Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She’s 23 and my baby living alone. Shots are like 200-300 each for a total of 3 shots. Wife and I will cover that. We prefer to kill and test the dog.
View Quote

Fuck that better safe and then sorry get her the shots NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Being an outlier sure would suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rabies in dogs is extremely rare at this point.

Yes it would.
Just sharing my experience having been in an altercation with an unvaccinated pit. It was never clear which dog bit in the struggle me for certain as the idiot owner had three dogs and there was mine.
But the pit (the aggressor of course) was unvaccinated and animal control didn't seem concerned about that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Start the shots....no reason to wait.  Sorry for your daughter.

Hope you find and shoot the owner.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was similar to my experience as well.

I am really kind of wondering what the norm is now after all the posts in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got bit by the neighbor's dog 7 years ago.  The doc said there has not been a case of rabies in the US from a domesticated dog in 50 years, so he does not test for rabies or have people go through the series of shots anymore.

I am really kind of wondering what the norm is now after all the posts in the thread.

Mach linked the CDC guidance for the official word.  Here’s their discussion about rates in domestic animals:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/

Sixty-three rabid dogs were reported in 2018, representing a 1.6% increase from the 62 reported in 2017. Most of the rabid dogs were reported from Texas (15), Puerto Rico (13), Georgia (7), Pennsylvania (5), Colorado (4), North Carolina (3), and Virginia (3). However, the percentage of dogs tested for rabies that were positive (0.3%) did not change compared to the mean percentage for the previous 5 years.

Basically, the chance of encountering a rabid domestic dog is the same as winning the lottery.  That said, I insisted on being vaccinated.  The ER doc told me the same thing your doc did.  Rabies risk is low from dog bites due to vaccinated dogs.  Most rabies infections are from handling wildlife.  He then made it my decision by saying, “but if you want the vaccine, then I’ll start the series on you.”  I did the mental calculation about being the outlier and really regretting the decision to cheap out with my health.  I told him to give me the shots.

ETA:
Yeah, it’s an incredibly small risk, but if your number does come up:

HUMAN EXPERIMENT-rabies in humans
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A pit bull attacked my dog and I was bit twice trying to get them apart in 2013. Owner couldn't find proof of vaccination.
I got antibiotics but no fuss over rabies. Animal control officer told me there hadn't been a single case of rabies from a dog in the county in over 20 years. They definitely steered me away from being concerned. I don't know what the norm is but after my experience I was kind of surprised to see so much concern about rabies in this thread. Sounds like rabies in dogs is extremely rare at this point.

View Quote

I sincerely doubt any doctor would agree with the medical advice provided by the county animal control officer.

Eta:  I could be wrong. Interesting. Not the approach my GP or my daughter’s pediatrician took when we got tagged a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I find it hilarious that people are all "Rabies is no big deal"  She was essentially, bitten by a feral dog.  No records, no vet care, no history at all and no carcass to test.   No difference between that dog and say, a coyote.   The fact that a shitbird feeds it does not mean it's not rabid.

Considering the results of NOT getting the shots, (which are a lot easier  than the horror stories surrounding it make you believe) Why the hell would you not get them?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Powerful breed + shit owners = terrible outcome.

No headshots, they need brain to test for rabies. At least they used to?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure about your state, but in NC the dog's owner can't just
take off. The dog has to be confined for 10 days and animal control
has to in on the action.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My dog: 65lb Black Lab.80lb Pit at dog park went after him. He just stood his ground and thankfully backed the dog down some as we separated them. Never went to another dog park because Pit owners and their dogs are scum.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
has to in on the action.
View Quote

I took his post to mean the dog ran off and is on the loose. I'm sure the authorities would confine it if they could.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope your daughter recovers well.

I was attacked when I was young and was very apprehensive about dogs for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got bit by the neighbor's dog 7 years ago.  The doc said there has not been a case of rabies in the US from a domesticated dog in 50 years, so he does not test for rabies or have people go through the series of shots anymore.
View Quote

I would find a new Doctor
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm stunned by the reported variations in treatments and costs of treatments experienced in this thread.

OP hope your daughter is ok and that the dog is found.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

About 15 years ago a friend and his helper were on a home building site and everyone there played with a dog that showed up at lunch time. A few days later his gets a call from his boss telling him and his helper to drop everything and get to the ER ASAP for rabies shots as the dog had tested positive. He said he saw several other people from different trades there for the same reason
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
has to in on the action.
View Quote

Animal control can't do shit if they can't talk to the owner before he disappears
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One got after my youngest daughter when she was 18. If she'd not been as fleet of foot as she was, it would have got her. She basically slammed the door in it's face...that is how close.

12 gage 00 buck at ten yards had him stone dead before he hit the ground. Not even a twitch.

I hope your kiddo heals fast and they find the offenders soon.
View Quote

This.  If you need to hunt it use the correct tool.  The 12ga with buckshot is the correct tool.  Federal flight control, no flyers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A pit bull attacked my dog and I was bit twice trying to get them apart in 2013. Owner couldn't find proof of vaccination.
I got antibiotics but no fuss over rabies. Animal control officer told me there hadn't been a single case of rabies from a dog in the county in over 20 years. They definitely steered me away from being concerned. I don't know what the norm is but after my experience I was kind of surprised to see so much concern about rabies in this thread. Sounds like rabies in dogs is extremely rare at this point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember when getting bit by a dog was no big deal?

Now we need sympathy threads.

Actually no.

Getting bit by a dog and having to worry about rabies has been a big deal since “pretty much forever.”

It's only in pitbulls. It's put into them so GD pitbull haters can shoot, and kill all of them, and make Rambo posts about doing it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep. From what I understand, you no longer have the belly injections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it is a lot better now than it used to be?

Yep. From what I understand, you no longer have the belly injections.

I got the rabies shots after a bat bite a couple years ago.

Big batch of shots at first, then (IIRC) 2 more shots like 2-3 weeks apart.

That may not be totally accurate, but it's close. At least for a bat bite.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My dog: 65lb Black Lab.80lb Pit at dog park went after him. He just stood his ground and thankfully backed the dog down some as we separated them. Never went to another dog park because Pit owners and their dogs are scum.
View Quote

And the only time my Rottweiler was attacked by another dog, was when a lab came into our fenced yard, and attacked. My Rott did not put a mark on the peace breed  Lab.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not here for sympathy.  Just figuring out the best piece to shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rabies in dogs is extremely rare at this point.

Yeah, that is the problem.  If it goes wrong, dead.  No chance of recovery and one of the worst deaths imaginable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Huh. One of the mysteries of life, I suppose.  
View Quote

I submit that it was Tinkerbell or one of her friends gone bad, luring poor pups to their death.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a shame.  I hope you've found other avenues to let your dog have fun amongst his kind.

The Saturday morning regulars at our park are self-policing.  They aren't afraid to let you know if your dog is a trouble maker in the bunch and you maybe shouldn't come back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Shitheads with pit bull mixes will invariably stash the dog at another shitheads house after an attack.

"Dog?  What dog.  I don't own no dog, besides it must have run away"
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Update to my post earlier. I'm not the OP, I just so happened to be bitten yesterday too.

The dog that bit me seems to be current on their rabies vax. They received the 3 year shot 11/27/19. So the dog should not be a carrier at this point. Makes me feel a little better.

That said, the dog lives 4 houses down, and I'll be checking in on them periodically to make sure the dog isn't acting funny or sick. From the people I've spoken to, it sounds like if the dog is current on their vax AND they're not sick in the next 10 days, no need to get the post exposure treatment.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I drop off heads of dogs and cats to the county for testing pretty often. Whatever the actual incidence of rabies is, it's still taken very seriously when it comes to bites from unvaccinated animals.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's not a bad series of shots.depends what bit ya to how many shots you get.

I got 21 shots for a rabid cat.

Large bolus in the hip and 10 shots alternating each arm.
Then one shot a week for 10 weeks.

Only down side is miss a shot start the series all over.

That was 2003 i hear it's not even like that anymore for the rabies series.

Glad you kid made it.

Won't be hard to find the dogs if you know the owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn.  Hope they find the dogs.  I hear the treatment is quite unpleasant.

It's not a bad series of shots.depends what bit ya to how many shots you get.

I got 21 shots for a rabid cat.

Large bolus in the hip and 10 shots alternating each arm.
Then one shot a week for 10 weeks.

Only down side is miss a shot start the series all over.

That was 2003 i hear it's not even like that anymore for the rabies series.

Glad you kid made it.

Won't be hard to find the dogs if you know the owner.

Immunoglobulin injection at the site of the bite, 6 vaccine injections, two in each arm, buttocks and thigh. For six weeks, a booster every two weeks.

Very expensive if the municipality or insurance doesn’t pick up the bill.

ETA I received them in 2013.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry this happened to your daughter, OP. Hope she has a quick recovery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a scar on my arm from a pit bull, pal.
I didn't cry about it. I didn't make a thread. I didn't hunt the dog down. I didn't whine. I didn't call the police.
Jesus fucking christ the amount of attention seekers here is extraordinary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a big deal when a Pittie chomps down on you. Or your kid.
I have a scar on my arm from a pit bull, pal.
I didn't cry about it. I didn't make a thread. I didn't hunt the dog down. I didn't whine. I didn't call the police.
Jesus fucking christ the amount of attention seekers here is extraordinary.

I can’t believe it took this long for a pibble apologist to show up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Having suffered a facial bite myself 11 years ago, to the breed of peace, I truly feel for you and your daughter Op. I hope she heals quickly. Take care of those wounds twice a day, daily until they are fully healed. Document the crap out of the healing process for the courts. Contact your attorney now.

Whenever I take my daughter for a walk I'm armed. Any dog that charges us will be met with swift and deadly force. Fuck pitbulls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This
View Quote

The treatment is no big deal at all. Its just shots. If you are afraid of shots then yeah it can be unpleasant.  What's unpleasant is the cost with no insurance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The treatment is no big deal at all. Its just shots. If you are afraid of shots then yeah it can be unpleasant.  What's unpleasant is the cost with no insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I was bitten by a bat on my hand and the immunoglobulin injection was all 2ml into my hand. They injected into several locations for full coverage.

My hand was leaking the immunoglobulin from the previous needle holes as the doctor was pumping more in.

But yeah, in essence just needles.

Also I had a couple weeks of flu like symptoms during the course of treatment, but waaaay better than the alternative.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Happy hunting OP!
Glad it wasn’t any worse.

I hope the cops find/shoot BOP but tell them to get a few shots in for you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Update to my post earlier. I'm not the OP, I just so happened to be bitten yesterday too.

The dog that bit me seems to be current on their rabies vax. They received the 3 year shot 11/27/19. So the dog should not be a carrier at this point. Makes me feel a little better.

That said, the dog lives 4 houses down, and I'll be checking in on them periodically to make sure the dog isn't acting funny or sick. From the people I've spoken to, it sounds like if the dog is current on their vax AND they're not sick in the next 10 days, no need to get the post exposure treatment.
View Quote

What? You don't want to go kill the dog with a bazooka?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Having suffered a facial bite myself 11 years ago, to the breed of peace, I truly feel for you and your daughter Op. I hope she heals quickly. Take care of those wounds twice a day, daily until they are fully healed. Document the crap out of the healing process for the courts. Contact your attorney now.

Whenever I take my daughter for a walk I'm armed. Any dog that charges us will be met with swift and deadly force. Fuck pitbulls.
View Quote

Maybe wear bite suits?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear that, glad it wasn't worse-and hope ypu find the dog and tests come back clean.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Just drive around shooting every pit bull you see. Win for everybody.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag for hopefully dead dog and no rabies shots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pit bulls make me think of Roys tiger (Seigfreid and Roy) Raised from a cub to adult by him.  Cared for, trained, they were like family.  Then one day the tiger decided to eat him.  Tiger doing what thousands of years of evolution ingrained into the DNA.

When I take my dog to the dog park almost all of the problems involve a pit bull
View Quote

That wasn't an attack. He fell on stage, and the tiger tried to "help" him. Unfortunately humans don't have a scruff like tigers do and he started leaking.

If it had been an attack his head would have come off.

ETA-Siegfried and Roy's final performance a few years after the bite, used the same tiger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife is animal control and owns a boarding facility. You do NOT want your daughter to experience the treatments from a unknown dog bite. Got to find the dog.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mach linked the CDC guidance for the official word.  Here’s their discussion about rates in domestic animals:

Sixty-three rabid dogs were reported in 2018, representing a 1.6% increase from the 62 reported in 2017. Most of the rabid dogs were reported from Texas (15), Puerto Rico (13), Georgia (7), Pennsylvania (5), Colorado (4), North Carolina (3), and Virginia (3). However, the percentage of dogs tested for rabies that were positive (0.3%) did not change compared to the mean percentage for the previous 5 years.

Basically, the chance of encountering a rabid domestic dog is the same as winning the lottery.  That said, I insisted on being vaccinated.  The ER doc told me the same thing your doc did.  Rabies risk is low from dog bites due to vaccinated dogs.  Most rabies infections are from handling wildlife.  He then made it my decision by saying, “but if you want the vaccine, then I’ll start the series on you.”  I did the mental calculation about being the outlier and really regretting the decision to cheap out with my health.  I told him to give me the shots.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5taw7ScF4LA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5taw7ScF4LA

Pre exposure rabies vaccine is the one vaccine I'd jump on if someone in my area carried it. As a hunter, I occasionally do things to animals they don't like, and there have been times where an animal I thought was dead...wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That’s my intention today after work. Or at least find out who the owner is.
View Quote

Do you hunt or have any friends that hunt? Download onX it’ll tell you the property owners mailing address and the owners/trusts name. Property owner doesn’t want to get sued for his tenants fuck ups. OnX has helped me in more ways than just hunting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
So what is the best technique for shooting a dog that has got a hold of someone you don't want to shoot? contact shot to spine?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
So did they find the dog yet? Owner? Sounds like the Owner might have taken them to someone else to take care of them if the dogs are still missing. They would have showed up by now
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, why are you doing the leg work trying to track down the dog, its owner, and the house owner?

That's what LEOs, and more importantly lawyers, get paid to do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, went back to the house to watch it and found the dogs in the fence. Called police and they called animal control. Dogs were in said fence but said they needed to get a tranquilizer gun. They left and didn't come back Watched owner come back and I called police. Police showed and had a talk with him and said animal control was on their way so it sound promising. Neighbors said they saw owner leave residents with bike and dogs. Right now police won't talk to me because they say it's in the hands of animal control Did he ride his bike to a friend and friend help him transport animals.

So, daughter will be calling animal control to see if they actually have said dog.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe wear bite suits?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe wear bite suits?

Got a couple edgelords in this one.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top