Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 5:03:16 PM EDT
My old faithful 85 Chevy Cavalier pretty much just died.  I'm still in college, so I'm going to need a good car that will last me for a while until I get all the loans and such paid off.

Anyone have a list of good, rock-solid, cars/trucks that can be had for less than say...4k?  I know its sorta low, but I'm looking for something that can be as ugly as hell but will work whenever I need it to.  Something that has a good "heft" to it, a good sized vehicle that won't be crushed like a soda can.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Full size Chevy Blazer or PU truck, '73 to '87.  If gas mileage is a concern, look for a 6.2 diesel, mine gets 18 mpg after 260,000 miles.  Durable enough?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, if you had posted this two weeks ago you could have had a black '94 Saturn sedan for $3K.

When I got my new Nissan (*cough* rice-burner) I turned it into the dealer for under $2K.

Sorry =P
Jewbron~
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Jewbroni, did you have to dump your car after you had that run-in with the drunk thug a few weeks ago?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota pick-up. You don't need anything special: 4 spd. two-wheel drive. 1989 was a hot year. Still has a carb. No "spaghetti" all over the engine for air pollution control. You can actually work on it yourself -- except you won't need to.

I have 146K on mine and it runs like the day it came off the production line. Oil comes out on the change cleaner than it went in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I also like Toyota trucks, they run forever with very little maintenance.  However, you should try to find an extra-cab, because there is not much space behind the seat.  

If you are in the PRK, perhaps you should consider buying a bicycle or taking the bus.  hehehe.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from anything Jeep. They look nice, and run o.k., but repairs cost $$$ and are frequent.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What paspecops said, the 6.2L is way underrated. It doesn't make the power of a 5.9L Cummins or Powerstroke, but it was never meant to. Even in a 1-ton truck with gears for hauling, you'll still get at least 15-18mpg empty, and 12-15mpg with it loaded as full as you can get it. I think in 1986 you could get one from the factory with a Banks turbocharger and special gauge package - that's definitely the way to go. These drive like a mildly warmed-over EFI 350 and deliver twice the fuel mileage.

If you don't want a diesel, my recommendation is an '87 or newer Chevy/GMC pickup with EFI 350. It's not likely to need repairs, and if it does troubleshooting is simple and parts are inexpensive.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top