User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, USS Truman will now be in the mederteranean Monday instead of planned artic exercise coming up in March. This was a snap decision made last 48 hrs. Also russia just announced "planned naval exercises" in fleets respective areas.  This will be a hot war within 3 weeks.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/national/military-news/uss-truman-strike-group-to-join-nato-exercise-in-med/291-811b72bb-4bf2-4e4c-b02e-a05a5617b2c5
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, USS Truman will now be in the mederteranean Monday instead of planned artic exercise coming up in March. This was a snap decision made last 48 hrs. Also russia just announced "planned naval exercises" in fleets respective areas.  This will be a hot war within 3 weeks.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/national/military-news/uss-truman-strike-group-to-join-nato-exercise-in-med/291-811b72bb-4bf2-4e4c-b02e-a05a5617b2c5
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not saying it's true, but the article emphasizes that the Med visit has been planned:

Pentagon Spokesman John Kirby said Friday that the exercise, "Neptune Strike '22," had been planned since 2020, and, it is not related to the on-going tensions over Russia amassing thousands of troops near the Ukraine border.

Do you have any info that would indicate that it wasn't?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Is she boiling a slice of pizza?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I always thought had Hillary won in 2016, we may have gone to war with Russia. I wonder of Potato will finish that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not saying it's true, but the article emphasizes that the Med visit has been planned:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pentagon Spokesman John Kirby said Friday that the exercise, "Neptune Strike '22," had been planned since 2020, and, it is not related to the on-going tensions over Russia amassing thousands of troops near the Ukraine border.

Why would the Pentagon tell us the truth?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is she boiling a slice of pizza?
View Quote

How many days stale do you figure that slice was? I mean, food is food when you’re desperate enough, but damn.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Boiled pizza?
View All Quotes
It's a Russian specialty.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]

What's their youtube channel again?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's their youtube channel again?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Ukraine Trailer. FOG should just publish themselves. Fuck VICE News.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always thought had Hillary won in 2016, we may have gone to war with Russia. I wonder of Potato will finish that.
View Quote

They dont need us to go to war with russia, they want the world to see we wont do anything except maybe insignificant material support.

Its about breaking the treaty without breaking the treaty. Why do you think the separatist  movement is the front for all this?

Propoganda convinced Germans to shut down their power and import everythiing from russia, theyre now reliant on them, the rest of the euros are paper tigers.

Russian will use this method to retake anything they want if there are people there who speak russian, if there arent they will supply them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Im reading this thread in Rokka's voice.

You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ysg0oF9c4
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely. FOG makes some insanely cool edits of just skydiving with the homies and such. They should go full blown news agency and publish their own stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Absolutely. FOG makes some insanely cool edits of just skydiving with the homies and such. They should go full blown news agency and publish their own stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

They need to make a movie about cool guy stuff!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very relevant story.

Some old graybeard buddies of mine were on the OG JDAM program. RFP didn't have an "AUR" cost target. All the proposals came in at 150-200k a pop range. Apparently the honest PM at Mac/Doug didn't get the ole boy network memo. Unit price under 25k. He actually said under 10k, the 25k represented risk margin they were uncomfortable going under. The rest is history.

What we happen to be paying for most of our equipment is not a reflection of what it could actually cost.
View Quote

Yeah, I wish we could get back to the Acq Reform days of the J-weapons. The closest approximation these days are the (J)UONS programs. Biggest difference being that they prioritize schedule over cost.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure the 'exercise' may have been planned since 2020, but that doesn't mean the CVN's participation was.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the exercise was planned but they bumped it up. Also the Truman was slated for the exercise Cold response 2022 in March with Norway. Not anymore she's heading to the Med. And as of weds she wasn't. Thursday she was ordered to the Med. She still might  head to Norway afterward, but I bet she stays Near the Black sea.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm sure the 'exercise' may have been planned since 2020, but that doesn't mean the CVN's participation was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, The Truman was going to Cold Response 2022 in March. Now she's joining Neptune Strike.

"Neptune Strike” did not show up on NATO’s list of upcoming exercises, as of Friday afternoon. On Wednesday, the US mission to NATO said that the carrier was scheduled to take part in “Cold Response,” an exercise inside the Arctic Circle in early March."
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol... yeah... totally scheduled.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other articles stated that it was on the public facing calendar since 2020. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

Eta: The only outlet pushing the "this is a surprise" angle is RT.

Eta 2: The RT article links to the NATO exercise page showing Neptune 22, but states that Neptune 22 wasn't listed there on Friday. Internet Archive does indeed confirm that it was not listed on that page on 1/18/22.

I withdraw my skepticism.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol link to the lasers
View All Quotes

Lol.

I asked him about how these guys are evading thermal. It seems like if you have a dude on a sniper rifle with a thermal you’re absolutely fucked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol.

I asked him about how these guys are evading thermal. It seems like if you have a dude on a sniper rifle with a thermal you’re absolutely fucked.
View Quote

I would imagine so. FO gives pretty damn good insight. I have been following them for about a year and am definitely not disappointed with their content
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In order:
Percent Kill
Tactics training and procedures
Mission planning
Joint mission planning system
Infrared
Electro optical
Global positioning system
Digital terrain elevation database
Terrain navigation
Image navigation
Microelectomechanical systems
Inertial measurement unit
Point of view
Artificial intelligence
Subject matter expert
Principle executive officer - aka a general/admiral
System engineering technical review
804 - a type of development program that attempts to shitcan all the redtape and get systems to the field in under 3 years. The average "normal" development program, across the dod I think is like 5-10 years.

I've also mentioned (j)uons/uons. Joint  urgent operational needs aka "every day the troops ain't got it, they are dying. Get us something in acouple months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need any of that stuff to accomplish high Pk on near peer hard targets, with a completely autonomous system.

TTPs and MP is a thing.

Let me try a different tactic...

Why would I ever need a radio, when I already have JUMPS and a signature database? Why would I ever need a wire on an AUTONOMOUS system? Why do I need IR when I can fuse the inputs of a near IR EO with a magnetometer and the aforementioned jumps and signature database? Why do I need GPS when DTED exists and tercom/imnav has been a thing since before I was born? Not to mention mems imus can be had for  pocket change.

My POV on this is coming from being the Sensors and AI SME for ~50 programs in a $1/4 trillion portfolio (eta to clarify- technically not one portfolio as it Spans multiple PEOs). I'm quite literally typing these replies during the bio breaks at the SETR event I'm supporting for a 2 billion dollar 804 program.

You think Col. Burton was a pathological liar? That's certainly an interesting take...

Is there a glossary of terms/acronyms available somewhere? Kinda tough to understand technical jargon.

In order:
Percent Kill
Tactics training and procedures
Mission planning
Joint mission planning system
Infrared
Electro optical
Global positioning system
Digital terrain elevation database
Terrain navigation
Image navigation
Microelectomechanical systems
Inertial measurement unit
Point of view
Artificial intelligence
Subject matter expert
Principle executive officer - aka a general/admiral
System engineering technical review
804 - a type of development program that attempts to shitcan all the redtape and get systems to the field in under 3 years. The average "normal" development program, across the dod I think is like 5-10 years.

I've also mentioned (j)uons/uons. Joint  urgent operational needs aka "every day the troops ain't got it, they are dying. Get us something in acouple months.

That's quite interesting. I answer directly to the 202 overlords and coincidentally for unmanned systems as well. You either really lucked out with some good programs or you're overly optimistic about the technology. I'm kind of skeptical because if you are part of a program office - you would know what PEO stands for. Red flag for me.

So I'll just try to be helpful for the audience:

TTP is Tactics, Techniques, Procedures
PEO is Program Executive Office

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Other articles stated that it was on the public facing calendar since 2020. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

Eta 2: The RT article links to the NATO exercise page showing Neptune 22, but states that Neptune 22 wasn't listed there on Friday. Internet Archive does indeed confirm that it was not listed on that page on 1/18/22.

View Quote

I've always been perplexed by this notion that our side doesn't blatantly lie about this type of shit.

We do. Routinely.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've always been perplexed by this notion that our side doesn't blatantly lie about this type of shit.

We do. Routinely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do. Routinely.

What surprises me is that nobody bothers to check. It took me five minutes, while drinking beer.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol link to the lasers
View All Quotes

@WilsonC

Here’s your answer bro

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Lol just saw that. Don't think I wanna buy 10. Time to start a arfcom purchase
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Interesting.  Wondering if they’re actually Perst 4’s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the thread OP. Please keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Wondering if they’re actually Perst 4’s.
View Quote

@0612Devil buy 10 and sell one to me and Ill let you know lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This...

They need to make a movie about cool guy stuff!
View Quote
Their NV stuff is what got me back in pursuit of the night game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds good, in for a couple.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds good, in for a couple.
View Quote

@czechsix lol what the worst that could happen
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@czechsix lol what the worst that could happen
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You have the new Soviet Union invading a sovereign country just because they want to gravitate towards the west. Ukraine is an incredibly corrupt country but Russia has a master's degree in corruption. It is kind of easy to pick sides in this one.
View Quote
Is it now? I'm going to sit this one out. Don't trust any of the players, be it the US GOV, Russia or Ukraine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ebay
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ebay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay

Group buy!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Im down for one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Great, the poors are going to run with this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Group buy!!!
View Quote

@20229mm my guy
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Im down for one.
View Quote

@xxspudxx maybe we can get some more arfcom tarkov guys to get some lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@xxspudxx maybe we can get some more arfcom tarkov guys to get some lol
View Quote

For sure! Let's make this happen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just curious....

Very fascinating side conversation about autonomous drone use in combat. Seems like the tech has been out a while and is now being refined and improved. However, a lot of it sounds like it would have been very useful in urban combat in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2010-2020 period. Was this stuff just not used for fear of revealing it to enemies or used but not publicized?
View Quote

The last several years we were there it wasn’t much “combat” as it was policing.

Skirmishes here and there but that stuff is used in co
Combat…..which full scale was t happening the last several years.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top