BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Back to my question. What good does a well intentioned guy who's letting his emotions get the best of him going to do by going and becoming a dead citizen.
I get it that people want to "do something" in these scenarios. But almost all of the recommendations  in these threads aren't going to work.
You cant drive an SUV down a school hallway to get at the classroom door. You aren't going to batter a wall down with a sledgehammer. And so on and so on.
People are throwing a bunch of stuff out there that they think would work. Good for them. But its not going to work, and they'd get themselves killed for nothing to show for it
View Quote

Does nobody think outside the box??

You don't  have to get the SUV inside the building if the classroom is on an exterior wall.

And... YES, you can batter down a wall with a sledge. My guys have trained on it. We can make a man sized opening in a couple minutes. If my memory serves me correctly they did exactly that to extract those trapped in the bathrooms at Pulse night club.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Being a school classroom door, it was probably the cheapest shit they could find
View Quote

Nope, try a metal or solid wood door in a metal frame, set in cinderblock or brick with the door frame reinforced  to resist bending with crowbars and the like..  Just about every school upgraded to that standard years ago. Fed money was easy to get.  The door may even have had a drop brace on the room side.  

There are only two ways thru those doors. Mechanical breaching (the fire dept gear already mentioned) or explosive breaching with a water charge. Shotgun breaching is not done with regular ammo since there are people inside and the 5.56 is worthless for breaching.

The police at Sandy Hook, Santa Fe and iirc, Parkland had exactly the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm trying to hold my outrage until accurate information is released but the Uvalde PD is doing themselves no favors by letting this issue swirl around full of conflicting "facts."
View Quote
This is a huge problem.  When they allow multiple stories to swirl.  And the current "OFFICIAL" story is different that "those on the inside here" are reporting, that smells of bullshit.

I don't know the real story.  I am hoping to know sometime soon.  What I have seen does not look good.  But fact are hard to come by so far.

There is a good chance they have just started interviewing those officers tonight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I typed in some capital letters and hurt your feels.  Sorry.  I am not angry.  You are simply wrong.

You have no concept of how these things work, IT APPEARS.  Maybe you are holding back, or maybe you are just trolling.  But with what you have said, you don't have the slightest clue.

Its a very fluid situation.  There are multiple teams that go inside.  Fire, in my city, is dispatched and responds WITH police.  We do not work with kill teams, but can give them access to tools.  We do work in the RTF teams, stopping the bleed and extracting.

There is a lot more but why waste the time explaining.  You are already not grasping the simplest of what could go on.
View Quote

Think what you want.  Your solution is absurd.

I really have no reason to explain my credentials to you.

Enjoy your rant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How about the cuffed lady who slipped them, jumped the fence, went into the school and got both of her kids out........while the police watched. edit WSJ interview
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Patton would rather that the other guy die. What does you dying accomplish except creating another victim
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would rather die than do nothing.

Patton would rather that the other guy die. What does you dying accomplish except creating another victim

If the doors on our classrooms are any indication I could get it open for the police and possibly not die. Why not try?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about the cuffed lady who slipped them, jumped the fence, went into the school and got both of her kids out........while the police watched.
View Quote
She apparently had breaching tools and experience that police could never possess. Oh and most importantly she wasn't a coward.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope, try a metal or solid wood door in a metal frame, set in cinderblock or brick with the door frame reinforced  to resist bending with crowbars and the like..  Just about every school upgraded to that standard years ago. Fed money was easy to get.  The door may even have had a drop brace on the room side.  

There are only two ways thru those doors. Mechanical breaching (the fire dept gear already mentioned) or explosive breaching with a water charge.

The police at Sandy Hook, Santa Fe and iirc, Parkland had exactly the same problem.
View Quote
They tore down a school and rebuilt on site just a few years ago.  I personally opened a few classroom doors.  Short of a window its the easiest way.  I say that because I personally breached a classroom through a cinder block wall.  Nothing but flat head ax and haligan for all of it.  

Classroom doors aren't that hard to get open unless they are intentionally fortified.  

And again I stand by sawzall or K12 saw cutting the bolt being the easiest quickest method to open the door.  sadly the noisiest also.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There used to be a TV show where men competed at various "tactical stuff" and one of them was breaching doors by mule kicking, using a sledge and, I think, a ram.
View Quote

It was a show. Feel free to mule kick a door while someone is shooting back through it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Think what you want.  Your solution is absurd.

I really have no reason to explain my credentials to you.

Enjoy your rant.
View Quote
Cool.  YOu don't have to give your credentials.

Your explanation puts you in the "I don't know shit" category.  

You honestly do not know what you are talking about and you are taking swings at a pinata.  

It is realistic, in my city, for the 2nd or 3rd kill team entering to potentially have a sawzall or K12 with them.  It would absolutely be available from the first fire engine on scene.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a huge problem.  When they allow multiple stories to swirl.  And the current "OFFICIAL" story is different that "those on the inside here" are reporting, that smells of bullshit.

I don't know the real story.  I am hoping to know sometime soon.  What I have seen does not look good.  But fact are hard to come by so far.

There is a good chance they have just started interviewing those officers tonight.
View Quote

No, I’m pretty sure they were doing some kind of critical incident investigation immediately.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It was a show. Feel free to mule kick a door while someone is shooting back through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There used to be a TV show where men competed at various "tactical stuff" and one of them was breaching doors by mule kicking, using a sledge and, I think, a ram.

Mule kicking and outwardly opening commercial door is completely ineffective.  Inwardly opening doors are different.

Last year my crew mule kicked doors of an entire floor of a huge appartment building that was ON FIRE YO.  Lightning strike lit off the attic and shorted the fire alarm.  Nobody was awake we had to roust people.  I was scared to death I was gonna get shot.  

Mule kicking more than about 4-5 doors is exhausting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not on their belt.  Not available when responding to an active shooter. If they have time to go out to a fire truck then its probably not an active shooter.

And relax, you get way too angry.
View Quote
40 minutes wasn't enough time?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, I'm pretty sure they were doing some kind of critical incident investigation immediately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm pretty sure they were doing some kind of critical incident investigation immediately.
May have been.  A lot of places will not let officers give legal statements until 24 hours at least have passed.  

I have no idea what the standard is in Uvalde.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are only two ways thru those doors. Mechanical breaching (the fire dept gear already mentioned) or explosive breaching with a water charge. Shotgun breaching is not done with regular ammo since there are people inside and the 5.56 is worthless for breaching.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a school classroom door, it was probably the cheapest shit they could find

How far does the bracing go into the cinderblock wall?  I can smash the fuck out of a cinderblock with each swing. They aren't solid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why every school can't have a set of keys available in the main office.  What would it cost a few hundred bucks a school to get some keys made? Don't have to track down anybody if first responders know where there will be a full set of keys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on, man!  It's a school, during school hours.  Principals, janitors, administrators... all have master keys.  

I'm not sure why every school can't have a set of keys available in the main office.  What would it cost a few hundred bucks a school to get some keys made? Don't have to track down anybody if first responders know where there will be a full set of keys.

I’m the guy in the school who was hired primarily to stop a school shooter. If you need a master key, find where my body lays, get them from my left side pocket.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They tore down a school and rebuilt on site just a few years ago.  I personally opened a few classroom doors.  Short of a window its the easiest way.  I say that because I personally breached a classroom through a cinder block wall.  Nothing but flat head ax and haligan for all of it.  

Classroom doors aren't that hard to get open unless they are intentionally fortified.  

And again I stand by sawzall or K12 saw cutting the bolt being the easiest quickest method to open the door.  sadly the noisiest also.
View Quote

I’m absolutely certain the fire guys have plenty of tools to open any hard door on a campus, but when you add up the minutes needed to get the tool and then use it, it’s plenty of time for a crazy to do his evil.

The interesting question is how did the actual door get opened, if it turns out the barricade story is true?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How far does the bracing go into the cinderblock wall?  I can smash the fuck out of a cinderblock with each swing. They aren't solid.
View Quote
Those are.  Each cinder block will be filled mostly with concrete.

And I respect your passion.  But you are not opening any of those locked classroom doors without tools.  

Just being realistic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
May have been.  A lot of places will not let officers give legal statements until 24 hours at least have passed.  

View Quote

I’d have to see that policy in writing to believe it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm absolutely certain the fire guys have plenty of tools to open any hard door on a campus, but when you add up the minutes needed to get the tool and then use it, it's plenty of time for a crazy to do his evil.

The interesting question is how did the actual door get opened, if it turns out the barricade story is true?
View Quote
I can only speak for my city.  Interaction would be darn near seamless.  If the cops needed a tool they would have it within seconds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd have to see that policy in writing to believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have to see that policy in writing to believe it.
You can start with city of Dallas.

ETA. Outta be easy to find.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And I respect your passion.  But you are not opening any of those locked classroom doors without tools.  

Just being realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just being realistic.

How many courses around each door are filled with concrete?  The whole wall isn't. I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can only speak for my city.  Interaction would be darn near seamless.  If the cops needed a tool they would have it within seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm absolutely certain the fire guys have plenty of tools to open any hard door on a campus, but when you add up the minutes needed to get the tool and then use it, it's plenty of time for a crazy to do his evil.

Same where I work, if I need a tool to open a door I would be given one
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've lived in the South almost 65 years and only storm doors/screen doors "open out".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it an inward or outward door?
Up north, exterior doors open in and down here open out.
What was the class room door?

I've lived in the South almost 65 years and only storm doors/screen doors "open out".

Nothing really opens out as the hinges are either exposed or have to be configured differently.

I can’t imagine having another school incident where officers weren’t fighting to get in and waste that asshole.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep in mind, Uvalde PD is not doing this investigation.  Neither is the county.  They just don't have the resources to do it. This is either going to be DPS or Fed and yes, they will place gag orders on everyone involved.

If it's the Fed it'll be well over a year before anyone gets basic  facts on this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This conundrum reminds me of the first saw movie. A hack saw to cut through a hardened steel chain or through his leg.
Or the fucking sewer pipe that would take 10 minutes tops with an decent hacksaw blade......fuck. Reminds me of how fucking outrageously stupid the average person is......

How did the border patrol breach the unbreachable door?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How many courses around each door are filled with concrete?  The whole wall isn't. I'd like to know.
View Quote
My experience for breaching a cinderblock wall to a classroom is it is one cinderblock thick.  They were filled with concrete.  Start at the bottom and work your way up is easiest.  

Sample of one school
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This conundrum reminds me of the first saw movie. A hack saw to cut through a hardened steel chain or through his leg.

Tracked a key down, finally.
Or the fucking sewer pipe that would take 10 minutes tops with an decent hacksaw blade......fuck. Reminds me of how fucking outrageously stupid the average person is......

View Quote

Found a key
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hopefully we will all know at some point
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Come on, man!  It's a school, during school hours.  Principals, janitors, administrators... all have master keys.  
View Quote

Exactly. How hard would it be to find someone like this to get a key from?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, Uvalde PD is not doing this investigation.  Neither is the county.  They just don't have the resources to do it. This is either going to be DPS or Fed and yes, they will place gag orders on everyone involved.

If it's the Fed it'll be well over a year before anyone gets basic  facts on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought I heard the Rangers are in charge of the investigation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's DPS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Exactly. How hard would it be to find someone like this to get a key from?
View Quote

Depends.  How far did they run when the shooting started?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's DPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's DPS.

I normally don't equate them with the "normal" DPS guys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A guy in the other thread says he has video of the whole thing and I think he is implying it portrays the local police in a better light
View Quote
He is saying all the good stuff happened around back.   The stuff recorded in the front was not where the action was.

Only thing is that is not what the DPS said.  I don't have an answer.  I am rooting for the pd to have done the right thing.  I will hold out for hard evidence either way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Once again, fire departments will not respond into an active scene
View Quote

It’s probably different where you are…
What they are referring to is more rescue task force.
If you have the shooter cornered, (hot zone)
Fire /EMS will go with armed pd escort into the warm zone, where the shooter has injured and moved on. They will then triage / treat and evac outside to a secure area normally made with walls of big fire trucks and armed men securing that area.
From medium to metro sized cities are taking that approach now.

As far as using them to breach a door with a shooter on the other side like in this case, it’s not going to happen where I am, and I don’t know anyone doing it. Would a fireman be brave enough to risk it? Absolutely. But nobody would let him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My experience for breaching a cinderblock wall to a classroom is it is one cinderblock thick.  They were filled with concrete.  Start at the bottom and work your way up is easiest.  

Sample of one school
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sample of one school

So you broke the second course from the door, right. If the first course is concrete filled it would be rebar reinforced. Am I understanding you?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you broke the second course from the door, right. If the first course is concrete filled it would be rebar reinforced. Am I understanding you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sample of one school

Depends.  Some had rebar, some did not.  I could not tell you what the course right next to the door had.  I attempted halfway down the wall.  Once you found something that didn't have rebar running through it you could work.  

It was not easy, it was not quick.  And it was exhausting.  You start from the bottom cause once you break a bottom one free the ones above fall out easier.  I was not the only one who worked on it.  We did it in pairs.  It is not realistic to breach that wall, although it can be done.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#41]
The SWAT commanding officer should have had keys to the school before this shooting event ever took place. Foresight and contingency for future operations is partially what these police officers should be getting paid for. If not, then their services to the community should be considered substandard and in need of updating.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You are not mule kicking a school door.  (But it works awesome on typical residences.)

A sledge does a lot, a breaching key is great, a halligan, basically anything can break glass and tear out the plastic layers if it is laminated, or safely clear out the remaining glass if not.

But as mentioned a patrol car thru the door works wonders.  As does just grabbing the door when someone is exiting.  Hell in a pinch a firearm will start a breach if you have to.  Good gloves are important to always have on you...

I carried a breaching 12 Gauge, a breaching key, a halligan tool, a sledge, and a few other things in my patrol ride.  It is called basic preparedness.  Some of my coworkers had zero idea how to effectively use any of them....  

And with some folks you can train, give them the tools, and tell them what to do, and when things happen they just go blank and it all goes out the window.  Guys stacking on the school when the should enter.  Guys forgetting to grab their rifle from the patrol car.  Someone wanting to set up a fucking perimeter like it is 1990....   etc.  (Those are all real examples on school shootings I responded to).  People who are mentally unprepared will have trouble, while those who seriously considered it might make mistakes but keep pushing on and finish the mission.
View Quote

Training and mind set is what would have saved  lives you are spot on.  Protect and Serve.  I your mind hasn't already went though it your body won't do it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The SWAT commanding officer should have had keys to the school before this shooting event ever took place. Foresight and contingency for future operations is partially what these police officers should be getting paid for. If not, then their services to the community should be considered substandard and in need of updating.
View Quote

Very few school districts are going to be handing out keys to anyone. Esp if said keys go offsite.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17187/D2309091-6209-468A-BB4B-747AC2A3ED15-239-2398245.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17187/E581CFD2-E1E0-4847-9DA0-2FAF674AA299-239-2398247.JPG

I know this is just an example someone posted, but I would like to know why everyone assumes that the door is the only point of entry?
View Quote

Hurricane glass would make the difference where I am, but someone posted a kid or kids exited a window, so I don’t know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I have seen a small man do big things with a Burke bar. A 5 ft long pry bar with a forged curved foot can fuck up a hell of a lot riki tik. Tiltwall dudes use them to bump around concrete panels on slabs. Gotta figure any door or masonry framing will yield to a well placed pry and a dozen dudes leaning on it. Cheap and portable tool for a truck, not practical in a squad sedan. Maybe not. I only trained in vehicle extrication. I would be handy there too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Rams only work on inward opening doors. Most officers are not trained on breaching at all.  If there are breaching tools available in a small department they are usually in the supervisors car and it’s maybe bolt cutters, a ram and a halligan tool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s probably different where you are…
What they are referring to is more rescue task force.
If you have the shooter cornered, (hot zone)
Fire /EMS will go with armed pd escort into the warm zone, where the shooter has injured and moved on. They will then triage / treat and evac outside to a secure area normally made with walls of big fire trucks and armed men securing that area.
From medium to metro sized cities are taking that approach now.

As far as using them to breach a door with a shooter on the other side like in this case, it’s not going to happen where I am, and I don’t know anyone doing it. Would a fireman be brave enough to risk it? Absolutely. But nobody would let him.
View Quote

All this is a moot point since I believe Uvalde relys on  a hybrid paid/volly fire dept. No one is getting there anytime soon. The nearest town with another dept is Castroville which is also volly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about the cuffed lady who slipped them, jumped the fence, went into the school and got both of her kids out........while the police watched. edit WSJ interview
View Quote

Her kids were in a classroom behind friendly lines?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Vehicles make great breaching tools......
View Quote

Crown Vics > Doors
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Nevermind
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top