Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
OP nails it
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I try not to let it bother me, but it's really starting to piss me off.

View Quote

This!   Just makes me want to slap the shit out of every democrat.  I never messed with it, I used to just log in and look to see the growth, now I have stopped looking at it.
Hopefully it is a long game and plays out well in a few years.
Thanks Brandon!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Change in Market Value-$27,493.67

Since 01 Jan... not even height of Covid hit it this bad, this quickly

Interesting quandary, joined the "Great Resignation" Q4 and walked away fro ma 20 year career with a huge multi-national (and don't regret for a sec).

So very large 401K is in limbo and haven't decided what to do yet.
View Quote

What exactly are you invested in when one of if not THE largest drops in market history didn't hit you as bad as this is hitting you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Boomers have short memories and millennials have no memories of the last recession

Cannot wait for a hard correction to level out double digit returns and get asset pricing back to growth averages
View Quote

What do you think is causing the millennial amnesia? The millennials I work with who graduated college in the midst of 2008 certainly remember that and have been living with the positive and negative outcomes from it for the last 13ish years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But how much did you lose? Unless you were maxing out a 401k at 19 years old it won’t compare to the pain coming up in the next correction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People have such short memories.

It goes up.....and it goes down.

Boomers have short memories and millennials have no memories of the last recession

Cannot wait for a hard correction to level out double digit returns and get asset pricing back to growth averages

I’m a millennial. I remember the last two recessions vividly.

Pain is coming for this “not a bubble” economy.

But how much did you lose? Unless you were maxing out a 401k at 19 years old it won’t compare to the pain coming up in the next correction.

I survived multiple rounds of layoffs as investment income cratered for my company. 401k wasn’t top of mind, being without a job was. That’s the real pain.  The market is more than just 401ks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trump: One of the best Presidents if not the best President ever. Trump puts the American people first. Trump loves the USA.

Brandon: POS
View Quote

Fuck Joe Brandon!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh and in before the converted to cash guys.
View Quote

That's the smart move with inflation, right????

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
FJB but it’s not even the end of January and the doombirds are crowing about 2022, just like they have done every year I’ve been on this site.

Invest smart, think of the long term, not the daily ups and downs.  Quit listening to doomers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FJB
View Quote

The S&P under Joe Biden in a single year is up 18%.

Markets rise and markets fall.  Attributing emotion to them is a fools errand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm down over $200k for the year... ouch.

At least I have a long way to go before retirement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#11]
401 losses for yesterday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I moved all my retirement accounts out of the. market and into money market accounts.

I'll miss out on any potential gains, but my principal is safe(r)

Been buying gold and silver also. They are always the last to move, so they are on sale right now.
View Quote

I spoke with my account manager and he expects several sales and corrections this year due to rate hikes. He said to keep any monthly contributions I would make in my cash account to buy any sales. Otherwise I’ve kept my accounts as is. I too have also been buying gold and silver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#13]

-$52k yesterday...
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FJB
View Quote

Yup, FJB
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
For those turning 65 this year, it sucks!   for me it has no relevance.  I don't even look at the statement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I spoke with my account manager and he expects several sales and corrections this year due to rate hikes. He said to keep any monthly contributions I would make in my cash account to buy any sales. Otherwise I’ve kept my accounts as is. I too have also been buying gold and silver.
View Quote

Wow. Sounds like he isn't concerned about inflation. Can't say I share that approach.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-$52k yesterday...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For those turning 65 this year, it sucks!   for me it has no relevance.  I don't even look at the statement.
View Quote

If you're turning 65 this year, your market exposure shouldn't be such that you can be harmed by it.

If you're playing catch up at 65 because you choose poorly in recent decades and failed to make money during the greatest bull market in American history, blaming Joe Biden for that sounds completely on-brand but is foolish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People have such short memories.

It goes up.....and it goes down.

Born in 83, don't remember the early 2000's crash all that well as I wasn't really working then outside of flipping burgers. I remember the 08 crash and the 8 shitty years of Obama.
Edit: I also fucked up early on and only in the last 3 years or so have gotten serious about saving for retirement. I have parents who suck ass with money and never knew nor taught jack shit about saving or investing.
My dad died this past Feb pretty much penniless. I hope to not follow in those footsteps, but it ain't looking good. Having a wife that is completely ignorant in finances isn't helpful either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wow. Sounds like he isn't concerned about inflation. Can't say I share that approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rate hikes in theory would slow inflation. I don’t think Volcker 2.0 is out there though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Good, keep going down so I can buy in cheap, I've got 20 years left
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I don’t have the stomach for this shit. I got nervous the first of the year and took half my Roth out. Made it just in time cuz it dropped right after. I paid everything off and goin on vacation. I have no grand illusions of retirement anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade.
Stocks are on sale. If you have 5 to 10 years to retire buy all you can now.

If your going to retire in less than 5 years move to bonds.

I'm afraid it's going to get ugly in the next 3 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long term game..my TSP C and S funds are buying a ton more shares at a lower price.

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade.
Stocks are on sale. If you have 5 to 10 years to retire buy all you can now.

If your going to retire in less than 5 years move to bonds.

I'm afraid it's going to get ugly in the next 3 years.

I have 25yrs left...Ill be buying hard over the next 5-10 yrs
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a review with my wealth manager yeserday. We laughed about how the market was "tanking". I told her I wasn't worried until she called me in a panic.
She showed me a couple of articles from smart people she follows that expect the Dow to be 40k+ by year's end.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Trump: One of the best Presidents if not the best President ever. Trump puts the American people first. Trump loves the USA.

Brandon: POS
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don’t have the stomach for this shit. I got nervous the first of the year and took half my Roth out. Made it just in time cuz it dropped right after. I paid everything off and goin on vacation. I have no grand illusions of retirement anyway.
View Quote

One of my wealthiest customers we did work for said to me "When the market is down....just don't look at it for awhile".

He was doing really well and had an early retirement, so I'm guessing he knew what he was talking about, just let it ride and keep putting money in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I am one of those that jumped to cash right before the first of the year. It killed me to do it, because with inflation I KNEW I was baking a loss into the cake. I was really active on several threads on hear talking about this for the last month or so, even started a couple. Right now, lol I am gambling with a little bit (but the bulk of my money is in cash, and I really wish there was someplace I felt safe to park it to get some return), just playing around on high risk stuff, but might even quit with that. I think things are soon to go on sale.... stretch the charts out and draw a line from the dot com bottom, through the 08 bottom forward to today and see where that is in relation to today's prices. So I think the real sale on stocks in yet to come, I can't wait... lol longer it takes the more I loose to inflation while I wait. God I feel like a fool... hope this isn't a screw up... But I did feel better when I calculated how much I would have lost yesterday, felt good to be in cash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just keep funding your 401k and buying stocks. This is the time to pick up stuff on sale. I'm going to max my 401k again this year and probably divide any extra money between Crypto and stocks.
View Quote

I just bumped mine up as well….I have 8 years till I retire so I am buying what I can
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I moved all my retirement accounts out of the. market and into money market accounts.

I'll miss out on any potential gains, but my principal is safe(r)

Been buying gold and silver also. They are always the last to move, so they are on sale right now.
View Quote

So you are retired already or have another 30 years of working?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

One of my wealthiest customers we did work for said to me "When the market is down....just don't look at it for awhile".

He was doing really well and had an early retirement, so I'm guessing he knew what he was talking about, just let it ride and keep putting money in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Consider for a minute:   The more money you have, the more you can afford to lose.    That wealthy person could wake up tomorrow with his total net worth cut in half.   His life would be completely unchanged.   It’s easy to be serene when you’re at that point.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm in my early 30's so I'm viewing this as a buying opportunity. For people nearing retirement it's a different story entirely. As always, FJB.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a review with my wealth manager yeserday. We laughed about how the market was "tanking". I told her I wasn't worried until she called me in a panic.
She showed me a couple of articles from smart people she follows that expect the Dow to be 40k+ by year's end.
View Quote

I remember when this book hit the news.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]
With the shit that's going on now? This is not a correction, this is a slow-burn. Think about the whole picture - politics, massive spending, inflation. This is not what we experienced in the 70's and in 2008ish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, if you think January 2022 is bleeding, you might want to consider your risk tolerance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Either the 401k will go back up eventually, or money won't matter anyway. Those are really the only two possible outcomes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#36]
New all time highs will be reached this year.

You don't want to miss out by staying in cash
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#37]
So much money being pumped into the economy. It eventually has to go somewhere. Look at any index chart and expand out to 5 years and see where we are. The last 18 months not even really a blip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#38]
And my brokerage is hemorrhaging worse
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#39]
If you don’t need the money for 5-10 years you should be ecstatic when it goes down. Just keep buying as much as you can. And then buy more.

I think folks are used to 15-20% annual returns. That’s not going to happen every year. It has been an awesome 5 years. Hopefully it keeps doing 20% annually.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
New a time highs will be reached this year.

View Quote

Username makes me cautious of following sound advice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this....

its amazing how stagnant the Market was. toward the end of Obama, it really couldn't take it anymore and had to start making some progress. then magically...when T$ got into office it took off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds of the wonder years with the Zero in charge.  One up day followed by three down days.  Went on for years.

this....

its amazing how stagnant the Market was. toward the end of Obama, it really couldn't take it anymore and had to start making some progress. then magically...when T$ got into office it took off.

When it did take off jugears tried to take credit for it, lying POS.

I'm down over 6 figures across the board, I'm about ready to retire so I'm none too happy about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
New all time highs will be reached this year.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep same. Everything's moving sideways or down in my retirement funds.

Fuck liberals
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Either the 401k will go back up eventually, or money won't matter anyway. Those are really the only two possible outcomes.
View Quote

This!!! If the "general" trend of the market is not upward, then the entire system has gone bust.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Down 26K YTD Traditional and Roth. Still ahead for 6 month and 1 year.

I'm retired, and it's fixed income nailing me right now. Considering selling one of the bond funds and putting it in SWPPX.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you're turning 65 this year, your market exposure shouldn't be such that you can be harmed by it.

If you're playing catch up at 65 because you choose poorly in recent decades and failed to make money during the greatest bull market in American history, blaming Joe Biden for that sounds completely on-brand but is foolish.
View Quote

I think the biggest Bull market in history is yet to come, and I want my money in the market to enjoy that increase in value. (hopefully real value, not just dollar-denominated value, but it's got to beat holding cash in the long run)

If I'm wrong and the market is on a one-way trip down the drain.... I don't think American dollars are going to be worth much of anything anyways

I guess I'm a weird mix of confident and fatalistic
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not retiring for another 25 years. Who cares?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#48]
holy shit, the Sp500 is down 5% YTD after a 26% run in 2021 and you all are bitching about the start to this year?

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
holy shit, the Sp500 is down 5% YTD after a 26% run in 2021 and you all are bitching about the start to this year?

View Quote

I want down 20-30% dammit!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....I'd be suprised if it got crushed that much, the numbers out today were really good.

also, we are having quite the rally in energy
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top