BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make $30.00/hr
go at work 15 minutes everyday (leaving desk, the task, to washing hands back to desk)
260 days/year.
$7.50 per shit not including TP/Water/Septic.  
that is $1,950/year to shit at work
over 30 years that is $58,500
so you essentially work 29 years instead.  
That doesn't include days you go twice, holidays, raises, overtime etc...

Yes I did the math while on the john at work
View Quote

Let me guess.. You also-

Are 15 mins late to work. Leave for lunch 15 mins early, be 15 mins late coming back, and leave 15 minutes before the end of shift.

A free hour a day, 20 a month, etc..

What does that that net you in a year? Like $8K?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Damn, so many examples I can relate to. I’ll hang up paper towels to dry out too. Only once though, I have some class.
View Quote

Meh, I might use a paper towel to wipe up after making coffee in the early morning and leave it for a secondary use.  An hour later I make peanut butter toast and I will pre clean the knife used with the peanut butter before tossing the knife in the sink and the paper towel in the garbage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago I visited a family member in the hospital that was near my office and wound up eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria. It was pretty good!  Nothing fancy, but they had healthy stuff like grilled chicken breasts and veggies for pretty cheap. So I started going there a few times a week. I was always well dressed, had a work badge (that was in no way associated with the hospital), and was friendly to the cashiers. They started giving me the employee discount which was 50%.  I never asked for it, always just said thank you and have a nice day. This went on for years until they remodeled and raised their prices.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Let me guess.. You also-

Are 15 mins late to work. Leave for lunch 15 mins early, be 15 mins late coming back, and leave 15 minutes before the end of shift.

View Quote

I wish brother
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I know people that did not eat at home, they would live off of left over food from lunch meetings at work.  When I was working, there was always a lunch meeting in the refinery somewhere an the left overs were put in the coffee rooms, you could cruise around and find something every day

Also met a guy that had a Sams Club card just to go and get the $1.87 slice pizza and drink for lunch

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My mother in law dish washes sour cream containers instead of getting Tupperware
View Quote

My grandpa ate out of plastic butter tubs and would re-use plastic silverware. He was a cheapskate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Worked with a guy who told me he would hide outside the local KFC at closing time and then scavenge the dumpster toss outs.
Said they were still fresh and hot.
View Quote

My first job was at KFC. Usually the leftover chicken at closing time was re-used for pot pie meat. The wings and drums would get thrown out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll keep building materials and scrap wood for years and then finally say fuck it and throw them out.... Then I need that part the next week.....this has happened to many times
View Quote

So much this
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We called those suicide sodas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friends dad would drink all the leftover soda in the same glass. Coke, Sprite, Big Red, Ginger Ale, all in one.

Local bar does that with empty liquor bottles, drains them all into one. You can have a shot for free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in college I lived in a 4 bedroom apartment and we found out that one of the rooms down the hall somehow had basic cable. A quick trip to the hardware store for some RG6 and a splitter has us setup for the year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
A dude from that I went to IMTS with, frugal as fuck.
Work gives us a per diem, $20 per meal, cash, ahead of time. He then proceeds to live off candy from the exhibitor booths for 2 days. Does not eat a single meal with us. LOL

Then I find out that before direct deposit, work had to hound him to cash his checks. He’d apparently just let them pile up and treated them like a savings account or something.

He puts a date on the brown paper lunch bag so he can keep track of how long he can make it last.

Kind of impressive, actually. Dude lives a low overhead life, and will probably retire similarly. I’m sure his nieces and nephews will appreciate his frugality someday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My mother in law dish washes sour cream containers instead of getting Tupperware
View Quote

We do that all the time
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A dude from that I went to IMTS with, frugal as fuck.
Work gives us a per diem, $20 per meal, cash, ahead of time. He then proceeds to live off candy from the exhibitor booths for 2 days. Does not eat a single meal with us. LOL

Then I find out that before direct deposit, work had to hound him to cash his checks. He’d apparently just let them pile up and treated them like a savings account or something.

He puts a date on the brown paper lunch bag so he can keep track of how long he can make it last.

Kind of impressive, actually. Dude lives a low overhead life, and will probably retire similarly. I’m sure his nieces and nephews will appreciate his frugality someday.
View Quote

There could probably be a separate thread dedicated to creative per diem stories.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My grandma would wash out and repurpose Cool Whip containers as tupperware
View Quote

Bruh, that's totally normal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Sailboaters as a group are some of the cheapest people I’ve encountered.
You can go to most any restaurant on the waterfront of a coastal town and there will be mustard, ketchup, and sugar missing from the table. I began to notice this and asked a waitress about it at a waterfront restaurant in Oriental NC. She replied “Yep. Damn sailboaters! They come in here, steal the ketchup and toilet paper to take back to their boat.”
So if you go to a restaurant and there are no condiments on the table or no toilet paper in the restroom, there’s a real likelihood sailboaters were there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I was building wood shelf’s at my work to stock items. I asked the owner to go get me some nails. He comes back the next day with a box of used nails he ripped out of his deck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I save Walmart plastic bags for my dogs poo.
Those little green ones on the roll aren’t large enough ??
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So much this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll keep building materials and scrap wood for years and then finally say fuck it and throw them out.... Then I need that part the next week.....this has happened to many times

So much this

Yeah I do this.  I also keep leftover fasteners from projects and even used ones as long as they’re not rusted or stripped.  All separated and categorized accordingly of course.  It’s one of the few areas of my life where I’m very anal retentive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
My mother has a litany of cheap behaviors, but the worst is using one end of a q-tip, then letting it sit on the bathroom sink for a day or two until she's ready to clean her ears again using the other end.
Drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Washing aluminum foil, ziplock bags, Styrofoam to go containers to be reused
View Quote

My mother in law does that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I grew up on a farm.....I had no idea about things like regular maintenance until I got older.

I thought it was normal for something to break every single day.
View Quote

I think I grew up on the same farm.  every single day something would tear up.

at least now I know how to fix stuff.  and how to redneck engineer it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember going to my Grandma's and using the Sears catalogue in the outhouse. It was a big thing when she got indoor plumbing courtesy of my stepfather.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I take all the shampoo, conditioners, soap, etc.
from all the hotels I stay at and use that stuff at home.

One hotel I stayed at had two-ply Angel Soft TP.  I took all of it from the room, including the partial roll on the dispenser.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know, I gotta admit.  To save water here at the ranch I'll generally pee outside during the daytime  unless it's pouring rain or freezing cold.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/calvin_pissing_on_jpg-2525123.JPG
View Quote

I've never let weather stop me from pissin' outside.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I keep old newspapers and line my trash bags with them inside the trash bin to absorb “ trash juice “ and keep the bottom of the bag from being punctured .

Sometimes I use the news papers as paper towel . ESP on gross stuff that I know is gonna take several hits like if my kat throws up .

You gotta use the old school kind with non gloss paper .

Keep bacon fat to use as cooking oil .
I keep the clear plastic containers from lunch meat and reuse as Tupperware .
I have no garbage pick up and run my garbage to the local truck stop once a week . The kat n I produce about a bag a week .
I have no cable tv and watch on air tv  w antenna or dvds .
I have no internet at home . I use my ph or go to Lowes Wi-Fi in parking lot . or my GFs on the weekends .
No paid membership .

I’ve been without employment for a year and finally started to go to the locale food bank once a month .
Maybe one or 2 more I don’t want to list .

Am I in the top 10 ???
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I do a lot of the things posted in this thread but don't consider myself cheap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I do a lot of the things posted in this thread but don't consider myself cheap.
View Quote

As I noted, one can be frugal, without being cheap.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#30]
You guys talking about street signs for car floors, I know 1 guy who used a panel off a busted filing cabinet, and I actually drove an Impala with a street sign for a floor.  A marked police cruiser, in a first class township.  They patched the floor because it hadn't hit 200k miles yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've heard people will actually drive across town to save $0.03 a gallon on gas. Shit blows my mind.
View Quote

My mom does that. I've told her I'd give her a dollar to just fill up at the nearest station and not worry about it and she refuses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup! I still mix fountain drinks sometimes. A Suicide is a shot from each
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Co-worker admitted to waiting till he got to work to shit (of course AFTER he punched in) for the free water/TP.
View Quote

Admitted to it?

Literally the only reason I wouldn't poop at work is because they don't have bidets. Otherwise... duh. It's part of my routine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Admitted to it?

Literally the only reason I wouldn't poop at work is because they don't have bidets. Otherwise... duh. It's part of my routine.
View Quote

Get both.  Poop before shower then again at work after some coffee.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You guys talking about street signs for car floors, I know 1 guy who used a panel off a busted filing cabinet, and I actually drove an Impala with a street sign for a floor.  A marked police cruiser, in a first class township.  They patched the floor because it hadn't hit 200k miles yet.
View Quote

As a young kid, I remember sitting in the backseat of a sedan with about a 6"x6" uncovered hole in the floor, and seeing the blur of the cement as the car drove over it.  My dad owned his own business and made ok money but cars were disposable to him.  The memories of an 80s childhood, lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#36]
If you were going to do this one, at least use a cookie tray on top of the iron.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admitted to it?

My workplace has showers…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife spent an hour on the phone a few days ago begging her 80 something multimillionaire mother to fly up here since she's directly in the path of the coming hurricaine.

Her mother kept refusing, saying the few hundred dollars was "too expensive" and even refusing to let us pay.

Finally my wife lied and said she'd use her frequent flyer miles and we just bought a ticket for her.

It's a good investment though. My wife is going to be LOADED in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

“If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down”.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I worked with a guy who ate inmate line meals for 30 years.
'Never packed a lunch for work or went out for lunch...

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

My mother did that along with reusing aluminum foil and saving plastic bread bags.  Would stock up on bulk toiletries when they were on sale.

She truly was church mouse poor growing up, her mother died when she was 9 and father had left prior. Had literally nothing, older brothers were in the army and I think they tried to send some money back to help her and her sister who was 2 years older.  Still finished school and 1 year of college and was a great mother.

I don’t blame her, she was always afraid those times would come back.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#42]
My grandpa used J.B. Weld to fix everything!

He even J.B. Welded a piece of bailing wire on his glasses to fix the missing earpiece.

He went to buy a new truck and wrote a check for it.

The salesman freaked out the check would bounce when grandpa whipped out his J.B. Welded glasses to see to write the check.

Guess what the 10K check cleared just fine.

When he died we took the 10Kin a miracle whip jar in his closet in $100 bills and paid for his funeral and deposited the rest in the bank for grandma.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Have a friend that uses  Cabelas card for ALL his business purchases(owns his own small business) only firearms& ammo purchases are made w/ the points. Will not spend any of "His" money on them...every firearm,&all ammo is free. Also bitches excessively if Cabela's has to order item he wants or tells him they can't get it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Let me guess.. You also-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make $30.00/hr
go at work 15 minutes everyday (leaving desk, the task, to washing hands back to desk)
260 days/year.

Let me guess.. You also-

Am I going to hell for poopin at work?!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Ex friend of my group was always out of job because he's a lazy fuck among other things. Hundreds of stories about him.

A friend and I used to work 2nd shift at the same company and would stop and eat at a few different restaurants after work.

This clown would come in with no money and ask the waitress for a glass of water and lemons ...
He would squeeze the lemons into the water and add a couple of sugar packets to make lemonade.

He dated a waitress at the same restaurant for a while until she finally realized that he was a worthless  leech.
He would always hang out when the GF was working for a free meal.
Sometimes the GF would give him $20 to FO for the night.

Guys probably 60 by now, both parents are gone, I wonder how he's getting his "allowance" now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Grandmother on my dad side came to the US pre WW1 from a poor town in Czech ???? lived through the depression.

Decades later Grandfather is president of a local bank, 2 Mercedes in the driveway big house in the county.

Grandmother would go to the store and buy the deli end cuts, marked down food, day old bread.

Grandfather would be like

It's wasn't the money it was that Era that people lived through.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I fixed my old chevy cobalt exhaust with a soup can and pipe clamps
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266982/20190208_104125-897231.jpg
View Quote

I believe that is called a "souped up exhaust.."

In one summer college I was so broke I was living in my car showering at gym on campus. I couldn't afford food most days, but there were TONS of faculty lunches on various days, clubs, retirements, ect. I may have joined about 50 clubs that summer( why yes i am a member of the transsexual African American pacific islander Jewish heritage chess / lacrosse club... AND I'm also a supporter of Presbyterian lesbian republicans ) .
same summer I walked to taco bell bought a 3 dollar meal, and filled the bag up with "salsa" packets. I didn't buy salsa for a couple years I'd empty them into a stolen red squirt bottle of ketchup i stole from the dining hall.

Back in late 9'0;s or so Dad was stationed at a big NATO base in Europe. So rumor has it that an "officer has been stealing paper from the HQ", this is top secret stuff in there, like nuke response plans, or troop movements. ect so it is a big deal. The CID unit starts monitoring people going in and out of a certain part of the building. They have a video set up and watch an officer from a NATO ally walk in with an empty bag, then walk out 3 minutes later with the bag full. MP's SWOOP IN, full armed response, ect. guys are dispatched to the guys house. Due to the suspected nature of the documents NOBODY is opening the bag to check but it is STUFFED. they RIP apart the guys house, find nothing of note... Then someone with clearance to look at the documents opens the bag, dude had been stealing toilet paper, like 10 rolls at a time and selling them. Like 20 guys , a ripped apart house, I'm sure the officer was asked to retire(if not given a small windowless room), over 20 bucks worth of toilet paper.  I figure that that nation's higher echelon officers made an EASY 80k back then.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
The Chinese food containers--especially the new ones with dark plastic trays and clear lids--are just too good to throw out.  They get saved and used for Holiday/Get-together take-home foods.

The clear "cups" with lids that soup and such come in are great for freezing stuff in when we do homemade sauces/stews/soups/chilis.

Old, well-worn T-shirts (cotton) are highly prized in my garage.  Best polishing rags I've found.

I've gas welded with coat hangars before...worked well.

I save the plastic "barrels" that pretzels come in for brass...work great, and allows you to see just what you're dealing with at reloading time.

I can never throw away the extra hardware that comes with some purchases.  It all gets stored in organizers in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Reading this thread makes me feel a bit better about some of my habits and the habits of some of my relatives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make $30.00/hr
260 days/year.

Let me guess.. You also-

I didn't say that. Did you?

Make your own decisions on how management may see your performance.. Shitting or not shitting, on or off of the clock.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top