Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My older daughter was born in 1997, is 25 this year, owns her own house and a new (2020) Toyota Rav4.

She's doing WAY better than I was at 25, that's for sure.   I'm a gen-X for what little that matters.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, they’ll get their world war and can bask in the rebuilding of the world like boomers did.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
well duh, the boomers planned it that way. who do you think has been running the gov lol.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every boomer I know didn't want a new car at 18,  was perfectly fine with a 900sqft starter house and was more than willing to earn every penny by working hard.  Not to mention no $1200 cell phones designer clothes and shoes.   They worked like dogs. Squirreled away every penny and never wasted a thing.

I'm 36. My dad 67 my grandparents would have been 90 or so. Growing up I never understood why my grandma only bought a new tv when the old one broke . And only after she saved enough to pay for it. She worked in a factory and also had a side buisness.

Never understood why my dad would take leftovers no matter what they were for lunch every day. Never bought a new car and  every tv we had was 20years older than myself. Worked hard and only bought what was needed.

Both did very well for themselves

Now I understand.  While I don't follow what they did to a T. I do work hard and earn every penny in my pocket.
I definitely watch spending when I can.  And don't go crazy thinking I needed a 2000sqft starter home in the city  and a new car every 3 years

Right now if you are can't afford to live in an area. Move and commute.I could have spend 3x more for my house to be close to work. Instead I moved to a small town. Paid pocket change for my house and   I make $8/hr more  than I could locally because I commute 30min to work.
No one wants to give up even alittle. And everyone wants a big house in a big city without the effort  

Sorry you work at McDonald's or you serve coffee and that's all you ever were willing to do,  And now can't afford a $250k house. Not my problem you made bad choices.  Right now if you want $25-38/hr. It's very easy to obtain. But you have to be willing to work hard for it

View Quote
Yep

in 91 my first 1100sq ft house was $49k, I made around $1600 a month.

Didnt get a cell phone until I was 28yrs old.

my youngest son just got a cell phone, he is 15.

And it was a hand me down, could I buy him a new one? Yes but until he has a job he gets what he gets.

except for him all my kids had a job at 16 and paid for their own car and joined the military.

I didn't give them shit, except discipline and love.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More unsupported gibberish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we could just get the millennials to stop voting for liberals, everyone would be better off.

Another huge effort of the Boomers was convincing everyone that voting was the most important thing that a citizen would ever take part in, fostering the quasi-patriotic "do your civic duty" attitude and the divisive "if you didn't vote, you can't complain" attitude into both sides, a huge accomplishment. That was because they were silently manipulating the outcomes of elections and offering the backhanded insult of manufactured sympathy known as "get 'em next time" to each side and largely succeeding. They cultivated that ignorance in people and then used it to their advantage in the same breath.

A more exploitative, self-centered and arrogant generation of people has never existed in this country before or since, and I'm sure the comments will prove that this attitude continues to this day.

More unsupported gibberish.

Another thing they did was send most of the manufacturing offshore, removing an entire segment of the economy that unskilled laborers depended on. Non-jibberish that's easily supported when you take a look at your white New Balance size 9EEEE "tenny's", your calf high Fruit of the Loom black socks and Levi's jorts. I'll leave your Corvette alone, which is mostly made in America with parts from Asia and "North America".

As for skilled labor? They left that alone as long as you weren't actually trying to get in to skilled labor. For that you'd now need a license, degree, certification or other variation of proof of competence from some self appointed, arbitrary authority organization. Not the Boomers who were grandfathered in, just everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The generation before you? As in the Silent Generation that lived through the Great Depression as children?
View Quote

You're thinking of the "Greatest Generation". They're the ones who raised the "Silent Generation" and passed on what they'd learned about getting by on very little.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Reading this thread makes me want to invest in Kleenex stock.

This is what participation trophies created.

Nobody is special, make something of yourself or sit in a gutter and drink yourself to death.

Either way nobody will lose sleep over it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're thinking of the "Greatest Generation". They're the ones who raised the "Silent Generation" and passed on what they'd learned about getting by on very little.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stop lying about official numbers and get your peers to retire.

That’s a start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

80% of all dollars ever printed happened while:

1.  Your generation was in charge.

2.  You were at your generational peak in careers when the money printing happened.

Just by that simple math, boomers had it significantly mathematically easier than any other generation.

Just admit it that you looted the country for yourselves. Especially your generation politicians.

Alright. You win. Now what?

That’s a start.

This is exactly right.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the population percentage breakdown by generation?

Won't the die off of the Boomer generation cause a huge transfer and dissolution of wealth accumulations?  For instance,  Boomer parents with $xxxxx pass and leave that money divided equally among their 2.3 children?
View Quote

That has already begun.  A few years ago they changed the rules for inherited IRA's so you have to cash them out in 10 years verses the rest of your life expectancy.  Ironically, reducing the total amount of taxes they would collect.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Starting with millennials the trend has been that the top10% is separating more and more from the average.

They are more disciplined, more educated, more artistic, have excellent elocution and are more athletic.

View Quote

You just succinctly described my sons.

The thing that gets me the most talking to them is this:

They always know the score.  They just get it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
But do they buy more?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a boomer or Gen Z.

From my observation, boomers started with less and worked hard to build wealth until retirement. Most started working way before the law allows today. Gen Z seems to be too busy with sports to work until after high school and expect 80-100k job when they get out of college. I don’t see any Gen Z having a hard time making money, buying a car or buying a house when they work hard for it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My older Gen-Z son is entering Texas A&M College of Engineering (EE) this month.  Lifetime honor student, varsity athlete and all around great kid that I don't even deserve.

He currently has a paid internship 7a-4p with major Houston energy corporation and makes almost $30 an hour doing energy surveys.  He has his commercial drone operator's license.

My boomer parents and her boomer parents are paying for the full ride.

He'll be alright.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20211205_080234_2_jpg-2490746.JPG

My younger Gen-Z son will be a millionaire, guaranteed.  Honor student, first chair orchestra nerd.  He wants to go to UT for business.

He'll be fine, too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of people playing into the left's hand, blame everyone else for your problems.

Early Gen X and worked my ass off from age 13 to be able to retire early and still still get 100k a year.

Play the fucking cards you're dealt, never settle, and continue to improve your situation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Are they being drafted by the millions to go to a southeast Asian country and die in the jungles? No?

Then I don’t think they have it “harder” than boomers.

My fathers generation who went to Vietnam had it harder. My grandparents generation who lived through the depression, wwII and Korea, had it harder.

These asshats will end up getting their college loans “forgiven”, paid for that those that didn’t.

Previous generations had to serve 4 years and risk getting shot and killed for GI  bill tuition.

Let’s keep it in perspective, shall we?

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
My oldest son owns two homes at 30yrs old.

My daughter lives in a four bedroom house in Germany, her husband is a X ray tech.

If they stay in the military they will retire in their late 30s or early 40s.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes. We're a country in collapse. That's how it works.
View Quote

Yep, as middle class jobs fled this nation, there were fewer opportunities for the younger people.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Boomers had it easy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, seeing as how the Boomer generation in the US literally had it better than anyone before or since, that’s not much of a stretch.

Having 87% of the world’s non-US industrial capacity blown to shit in a large war gave American labor a bit of an edge for few decades….
View Quote

This.

The boomers parents bought cheap real estate in California on factory wages. Boomers had it easy
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My zoomer friends are firmly financially conservative, saving and investing aggressively.

I think there will be a hard political shift to the right due to what the boomers did to the zoomers.
View Quote

The zoomer girls I know are selling butt hole pics on onlyfans and the “boys” are taking hormone blockers.

Gen X was the last cool generation
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Please don't fall for divide et impera.

Boomers had little say on exporting of jobs from our nation.  That was done by big $$$ who decided to increase their profits by reducing production expenses.  Decision was made when the boomers were too young to have say.  About the only time it became open was when Bubba did it.  Bubba also was at the helm when Glass-Stegall was repealed and the CFTC was prevented from regulating derivatives.  

Not that voting for any candidate for POTUS would have made any difference.  The candidates have been selected for us since JFK was killed.  Reagan was a bit of an outsider but Naughty Sunkist Person was truly an outsider.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The generation before you? As in the Silent Generation that lived through the Great Depression as children?

No, the parents and kids normally skip a generation.  The GG's raised the Boomers.  I am Gen X and my parents are / were silents.  Boomers had Millennials.  Gen X'ers have Zoomer kids.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Good, let the hate run through you, it only makes me stronger.

I am from the end of the boomer years. Joined the military and did 1 yr of college while in and realized that college wasn't for everyone.

Did not make the military a career, reupped once, but worked in the trades as a mechanic for 20 yrs and VFD. Decided to become a paid firefighter @ 40 and went thru the academy.

Got my home, toys, made my own retirement package for when I am done. Suck it up buttercups.

The generation after you pussies will say you had it too easy, while they sit on their asses and do nothing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another thing they did was send most of the manufacturing offshore, removing an entire segment of the economy that unskilled laborers depended on. Non-jibberish that's easily supported when you take a look at your white New Balance size 9EEEE "tenny's", your calf high Fruit of the Loom black socks and Levi's jorts. I'll leave your Corvette alone, which is mostly made in America with parts from Asia and "North America".

As for skilled labor? They left that alone as long as you weren't actually trying to get in to skilled labor. For that you'd now need a license, degree, certification or other variation of proof of competence from some self appointed, arbitrary authority organization. Not the Boomers who were grandfathered in, just everyone else.
View Quote

Nonsense

Just walk down to the local town factory,  walk on in, shake the owner's hand, and ask what you can do to help.

20 years later you can retire with a Rolex too sonny.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Well to be honest yeah we didn't have to buy a $10 grande latte two or three times a day for our self image. And we didn't have to buy a thousand dollar cell phone every year or every other year along with a monthly $150 dollar plan to have unlimited data so we could stream $15 movies every ten hours.
Most of us also didn't demand $10 an hour or we'd stay home and not work. Or demand the right to hold our cell phones in case a funny text came in and we just have to send it on to all our acquaintances while the paying customers waited as we keep looking at the screen for the kudos of our friends.  
So yeah we're just a bunch of old people who scrimped to save and invest. Kind of amazing how scrimping, saving and investing works over a period of time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't argue that the zoomers don't have it harder. My argument is with what should be done about it. If you want shit handed to you, go fuck yourself. -GenX
View Quote

So... French Revolution  style then?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I dont get why these dam kids are so mad.

View Quote

Maybe they shouldn't be buying $1000 cell phones, because houses cost $1000.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Then you’ll bitch & whine about the retirees getting their social security.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

80% of all dollars ever printed happened while:

1.  Your generation was in charge.

2.  You were at your generational peak in careers when the money printing happened.

Just by that simple math, boomers had it significantly mathematically easier than any other generation.

Just admit it that you looted the country for yourselves. Especially your generation politicians.

Alright. You win. Now what?

That’s a start.

Then you’ll bitch & whine about the retirees getting their social security.

I personally won’t.

I don’t give a single fuck about another person’s wealth.

I do give a fuck about the direction of the nation.  See my signature:

Direction, not intention, determines destination.

We’re heading the wrong direction as a country. People don’t even know what bathroom to use. Politician is now a life time job and an entirely different class of citizen.  Until politician is back to being a temporary status that you do to benefit your fellow countrymen, we’re all fucked.

Just boomers lead the fuckening.

The senates average age is 63.

The houses average age is 58.

And we have a senile old fuck that shits his pants as president.

I’ve already pointed out the average age of C suite executives is 59.

Average age of the US 38.6.

Time to stop electing old fucks that have screwed things up for themselves since the 90s.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Boomers are the softest generation is the history of humanity

Literally every generation ever has had it harder
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol I retired at 46

You can have my old job, they are still hiring.

www.goarmy.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a start.
Lol I retired at 46

www.goarmy.com

I’m already significantly wealthier than most boomers. And I could retire literally right now if I wanted to, at 37, if we’re having a contest there.

All my posts have been factual numbers. Ages. Percentages. You know, math.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Boomers have been in executive positions (C suite, President/Vice President executive levels) since the late 90s.

Everything you’re saying was created and marked to millennials and Gen Z, by boomers.

Today the average age of the C suite is 59.

In 2005 it was 44.

So literally every major marketing push has been lead by boomers. Why do people “need” $1200 cellphones? Ask the boomers. They push it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every boomer I know didn’t want a new car at 18,  was perfectly fine with a 900sqft starter house and was more than willing to earn every penny by working hard.  Not to mention no $1200 cell phones designer clothes and shoes.   They worked like dogs. Squirreled away every penny and never wasted a thing.

I’m 36. My dad 67 my grandparents would have been 90 or so. Growing up I never understood why my grandma only bought a new tv when the old one broke . And only after she saved enough to pay for it. She worked in a factory and also had a side buisness.

Never understood why my dad would take leftovers no matter what they were for lunch every day. Never bought a new car and  every tv we had was 20years older than myself. Worked hard and only bought what was needed.

Both did very well for themselves

Now I understand.  While I don’t follow what they did to a T. I do work hard and earn every penny in my pocket.
I definitely watch spending when I can.  And don’t go crazy thinking I needed a 2000sqft starter home in the city  and a new car every 3 years

Right now if you are can’t afford to live in an area. Move and commute.I could have spend 3x more for my house to be close to work. Instead I moved to a small town. Paid pocket change for my house and   I make $8/hr more  than I could locally because I commute 30min to work.
No one wants to give up even alittle. And everyone wants a big house in a big city without the effort…

Sorry you work at McDonald’s or you serve coffee and that’s all you ever were willing to do,  And now can’t afford a $250k house. Not my problem you made bad choices.  Right now if you want $25-38/hr. It’s very easy to obtain. But you have to be willing to work hard for it

Boomers have been in executive positions (C suite, President/Vice President executive levels) since the late 90s.

Everything you’re saying was created and marked to millennials and Gen Z, by boomers.

Today the average age of the C suite is 59.

In 2005 it was 44.

So literally every major marketing push has been lead by boomers. Why do people “need” $1200 cellphones? Ask the boomers. They push it all.

And the c suite does not want to leave they'll stay in those spots until they are forced out.  I've seen it too many times as a GenX boomers just refuse to GTFO and then actively work to keep comp low.   Bituching about a 3% raise while bragging about their hunting property 2 week Hawaii vacation and palatial home.  

And don't forget about the wealth concentration that has been occurring like hedge funds got to keep their carried interest tax rates while I pay 28%.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]
When they say we pass debt down to our grand children that’s what is happening.  It’s not going to get better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That has already begun.  A few years ago they changed the rules for inherited IRA's so you have to cash them out in 10 years verses the rest of your life expectancy.  Ironically, reducing the total amount of taxes they would collect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't the die off of the Boomer generation cause a huge transfer and dissolution of wealth accumulations?  For instance,  Boomer parents with $xxxxx pass and leave that money divided equally among their 2.3 children?

Quite the opposite .....most will inherit those during their prime earning years thus maximizing tax revenue.   Spread out over a lifetime the taxes would be much lower.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Boomer here…say what you will but you he generation before us had it very easy. During my 20’s (house buying time) housing prices exploded. My dad bought and built his custom ranch house on 2 acres for under $5k. His land was $200.00 that was in 1958.
My wife and I were looking at $40k houses and my dad said “wait” this crazy market will come down. 2 years later we had to spend $205k for our first house.
We did not have I easier than any other generation.
View Quote

Yes, you did.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#40]
My favorite Boomer excuse: "We were so poor we didn't have (this thing that wasn't invented yet)!!"
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They paid hundreds of dollars for microwaves and thousands for their first tandy 1000 in 80s money. Its just more typical boomer hypocrisy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorite Boomer excuse: "We were so poor we didn't have (this thing that wasn't invented yet)!!"

They paid hundreds of dollars for microwaves and thousands for their first tandy 1000 in 80s money. Its just more typical boomer hypocrisy.

“You don’t need a $1200 phone! Oh my god that Starbucks!!!!!!”

Dude. You paid $1500 in todays money for a microwave. (They were $425 on average in 1980.)

I’ve never bought a fucking microwave in my life.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quite the opposite .....most will inherit those during their prime earning years thus maximizing tax revenue.   Spread out over a lifetime the taxes would be much lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  Spread out, the amount being taxed goes up so the amount of taxes goes up as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#44]
"All we had to eat when I was growing up was corrugated cardboard, and we LIKED it!!  Kids these days have it so easy, with their actual food! Lazy bums!"
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#45]
The OP is absolutely correct.

But statistics based on total population are deceiving.  Exceptional Gen Z have the same or greater success as exceptional boomers.  Be exceptional.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol I retired at 46

www.goarmy.com
View Quote

Somebody's gotta actually create real value to keep your sweet government bennies rolling in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Boomer here…say what you will but you he generation before us had it very easy. During my 20’s (house buying time) housing prices exploded. My dad bought and built his custom ranch house on 2 acres for under $5k. His land was $200.00 that was in 1958.
My wife and I were looking at $40k houses and my dad said “wait” this crazy market will come down. 2 years later we had to spend $205k for our first house.
We did not have I easier than any other generation.
View Quote

Your BoomerGoggles are blinding you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Somebody's gotta actually create real value to keep your sweet government bennies rolling in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol I retired at 46

www.goarmy.com

Did I just witness a murder?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#49]
That’s how free sh*t works.

And taking your money off of anything of value. But really we’ve been done since 1913. It’s finally catching up to us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Boomers were the beneficiaries of the largest easiest economic expansion in the history of humanity...then when that ran dry they indebted the rest of us while simultaneously offshored all industry to the 3rd world...now expect us to host the entire world of illegals so their "social security" checks keep coming...
But ya boomers had it "hard" apparently
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top