Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dryer lint is fantastic and free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dryer lint and spark is pretty amazing too.  put small amounts in food saver bags and shrink.  Stays waterproof and very light weight and fits in any pocket or bag.

I'm willing to splurge and spend the $2 for a bag of nice, clean cotton balls.

I keep some cotton balls in my firestarting kit, as well as some in the first aid kit. I also like to pack any open pill bottles with them, so the pills don't rattle around.

I also use half the bag to make char cloth with, which is another fun firestarter. Char cloth cotton balls are especially fun, as they turn into one giant ember!

Fire is fun!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dryer lint and spark is pretty amazing too.  put small amounts in food saver bags and shrink.  Stays waterproof and very light weight and fits in any pocket or bag.

my wife packs dryer lint into cardboard egg trays, then pours wax over them, break one or two off and they start a fire in the rain.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have the Tozo NC9 noise cancelling ear buds.  Hugely improved my airtravel experiences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tozo earbuds are phenomenal. I absolutely love them.

So damn cheap, actually stay in my ear, and can be wirelessly charged. I have a few pairs.

I have the Tozo NC9 noise cancelling ear buds.  Hugely improved my airtravel experiences.

Bought a set on Amazon. Killer deal and work extremely well.  Killer sound
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can we fix amazon links or just quit using them? Just use the old link style with a description because if that's all you put you can't see what's there without clicking on the link. It's quite annoying.
View Quote

Arfcom needs to monetize and track you so the site automatically turns all amazon urls into vig links.

Almost as fun as the pop up auto-play video ads for those who don’t pay or run ad-blockers.

This place has grown to suck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Arfcom needs to monetize and track you so the site automatically turns all amazon urls into vig links.

Almost as fun as the pop up auto-play video ads for those who don’t pay or run ad-blockers.

This place has grown to suck.
View Quote

^^^Lol....easily remedied.

Mini Air Bag
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thing is amazing.  I always liked the idea of a head lamp, but hated them in use.  Spot light effect, clunky, flops around etc.

This lights up everything without shadows and doesn't get in the way at all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/Capture__2022-09-11-07-47-27_png-2522035.JPG
View Quote

Several of us have been using these on our hard hats at work they are worth the money for sure
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't laugh.
Change obviously
Meds
Guitar picks
MC carb jets
Wire feed welder consumables
20 or so .22 LR rounds
Screwdriver bits
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NKVVT74?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a 50% off coupon that I'm missing?

I need something like that. Or maybe even just a ratcheting screwdriver with multiple standard bits. I'm always grabbing the real toolbox to put together kid stuff or other random stuff. Something like that would be nice to have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VMWYCU?tag=arfcom00-20

This is what I have in my office drawer for fixing kids toys and other small things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]

You have a kit for kids toys too? W
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You have a kit for kids toys too? W
View All Quotes

Not just kids toys but yes.

It's a small kit in my office so I don't have to hunt though my big tool boxes for the few small things I usually need to solve kid and wife needs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I had to cut the trim on two door frames so that it would clear the new floor I was installing.
I went to Harbor freight and bought their oscillating tool, and 2 blades.
I was out the door for about $20.
The tool worked very well, and I've used it many more times since then and am still on the blade that came with the tool!
I should have picked up another $9.99 angle grinder while I was there, too.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had to cut the trim on two door frames so that it would clear the new floor I was installing.
The tool worked very well, and I've used it many more times since then and am still on the blade that came with the tool!
View Quote

Ever since I learned about oscillating tools I keep seeing places around the house where they'd be perfect. Haven't bought one yet but I'm thinking about it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's a small kit in my office so I don't have to hunt though my big tool boxes for the few small things I usually need to solve kid and wife needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I throw one of these into my cart now and then when I order from Amazon and have accumulated a number of them to keep in my various toolboxes, game room, etc. Super handy when I need a quick fix on something.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744BTGJ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Begrudgingly subscribing to this thread knowing full well that it is going to cost me money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Begrudgingly subscribing to this thread knowing full well that it is going to cost me money.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bro you can get the cheap ones for like $9
View All Quotes

Just as good right?  The poors must stop.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ever since I learned about oscillating tools I keep seeing places around the house where they'd be perfect. Haven't bought one yet but I'm thinking about it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fair to say I have a well above average number of tools.

Bought a scratch and dent Dremel oscillating tool back in May for $60.  It isn't a tool for every job, but it is damn handy for some jobs.  Paid for itself already.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's literally just a chunk of magnesium
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bought a scratch and dent Dremel oscillating tool back in May for $60.  It isn't a tool for every job, but it is damn handy for some jobs.  Paid for itself already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked one up cheap at a pawn shop (something like $20, with a bunch of blades) and I’ve actually found I don’t use it much. It is handy for drywall.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe I have made it this far without purchasing anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I picked one up cheap at a pawn shop (something like $20, with a bunch of blades) and I’ve actually found I don’t use it much. It is handy for drywall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used it for that, but the triangle shaped sander thing is handy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On the topic of firestarters, I've had one of these for a long time. My favorite part, is that it can be used 1-handed. This, coupled with a bunch of dryer lint balls soaked in vaseline or paraffin wax, squashed into a small plastic container, makes for excellent backup fire.

In the boonies, my main firestarter is simply a UST Trekker butane lighter (OG, from the company that made them before UST bought them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGcKXmOgA8
View Quote

I'll cut up a plastic straw into various sizes, stuff cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, then heat up each end with a lighter. Makes extremely lightweight waterproof fire starters.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll cut up a plastic straw into various sizes, stuff cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, then heat up each end with a lighter. Makes extremely lightweight waterproof fire starters.
View Quote

I used cotton balls and Vaseline but the straw thing is a fantastic idea!! Thanks man
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Bumping because I hate my wallet....
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used cotton balls and Vaseline but the straw thing is a fantastic idea!! Thanks man
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Great idea!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#30]
For cleaning radiator coils in tight places.

How to Clean Tractor Radiator, Condenser & Coolers with AGCO Parts Air Comb
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For cleaning radiator coils in tight places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrxs-pM7zI
View Quote

Simple and brilliant product, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Titanium pocket scalpel

This is the most awesome thing for $20. Keep it on my keys so I don't have to use my good knife for boxes or when someone asks for a knife. Uses replaceable scalpel blades.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Titanium pocket scalpel

This is the most awesome thing for $20. Keep it on my keys so I don't have to use my good knife for boxes or when someone asks for a knife. Uses replaceable scalpel blades.
View Quote

How strong is the blade?  I feel like it would be too thin for opening boxes, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread will be expensive.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I throw one of these into my cart now and then when I order from Amazon and have accumulated a number of them to keep in my various toolboxes, game room, etc. Super handy when I need a quick fix on something.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744BTGJ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
View Quote

Harbor freight sells the exact same kit minus the screen driver
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Titanium pocket scalpel

View Quote

Sweet. But i hate locks that require you to put your finger in the path of the closing blade. Does anyone make one of these with an axis type lock?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread is a wallet buster
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Vampliers.

FINALLY - something which actually grabs rounded-off, fucked-up machine screws securely and allows their removal. Put Vise-Grips to shame.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How strong is the blade?  I feel like it would be too thin for opening boxes, etc.
View Quote
It's tape
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Added about 30 years to my lower back's lifespan with this little gadget.  Anybody who's worked with T-post fences should recognize it.  

https://media.tractorsupply.com/is/image/TractorSupplyCompany/3609536?$456$
View Quote

You Ape! That is what a FEL is for!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Vampliers.

FINALLY - something which actually grabs rounded-off, fucked-up machine screws securely and allows their removal. Put Vise-Grips to shame.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255788/Screenshot_from_2022-09-21_21-40-43-2534676.png
View Quote

When I ripped out the carpet to put down flooring I used those to pull up all the staples from the carpet pad,
1000s, they went nuts with the carpet stapler. Great tool. I'm old enough to remember when made in Japan was
like made in China now
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its about like a razor blade. Works fine for cutting the tape, but actually cutting through the cardboard is pushing it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Vampliers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255788/Screenshot_from_2022-09-21_21-40-43-2534676.png
View Quote

these work well too
Knipex TwinGrip Pliers
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Travel John portable urinal. Great for traveling in the car with young kids.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's the issue I had/have with the DMT X-Fine though. If I want to refine/polish the edge that much, I can feel the edges of the holes in that interrupted grid pattern 'catching', which is why I got their continuous surface X-Fine and XX-Fine bench stones/plates (also have one of their business card sized continuous plates in the wallet).
View Quote

Sounds like you might be using too much pressure on the stones.  The great thing about diamond abrasives is that they cut with very little pressure so I’ve never felt that “catching” from the perforated plates and they come out shaving sharp.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

these work well too
Knipex TwinGrip Pliers
View Quote

These are great
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I prefer a compact 16' tape unless I NEED something longer. This fat, little guy replaced my longtime fatmax today...

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

These are great
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

these work well too
Knipex TwinGrip Pliers

These are great

Knypex all the things
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

do pine needles burn as easily?  they seem to burn fine when the landlord burned all the brush before I moved in.   I got needles up the wazoo here and if they can be put to use other then helping people slide off the porch steps. that be great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

do pine needles burn as easily?  they seem to burn fine when the landlord burned all the brush before I moved in.   I got needles up the wazoo here and if they can be put to use other then helping people slide off the porch steps. that be great.
View Quote

Dry pine needles burn like hades. I lived in Louisiana for a while and went camping with a friend. We had a fire going, and then piled up a huge pile of dry pine needles, then dropped the whole thing on the fire. When it caught, the flames must have been 20-30' up in the air. Pine needles BURN!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top