BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet that seller is telling the truth. He probably sent all his product to amazon where they comingle items and they just picked a fake one up from another sellers inventory.
View Quote

Agreed. This is exactly the problem with buying auto parts on Amazon. You don't know which warehouse they're coming from,  and they're not all counterfeit. You just won't find out until you get the item.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Move on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few of the purrolator filters off Amazon.

Hope they’re not fake
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
This topic interests me as I have Honda and have been down this rabbit hole. I seek the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a01 (USA made by Filtech) which is no longer made and replaced by the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a02 (made by Fram). Here the story. I was buying 5 packs and then went on EBay to get some since they are hard to find. I get a batch that look different and that's how I learned about the fakes. I started doing some reading on what filters to use and found one youtube video where one of the fakes they cut open was better quality then the Fram filter in that guys opinion. What an educational experience it was cause also at this time I learned that Amazon is store front for China as explained in a post above.

I have one original filter left. Like you the oil filter thread was excellent. Looks like I wll be using Wix or NAPA Gold myself going forward. Good luck OP and if anything maybe this thread will help others shed light on what Amazon has become and even oil filters are faked today.

If any anyone is still using the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a01 and can't find them, what are you using?

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oil filters are like $8 why fake them
View Quote

China steals everything. I've read a story where an American company built a plant in China. Of course being in China it's the Chinese people who biuld the plant. They built two, one for the American Company and one for them. The story when on to say to second plant asked the American company to test their product. When they tested it they realized what was going on. They are not making fake product over there. They are stealing and copying our products.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When did Amazon returns stop being a black hole that some kid sent perfectly weighted boxes of rocks into for years?

The Amazon return centers are redistribution centers now? I missed this. They were dead ends.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon FBA is a bit of a shit show.

There are times when Amazon will basically put products from multiple sellers in the same "bin" if they are the same.  Theory is that it doesn't matter which goes with which seller if they are the same and the customer gets the product they orders.  Commingling they call it.  So the item you get may not actually be one sent in by the seller you were buying from.

Then there is always the possibility that the filters the seller is providing to Amazon are real, but a previous buyer of them did a return and sent in a fake filter.  The Amazon warehouse person will have no idea how spot a fake filter, so it just goes back on the shelf for an unlucky buyer to get.

Hard to say what is really going on with these filters.  This is all just a good example of why I never buy stuff like that from Amazon.

When did Amazon returns stop being a black hole that some kid sent perfectly weighted boxes of rocks into for years?

The Amazon return centers are redistribution centers now? I missed this. They were dead ends.

Amazon warehouse has the returns as items for sale.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This topic interests me as I have Honda and have been down this rabbit hole. I seek the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a01 (USA made by Filtech) which is no longer made and replaced by the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a02 (made by Fram). Here the story. I was buying 5 packs and then went on EBay to get some since they are hard to find. I get a batch that look different and that's how I learned about the fakes. I started doing some reading on what filters to use and found one youtube video where one of the fakes they cut open was better quality then the Fram filter in that guys opinion. What an educational experience it was cause also at this time I learned that Amazon is store front for China as explained in a post above.

I have one original filter left. Like you the oil filter thread was excellent. Looks like I wll be using Wix or NAPA Gold myself going forward. Good luck OP and if anything maybe this thread will help others shed light on what Amazon has become and even oil filters are faked today.

If any anyone is still using the honda oil filter 15400-plm-a01 and can't find them, what are you using?

View Quote

There are Filtech filters still available. We get them in from time to time at my dealer. You are overthinking it. Either filter is fine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Move on.
View Quote

This is the best advice for most situations.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a few of the purrolator filters off Amazon.

Hope they’re not fake
View Quote

Yeah I didn't know fake oil filters were a thing.  I bought a 12 pack of Motorcraft to save a bit of money, now I'm concerned.  

ETA link to oil filter thread?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The YouTube video is more likely to be fake than the filters.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Amazon has turned into a chinese marketplace, I don’t buy any name brands there

Broken English in correspondence dead give away
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I stopped reading when i saw the term “yota”.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If ur worried about OEM factory, just buy sold by Amazon stuff and skip any fulfilled by Amazon items and you won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, if you are convinced they sold you fake filters, then you want to bid rid of the seller for good. Walk away with your lesson learned.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

China steals everything. I've read a story where an American company built a plant in China. Of course being in China it's the Chinese people who biuld the plant. They built two, one for the American Company and one for them. The story when on to say to second plant asked the American company to test their product. When they tested it they realized what was going on. They are not making fake product over there. They are stealing and copying our products.
View Quote
Yep. They are the biggest IP thieves in the world. Stihl found out the hard way when they opened a plant there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind, if it's shipping from Amazon then the seller basically doesn't matter.  

If there's 10 sellers selling an item, they all ship their shit to Amazon. They get scanned and dumped into the same bin.  

Seller A might be totally legit. But seller B sent in counterfeits. You might pick seller A when you check out, but you could get product sent in from ANY seller, including B. It's whichever the packer randomly grabbed from the pile.

So you purchased a fake "from" seller A, by no fault of their own.

This is Amazon's comingled inventory system.  

If the item ships direct from the third party seller, you have a better chance of receiving legitimate shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here’s how I think it works.
If said product exists on alibaba as a knock-off, there’s a 75% chance Amazon.com is selling the knock-off version.

One day this will make the news and Amazon stock will crash(even more).
View Quote

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post; he IS the news and therefore will not be reported.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I’d bet a good majority of auto parts on Amazon are counterfeits.  Best never buy this stuff off Amazon unless you want the ‘alibaba’ components.  

It’s interesting how/why there’s even knockoff parts for very specific things.  They really sell enough fake products to pay for tooling and development?  Many times these things are clearly different indicating different tooling.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
The company my wife works for did this a few decades back and got burnt.  They are now once again moving into China.  

Lessons not learned and all that...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know shit can happen, but i also doubt that Toyota would ship a filter that is partially bashed in (despite the box having no damage at all, the top of one filter looked like it was hit with a hammer).
View Quote

NVM, asked and answered.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Wix filter factory subscription picked up from local parts store last weekend.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon FBA is a bit of a shit show.

There are times when Amazon will basically put products from multiple sellers in the same "bin" if they are the same.  Theory is that it doesn't matter which goes with which seller if they are the same and the customer gets the product they orders.  Commingling they call it.  So the item you get may not actually be one sent in by the seller you were buying from.

Then there is always the possibility that the filters the seller is providing to Amazon are real, but a previous buyer of them did a return and sent in a fake filter.  The Amazon warehouse person will have no idea how spot a fake filter, so it just goes back on the shelf for an unlucky buyer to get.

Hard to say what is really going on with these filters.  This is all just a good example of why I never buy stuff like that from Amazon.

Correct!   I bought an lithium motorcycle battery as a warehouse deal,  it came in and had obviously been opened and hooked up.  Tried to start my bike and the battery got HOT fast!  I up Amazon and explained the situation, and they just file a return!   So I asked for clarification that they wanted me to mail back a damaged lithium battery which is hazardous material.   They decided to refund my money and let me dispose of the battery
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is an oil filter fake, branded as OEM but missing check valves, etc? I'd take the parts to at least have as spares, but not if it's at the cost of dropping the review. Does sound kinda like they're trying to do the right thing, hard to tell. Some places that are "supplied by Amazon" or something like that basically drop ship and would t have sent them themselves. Sucks.
View Quote

How is it fake? It's not the brand it purports to be. Chinese crap pretending to be Japanese/American/German/wherever.

What they're doing is trying REALLY hard not to get a strike for counterfeit goods (which are all over Amazon btw) - they will get there store pulled for one too many.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Amazon put a team together last year to go after counterfeit products.
Contact them through the website- the guy in charge of it is a former prosecutor, and it seems like they are eager to stop counterfeits.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top