gym. I’d meet her there for dinner and a shower after work every day until we got power back. Also used the showers at my gym after it got power back in like a day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It definitely looks like there is a Hurricane magnet on Skyline.  

Didn't Blackfox say he was heading back to the west coast?  Looks like its aiming for Sanibel Island.  
View Quote

@7

When the storm track looked like it was hitting Sanibel (our home dock) I decided to stay in Fort Lauderdale with Skyline.  Within a few hours of that decision many models then moved the track to Fort Lauderdale  Between my house on Sanibel my house inland and my boat in Fort Lauderdale I'm pretty sure I'm screwed here either way!  The beach and ocean are incredible today, though, so I'm going for a swim....
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Well... shit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can't wait

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55482/street-2536262.jpg
View Quote

That's not grid, that's distribution.  But you're right about trimming the trees.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it time to fire up the Zello channel?!?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking like Ft. Myers. Each update seems to go a bit more east. Hopefully she keeps pulling further east.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092022_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/145524_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

Yeah, no shit.

Hate to wish that on anyone...

Irma went right over us.  I'm not very exited to experience that again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Won't know till it comes off Cuba next week, could be another Charley,  blowing up even bigger right before landfall.

Prediction models a week out are not to be trusted.

I'm up the coast in the panhandle, yeah, keep this sucker east, please.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#24]
That puts it on top of us about Friday. Great.

Edit: Or if it tracks East, It could hit me while I'm in Miami early in the week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Caribbean Storm will become Major Hurricane in the Gulf
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Forgot about all the rain we have had lately. Lakes are all high and over docks. This coming through is going to cause a good bit of flooding problems.

Jeeps might get some use in our CERT responses.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nah. The power issues in south Tampa are due to the old power lines and the “Grand” oaks growing through them that teco and the tree huggers with the city of Tampa refuse to maintain. Teco is pretty good about getting power up and running. Flooding would mainly be people along the Hillsborough and Alifia along with bayshore and downtown.

Was pretty crazy walking out to bayshore when Irma came through and seeing it suck all the water out of the bay before making land fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At some point in the next 50 years, the Tampa Bay area is going to take a solid hit from a cat 3+ storm.

When that happens, it's going to render a few hundred thousand people homeless, and probably another million or two without power for 2-4 weeks at a minimum. It's going to be another Andrew/Katrina level event, and there will be endless recriminations and finger-pointing during the inevitable hearings and lawsuits. The entire bay area is hopelessly unprepared for a major storm, and the disaster response is a joke. The lessons learned three decades ago in southern FL with Andrew were never learned by planners over on the west coast, not really.

I don't think the region will recover for at least a decade after the fact.

Nah. The power issues in south Tampa are due to the old power lines and the “Grand” oaks growing through them that teco and the tree huggers with the city of Tampa refuse to maintain. Teco is pretty good about getting power up and running. Flooding would mainly be people along the Hillsborough and Alifia along with bayshore and downtown.

Was pretty crazy walking out to bayshore when Irma came through and seeing it suck all the water out of the bay before making land fall.

Landfall in or near Pinellas County is going to cause a lot more flooding than just along the Hillsborough. Ever ask how many mobile homes there are in the Tampa Bay area...?

TECO has an excellent system, but a direct hit is still going to cause a massive amount of outages that will take weeks and weeks to repair. I knew people who went almost two weeks without power after Irma, and that wasn't a direct hit into the Bay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Should I gas up my tank?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#30]
It's not even a tropical storm yet. The media already has it bringing death and destruction to Florida in a guaranteed CAT3 monster.

They want this to happen so bad they are creaming their jeans over it.

JFC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That puts it on top of us about Friday. Great.

Edit: Or if it tracks East, It could hit me while I'm in Miami early in the week.
View Quote

yea i sure hope it keeps trending east.  i dont want that to come here
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not even a tropical storm yet. The media already has it bringing death and destruction to Florida in a guaranteed CAT3 monster.

JFC.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

JFC.
View Quote
Season has been quiet, and they want ratings.

Should give all the newbies to Florida a good scare either way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Beginning to wind up

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Cat 3 means fill up a few gas cans, stock the fridge and liquor cabinet and see who is having a hurricane party. Ny friend Jordan will post of facebook/craigslist for a hurricane honey to sit it out at his house. Me, just look out the window and watch the palms swaying and the rain coming in sideways while sipping on a rum and coke.
If I feel productive I might figure out if I can live stream it. Probably can't, Starlink has problems during heavy storms.
Hmm... Should I take my antenna down?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#36]
So I'm one of those horrible Yankee transplants, and it's looking like based off models I'll get to see the center of the eye, lol.

Knowing this shit ain't accurate yet, if it was, what should I expect? Already got an evac plan, and enough supplies to last months.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I'm one of those horrible Yankee transplants, and it's looking like based off models I'll get to see the center of the eye, lol.

Knowing this shit ain't accurate yet, if it was, what should I expect? Already got an evac plan, and enough supplies to last months.
View Quote

You’re gonna die.  Dibs on everything.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I was planning to drive down to Orlando on Wednesday for a vacation starting Thursday.  Great.  Wife gonna be pissed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Loss of power for several days... Short term flooding depending on area... As long as a tornado doesn't drop out of it on your house you'll have high winds that should not be that bad against a house built in the last 15 years (maybe lose some shingles).

Quoted:

Or that... If you're on that coast.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

JFC.
View Quote

How do patterns and history work, yo?

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry. I cannot endorse this line of thinking.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real answer:  it depends.  If you really do get hit with the eye of a Cat 3, 115MPH storm you’re going to be uncomfortable for a while. It’s hot after a hurricane passes by and the power is out for a week or more.  If you have lots of trees around, a chainsaw is a necessity.  Have some bottled water on hand, gas for your generator (you have a generator, right?) full tanks on all vehicles, a few fans, bug spray, a way to cook (charcoal or gas grill), flashlights, some food, a few loaded pmags depending on your neighbors.  It’s nice to have some sort of water for washing too.  Scrub and fill up bathtubs or have some barrels outside filled so you can wash yo ass and dishes.

You’ll be impressed with how nice the stars are when there is no power for miles around.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you live in a storm surge area or a trailer, you don't need to worry about evacuating over a Cat 3.  Bring your lawn furniture/grill inside and make plans for water and power to be out a few days (just in case).  Fill up on gas now before everyone freaks out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Look at the anti clockwise rotation to the east of the cloud cover. The roughly defined eye looks like it's already taken a NNW path big time. Fingers crossed this sucker goes east of Fla over the Bahamas and spins out over the Atlantic.

Just spent $158 on genny gas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Look at the anti clockwise rotation to the east of the cloud cover. The roughly defined eye looks like it's already taken a NNW path big time. Fingers crossed this sucker goes east of Fla over the Bahamas and spins out over the Atlantic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The latest doesn't show any Northern drift, or change in prediction.

You chose well.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/FLOATER/data/AL092022/GEOCOLOR/GOES16-AL092022-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Real answer:  it depends.  If you really do get hit with the eye of a Cat 3, 115MPH storm you’re going to be uncomfortable for a while. It’s hot after a hurricane passes by and the power is out for a week or more.  If you have lots of trees around, a chainsaw is a necessity.  Have some bottled water on hand, gas for your generator (you have a generator, right?) full tanks on all vehicles, a few fans, bug spray, a way to cook (charcoal or gas grill), flashlights, some food, a few loaded pmags depending on your neighbors.  It’s nice to have some sort of water for washing too.  Scrub and fill up bathtubs or have some barrels outside filled so you can wash yo ass and dishes.

You’ll be impressed with how nice the stars are when there is no power for miles around.
View Quote

2 gens, tons of water, food cooking ext. Looks like I'm in a surge area, so I might just have to do my evac plan. This is why I built inland lol, I just wish it was done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Won't know till it comes off Cuba next week, could be another Charley,  blowing up even bigger right before landfall.

Prediction models a week out are not to be trusted.

I'm up the coast in the panhandle, yeah, keep this sucker east, please.
View Quote

I’m with you. Stay away from the Big Bend area and away from Georgia. Wouldn’t mind a couple of inches of rain, but no wind.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JFC.

IT'S GOING TO BE 87 TIMES WORSE THAN HURRICANE CHARLIE GODDAMMITT !!!!
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top