Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Short and sweet:

Sell the VS700 as is. It is not worth the time to put any money into it.

Find a TW200 and put it in the back of a pickup truck. You might have to drive a bit to find what you want.

Any of the popular dual sports will have lowering links available, easy installation.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Already looked there to.  ZERO near me.

Thanks though!
View Quote

Look again.

2022 Yamaha tw200
$6,250
Listed 23 minutes ago in Galena, MD

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1344962845990468/
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Short and sweet:

Find a TW200 and put it in the back of a pickup truck. You might have to drive a bit to find what you want.

Any of the popular dual sports will have lowering links available, easy installation.
View Quote

Emphasis on this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Emphasis on this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Short and sweet:

Emphasis on this.

Thought about that.  I suppose I could put up a Facebook marketplace ad and just say it includes the carb rebuild kit and then the buyer can do it themselves but any thoughts on a fair price?  The bike is tip top aside from the gummed up carbs.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thought about that.  I suppose I could put up a Facebook marketplace ad and just say it includes the carb rebuild kit and then the buyer can do it themselves but any thoughts on a fair price?  The bike is tip top aside from the gummed up carbs.  Thanks!
View Quote

Tough call. If I had a nickel for every listing that says “just needs the carb cleaned” I’d go out and buy a Lamborghini.
As a buyer if it’s not running, assume it won’t.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn’t realize that was all that was holding it up. If you already have the carb rebuild kit I would go ahead and spend an hour or two to get it running. Hopefully that is all it is. It’s just a single carb isn’t it?

A running bike is worth much more than a non-running bike.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn’t realize that was all that was holding it up. If you already have the carb rebuild kit I would go ahead and spend an hour or two to get it running. Hopefully that is all it is. It’s just a single carb isn’t it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I do most of my car/bike work needed, I don't trust myself to rebuild two 35 year old carbs.  I'd rather pay $200 or so to have someone else do it....hence the appt in June I scheduled in April to have it done.  After that it'd going up for sale.

I paid $1250 for it 12 years ago.  If I can get close to that out of it I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While I do most of my car/bike work needed, I don't trust myself to rebuild two 35 year old carbs.  I'd rather pay $200 or so to have someone else do it....hence the appt in June I scheduled in April to have it done.  After that it'd going up for sale.

I paid $1250 for it 12 years ago.  If I can get close to that out of it I'll be happy.
View Quote

Hell, you have nothing to lose trying to rebuild them. If it doesn't work then just sell as is. I wouldn't pay someone. Pay attention to the needle settings and float bowl height as you disassemble them and start there when you reassemble. If it runs then throw it up for $2000 and you will likely sell it for $1500 or maybe your $1250 no problem. If it doesn't run then start at a grand and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's surprisingly pretty simple. Don't be intimidated by it. Youtube is your friend.
I just did 2 carbs off of a 1979 Suzuki. Both slides were incredibly stuck. Once those were free, it was easy street. You can buy the correct japanese phillips screwdrivers to lessen the chance of stripping the screws, and don't over torque the jets when putting back together. I'd say a AR is more complicated to clean.
Someone else isn't going to clean it like you would.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 30 inseam and my 2003 F650 Dakar with 2in lowering links and a low saddle works fine.
The lowering links drop the Dakar to regular F650GS height.  A std F650GS and 1in lowering links and regular seat will do fine for a 29 inseam.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's surprisingly pretty simple. Don't be intimidated by it. Youtube is your friend.
I just did 2 carbs off of a 1979 Suzuki. Both slides were incredibly stuck. Once those were free, it was easy street. You can buy the correct japanese phillips screwdrivers to lessen the chance of stripping the screws, and don't over torque the jets when putting back together. I'd say a AR is more complicated to clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh there's two specific vids on YouTube that are quite detailed showing how to do it for my exact bike!

But again the delicate nature and super tiny sizes of all the parts....makes me quite concerns I'm going to fuck it up!

I dunno maybe I'll try it and I guess so long as I don't lose anything I can still have it towed but yeah the apprehension is palpable with the whole procedure!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 5' 8" with about a 30" inseam.

About a year and a half ago I bought a KTM 790 Adventure and pretty quickly decided it was too tall and heavy for the type of riding I like to do.

Sold it and bought a Kawasaki KLX300 last December.

I like the KLX much better. I can nearly flat foot it with both feet.

Plenty of power and go about 70 mph although I wouldn't want to cruise at those speeds very long.

It does fine around 55-60 mph.

It also does pretty good off road. I have taken it on some pretty gnarly trails and haven't had a problem yet.

I have ridden with someone on a TW200 a few times and it seems under powered and too slow.

We have had to pull over and let traffic pass more than once and he has had trouble on some of the steeper/longer hill climbs.

Before I bought my KLX I made a list of every motorcycle that I was possibly interested in and looked up the seat height and weight of all of them.

Most adventure/dual sport/dirt bikes are too tall for me but most of them can be lowered.

In the end I decided that the KLX would do everything I wanted it to and it has a decent seat height and is reasonably light.

Happy with it so far.

That said, if you really don't plan to go off road the supermoto version would probably suit you better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Honda CRF300L or rally.

My wife is 5'7" with short legs and she makes it work.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I greatly appreciate all the replies.  I looked around at the classifieds and called to all the area dealers but, on the used market, the prices for the miles and age are just not sitting well with me.  The closest was that TW200 in Gettysburg which, after $100 in gas would be around $5300 OTD for an 10 year old bike.  But nothing else really came close.  

Just a quick trigger warning that what I plan to buy might pop a few blood vessels.....

Ultimately, a China bike is what I'm going with....for now.  Specifically the Lifan X Pect. It's a low seated 200cc dual sport.  Other than the chubby tires on the TW200 the X Pect is close to a clone....maybe closer to the XT250.  But in any case, that's what I'm going with.  Did my homework on it which is to say I spoke directly to Lifan, PowersportsMax (seller), my insurance, my notary, my local mechanic, chinariders (forum), youtube vids, reviews..... and I feel confident in the purchase.  Worst case, it's $1958 delivered to my house and $2300 registered/titled/ensured and I'm comfortable rolling the dice on it.  Wish I could have found a Japanese bike for a reasonable amount in excellent shape but the world/market isn't exactly reasonable right now.  In the future, if/when things settle down, I'll revisit the issue.  

Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I greatly appreciate all the replies.  I looked around at the classifieds and called to all the area dealers but, on the used market, the prices for the miles and age are just not sitting well with me.  The closest was that TW200 in Gettysburg which, after $100 in gas would be around $5300 OTD for an 10 year old bike.  But nothing else really came close.  

Just a quick trigger warning that what I plan to buy might pop a few blood vessels.....

Ultimately, a China bike is what I'm going with....for now.  Specifically the Lifan X Pect. It's a low seated 200cc dual sport.  Other than the chubby tires on the TW200 the X Pect is close to a clone....maybe closer to the XT250.  But in any case, that's what I'm going with.  Did my homework on it which is to say I spoke directly to Lifan, PowersportsMax (seller), my insurance, my notary, my local mechanic, chinariders (forum), youtube vids, reviews..... and I feel confident in the purchase.  Worst case, it's $1958 delivered to my house and $2300 registered/titled/ensured and I'm comfortable rolling the dice on it.  Wish I could have found a Japanese bike for a reasonable amount in excellent shape but the world/market isn't exactly reasonable right now.  In the future, if/when things settle down, I'll revisit the issue.  

Thanks again!!!
View Quote

Madness. A good bike will hold value and they are tried and true. Do as you will but I think you are pissing money away.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Madness. A good bike will hold value and they are tried and true. Do as you will but I think you are pissing money away.
View Quote
I only paid $2500 for my wife's XT-250(used), if I ever want to sell it I could get that and more back from it. I also can still buy any part I need for it even though it's a 12 year old bike and in 12 more years I can guarantee I'll still be able to get parts for it. A China Clone Bike from a company that may or may not be around in a couple of years?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I only paid $2500 for my wife's XT-250(used), if I ever want to sell it I could get that and more back from it. I also can still buy any part I need for it even though it's a 12 year old bike and in 12 more years I can guarantee I'll still be able to get parts for it. A China Clone Bike from a company that may or may not be around in a couple of years?
View Quote

Chinese bikes are pieces of shit.  Don't do it OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, good luck getting parts.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from motor and frame....

All parts needed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paid $1250 for my Intruder,.  According to earlier replies I might get between $1500 and $2k for it when I go to sell it in the near future.  And that's 35 years old with no mechanic willing to work on it.  What good are parts in 30-40 years if no one will touch it?  Definitely understand the value of Jap bikes.  But mine is at the end of it's road for anyone other than someone willing to do all work on their own without any support.  Can't say the same for the China bike.  My mechanic said he'll do what's needed so long as I provide the parts.  

Also, Lifan itself is 30 years old.  New to the country but not exactly fly by night.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Those Chinese bikes are the High Point of the motorcycle world. A guy from work just had to have a bike and picked one up. It was disappointing to ride and surprisingly heavy. Made of weak potted metal stuff so they just doubled or tripled the amount of junk metal until it was strong enough. Something on it cracked and he quit talking about it entirely.

This was a few years back so maybe they got better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those Chinese bikes are the High Point of the motorcycle world. A guy from work just had to have a bike and picked one up. It was disappointing to ride and surprisingly heavy. Made of weak potted metal stuff so they just doubled or tripled the amount of junk metal until it was strong enough. Something on it cracked and he quit talking about it entirely.

This was a few years back so maybe they got better.
View Quote

This was absolutely the case 3-5 years ago.  Scared me away every time I considered it.  From my research it is no longer the case.  Are there sporadic stripped bolts?  Yes, but very rare from my reading/talking to owners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#24]
We had this same discussion with another poster a few months back. He decided on a Chinese bike as well. We haven’t heard an update. I suspect he caught the gay. You have been warned, OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm 5'6" and have ridden kx and cr 500s and couldn't touch the ground on either without really leaning the bike. The only bike that gave me issues ever was a custom Harley low rider. I had to sit on the tank to reach the stretched out forward controls. My co worker who owned it was 6'7" lol.

Where in pa op? My brother owns an auto shop and is a rider who does work on bikes too. I also have a friend who does it on the side
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We had this same discussion with another poster a few months back. He decided on a Chinese bike as well. We haven’t heard an update. I suspect he caught the gay. You have been warned, OP.
View Quote

Any links to the thread?  I'll gladly PM the guy.  I tried searching Lifan and a few other terms and couldn't find any threads.  This was a few days ago.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm 5'6" and have ridden kx and cr 500s and couldn't touch the ground on either without really leaning the bike. The only bike that gave me issues ever was a custom Harley low rider. I had to sit on the tank to reach the stretched out forward controls. My co worker who owned it was 6'7" lol.

Where in pa op? My brother owns an auto shop and is a rider who does work on bikes too. I also have a friend who does it on the side
View Quote

Lehigh Valley area.  About 15min from the Jersey border.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any links to the thread?  I'll gladly PM the guy.  I tried searching Lifan and a few other terms and couldn't find any threads.  This was a few days ago.
View Quote

No idea, but it was pretty much the same thread as this. Even the old bike he couldn’t get running. Could be six months or more.

You can guess what everyone who has been riding for decades advice was…
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No idea, but it was pretty much the same thread as this. Even the old bike he couldn’t get running. Could be six months or more.

View Quote

While I'm planning to order one, clearly the Japanese bikes would be my preference!  I'll miss my Suzuki!  

But I'm tired of waiting.  Been two years since I was out riding!!

Started a thread specifically asking for arguments.  As I said at the end of that, if there is an argument/concern I didn't think of and I can't refute it.....I won't buy one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

While I'm planning to order one, clearly the Japanese bikes would be my preference!  I'll miss my Suzuki!  

Started a thread specifically asking for arguments.  As I said at the end of that, if there is an argument/concern I didn't think of and I can't refute it.....I won't buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese bikes are throw away bikes.

Guess you'll find that out the hard way.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Best of luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck.

I refuted your last concern and you respond by jumping on someone else's bandwagon?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Ephrata Honda has this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Yamaha xt250 2014+ for the fuel injection.

Carbs are the worst
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]

I do appreciate the effort but trading an 86 for a 96 isn't quite the leap I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Versys X 300, small, capable, light, fast, cheap and economical
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Nice find!

Fun bike.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I do appreciate the effort but trading an 86 for a 96 isn't quite the leap I'm looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They have an Africa Twin too.  I pass it every morning.  It's like $14k or something though.

Dude I work with is searching hard for a Tenere 1200, I'll ask him if he's come across anything smaller.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The OP of this thread was the OP of that thread too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, if you can't work on the carbs yourself, I doubt you can get it done for 200 bucks, you'll pay closer to 500 bucks and that isn't worth the cost. Sell the thing for 1000 and call it good. You might want to consider a Kymco K-pipe. A quality Taiwanese brand with 100% USA support. I've owned 4 Kymcos had have had no problems with them and the parts supply is no issue, all USA company supported.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't surprise me.  I've been wrestling with this a while.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, if you can't work on the carbs yourself, I doubt you can get it done for 200 bucks, you'll pay closer to 500 bucks and that isn't worth the cost. Sell the thing for 1000 and call it good. You might want to consider a Kymco K-pipe. A quality Taiwanese brand with 100% USA support. I've owned 4 Kymcos had have had no problems with them and the parts supply is no issue, all USA company supported.
View Quote

Just going by what the mechanic that'll be working on it told me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

My bros shop is in Goldsboro and I'll be in your area Saturday
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Honda crf230l, only imported in 08/09, tops out about 70mph, gets ~70mpg unless your WOT on the highway all the time. They were available in Enduro and super moto versions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Check your pm's
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She is a hell of a rider. Far beyond my abilities.

Just imagine what she could do on a TW200
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two TW200s near Lehigh Valley according to cycletrader.

I'm also 5'8" w/ a 29" inseam.  My KLR had lowering links and it worked fine.  My Vstrom is regular height and I'm gtg.  CRF300, WR250, XT250, KLX are all doable.  

Many bikes are very doable w/ the right technique.  Take a look at Jocelin Snow (vid below), she's 5'1" 118 lbs, but competed in the GS Trophy challenge (I think that's what it's called) on a GS1200 a few years back.  Her videos show the technique for riding, stopping, picking up, etc., big bikes.  I met her and saw her do a demo at a Touratech Rally a few years back, she's impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYp1zXyc0fA

She is a hell of a rider. Far beyond my abilities.

Just imagine what she could do on a TW200
Rock hard chick, would outride 95%of GD
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

We’ll then trading your 86 for something Chinese isn’t going to be your leap either. That older Honda I promise you will outlast a new Chinese.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been toying with the idea of making my CRF230F street legal.  I just got it last fall and it's my first bike, so pretty limited riding experience.  It's easy to tool around the yard on, but for some reason it feels somewhat squirrelly on the road.  I'm guessing it's because the tires are more suited for of road and I need something more suited for dual sport?  What's the easiest way to do the lights?  DIY generic led kits?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks again!!!
View Quote
You are making a huge mistake. Most of the Chinese bikes are shit with a shit lifespan and shit resale. Wait a few weeks,  something will come up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This was absolutely the case 3-5 years ago.  Scared me away every time I considered it.  From my research it is no longer the case.  Are there sporadic stripped bolts?  Yes, but very rare from my reading/talking to owners.
View Quote
Dude, we tried. But you done talked yourself into the rap bike. S 3 to 5yr track record is nothing and no promises that parts will be there next year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dude I work with is searching hard for a Tenere 1200, I'll ask him if he's come across anything smaller.
View Quote

Have Super Tens suddenly become scarce? While not ubiquitous, they weren't rare either. And first gens were still all over the used market last I checked.

Or did you mean the T700? I wouldn't be surprised if the 700 demand is still outpacing supply.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top