Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 38
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be fair, his is a perspective from an industry professional. It's like how all the nuke plant containing movies irritate me, while the general audience is entertained.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

To be fair, his is a perspective from an industry professional. It's like how all the nuke plant containing movies irritate me, while the general audience is entertained.

Professional what?  Movie critic?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any transgendered or lesbian pilots?
View Quote

All pilots are transgendered lesbians. You should know that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

not at alll the enemy is unnamed (just like the first one).  I can't think of anything oustide the patch change on his jacket
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
How woke is it? Are the Chinese sensibilities respected?

not at alll the enemy is unnamed (just like the first one).  I can't think of anything oustide the patch change on his jacket

That patch was not changed, at least not in the theater I was in. Japan and Taiwan were properly represented.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

For some reason I thought he was a pilot...,
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A massive disappointment.

Even more so given that they had good meat and potatoes to work with.  Great cast, great cinematography, and some really nice opportunities to call back to the first movie. It had all the parts to make a massively good movie.

That being said, it was just an incoherent mess of a ridiculous story, hokey dialogue and character interactions, stupid and inaccurate tactical scenario, and ridiculous flying scenes.  Jennifer Connelly is a massive MILF, but there was just zero chemistry (in addition to not even being able to re-tell the 'going ballistic with an Admiral's daughter' story correctly).  The entire first Darkstar portion of the story was totally out of place and a waste of time and money that would have been better spent giving us some background on the pilots and WSOs who were getting called in for the mission.

"We're all the best...who are they going to get to teach us?"  GMAFB.

I really wanted to like this one, but even with the huge grains of salt in knowing that it was entertainment and not a documentary, it was still an enormous fail.

View Quote

Odd, after that scathing review, I fully expected to see an underscore in your name.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, did anyone find it odd we don’t know who the enemy is, past, they are ‘the enemy’.

The country is never named.  One can only guess Iran, but it’s never fleshed out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, did anyone find it odd we don’t know who the enemy is, past, they are ‘the enemy’.

The country is never named.  One can only guess Iran, but it’s never fleshed out.
View Quote

Top Gun 1986 was the same….
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Odd, after that scathing review, I fully expected to see an underscore in your name.
View Quote

I guess I'm not familiar enough with GD inside baseball to understand what that means -- some kind of insult?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Top Gun 1986 was the same….
View Quote

The enterprise was in the Indian Ocean during that one so I can only guess Iran. But the OG script had North Korea as the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Professional blimp folder.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm generally against giving any of my $$$ to Hollyweird, but everything I'd heard said there was no woke bullshit and that turned out to be correct. Tom Cruise is a moonbat, but he seems not to have bought into the woke shit, and he makes some damn entertaining films. Maybe if non-woke movies make zillions of dollars while the ones pushing "the agenda" don't, they'll stop with all the woke wankery. I won't hold my breath...

Anyway, it was at least on par with the original. Yes there was some cringy dialogue (just like the original) and if you know anything about military aviation, the whole setup of their mission and other inaccuracies are going to grate a little (just like the original) but you just need to suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How was the volleyball?
View Quote
Sweaty and slightly woke
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glad to hear this.

The previews weren't exactly confidence inspiring.
View Quote

The Applebee's product placement in the commercials seemed to be excessive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you especially like the part where every segment was represented?  

That's my favorite and I think the most believable part.  Certainly not the 50 year old fighter pilot.
View Quote

That was extremely realistic.

In today's Navy, if an Admiral was tasked with picking a team for a heroic mission into enemy territory, what could be more important than making sure the aviators are as diverse as possible?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Good flick. Very well done, just the right amount of cheesy scenes and lots of great flying sequences. Must see for any red blooded American.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Got my tickets for the family. Can't wait
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Sitting here now waiting for the movie to start
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That was extremely realistic.

In today's Navy, if an Admiral was tasked with picking a team for a heroic mission into enemy territory, what could be more important than making sure the aviators are as diverse as possible?
View Quote

In reality the Air Wing on that carrier would provide the pilots to fly it. Interesting the way the movie did it seemed to be similar to how the SEALs planned the Bin Laden raid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw it last night at Imax.  Very good.  Some woke parts but not too bad (had to have their diversity quota).  Jennifer Connelly looks anorexic.  The final attack scene reminded me of star wars.  I use to bullseye womp rats with my
T-16's back home and they aren't much bigger than two meters.  The flying parts were awesome in Imax to be sure.  8.5 rating.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I heard that Harold Faltermeyer did the music for the movie, just like the first one.
View Quote
Music was actually done by hans zimmer and lady gaga.  It was really well done!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any further offers or requests for how to illegally stream this will get you a 30 day account lock.
View Quote

“Sorry, Goose, but it’s time to buzz the tower.” – Maverick

Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone (Official Video - Top Gun)

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any further offers or requests for how to illegally stream this will get you a 30 day account lock.
View Quote

Jester's dead
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I can’t get past the fact that, 35 years later, Mav would be a retired O-6 or O-7 living in San Diego and selling shit to the Navy as a corporate rep.

Ruins it for me.

TC
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Biggest thing that bothered me was gooses son..... His dad died 36 years ago and he was around 5 in the movie.  So he should be 41 bit it portrayed like he is 25
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don’t know about great.  He’s has a few character plays.

Talk to me Goose, Tom
I’m pissed, determined and going to kill you, Tom
The fate has brought me here and I can do it, Tom
I recognize my life to this point has been a lie, now that I see this I am going to over come the plot challenge, Tom
(the above 4 are very close to each other, but are uniquely different it you look at his movies)
The Risky Business, look how cute I am and my smile, Tom
Ok, I’m vulnerable and need help, Tom
I have too, but I don’t do them well love scene, Tom

That’s about all his range. He’s made billions doing it over and over…so great I guess.  But he’s no Daniel Day Lewis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's always like that with Tom Cruise because he's fucking weird.  Whenever he is on camera, he's acting.  If you've watched the videos where he talks about Scientology, you get a glimpse into how completely odd the dude is.

His last wife was chosen and groomed by the church of Scientology, for fuck's sake.  His on-screen romances never seem natural and I strongly suspect it's because he's a psychopath and incapable of real human emotion.

Dude's a great actor but something in his brain is broken.

I don’t know about great.  He’s has a few character plays.

Talk to me Goose, Tom
I’m pissed, determined and going to kill you, Tom
The fate has brought me here and I can do it, Tom
I recognize my life to this point has been a lie, now that I see this I am going to over come the plot challenge, Tom
(the above 4 are very close to each other, but are uniquely different it you look at his movies)
The Risky Business, look how cute I am and my smile, Tom
Ok, I’m vulnerable and need help, Tom
I have too, but I don’t do them well love scene, Tom

That’s about all his range. He’s made billions doing it over and over…so great I guess.  But he’s no Daniel Day Lewis.

He isn’t really an actor, he is a movie star.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Biggest thing that bothered me was gooses son..... His dad died 36 years ago and he was around 5 in the movie.  So he should be 41 bit it portrayed like he is 25
View Quote

They never specified this was present day did they?  They also never specified the enemy 5th gen fighter was an SU-57 (entered service in 2019 I believe).  With as much other reality you have to suspend on this one, its not out of the realm to say the movie is set in 2012ish
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Miles Teller is 35 so it's fairly appropriate. Also remember this movie was mostly filmed 3-4 years ago.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

To the spoiler... he's been flying for around 40 years with multiple combat deployments and has no family, lives in an old hangar.  He could have saved up a few million in that scenario.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw it at the afternoon matinee for $4.  It was silly at times, but that's what I came prepared for.  

Final mission reminded me of some of those DCS challenges placed on Youtube by the Grim Reapers.  Visuals make up for it.  I was expecting to see an intense light and sound show and it didn't disappoint.

Loads of nostalgia and items that hearken back tot he first film, and the airplane pron is great.

Click To View Spoiler

To the spoiler... he's been flying for around 40 years with multiple combat deployments and has no family, lives in an old hangar.  He could have saved up a few million in that scenario.

Also good likelihood he was stationed on either coast as a young pilot. If he bought his house in the 80s, it could be worth millions now. If he was smart enough to buy some rental property back then for pennies, he could have an empire.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Saw...it...last...night. ...The...flight...scenes...were...incredible. ...The...F18...Super...Hornet...was...the...star...of...the...movie. ...Highly...recommend...for...all...as...the...bride...loved...it.
View Quote

On what planet is it okay to use ellipses like this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Boom

The Drinker Recommends... Top Gun: Maverick
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#33]
The hype this movie is getting is unreal.
TURN AND BURN | BE A MAVERICK

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Going to see it tomorrow night with my daughters i am looking forward to it
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The hype this movie is getting is unreal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96B1eJFAlo

View Quote

The hype is valid
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can’t get past the fact that, 35 years later, Mav would be a retired O-6 or O-7 living in San Diego and selling shit to the Navy as a corporate rep.

Ruins it for me.

TC
View Quote

That is brought up on some of the movie trailers, so it's no spoiler.  The Rear Admiral that is way to old to be an admiral is telling the captain who is too old to be a captain he should be 3 star admiral or a senator by now.  Funny thing is when his character is handed a receipt, he squints and has to move the paper back and forth until he could focus (like most folks int heir 50's do.)  Wouldn't that imply his vision is not up to snuff to be a super secret test pilot?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is brought up on some of the movie trailers, so it's no spoiler.  The Rear Admiral that is way to old to be an admiral is telling the captain who is too old to be a captain he should be 3 star admiral or a senator by now.  Funny thing is when his character is handed a receipt, he squints and has to move the paper back and forth until he could focus (like most folks int heir 50's do.)  Wouldn't that imply his vision is not up to snuff to be a super secret test pilot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruins it for me.

TC

Spoiler Alert:

It's a movie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Even more so given that they had good meat and potatoes to work with.  Great cast, great cinematography, and some really nice opportunities to call back to the first movie. It had all the parts to make a massively good movie.

That being said, it was just an incoherent mess of a ridiculous story, hokey dialogue and character interactions, stupid and inaccurate tactical scenario, and ridiculous flying scenes.  Jennifer Connelly is a massive MILF, but there was just zero chemistry (in addition to not even being able to re-tell the 'going ballistic with an Admiral's daughter' story correctly).  The entire first Darkstar portion of the story was totally out of place and a waste of time and money that would have been better spent giving us some background on the pilots and WSOs who were getting called in for the mission.

I really wanted to like this one, but even with the huge grains of salt in knowing that it was entertainment and not a documentary, it was still an enormous fail.

View Quote

Mods should you give you a 30 day timeout from this thread, and life. Boo on you sir...
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boo this review.  It's a movie.  It pays a lot of homage to the original (which was also unrealistic). Just enjoy it for the entertainment factor.  It was great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Chi-com propaganda.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://tenor.com/view/fuck-loading-idontviveafuck-gif-5354006.gif

Never saw the first one, won't be seeing this one....and yes, I thought Heat was a great movie too.
View Quote
Wow you're cool. lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mods should you give you a 30 day timeout from this thread, and life. Boo on you sir...
View Quote

There are plenty of glowing comments from "I play DCS, so I'm practically a fighter pilot" in both this and the other thread extolling its high realism and great storytelling, if that's what you want to read.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are plenty of glowing comments from "I play DCS, so I'm practically a fighter pilot" in both this and the other thread extolling its high realism and great storytelling, if that's what you want to read.
View Quote

You’re just mad there’s not an Iron Eagle remake in the works. I’d watch that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Movie was fantastic. Better than the original. They work they did to film the actors reacting to real flight maneuvers comes through spectacularly. Perfect amount for nostalgia and 80's cheese with all the greatness of modern acting and cinematography.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Fire Captain with 22 years on the job and run one of the busiest engine Co's in my state. I don't trash the shit out of Back Draft because it unrealistically portrays my line of work, it's a movie FFS. You need to edit your shitty review and be a little more American, if only for todays premier!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
How much are you guys paying for it at the movies?

Was thinking of renting it through Redbox this weekend
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if you’re joking or not but this is the type of movie that needs to be watched in a theater.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not sure if you’re joking or not but this is the type of movie that needs to be watched in a theater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. See it on the big screen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#49]
The movie was pretty good. Effects were awesome. My 13yo daughter was covering her face. You must see this one on the big screen. Script was surprisingly good.

ETA: $5.75 early bird this morning.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Theater exclusive for at least the next few months. Then digital release. Then physical media release.

$9 for Cinemark XD screen.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top