Quoted:

100% this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neighbor reported suspicious black man who turned out to be her neighbor.

Black man, likely with victim mentality, refuses to cooperate with simplest of requests and do normal person stuff.

Police responding to report of suspicious activity and making simple request for ID are the obvious bad guys.

BLM forever!

I read the OP without knowing the pastors race and it didn't change my mind. Police were wrong and quite honestly their kind of mentality about being able to see anyone's ID anytime they want needs to fucking stop.

100% this.

Lol.

I bet y’all change your tune when some random guy on your property tells them to fuck off when they ask for an ID.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
unless if i read that wrong it sounds like he refused to state what he was doing there. Why couldn't he just say he was watering the flowers? Seems like that would have been the end of that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He was allowed to be on that property. So I'm not sure where you’re going with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read the OP without knowing the pastors race and it didn't change my mind. Police were wrong and quite honestly their kind of mentality about being able to see anyone's ID anytime they want needs to fucking stop.

When they're on someone else's (private) property?

He was allowed to be on that property. So I'm not sure where you’re going with this.

@JustAnother10-32

Do cops with psychic powers get higher pay in your area?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone that defends the police in this case is a cunt.
View Quote

To be fair and not broad brush, some are dicks too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol.

I bet y’all change your tune when some random guy on your property tells them to fuck off when they ask for an ID.
View Quote

Should we change our tune if that random guy is someone we asked to water the flowers?

Or if we are watering someone's flowers and the cops come and want me to respect them?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They typically have to have a reason to be stopping you for a traffic stop.
It is my understanding that in most cases there is no law requiring them to inform you of that reason.
But, they would have to explain that reason to a court, if you challenged them.
That said, I assume they can always find some reason, as needed.
View Quote

Right.  I mean if you're stopped while operating a vehicle on a public road or highway, that's perfectly understandable, but you're presenting your operator's license primarily, the other info is incidental.

Demanding govt issued ID while operating a garden hose?  That's a different situation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sos, same old shit.
Look at me, I am of a darker color and I will not do as you tell me.
View Quote

He was within his rights to refuse. The cops there are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck him with a rusty crucifix.

Prick asshole is on the lookout for woe is me I’m being harassed by the man moments in his life to further his race cred.

It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, if you respond politely to the nice officer then they usually respond in kind.

If you come off like an asshole, you get treated like an asshole.

And you deserve what you get.
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Showing an ID during a traffic stop has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"You will show ID"  - doesn't matter if we suspect you of a crime, or just want to pull you over for "reasons".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBFaWzMHAQ
Showing an ID during a traffic stop has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's article.
It wasn't about the traffic stop, it was about being ID'd "just because".
You know damn well that wasn't a legit traffic stop.
I do realize there is no way for the driver to prove that, however.
The cop just has to say "he turned too wide" "he accelerated too fast".
The point is, the police legally can't just pull over eny random car and demand ID - they must have a reason to pull it over first.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whether he was “required” to or not, wouldn’t have just been a lot less drama for all involved if the Pastor had just showed his ID to the cops?

The neighbor owes everybody (cops and Pastor) a beer and pizza night.
View Quote

Nope. He verbally told them who he was, and what he was doing. That was all that was required. If the cops weren't fucking stupid, the would have seen the wet plants and ground, and gone on their way.
But being fucking stupid, they escalated the situation, and now they will pay. Because they are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They still charged him after the neighbor who called 911 came out and tried to stop them. That's what you get for being uppity!
View Quote

Everything that happened prior to this point in the story is consistent with everybody acting in good faith and being good people trying to work it out while at the same time being highly suspicious of each other. Up to this point everyone gets a pass.  

When the dude still gets arrested after he is declared righteous by the 911 caller, at that point you know there is at least one asshole present. I can't say who it is (it could be everybody), and I'm sure there are more facts to the story than the sensationalist article gave us.  

(leaning 70% it being cops, 30% pastor).
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Black man, likely with victim mentality, refuses to cooperate with simplest of requests and do normal person stuff.

Police responding to report of suspicious activity and making simple request for ID are the obvious bad guys.

BLM forever!
View Quote

He didn’t have id on him because he was across the street from his house.  He told them he was there to water the plants and he lived across the street.  This all sounds very reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can someone please add some more squares?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLM forever!

100% this.

Lol.

I sure won’t, when they are watering my flowers.  How can you be so obtuse?  Do you work at it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cops being cops.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The same neighbor who wouldn’t even verify who she was?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him with a rusty crucifix.

Prick asshole is on the lookout for woe is me I’m being harassed by the man moments in his life to further his race cred.

It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, if you respond politely to the nice officer then they usually respond in kind.

If you come off like an asshole, you get treated like an asshole.

And you deserve what you get.

And even if he had ID and showed it you think that would have been the end of it? The person calling admitted the mistake and look what still happened.

Maybe, just maybe the reputation by that PD was earned.

Yes, that would have been the end of it.

But a neighbor verifying that he was indeed who he claimed to be wasn't enough for them?

The neighbor vouching for him must have been in on it too, obviously.

The same neighbor who wouldn’t even verify who she was?

What crime was she suspected of committing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Wow, that really does read like every cop thread on Arfcom!

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In Alabama, must you present photo ID in order to identify yourself?  

Full name, address, etc., insufficient?

View Quote
Name
Address
Reason for being in public

AFAIK, he complied.
Lazy cops will just demand ID for the first two (especially if the real motive is UNA).

Pastor will spend $3-4K on attorney and PI to convince the DA to drop.
This is from prior experience with a reverse UNA in 2009. That plus 8 hours in the county jail was my damage.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
unless if i read that wrong it sounds like he refused to state what he was doing there. Why couldn't he just say he was watering the flowers? Seems like that would have been the end of that.
View Quote

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote

"good fences make good neighbors"

Get off my lawn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLM forever!

100% this.

Lol.

They did not have the authority to compel him to show ID.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
2 slices of colliding assholes, 1 scoop of nosey Karen.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He didn’t have id on him because he was across the street from his house.  He told them he was there to water the plants and he lived across the street.  This all sounds very reasonable.
View Quote

Suspicious vehicle at a house. Neighbor calls in a suspicious man in the yard of the house. Cops respond and guy is belligerent and wants to walk away.

SCOTUS already covered the identifying part under Hiibel. As long as there is RS, then they are fine. A guy that doesn't live there, with a vehicle that doesn't belong there, and he is not cooperative and tries to walk away. Well, seems pretty simple.

I'll wait for the bodycam to make a full opinion on it. The witness saying she recognized him after the arrest does nothing.

Code of Alabama
Section 15-5-30: Authority of peace officer to stop and question. "A sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper may stop any person abroad in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed or is about to commit a felony or other public offense and may demand of him his name, address and an explanation of his actions."
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Be nice to the police, they're having a bad decade 820 or so years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suspicious vehicle at a house. Neighbor calls in a suspicious man in the yard of the house. Cops respond and guy is belligerent and wants to walk away.

SCOTUS already covered the identifying part under Hiibel. As long as there is RS, then they are fine. A guy that doesn't live there, with a vehicle that doesn't belong there, and he is not cooperative and tries to walk away. Well, seems pretty simple.

I'll wait for the bodycam to make a full opinion on it. The witness saying she recognized him after the arrest does nothing.

Code of Alabama
Section 15-5-30: Authority of peace officer to stop and question. "A sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper may stop any person abroad in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed or is about to commit a felony or other public offense and may demand of him his name, address and an explanation of his actions."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Code of Alabama

From the article:
Officers responded and made contact with Jennings, who did not have his identification on his person. Jennings said he did tell the officers who he was and why he was there.

“He said, ‘Give me some ID’, I said ‘No, I don’t have to give no ID because there ain’t no crime been committed, I said but what I will do is I’ll tell you I am Pastor Jennings and I live right across the street right there and I said you can go ask my wife,” said Jennings.

If the account the pastor gave is accurate, and I suspect it is, he followed the law and the officers did not.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BLM forever!
View Quote

Seriously?!  I am not black, I do not have a victim mentality, most would consider me a ‘normal person’.  Having said that, I would not cooperate in a way that satisfies the egos of those cops either.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The point is, the police legally can't just pull over eny random car and demand ID - they must have a reason to pull it over first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"You will show ID"  - doesn't matter if we suspect you of a crime, or just want to pull you over for "reasons".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBFaWzMHAQ

Now how in the actual fuck would I know that?  Stops are performed all the time on individuals that haven't committed an actual, observed, traffic violation.  (That dude has a warrant, that dude's suspended, we are looking to arrest that dude because of charges for xxxxx case)

Sometimes there are reasons we want to get to a certain point in the stop before we tip them off as to what is going on.  IMO the officer could have handled that better but to make the claims you are making is wildly off base without further proof.  At one point the officer even mentions the driver being suspended if I heard correctly.

Which, again, has absolutely nothing to do with some dipshit officer arresting someone for being invited onto someone else's private property.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Code of Alabama
View Quote

I agree that I will wait for the body cam if it ever comes out. But the part you highlighted had already been met according to the story. If one isn't willing to believe the source of the call in vouching for the man, then doesn't the reason for the call and reason for investigating then become moot?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The witness saying she recognized him after the arrest does nothing.
View Quote

Those bruised egos take a long time to heal, don't they?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone please add some more squares?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374700/Cop_defense_chart_jpg-2396007.JPG

No need.  That card is a ringer already in GD.  Guaranteed to  score Bingo wins nearly every cop thread.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Code of Alabama
View Quote

He told the cops where he lived, across the street, and what he was doing. He complied and told them who he was. They escalated the situation wanting his papers. They are fucking stupid, and will pay.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Bunch of pathetic excuses for "conservatives" in here

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@JustAnother10-32

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they're on someone else's (private) property?

@JustAnother10-32

You don’t have to be a psychic to have figured out this whole shitshow without unlawfully arresting a citizen. All those cops needed was a little bit of common sense and critical thinking, stuff which they all lacked.

Until you have the actual owner of the property tell you someone can’t be on their property, you should treat anyone on that property with respect and not like a criminal unless you see them commit a crime or about to commit a crime.

Demanding ID without reasonable articulable suspicion is a cancer and should stop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If the account the pastor gave is accurate, and I suspect it is, he followed the law and the officers did not.
View Quote

I am sure his first name is "Pastor". And you still can't walk away from a detention/investigatory stop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLM forever!

100% this.

Lol.

Lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote

I'm telling ya.....we need more squares.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am sure his first name is "Pastor". And you still can't walk away from a detention/investigatory stop.
View Quote

So would you be arresting a guy that told you he lived across the street and was watering the flowers? I mean even a new patrolman fresh from the academy should be able to see water on the plants and ground, perhaps some on a sidewalk or driveway.
It takes a special kind of stupid fuck to escalate that situation even if the pastor was an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
If the pastor is a Christian he was wrong in his approach to the police...
The police were wrong as to not call the man's wife or walk across the street to verify his ID.
It was all handled in a childish petty manner.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So would you be arresting a guy that told you he lived across the street and was watering the flowers? I mean even a new patrolman fresh from the academy should be able to see water on the plants and ground, perhaps some on a sidewalk or driveway.
It takes a special kind of stupid fuck to escalate that situation even if the pastor was an asshole.
View Quote

The original call is all that matters. They had a call. A call!  That a mistake was made by the one making the call doesn't enter into the equation. Right or wrong once the wheels start they don't stop.

Now imagine if the wrong address was given and the caller comes forward to tell them. Hmmmm.

Selective reasoning should be in a square.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If the pastor is a Christian he was wrong in his approach to the police...
The police were wrong as to not call the man's wife or walk across the street to verify his ID.
It was all handled in a childish petty manner.
View Quote

Yeah, the cops were fucking stupid. He told them he lived across the street and was watering flowers. 100% escalation by stupid fucking cops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

it doesn't matter where he lives. The officer is there investigating someone that the caller said shouldn't be on the property. most stated require you identify yourself to law enforcement upon request as long as the officer has a legal reason to stop you. being a suspicious person on property that is not yours is a legal reason for an investigation. If your supposed to be there that will come out during the investigation. The second he refused to identify himself he committed a crime. If officers just allowed every person that refused to identify themselves go unidentified and unarrested , there would be alot of unsolved serious crimes. He wasn't arrested for any other reason than refusing to comply with the lawful order of identifying himself. had he been a burglar that the officer just let go because he didn't want to cooperate with the investigation. you would say the officer was lazy or afraid. the cops don't know who he is or why he is there. they had reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. that does not require an actual crime being occurred. all they need is enough to investigate and identify the person, if the person refuses...you go to jail. simple as that.

The level of BLM like cop hate on this forum in recent years continues to baffle me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

BLM forever!
View Quote
Cops can get fucked with you must ID bullshit.
Think they would learn with the constant stream of auditor weirdos getting 10k to 100k judgements  depending on how retarded the cops want to act .
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#46]
If you wonder how there could possibly be cops so stupid in this case, simply read this thread and you'll see it isn't difficult to find idiots that want to make a criminal out of everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Guys watering plants are almost always casing the house ready to break in and steal everything.
View Quote

probably stealing water. i bet there was empty milk jugs, just hiding in them bushes!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, user name fits.
View Quote

you have no idea what a boomer is, do you? i've been a boomer since the age of 24, and it has nothing to do with the year i was born.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When the cops got a call about a trespasser from a neighbor it seems like that a reasonable suspicion legally justifying asking for ID. Once the 911 callers l showed up and vouched for him it seems like they lost that and got into "respect mah authoritah" land.

Dumb cops don't know when they've lost. Smart cops know to smile, tip their cap, say "have a good day citizens" and drive off to get a soda and flirt with the girls who work at the gas station
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything that happened prior to this point in the story is consistent with everybody acting in good faith and being good people trying to work it out while at the same time being highly suspicious of each other. Up to this point everyone gets a pass.  

When the dude still gets arrested after he is declared righteous by the 911 caller, at that point you know there is at least one asshole present. I can't say who it is (it could be everybody), and I'm sure there are more facts to the story than the sensationalist article gave us.  

(leaning 70% it being cops, 30% pastor).
When the cops got a call about a trespasser from a neighbor it seems like that a reasonable suspicion legally justifying asking for ID. Once the 911 callers l showed up and vouched for him it seems like they lost that and got into "respect mah authoritah" land.

Dumb cops don't know when they've lost. Smart cops know to smile, tip their cap, say "have a good day citizens" and drive off to get a soda and flirt with the girls who work at the gas station

According to the article he identified himself.  Is he required to carry and provide an ID card when not driving?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

BLM forever!
View Quote

Really? That’s your takeaway?!?

The cops could have “investigated” the suspects claims and walked ALLLL the way across the street to see if he lived there and was lying.  Or they could have listened to the PERSON THAT MADE THE COMPLAINT and realized she made a mistake in the identity and it was indeed her neighbor.  

Or they could proceed to arrest a PASTOR who had permission to be where he was in his own neighborhood just because he didn’t lick their fucking boots hard enough.

These cops should be demoted to meter maid or some other job without arrest powers or just plain fired.  They clearly lack any critical thinking skills whatsoever and have far too fragile egos to handle any kind of authority.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top