Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
This is how you get robotic trains.
Robots don’t strike or complain about working conditions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm just telling you that a position where you shouldn't have to pay for the rising health care costs which are beyond the railroads control isn't going to gain sympathy from a public that has no choice but to deal with the same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s always gold in the comments to RR posts these days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/82C9F8B4-ECEE-4D6C-9539-16E4B874E29E_jpe-2453755.JPG

"We shouldn't have to pay more for our healthcare"

Funny how our out-of-pocket healthcare expenses should keep pace with actual inflation but our pay shouldn’t.

Welcome to the party pal.

You think we haven’t already been at it for years?

I'm just telling you that a position where you shouldn't have to pay for the rising health care costs which are beyond the railroads control isn't going to gain sympathy from a public that has no choice but to deal with the same thing.

I don’t think the RRs boasting about records while mistreating their employees are going to garner much sympathy, either.

I guess we’ll just have to take our chances. Not like we have much to lose at this point.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Every business wants to cut costs, raise revenue, and increase profits.  Lots of them will make dumb long-term decisions in order to have short-term stock increases.  Many businesses have long periods before new employees are functional in the job.

Other than the near monopoly (which several industries have), it's about the same.
View Quote

Most of them will only affect themselves or be limited in their affect on others.

I'm curious what industries you're referring to? The barriers to running new rail lines and starting a new Railroad are nearly insurmountable. They are in effect utilities, just not as highly regulated after the staggers act.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

New builds coming from China.
View Quote

Yep the 53' coming off ships are all brand new from china, sorta sucks to because they don't fit right on a container ship, normally coming in, in bulkers loaded athwartships (aka across the ship, not fore and aft like normal). Companies can't seem to buy and get them fast enough, sees like everyone is buying them and switching to them. At the same time the rail roads seem to want to cut back, on people and equipment. Do the big boys know something we don't aka Rail Roads are going to get there shit together... I think not with current management. They seem to drive people and customers away as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Every business wants to cut costs, raise revenue, and increase profits.  Lots of them will make dumb long-term decisions in order to have short-term stock increases.  Many businesses have long periods before new employees are functional in the job.

Other than the near monopoly (which several industries have), it's about the same.
View Quote

and how many of those industry's bad business decisions can have such a detremental effect on MOST every other industry and business in the nation?

If WidgetCo makes dumbass decisions the ripple effect is pretty tiny compared to the insdustry that delivers damn near everything you touch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh that is most certainly the end goal,   we have software that can reasonably "run" the train over pretty basic territory but on EVERY trip I'm on, the engineer has to take over because the software is going to get an 'overspeed penalty braking application"  or there is some glitch to deal with.

We ain't living in George Jetson times yet my friend and until then experienced people are needed to move this stuff over the road
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep the 53' coming off ships are all brand new from china, sorta sucks to because they don't fit right on a container ship, normally coming in, in bulkers loaded athwartships (aka across the ship, not fore and aft like normal). Companies can't seem to buy and get them fast enough, sees like everyone is buying them and switching to them. At the same time the rail roads seem to want to cut back, on people and equipment. Do the big boys know something we don't aka Rail Roads are going to get there shit together... I think not with current management. They seem to drive people and customers away as fast as they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New builds coming from China.

A large portion are replenishment stock ordered before Covid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m not TY&E but even I know it’s not that simple.  Robots are not going to change knuckles, robots are not going to read themselves through form b’s.  Robots are not going to flag across a box 1.  Robots are not going to call in a broken gate or power off light, robots are not going to sweep and hand throw a switch, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We already have a good retirement program.

Sounds like you need to step up and start contributing more.
View Quote

This has nothing to do with me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m not TY&E but even I know it’s not that simple.  Robots are not going to change knuckles, robots are not going to read themselves through form b’s.  Robots are not going to flag across a box 1.  Robots are not going to call in a broken gate or power off light, robots are not going to sweep and hand throw a switch, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fire everyone and start over with .gov employees?

Federalize?  

Could the RR industry become any more screwed up?
View Quote

fire seasoned railroaders, and replace with gov imbeciles? possibly the stupidest post on arfcom, ever.  great idea poster, let's invite the .gov to take over, and run things. they have never, absolutely ever, fucked up a single thing, they ever put under their control. logoff, and never return. please.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this game on for sure?

Will potus or someone step in and push it back a month?

If still on, what will we see in say 5 days....10 days?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We already have a good retirement program.

Sounds like you need to step up and start contributing more.

You don’t participate in SS?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. PEB formed.

Presidential Emergency Board
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope. PEB formed.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2022/07/15/executive-order-on-establishing-an-emergency-board-to-investigate-disputes-between-certain-railroads-represented-by-the-national-carriers-conference-committee-of-the-national-railway-labor-co/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. PEB formed.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2022/07/15/executive-order-on-establishing-an-emergency-board-to-investigate-disputes-between-certain-railroads-represented-by-the-national-carriers-conference-committee-of-the-national-railway-labor-co/

People who can’t hotlink don’t deserve pay raises.

Executive Order on Establishing an Emergency Board
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a giant lot of new cars/trucks that they unload off the train there and then onto trucks for delivery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
As a retired railroader of 25 years I'm betting BIG that less than a minute will go by from the time the strike starts until it gets ended by FJB signing the paperwork ordering the striking unions back to work. I was a member of the BLET for 25 years, went on strike once, and guess what happened, the strike ended in less than a minute from the phone call saying "we are on strike" until the next phone call "The strike is over". We have and have always had union leaders who will not go to jail if the membership strikes. If the membership can't strike then they have no power. No need to tell me all the details, I've heard them all my entire life as my Dad was a railroad man too. Watch and see what happens.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a retired railroader of 25 years I'm betting BIG that less than a minute will go by from the time the strike starts until it gets ended by FJB signing the paperwork ordering the striking unions back to work. I was a member of the BLET for 25 years, went on strike once, and guess what happened, the strike ended in less than a minute from the phone call saying "we are on strike" until the next phone call "The strike is over". We have and have always had union leaders who will not go to jail if the membership strikes. If the membership can't strike then they have no power. No need to tell me all the details, I've heard them all my entire life as my Dad was a railroad man too. Watch and see what happens.

View Quote

I think even if he didn't sign an order nothing happening was a possibility. The upper union leadership seems concerned about the optics of striking during a supply chain crisis. And yes I agree they're not willing to put themselves on the line at all anymore. There's been a lot of grassroots member level effort to change the current BLET leadership because of the feeling they haven't been doing enough.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the healthcare increases and no raises! I blame laziness and using my phone.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, they have captive labor, can't strike, they also have captive customers, no other real option. So they take full advantage of the protected monopolies they have and they know no mater how little they pay or how shitty they treat everyone, they will still get the work and people will have to work for them. They know it, and they take advantage of it. It's sad. I feel bad for the guys working for them, they run there employees into the ground, just like they run there equipment and infrastructure into the ground. Best wishes guys, hope you get something. Better conditions (the time off system they have is BS) and cost of living increase should be a min.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That was the Union Pacific RR really fucking up their takeover of the Southern Pacific RR.
View Quote

we were working in houston when the "merger" happened. for the next 14 months, we all got bad backs, trying to carry home the money they were throwing at us. we never made so much, moving so little, for so long. an epic, railroad operating disaster, of unimaginable experiences. we still had a days pay, for every train we patched/dog-catched, and some days, you might attempt to move 8-10 trains. no mandatory rest days, and still had 8 hour calls, so the money way there, free for the taking. all you needed to do, was be able to ignore the total lack of competent supervision, and accept the facts that you weren't actually gonna move any train, anywhere of significance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think even if he didn't sign an order nothing happening was a possibility. The upper union leadership seems concerned about the optics of striking during a supply chain crisis. And yes I agree they're not willing to put themselves on the line at all anymore. There's been a lot of grassroots member level effort to change the current BLET leadership because of the feeling they haven't been doing enough.
View Quote

I've  volunteered to be a Union officer 'stand in' and go to jail for wildcat strikes...as long as they pay me 1.5x road guarantee...  
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#23]

okay, i laughed. a lot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#24]
It'll be interesting to see who's appointed...  

But whoever it is I hope they watched the STB hearings.  

I'd pretty much prefer regular people off the street be appointed rather than "seasoned arbitrators experienced with railroad operations"

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just one more element to add to the justification for unattended and unmonitored curbside ballot boxes for mid-term elections.

View Quote

So the union members can vote left? My experience has been the opposite. It is pretty mixed, but a majority of RR's are right leaning from my experience (in right leaning states to begin with).
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So the union members can vote left? My experience has been the opposite. It is pretty mixed, but a majority of RR's are right leaning from my experience (in right leaning states to begin with).
View Quote

UP leadership is definitely Dem.

Buffet is a Dem but BN leadership is not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got the impression the discussion was about the political leanings of union railroaders,  mayhap I'm mistaken
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
BREAKING:

BNSF train derailment happened yesterday by Stanley, ND on the Glasgow sub.  Double main tracks both taken out as well as both cross over switches.

Guys I’m talking to that are there say 40+ cars on the ground.  Estimated 100 40 foot panels will need to be installed.

This is BNSF’s main priority line for shipping freight and Amtrak from Washington to Chicago

I have a feeling this will take longer than expected.. probably won’t be done and surfaced until Monday / Tuesday
View Quote

A Z train reportedly hit the dirt at 68mph. No injuries reported.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A Z train reportedly hit the dirt at 68mph. No injuries reported.
View Quote

oof...

I hit a fuel truck at 68mph once...figured I was cooked  
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I got the impression the discussion was about the political leanings of union railroaders,  mayhap I'm mistaken
View Quote

Potato potatoe. LOL
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am starting to see preferred pronouns showing up in company communications.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#33]
“National labor contract”….
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Employees can negotiate for their own salary with the company offering the standard suite of insurance, PTO, retirement, etc. benefits like most other employers do, and all without having to pay for union dues.

Serious question - even before all the COVID-related stupidity, how many workers in other industries would put up with not getting a pay raise for 2+ years before they went to a competitor or a different industry?

As an outsider looking in I'm rather gobsmacked at the shit both the union and employer have been feeding to the workers.
View Quote

I was in IT.  Had about 5 years of no raises, no bonus, staff cuts all while the CEOs would yak about record profits massive bonuses for 'leadership'.  I quit that industry and went to the railroad, where I'd have steady pay, good benefits, and an awesome retirement.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
“National labor contract”….
View Quote

pretty much

Unions can negotiate individually with individual railroads and that sometomes occurs resulting in an "on property agreement"

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

we were working in houston when the "merger" happened. for the next 14 months, we all got bad backs, trying to carry home the money they were throwing at us. we never made so much, moving so little, for so long. an epic, railroad operating disaster, of unimaginable experiences. we still had a days pay, for every train we patched/dog-catched, and some days, you might attempt to move 8-10 trains. no mandatory rest days, and still had 8 hour calls, so the money way there, free for the taking. all you needed to do, was be able to ignore the total lack of competent supervision, and accept the facts that you weren't actually gonna move any train, anywhere of significance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the Union Pacific RR really fucking up their takeover of the Southern Pacific RR.

CSX sent roadforeman down to Texas to help them run trains, my roadforeman was one of them, when he came back he told us how fucked things were, he said they would get on trains and sit...sit and when they were done sitting the next crew would do the same thing. I remember UP offering BIG money for class 1 Engineers from the other class 1 railroads to come work for them. I tried to talk the wife into it but she wasn't hearing any of it. Too bad cause I'd have cleaned up. I've had big money days on CSX but not 8-10 trains.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Let's see how Biden screws this up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BREAKING:

BNSF train derailment happened yesterday by Stanley, ND on the Glasgow sub.  Double main tracks both taken out as well as both cross over switches.

Guys I’m talking to that are there say 40+ cars on the ground.  Estimated 100 40 foot panels will need to be installed.

This is BNSF’s main priority line for shipping freight and Amtrak from Washington to Chicago

I have a feeling this will take longer than expected.. probably won’t be done and surfaced until Monday / Tuesday
View Quote

Yeah, that kept us busy in the office today.  I did hear a few panicked calls from management along the lines of 'wtf are we going to do on Monday if they all walk?!?"  Well, maybe that will help them out with signing that contract.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do I get in on the Elon Pacific Railroad IPO?  

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, that kept us busy in the office today.  I did hear a few panicked calls from management along the lines of 'wtf are we going to do on Monday if they all walk?!?"  Well, maybe that will help them out with signing that contract.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BREAKING:

This has to have been the “quietest” derailments I have seen. Nothing hit the news and the feedback we were getting from the BN was limited.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have nothing to add other than I had to spend a couple of days in the shithole of North Platte, NE a few weeks back and went to the railroad museum. The museum itself was a sad gift shop but the observation deck was cool. Giant rail yard. Giant maintenance ‘hangar’ (I don’t know the train lingo.) must have been 100 or more locomotives in the yard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131934/C8980D6A-C713-4E5D-9E33-955D8AD7E59D-2452599.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty cool but it does make me wonder what an engine in KCS liverly is doing in North Platte (far right of your image)

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Executive Order on Establishing an Emergency Board to Investigate Disputes Between Certain Railroads Represented by the National Carriers’ Conference Committee of the National Railway Labor Conference and Their Employees Represented by Certain Labor Organizations
View Quote

That's quite the word salad there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#44]
FJB establishing a PEB is just a part of the game. It is no big deal, It's a routine process when things get to this level. Railroaders should ask themselves this question, Can you name one time the carriers didn't get what they really wanted? Get the KY or Astroglide out guys as your no balls union leadership is getting ready to bend you over. Dennis Pierce is the biggest wimp of a union leader we ever had, like the rest of them at the top he has a nice salary and health care plan and has been removed far to long from the seat to remember what it's really like.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Massive disruptions to the supply chain predicted by experts

Supply chain is only going to get worse?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#47]
“There is a price that will get you enough workers. I don’t know what that price is. But everything has a price,” Martin J. Oberman says
View Quote

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/stb-chairman-says-higher-pay-would-help-solve-railroad-crew-shortages/?fbclid=IwAR3-l7B72GQEKVm0XniYkj_hfyGeyG-w2j_URVrtF_bfj-eyGN5QVk0JinU
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#48]

1. Railroads would be prohibited from raising prices during service emergencies under a legislative package introduced this week meant to address the delays and high costs that have dragged down shipper operations for months.

2. The measure, introduced last Tuesday by House leaders in areas such as agriculture and transportation, requires rail contracts to include service delivery standards and would greatly expand the power of the Surface Transportation Board to regulate railroads when the agency declares a service emergency.

3. The bill also allows shippers who own or lease their own railcars to assess fines on railroads when there are service delays. “This bill will level the playing field and provide railroad customers—many of which are transporting key food and energy products—the service they deserve,” said co-sponsor Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR)
View Quote

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/freight-rail-shipping-bill-service-emergencies-stb-congress/628926/?fbclid=IwAR1lM1QuBDcK4oEISRpc4Ooup7r3Tjav0JjSOXWhp6mjKgMIxv_2s9-QZOg

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#49]
One industry in this country should not be able to fuck damn near every other industry to tears...  Whether or not you realize it, I GUARANTEE you that if you are a business owner, employee, or just a consumer, this nonsense has cost you money.

During the 1970s, the railroad industry as a whole was struggling. Some thought nationalization was imminent, and rail service was generally in the toilet.
Fifty years later, after Staggers, huge mergers, massive technology and physical plant investments, big new or remodeled headquarters buildings, strong financial performance, and PSR, rail service has returned to the toilet. Recognition of this by shippers and the federal government resulted in Surface Transportation Board hearings on April 26-27, entitled “STB Hearing on Urgent Issues in Freight Rail Service.” Regulators, shippers, and railroads gathered for these two days to listen to shippers tell horror stories about how poor rail service had cost them millions of dollars.
View Quote

https://www.rtands.com/freight/class-1/opinion-weve-come-full-circle/?fbclid=IwAR0qECSVDMXhdRxzqK_gheZOYXBMyFcdFUrtj_5V6PWffXTTf8bfg6yP_78
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top