Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 went according to plan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Talking with a relative at a tier 2 supplier, labor availability at a cost that allows their company to meet desired quantity at the price point they bid per part is a huge issue.  Automakers and tier 1s would rather have less parts than raise prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the problem really is then. Chevrolet says they have 100,000 vehicles make and waiting for chips.
What is really going on?

Talking with a relative at a tier 2 supplier, labor availability at a cost that allows their company to meet desired quantity at the price point they bid per part is a huge issue.  Automakers and tier 1s would rather have less parts than raise prices.

This goes against any business practice that your post is LOL chorttle worthy.

Auto manufacturers “I know!  Let’s sell less units!”  Said nobody.  Ever.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The USA COVID-19 shutdown was only for a 4-6 weeks, it lasted 9 months, and the media, CDC, and various Dpts of Public Health was still clamoring that it wasn't safe, and recommend that the economy be locked down until it was safe, whenever that would be. And of course that really goofed up the world-wide supply chain. It will take years for the world to fix the supply chain issues, and of course there are countries that are willing to take advantage of this problem for their own self-gain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Auto manufacturers don’t want cheaper, smaller, more power efficient chips.

Why?

Don’t know.

Most auto manufacturers are retarded imo based on the simple fact they still allow dealership model to exist to everyone’s dismay.

They cite reliability, but I find this point retarded as some of the most dropped, shook, handled device is the phone and they don’t have issues.(granted the temp swings are more pronounced in autos)
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Careful the retards will dog pile you insisting you're talking about points and condensers, carburetors, drum brakes, valve lash, no AC and some other dumb shit.
View Quote

We never ran out of these. I could work on my own engine then.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's something I posted earlier this month

Link
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does seem oddly intentional
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All according to plan.

There’s nothing odd about it.      

Covid
2020 election
Replacement migration  (Southern border)
Vaccines
Vaccine “mandates”
Microchips
Fuel shortage
Supply Chain shortage
Food shortage

IT’S PART OF A PLAN

The Great Reset for

New World Order
De-population
Tyranny
Slavery

ALEX JONES WAS RIGHT!

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Tough on people looking to buy a car, but even tougher on the automotive companies & SUPPLIERs.  Us Suppliers are fucked, we aren't a  union so we can't hide behind that, and we aren't producing revenue.  If they were suppose to make 100 F150s per day, but are limited to 35 per day cause the chip shortage, then all those other vendor supplied parts aren't being used,, its a ripple effect and very unfortunate for many of us.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
2013 ford escape
2006 dodge maga cab 3500
1976 doge w100
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
We're being told safety circuit cards for the Plc's we're currently, using have a delivery date of mid 2023.
We've redesigned our machine twice now in the past 1-1/2 yrs due to supply chain issues.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We're being told safety circuit cards for the Plc's we're currently, using have a delivery date of mid 2023.
We've redesigned our machine twice now in the past 1-1/2 yrs due to supply chain issues.
View Quote

Just bypass it. What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty soon the government will mandate chips in guns.  See where this is heading??  I be onboard for a new chip-less truck in a second!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's what we get for outsourcing to CHY-NA
View Quote

IIRC, most of the chips on shortage are made in Taiwan
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Texas Instruments, Taiwan Semiconductor and GlobalFoundaries all say they have plenty of bandwidth for customer needs. There is no shortage on their end. It lies with the car companies and their inability to supply their customer. It's not a manufacturing issue.

In addition, Intel and Micron are reporting oversupply of their products and lack of demand for their chips.

I know a lot more about this on a professional level. Not a chip maker problem.
View Quote

Where did you come up with this?  All of the foundries listed have the auto chip makers on allocation across a wide range of technologies.  The foundries are making hundreds of billions worth of capacity expansion investments which they sure as hell would not do if there was “plenty” of capacity.  It is absolutely true that there is a downturn in the PC market due to the recession and subsequent pullback in PC spending which impacts Intel and Micron.  The auto market is not seeing it.  

We (auto semi) can’t make enough silicon and for some applications the shortages have no end in sight.  We are talking not being able to supply more than 50% of demand with some microcontrollers, analog, and RF.

I have done this long enough to know that eventually that excess capacity in the consumer  market will get converted to auto. However, it takes time and auto quals take years.  The only thing that is going to bail out the auto OEMs in the short term is if people stop buying cars.  With the average vehicle age now over 12 yrs, it won’t happen soon.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bull fucking shit with TI. I can't get transceiver chips from them to save my soul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texas Instruments, Taiwan Semiconductor and GlobalFoundaries all say they have plenty of bandwidth for customer needs. There is no shortage on their end. It lies with the car companies and their inability to supply their customer. It's not a manufacturing issue.

In addition, Intel and Micron are reporting oversupply of their products and lack of demand for their chips.

Bull fucking shit with TI. I can't get transceiver chips from them to save my soul.

I agree. We can’t get chips from them as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There's nothing odd about it.      

Covid
2020 election
Vaccines
Vaccine "mandates"
Microchips
Fuel shortage
Supply Chain shortage
Food shortage

IT'S PART OF A PLAN

The Great Reset for

New World Order
De-population
Tyranny
Slavery

ALEX JONES WAS RIGHT!

View Quote
what if i told you that you're already a slave?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can’t shut down production, all production from raw materials, labor, to suppliers to finished product for a year and not expect a severe demand crunch.

That demand crunch is 1 year of demand not met. Supply won’t catch up in a year or two. Many North American plants and suppliers are running weekends, every weekend in an attempt to catch up.

People have no idea the number of suppliers that are involved in building a car.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
So...If one is in the market for a used car...buy now before everything with wheels is purchased, or hold off two years?  I want a used GX460, damnit!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's kind of my point.

They only wanted the old stuff because it was cheap at the time due to being phased out. The free ride has ended and they can either make their own old ass chips or adapt to new tech like the rest of the planet. Up to them.

Frankly? Too bad. Buy old vehicles and plenty of parts if that's the route you want to go. Tech advances and auto makers are going to adapt or die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not going to get better for auto makers until they update their outdated chip design that  chip makers have no interest in producing any more.

Or - if they really want old ass tech - they can fund and set up their own fabs. By all means go right ahead.
Yeah the Auto industry is going to make it's own FAB when tech companies like NVIDIA and AMD don't have their own because it's not economical.

That's kind of my point.

They only wanted the old stuff because it was cheap at the time due to being phased out. The free ride has ended and they can either make their own old ass chips or adapt to new tech like the rest of the planet. Up to them.

Quoted:

Old tech is the only tech I want in a vehicle...

Frankly? Too bad. Buy old vehicles and plenty of parts if that's the route you want to go. Tech advances and auto makers are going to adapt or die.

Understood, and thats how the fleet rolls nowadays...

...less electronics is less stuff to fail. Ain't no reason to have a vehicle that is useless if the radio takes a shit
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#20]
We need those chips and electronics for smart guns, think how much better they would be
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Page 2 went according to plan.
View Quote

Bro, it ain't over yet...
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
We import illegal aliens at an impressive rate and the .gov just lets them go where ever they want. Imagine IF the original tooling for a '66 Chevy pickup with a three on the tree, A/C, and a straight six was sold to Mexico and they in turn gave them away to their citizens knowing full well that the demand for those truck would forever outstrip the supply. All the Mexicans would have to do would be to drive it over and sell it for $10K cash. ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  Fuck the EPA.  Build the trucks. Former Mexican citizens would be buying bus tickets home by the 1000s to make some easy cash.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So...If one is in the market for a used car...buy now before everything with wheels is purchased, or hold off two years?  I want a used GX460, damnit!
View Quote

Not gonna happen. Most of those are leases. My RX450h I’m buying off lease.

The normal coming off lease of 3 years is not gonna happen. You’re looking to buy a GX460 off 3 yr lease?

Good luck. You’ll be paying 15k over residual. Which is why people are buying out their lease. Lexus buyers aren’t stupid.

Covid and work from home really fucked up the used car and lease market.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't wonder even the tiniest bit.
View Quote

Neither do I
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
If anyone wants to read a decent perspective on the industry and what is happening this is a good read Fabs Are In Favor
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not seeing any improvement in the availability of embedded processors.

For example, back in April, Microchip was imposing a maximum purchase quantity of 500 pieces per month per customer.

Now, it's 100 pieces per month.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#27]
If you look at the things they are attributing to "The Chip Shortage" it's all ten thousand on a reel, bottom basement components. Most of them are a decade old designs.

The guys bitching about shortages really mean "We don't want to port to a newer design." That's because the old shit was nickel and dime parts and the new shit costs twenty five cents.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

For example, back in April, Microchip was imposing a maximum purchase quantity of 500 pieces per month per customer.

View Quote

Which embedded parts are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Plumbers = Alcoholics - Water runs downhill and payday is on Friday
HVAC = Hot to cold, cold to the attic
Electricians = "Who cares about the wire colors"
A/V = That'll be another $1,000 for that CAT 13 wiring you can't use"
Home Security = I'll sell you a sign for $150".
Insulation = Itchy and Scratchy on speed
Framers = Wood Butchers
Stucco = Speed and beer
Concrete = Meth
Tile = Cut twice, measure once
Flooring - See above
Trim carpenters = See above
Appliance = That scrape in the door, the smashed drywall, the rubber marks from a dolly on the carpet and the leak was already there  
You forgot
Roofers = Angel Dust and speed
Painters = Meth
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ya, I think a lot of us are convinced that the reg.s and laws can’t be changed and are really needed, a lot of safety and emissions stuff can be kept, even a lot of creature comforts, I’m not against them, just want a basic vehicle that doesn’t require a mortgage and gets me around town and is easy to repair when it does break, I think there is a market for such a vehicle
View Quote

It was called the 1994 Nissan Sentra
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually pretty good transport, too bad they don’t make ‘em any more
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove the piss out of one many years ago
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the problem really is then. Chevrolet says they have 100,000 vehicles make and waiting for chips.
What is really going on?

I didn't say it made sense.
The conversation and conclusion was certainly real enough.  The company makes injection molded plastic components.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah.  Just recently there was a story how automakers are talking about building their own semiconductor fabs.  (Hint:  It ain't gonna happen)   Because automakers are actually very, very small fish in the pond of semiconductor customers, they don't get high priority when they make small orders, and they're pissed about it.  Also, because it's a LOT of cost to switch over to a different product, their "just in time" sourcing practices mean they expect their small orders done RIGHT MEOW.

The "It ain't gonna happen" is because they don't actually realize how much a semi fab costs to make.  Or how much is involved in turning around from one part to another.  If they standardizes on fewer part numbers and were willing to make larger orders and sit on the parts for some time, their problem would 100% go away.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one used 1987 Sentra for my girlfriend (now wife) off a Nissan dealership in 1991.
It had been a rental, it had 63K when I bought it.
When it blew up it had 240K on it.
Put a rod through the block on the Coronado bridge while going to work in 1998.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Supply and demand for all semiconductors, not just the auto industry. It’s a huge demand crunch

I work in networking. A lot of gear is 9-12 month lead times. And I’m talking 500-1000k dollar routers. Access points?  12 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is really going on?

Supply and demand for all semiconductors, not just the auto industry. It’s a huge demand crunch

I work in networking. A lot of gear is 9-12 month lead times. And I’m talking 500-1000k dollar routers. Access points?  12 months.

Yep.

On the industrial side - PLCs, HMIs, etc., many manufacturers won't even tell you when they will deliver anymore. They'll accept your order but not commit to a delivery lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s not just cars its Cisco, Nokia, Ubiquiti, Juniper all the edge routers and switches I use are completely fucked.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They can't do that and still hit modern efficiency, emissions, and safety requirements.

Once again, the government is to blame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's almost like auto makers should start designing vehicles that aren't completely dependent on computers and technology.  To bad that's never been done before because everyone knows it would never work.

They can't do that and still hit modern efficiency, emissions, and safety requirements.

Once again, the government is to blame.

I think you’re wrong.

The government has no incentive to stop manufacturers from being able to produce gas powered vehicles, none…… Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#39]
It says right in the article that things are getting better, not worse.

“The good thing to know, it is easing up,” Swiss-based automotive supplier ABB CEO Bjorn Rosengren told Reuters last month. “I would not say the problems are over yet, but we have commitments for the second half which look quite good.”
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Plumbers = Alcoholics - Water runs downhill and payday is on Friday
HVAC = Hot to cold, cold to the attic
Electricians = "Who cares about the wire colors"
A/V = That'll be another $1,000 for that CAT 13 wiring you can't use"
Home Security = I'll sell you a sign for $150".
Insulation = Itchy and Scratchy on speed
Framers = Wood Butchers
Stucco = Speed and beer
Concrete = Meth
Tile = Cut twice, measure once
Flooring - See above
Trim carpenters = See above
Appliance = That scrape in the door, the smashed drywall, the rubber marks from a dolly on the carpet and the leak was already there  
You forgot
Roofers = Angel Dust and speed
Painters = Meth

View Quote

Drywallers, framers, or roofers shit in the tubs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had a huge fab excursion that affected both their Tempe and Gresham fab, 300-500 lots scrapped with certain tools being down for multiple days on two different lines.
This happened sometime in Q1.

Depending on which embedded product you are talking about, that might come from a partner fab. I know, previously, they were experiencing significant parametric fails of some of their "newer" automotive/aerospace parts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All according to plan.

What is the plan?  What is the goal?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Not just chips.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Which embedded parts are you looking for?
View Quote

Mid-range PIC micros
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Still waiting for my heated seat chip.

Winter is coming.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing odd about it.      

Covid
2020 election
Vaccines
Vaccine "mandates"
Microchips
Fuel shortage
Supply Chain shortage
Food shortage

IT'S PART OF A PLAN

The Great Reset for

New World Order
De-population
Tyranny
Slavery

ALEX JONES WAS RIGHT!

I’d say “target” is a better description.
A slave? Never.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#48]
this had better not interrupt my G-wagon order for my teenage daughter about to turn 16
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Where I work we will get a quarter million dollar truck missing a lane search camera or front radar etc. Per policy it has to sit till modules are received and installed and programmed. These are considered safety items this sounds all good and dandy but… 5 or 6 years ago they didn’t have them at all.

All the emissions on Diesel engines have been screwing the supply chain since 08 longer than the chip shortage.

Attachment Attached File

ETA, epa mandated derate or shutdown,
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm fine with going backwards on nanny and interior electronics.

Ditch EVAP and TPMS also. Imagine all the chips you can save.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top