Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol....I'd be suprised if it got crushed that much, the numbers out today were really good.

also, we are having quite the rally in energy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
holy shit, the Sp500 is down 5% YTD after a 26% run in 2021 and you all are bitching about the start to this year?

I want down 20-30% dammit!!!

lol....I'd be suprised if it got crushed that much, the numbers out today were really good.

Tech is on sale.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
A better topic would be what is everyone buying in these small sales? I'm new to this so trying to learn quickly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A better topic would be what is everyone buying in these small sales? I'm new to this so trying to learn quickly.
View Quote

Large cap growth and/or value that’s 10% off highs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tech is on sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
holy shit, the Sp500 is down 5% YTD after a 26% run in 2021 and you all are bitching about the start to this year?

I want down 20-30% dammit!!!

Tech is on sale.

Yeah Cathy Wood is probably hitting the sales rack on wallstreet right now

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blue Horseshoe loves anacott steel
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still 10-12 years away from retiring. I mostly keep my $$ in index funds and try not to look at my balances on down days because I am confident that the market will be more up than down over the next 10 years.  

I just checked and I'm down a few % YTD, but have a 17.6% rate of return over the last 3 years.  I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at what max amount you can afford to put in. Then put more. More. More. It's all on sale. Play the long game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just put my annual backdoor Roth IRA contribution into VTI (Total Market Index Fund).

There's no particular sector that I'm super excited about, more due to ignorance than anything else, so I just buy the whole thing.

I have a pretty large position in QQQ which does have lots of overlap with VTI but it leans my whole portfolio more aggressive.  It's been a good call for the past 10 years.  I'm not sure if I should rethink that for the next 10 years or not and take some gains back to VTI.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I usually lurk these threads and always like seeing your input in them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I usually lurk these threads and always like seeing your input in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember I’m a long term guy. I hate selling but love buying.  I invest, I don’t trade.

I buy a set amount every Friday automatically. That’s outside the 401k/tax deferred accounts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
We’re only 19 days into the year.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just remember I’m a long term guy. I hate selling but love buying.  I invest, I don’t trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed that approach sounds good to me, I don't have the time or energy to keep up with day to day trading and I have a long time to go till retirement age so I want to build and put my money to work instead of wasting away in a savings account, which is what I've done prior.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to Google that
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a review with my wealth manager yeserday. We laughed about how the market was "tanking". I told her I wasn't worried until she called me in a panic.
She showed me a couple of articles from smart people she follows that expect the Dow to be 40k+ by year's end.
View Quote
Your wealth manager called you in a panic after looking at some articles?

I thought it was supposed to work the opposite way. I thought the client called the wealth manager in a panic, and the wealth manager applied some "behavioral coaching" to talk him down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Energy was extremely cheap.  Very much shunned.  After the rally of January, it's still somewhat cheap.  The dividends are impressive too.  One of the few sectors that is down over the last 5 years.  

Crypto in the next 5 years has as much room to run as anything.  With thousands of cryptos, that's a broad statement, I realize.  I like BTC, and dabble in the alts.

I think silver has room to run.  The USD is in deep, deep shit.  Long-term, all fiat is circling the drain.  I've been leaning to commodities of all kinds, from precious/industrial metals to grains, ramping up in the last 2 years.  Of course, all IMHO.  

I still like some tech.  I dabble in semi-conductor index...which yes has gone up a lot.  Still room to run.

Overall, the next decade, imo, will not look like the last decade.  Last decade was all US stock, all the time.  That won't last forever.  The US stock market cap to US GDP ratio is way out of whack.  Reversion to the mean is a thing.

ETA: If you're looking for a contrarian play, I also trade Russian stocks.  Which has been interesting .
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had to Google that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to Google that

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#17]
This is not as bad as 08,  the fed is stopping all stimulus and the market is having a temper tantrum
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, looking great.

But my employer was very generous with a discretionary 401k contrition, over the regular one.  It amounted to .00039 percent of salary.  Not sure how they even came up with that number.  Record savings since we were not allowed to travel and get per diem and mileage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I thought it was supposed to work the opposite way. I thought the client called the wealth manager in a panic, and the wealth manager applied some "behavioral coaching" to talk him down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a review with my wealth manager yeserday. We laughed about how the market was "tanking". I told her I wasn't worried until she called me in a panic.
She showed me a couple of articles from smart people she follows that expect the Dow to be 40k+ by year's end.

He's saying he wouldn't worry UNTIL she called him in a panic

Not that she did.  Wouldn't implies future tense.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade.
Stocks are on sale. If you have 5 to 10 years to retire buy all you can now.

If your going to retire in less than 5 years move to bonds.

I'm afraid it's going to get ugly in the next 3 years.
View Quote

Bonds?  Are you nuts?  The Fed has said it's going to raise rates multiple times this year.  Do you know what that will do to bond values?  Are you new at this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Your 401K balance doesn't mean shit until the day you retire.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your 401K balance doesn't mean shit until the day you retire start taking withdrawals.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just keep funding your 401k and buying stocks. This is the time to pick up stuff on sale. I'm going to max my 401k again this year and probably divide any extra money between Crypto and stocks.
View Quote

I'm just going to point out that this is exactly how huge-ass bubbles get blown and then collapse.

It's correct until it's not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s gonna be like 2018
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm just going to point out that this is exactly how huge-ass bubbles get blown and then collapse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just keep funding your 401k and buying stocks. This is the time to pick up stuff on sale. I'm going to max my 401k again this year and probably divide any extra money between Crypto and stocks.

Then don’t contribute to your 401k. You’ll show them!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It’s gonna be like 2018
View Quote

Which was a great year if you just kept maxing your 401k and keeping 100% us sp500 fund

My 401k is like 65k. And I just started it 18 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doomers gotta doom, man.

It’s the same every year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Which was a great year if you just kept maxing your 401k and keeping 100% us sp500 fund

View Quote

Ok, to the ultimate permabull, is there a point where US equities are no longer a good deal?

I'm a value guy.  I don't see value there.  Other than a few rare stocks, I have to leave the US to find any value.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you meant trailing twelve months? If not, 22% in 19 days is impressive indeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a marathon and not a sprint. Even with the current sell off im up 22% YTD.  That’s not bad at all.

I'm guessing you meant trailing twelve months? If not, 22% in 19 days is impressive indeed.

Yes. The last 12 months. My mistake. 22% in 20 days would be awesome
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok, to the ultimate permabull, is there a point where US equities are no longer a good deal?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJGBa4YXwAESGcB?format=png&name=900x900

I'm a value guy.  I don't see value there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood. Where else you gonna make money?  I will always be 100% us stock.  Then again I’m in growth mode.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-$52k yesterday...

https://c.tenor.com/jYokxVSW7fMAAAAC/hug-bro.gif
Did you sell?  Because if you didn't, you haven't lost a dime.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaah, OK. My bad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Everything is fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Understood. Where else you gonna make money?  I will always be 100% us stock.  Then again I’m in growth mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, is your plan to basically wait for a trend change?  If the S&P 500 started losing 10% per year, for multiple years, would you alter course?

Just asking.  A lot of people are trend followers.  And you can make a lot of money doing that.

Also, I'm not the least bit concerned about this:
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regret none of the dollars I invested in 1999 and 2007.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Better than fine, those oil stocks are finally taking a run
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I regret none of the dollars I invested in 1999 and 2007.

View Quote

All I see is a buying opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, is your plan to basically wait for a trend change?  If the S&P 500 started losing 10% per year, for multiple years, would you alter course?

Just asking.  A lot of people are trend followers.  And you can make a lot of money doing that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJG5OkeXEAAsjda?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJG5OkeXEAAsjda?format=jpg&name=small

I’m a trend follower. The trend is sp500 averages 10% returns over the long term, so I follow that long term trend.  I wouldn’t alter course if it started dropping 10% every year. In fact I’d be giddy if that happened. Just like I was giddy March 2020.

I’m 4 years from retiring before 55.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know buts its a shit show and only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 401(k) is actually up YTD…
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I try not to let it bother me, but it's really starting to piss me off.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’m a trend follower. The trend is sp500 averages 10% returns over the long term, so I follow that long term trend.  I wouldn’t alter course if it started dropping 10% every year. In fact I’d be giddy if that happened.

I’m 4 years from retiring before 55.
View Quote

10% average is nice.  The problem I see is the last 5 years have been outsized, averaging over 20%/year, and skewed the long-term average.  

Reversion to the mean is, basically, guaranteed.  Granted, it can go on for longer than one might expect.

I'm partially retired, before 45.  I think I need to move south for the winter to enjoy that though
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Just keep buying MSFT
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote

Seriously?

We're a few percent off the ATH and the whiners are out?  Did you put it all in ARKK at the peak or something?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#46]
We are 3 weeks into the year. Your expectations need calibrated if you are spotting your thong at this stage of the game.

People truly have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to investments. Blind ass luck probably moves them onward and upward.

If a company is matching- at least get the match. For me, the tax break of withholding the maximum allowed is a no brainer. Market growth plus company match? Where do I sign???
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Long term game..my TSP C and S funds are buying a ton more shares at a lower price.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Guys remember when the DJIA crashed to 8k. We never recovered. Especially when it crashed down to 18k. Then it crashed to 24k.

We NEVER recovered. It’s rigged. And we’ll never recover from the crash to 35k.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's done nothing but go up for 2 YEARS.  A correction is NOT a bad thing.
View Quote

This lmao.

Like are people serious?

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Its an election year.  It will go UUUUPPPP to make the voters happy...even if they have to dump money blindly into the economy.  There will be stimulus and both parties will try to out do one another on vote buying.  

This would be a good time to open a store selling TVs, Rims, and fake handbags.  

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top