Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 6:44:31 PM EDT
I saw a Beretta that confused me today.  I considered buying a Helwan at one point, and being that it was a copy of the 1951 Brigadier, I did a little research on both.  I understood the Brigadier/Helwan to be a 8 round mag pistol only.  

Today I saw a Beretta that was marked Beretta Brigadier with a 15rd mag.  The owner said it cost about 700.00 and was a nicer model than the 92.  I was not really impressed and doubt his statement about the quality and price. He is not the most qualified person if you get my meaning.   This gun was very, very well worn.  He said it was only 4 years old.   Did Beretta make a newer version of the Brigadier?   Or am I wrong about the capacity of the 1951?  I am considering buying a Beretta 92F, so this struck me as odd.  Am I just uninformed?  thanks for your info.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Beretta is calling their new 92 and 96's with the reinforced slide the Brigadier.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Beretta does indeed make a current model of the Brigadier. My agency issues 96D Brigadiers, double action only .40 cal. with 11 rd. mags.
I believe there is a 92 (9mm) version of the Brigadier which would use the 15 rd. 92F mags.

The current Brigadier has a much heavier slide than the regular Berettas, plus a dovetail front sight.

I believe the Border Patrol also uses Brigadiers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The 951 Brigadier/Helwan type is an 8-rd. capacity gun. I've seen 15-rd. extended mags for these, but they're hard to find now.

The new Brigadier series has a slide that is thicker in the area above the locking lugs where the barrel drops down during the firing cycle.
I believe this extra meat is intended to increase strength for those that shoot extreme amounts of higher pressure ammunition.

Check out the Beretta site, and also the Beretta Forum.com, which may be under reconstruction at this time.

The gun you saw, as well as the dealer you talked to, should be used for informational purposes only.
I'd find a gun in better condition and a more scrupulous dealer somewhere else.
If you can save $ on a new gun, spend the extra $ on half-a-dozen factory mags and some good ammo.
Good choice in a sidearm.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top