Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 3:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2001 3:56:11 PM EDT by azexarms]
First let me say I dont pimp others' products as a rule. If it works, I use it, period. Two items have been sent to me for testing and eval. What's it called: "one man handguard tool" (no snappy name provided to me at this time) Where it's from: John Miller john1@k-inc.com What it is: a 14" long "U" shaped piece of 1/4" round steel stock. an "L" shaped piece of rubber coated steel is welded at the apex of the "U". The "rod" sections of the tool have lengths of rubber fuel line slipped over them to provide slip-free grip. What is does: Allows for one-man removal and installation of AR type handguards. How it does it: The "L" fits inside the mag well's front wall and allows you to "lever" the delta ring downward so you can remove the handguard halves with your free hand. How does it work: Very well. A bit awkward at first, I was able to remove Knights RIS type handguards, short M4 handguards, short standard types, long round types, and triangular types with relative ease. I found that even on the "flat" type delta rings I could squeeze the "rod" sections together hard enough to operate the tool and remove the handguards without difficulty. Advantages: ease of operation and you dont need a "buddy" to help you remove those tricky handguards. (If you've ever had to convince the wife to get up from an episode of Friends, or other TV pablum to help you remove handguard halves, and gotten "the look", this tool is for you) Disadvantages: weapon must have a lower on it to be used. How much is it: I dont know the MSRP at this time. Mr. Miller's first production run is reportedly nearly complete. Besides, if you've ever encountered the above situation, it'll be a good thing just to have around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:01:25 PM EDT
TNT Armory FAL "para" type rear sight. Thomas Alcorn tntarmoury@homestead.com What it is: A winged steel rear sight for FAL metric types (Inch and Israeli types are being considered, they are 4mm taller.) What it does: It does what a rear sight is supposed to do. However, this sight utilizes AR type rear sights and a "flip over" so you have a battle aperture or a precision aperture, heretofore nearly impossible on a FAL. (with the notable and EXPENSIVE exceptions of the HYTHE and Belgian para rear sight assys) How it does it: A standard AR type rear sight (current type) is pushed onto a "leaf" spring (also an AR part) and the whole thing is secured in a custom steel base by a large roll pin. Easy to disassemble for cleaning or refinishing. The underside of the "winged" sight base has the correct cuts for the "S" spring that when installed on a metric FAL with the notched rear sight screws, allows for "click" windage adjustments incrementally. A screwdriver is necessary to adjust, as on most FALs. How it looks: Very very nice. Not as smooth on the sides of the wings as I would've liked, but the one I recieved for a customer to restore his preban Argentine FAL fit perfect in the dovetail and adjusted smoothly. Since the whole base moves side to side for windage, the AR flip sight inside sits in a tight oval slot inside the sight base. How it works: Very well! Nice to have a larger aperture on a FAL rear sight. How much is it: 45.oo plus 3.50 S&H. Arrives already parkerized and ready to install. Including "S" spring but not including the "notched" rear sight screws. Advantages: selectable aperture, more protected rear sight blade than ANY FAL sight except REAL Belgian para types and other para types. UNINTENDED ADVANTAGES: The quandry of "how in the hell do we put night sights on a FAL" is now HALF beaten. Simply punch out the roll pin, insert new AR rear night sight, replace roll pin. Now if we can just get someone to make a metric front night sight for FALs. Disadvantages: none come to mind. If you read this far, thank you. D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:45:19 PM EDT
Thanks Derek, the first I can get the handguards off by myself fine. The second is of interest for sure, does it have a shroud like a DSA or NM M14 or AR?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:06:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:25:24 PM EDT
The rear sight looks just like a Belgian para or the even more rare authentic Argentine type rear sight, large steel wings on each side. I'll post a pic soon. D.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:34:47 PM EDT
bump.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:30:26 AM EDT
Do they have a website or just the email link above? Get a pic yet?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:22:28 AM EDT
Hi Derek, I took the plans that were floating around here a few months past and tweaked them a bit. The round stock I went to 5/16" to give her just a little more strength. Did not bend the round stock, just went to a 3/16" thick steel laser cut out design on the end. Had to lengthen the L shape by about 1/4" due to the tubing size was a little larger. Made about half a dozen and gave them to a few friends of mine. Only have heard good reviews. To do it by one self is a huge plus. Asking the wife when she be in the middle of something, can be a source of interesting conversation. "Where did this new rifle come from?" or "Can't you do this yourself?".... Now I Can...... I can't remember who can up with the idea. But my thanks to you.... It works well....[beer] Best regards, Dan Tucker Upstate NY
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:53:17 AM EDT
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:10:39 AM EDT
I have one of pickupdan's modified handguard tools. I put the bug into his ear to make us one. It works very well indeed! Derek, is John the guy who first posted about this on the FAL Files and here as well? If so, give him my thanks! I hope he sells a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:14:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2001 10:13:47 PM EDT by Kilowatter]
Thanks for the reveiw Derek; I'm glad you like it. So far, everyone thats tried it likes it. I"ve got an ad up on the "Build it yourself" forum if anyone is interested. Thanks. John
Top Top