Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Very relevant story.

Some old graybeard buddies of mine were on the OG JDAM program. RFP didn't have an "AUR" cost target. All the proposals came in at 150-200k a pop range. Apparently the honest PM at Mac/Doug didn't get the ole boy network memo. Unit price under 25k. He actually said under 10k, the 25k represented risk margin they were uncomfortable going under. The rest is history.

What we happen to be paying for most of our equipment is not a reflection of what it could actually cost.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I see you didn't read the rest of the thread before you replied.
View Quote

I skimmed over most of the usual childish bickering. If I get bored enough I'll go look.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I would like to see Elon Musk start a defense company.

I was looking at the price for a motorized turret ring from a defense contractor. The controller alone was $6,000. I’m guessing if it didn’t have an NSN it would be $400.

But hey my dad sent me to college building $100,000 sheds to store the Army’s lawnmowers in. The Air Force was no help, they contracted out their maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How do we counter it?
View Quote

My make believe system? Same way you defeat any other existing EO/IR system. Lots of different ways.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I made a post 2 years ago about my cousin who was working at an American embassy in China when fucking covid broke out, then didn't get ass out of there when she had the chance.

Guess where the fuck she is now?

If you're new at the state department, they obviously send you to the shit posts.

She bought a beater car. Apparently, there's not a concrete plan in place for them to evacuate. If there's an invasion, her plan is to jump in her car with some of her coworkers and drive to the Polish border and attempt to cross.

Anything of personal value she's already mailed back home.

I mean what could go wrong?

Jesus fucking Christ, can you imagine what the Polish border is going to look like the second Russian tanks roll into Ukraine?

View Quote

An opening of a Leopard 2 expressway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am interest in this gear you speak of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My business is buying and selling Ukrainian gear. Lots of good companies popped up in Ukraine to provide gear to the military. M-Tac makes some great stuff. P1G-TAC also has some cool gear. Just about everything I wear in these freezing temperatures is from Ukraine.

There are surplus stores in most larger shopping malls and cities. Most will deliver at no cost to the closest Nova Poshta (New Post) when purchasing online.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20220119_130336_2_jpg-2245688.JPG

This. I want a shirt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My make believe system? Same way you defeat any other existing EO/IR system. Lots of different ways.
View Quote

Send me a PM if you want to talk about making a business out of this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.  He is there.  

I have no idea what he works on, though.  All I get is, "Dad, I wish I could tell you what I'm working on, it's so badass."  He's still pretty new there, and young.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@guns762 is he in Tucson?  If so there's a good chance I know him.  I was the launch system lead for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW77hVqux10

Yes.  He is there.  

I have no idea what he works on, though.  All I get is, "Dad, I wish I could tell you what I'm working on, it's so badass."  He's still pretty new there, and young.

I bought a bunch of electronic test equipment that belonged to a young guy that now works on weapons systems at raytheon.  

It is older equipment that he bought and recapped and fixed up and used for his college years.  But it is some nice stuff.  

I cant imagine the stuff he is playing with now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What is the cost difference between a system that can operate against a peer without the operator receiving counter-battery fire and one that needs to be used in COIN or insurgency?

How do you do the anti-personnel units?
View Quote

You counter counter battery with range or unassing the area after launch. Or having a larger unit with loiter that can poop out your subunits - giving you blos and tons of range.

Lots of variables here for a potential solution set. It's hard to get after the solution without a conops/conemp.

I like the TTP approach. Zero cost. "Unass yourself if worried about counter battery"

For soft target, the aero/fill/range requirements are much less. 1-2 pounds of CompB class fill is about all you need to mist a person/fuck a car. Forming buck + vacuum table is all you need to crank out fuselage/wings out of carbon fiber/poly and you're cranking out whole airframes for like 10bucks a pop. Etc

This is all public realm stuff. The RC forums basically have 99% of the info needed to make a "killer drone." Honestly the biggest difference between mil systems and what those guys have been doing is access to infill and complexity of FFTT algorithms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You counter counter battery with range or unassing the area after launch. Or having a larger unit with loiter that can poop out your subunits - giving you blos and tons of range.

Lots of variables here for a potential solution set. It's hard to get after the solution without a conops/conemp.

I like the TTP approach. Zero cost. "Unass yourself if worried about counter battery"

For soft target, the aero/fill/range requirements are much less. 1-2 pounds of CompB class fill is about all you need to mist a person/fuck a car. Forming buck + vacuum table is all you need to crank out fuselage/wings out of carbon fiber/poly and you're cranking out whole airframes for like 10bucks a pop. Etc

This is all public realm stuff. The RC forums basically have 99% of the info needed to make a "killer drone." Honestly the biggest difference between mil systems and what those guys have been doing is access to infill and complexity of FFTT algorithms.
View Quote

I need a new hobby after retiring. Can I be your friend?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Hey, I hear $25,000 a pop, I look at my bank account and I can either be a warlord in Africa or on the ground floor of a startup.

Not sure which would be more fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wasn't it at Nellis where they were testing javelins and landed 2 consecutive direct hits on a t-72 sized target at ~3 miles? Which if its true is cool as fuck

has anyone seen the pictures of the Russian t72s with the improvised anti top down atgms?

I've been seeing pictures of Russian tanks on the Ukraine border with homemade looking lattice armor and metal cages welded to the top of the tank to hopefully disrupt javelins and other atgms that hit the top of the tank

apparently they've also added thermal emitters in place of the snorkel on some tanks to hopefully throw off thermal guided atgms like javelins

For illustrative purposes-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_6439_JPG-2247212.jpg

I don't think those are going to help much against the Javalin and NLAWs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You have the new Soviet Union invading a sovereign country just because they want to gravitate towards the west. Ukraine is an incredibly corrupt country but Russia has a master’s degree in corruption. It is kind of easy to pick sides in this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he’s saying is true. Apparently you haven’t done much reading on Klaus Schwab and the World Economic Forum. It’s a grand plan to reset the world. Hence Biden’s Build Back Better slogan. A pandemic was mentioned as one key to putting the plan in motion. Sounds tinfoily but look at how western countries like Australia are treating their citizens and destroying their economies and it becomes much more clear. There’s a lot of pieces in play in the world besides picking sides between Russia and Ukraine.

You have the new Soviet Union invading a sovereign country just because they want to gravitate towards the west. Ukraine is an incredibly corrupt country but Russia has a master’s degree in corruption. It is kind of easy to pick sides in this one.

I agree that Russia needs a good beating. They have no right to keep lopping off parts of these countries. Europe needs to stand together against that aggression or they will slowly fall individually.
Doesn’t change what’s playing out in the world though and the fact it appears our own government is ok with fundamentally transforming our country. But this is a whole other conversation and has hijacked ops thread enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZlqPrXh.gif
View Quote

Blowing up communist shit gets my dick hard.

Which, btw, is something you can't say while giving an interview for a PA campaign. It's apparently "unprofessional."
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which, btw, is something you can't say while giving an interview for a PA campaign. It's apparently "unprofessional."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I thought this was America!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Just curious....

Very fascinating side conversation about autonomous drone use in combat. Seems like the tech has been out a while and is now being refined and improved. However, a lot of it sounds like it would have been very useful in urban combat in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2010-2020 period. Was this stuff just not used for fear of revealing it to enemies or used but not publicized?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, it’s like the static warfare of WWI.

I remember a video of them fighting over what was once a brand new airport. This was years ago, this thing has been going on for sometime.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just curious....

Very fascinating side conversation about autonomous drone use in combat. Seems like the tech has been out a while and is now being refined and improved. However, a lot of it sounds like it would have been very useful in urban combat in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2010-2020 period. Was this stuff just not used for fear of revealing it to enemies or used but not publicized?
View Quote

Just one such example.

Switchblade "killer kamikaze" drone in the Stan, prior to 2011

Unless it's a billion dollar type system, it's just not "newsworthy."

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just one such example.

Switchblade "killer kamikaze" drone in the Stan, prior to 2011

Unless it's a billion dollar type system, it's just not "newsworthy."

View Quote

Man. The battlefield is a terrifying place made even worse
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This. I want a shirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My business is buying and selling Ukrainian gear. Lots of good companies popped up in Ukraine to provide gear to the military. M-Tac makes some great stuff. P1G-TAC also has some cool gear. Just about everything I wear in these freezing temperatures is from Ukraine.

There are surplus stores in most larger shopping malls and cities. Most will deliver at no cost to the closest Nova Poshta (New Post) when purchasing online.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20220119_130336_2_jpg-2245688.JPG

This. I want a shirt.

M-Tac has some cool print shirts. One of my favorites. IM me and I can bring some back with me or ship them back to the US.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

M-Tac has some cool print shirts. One of my favorites. IM me and I can bring some back with me or ship them back to the US.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20220120_223652_2_jpg-2247654.JPG
View Quote

They've got some cool stuff and decent prices, wonder if they ship to the US?
https://militarist.ua/ua/brands/m-tac/?PAGEN_3=5
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Pepperoni pizza bagel in the making?

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is true. Was a bit before Putins time when they really started their subversive efforts in the US, but all those KGB guys are the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is that it makes you vulnerable to what Russians like this guy are saying.

In America, wrong is right- up is down- bad is good. Our government is corrupt to the core because they have been taken over by the globalists. How do you guys not see this? We have a sitting president who is illegitimate and stole the election, nobody voted for him. We have sitting congressmen and senate who are worth millions yet only make like $100k/year. Parts of NY, CA, IL, ect are being turned into dumpsters and the people that live in those places keep voting those people in? Yeah BS. AGs set up a revolving door for career criminals to start a culture war. Face it, America has been co-opted.

It is only going to get worse as CIA and FBI and justice systems turn to wokeness and CRT (as evidenced in their job adverts). Until 2020 gets fixed, there is no future. Alex Jones just threw in the towel and said it is over for America (and he has been fighting the globalists for his whole career).

Putin is the only one spewing sense in this f***ed up world.

Edit: Adding the American government hates you and has declared war on you. You are deemed a domestic terrorist

I agree with most of that, but Putin is still a bad guy too.

Not to mention Putin and his KGB buddies are the ones that set the US on this path he cries about. It's amazing how deep the Soviet tentacles run in the American Left.

That is true. Was a bit before Putins time when they really started their subversive efforts in the US, but all those KGB guys are the same.

Yep. It's been going on for the better part of a century and has involved more than just the KGB.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You don't need any of that stuff to accomplish high Pk on near peer hard targets, with a completely autonomous system.

TTPs and MP is a thing.

Let me try a different tactic...

Why would I ever need a radio, when I already have JUMPS and a signature database? Why would I ever need a wire on an AUTONOMOUS system? Why do I need IR when I can fuse the inputs of a near IR EO with a magnetometer and the aforementioned jumps and signature database? Why do I need GPS when DTED exists and tercom/imnav has been a thing since before I was born? Not to mention mems imus can be had for  pocket change.

My POV on this is coming from being the Sensors and AI SME for ~50 programs in a $1/4 trillion portfolio (eta to clarify- technically not one portfolio as it Spans multiple PEOs). I'm quite literally typing these replies during the bio breaks at the SETR event I'm supporting for a 2 billion dollar 804 program.

You think Col. Burton was a pathological liar? That's certainly an interesting take...
View Quote

Is there a glossary of terms/acronyms available somewhere? Kinda tough to understand technical jargon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is there a glossary of terms/acronyms available somewhere? Kinda tough to understand technical jargon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need any of that stuff to accomplish high Pk on near peer hard targets, with a completely autonomous system.

TTPs and MP is a thing.

Let me try a different tactic...

Why would I ever need a radio, when I already have JUMPS and a signature database? Why would I ever need a wire on an AUTONOMOUS system? Why do I need IR when I can fuse the inputs of a near IR EO with a magnetometer and the aforementioned jumps and signature database? Why do I need GPS when DTED exists and tercom/imnav has been a thing since before I was born? Not to mention mems imus can be had for  pocket change.

My POV on this is coming from being the Sensors and AI SME for ~50 programs in a $1/4 trillion portfolio (eta to clarify- technically not one portfolio as it Spans multiple PEOs). I'm quite literally typing these replies during the bio breaks at the SETR event I'm supporting for a 2 billion dollar 804 program.

You think Col. Burton was a pathological liar? That's certainly an interesting take...

In order:
Percent Kill
Tactics training and procedures
Mission planning
Joint mission planning system
Infrared
Electro optical
Global positioning system
Digital terrain elevation database
Terrain navigation
Image navigation
Microelectomechanical systems
Inertial measurement unit
Point of view
Artificial intelligence
Subject matter expert
Principle executive officer - aka a general/admiral
System engineering technical review
804 - a type of development program that attempts to shitcan all the redtape and get systems to the field in under 3 years. The average "normal" development program, across the dod I think is like 5-10 years.

I've also mentioned (j)uons/uons. Joint  urgent operational needs aka "every day the troops ain't got it, they are dying. Get us something in acouple months.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In order:
Percent Kill
Tactics training and procedures
Mission planning
Joint mission planning system
Infrared
Electro optical
Global positioning system
Digital terrain elevation database
Terrain navigation
Image navigation
Microelectomechanical systems
Inertial measurement unit
Point of view
Artificial intelligence
Subject matter expert
Principle executive officer - aka a general/admiral
System engineering technical review
804 - a type of development program that attempts to shitcan all the redtape and get systems to the field in under 3 years. The average "normal" development program, across the dod I think is like 5-10 years.

I've also mentioned (j)uons/uons. Joint  urgent operational needs aka "every day the troops ain't got it, they are dying. Get us something in acouple months.
View Quote

Much appreciated
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Thank you. I knew about the Condor Legion. I was wondering which operations/battles that Franco used the "blitzkrieg tactics"? I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They've got some cool stuff and decent prices, wonder if they ship to the US?
https://militarist.ua/ua/brands/m-tac/?PAGEN_3=5
View Quote

They have an exclusive deal with an American seller on Amazon. Unfortunately that means inflated prices on the items they do offer in the US. Here in Ukraine it is about 50-60% of what you pay for comparable items from 5.11, etc. Quality of their clothing, back packs, and gear is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Sure seems like shit is getting hotter.

What’s the over under this pops off WW3?

China getting involved?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sure seems like shit is getting hotter.

What’s the over under this pops off WW3?

China getting involved?
View Quote

I think it doesn't set off WW3 yet, but sets the stage for WW3 a few years down the road.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This. Ukraine certainly would have no interest in hiding any sort of conflict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, are they actually fighting? I thought Russia was just massed on he border but no fighting yet?

I call BS. If there wasa single dead Ukrainian at the hands of the Russians, our media would be wall-to-wall with "attrocities" and Potustato would be at the UN with ginned up "intelligence" forming up a posse.

This. Ukraine certainly would have no interest in hiding any sort of conflict.

The Ukraine takes casualties every week and it would take you maybe 15 seconds to discover that if you made an attempt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you're right it will be ww3 the second he crosses into a nato nation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russia doesn't want Eastern Ukraine, they want all of Ukraine. Don't expect them to stop there either. Russia won't be content until all of Eastern Europe is on their leash.

Germany is going to turn around and give their ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The will of US politicians to support, let alone actively defend, an ally is gone. Look who's in charge. China knows it, Russia knows it, everybody knows it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it won't.

NATO and the USA are paper tigers.  The US People do not have the capability to supply or wage a war.

The will of US politicians to support, let alone actively defend, an ally is gone. Look who's in charge. China knows it, Russia knows it, everybody knows it.

Social Justice against colonizerism brung us here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a javelin

Shoot, I’d be satisfied with a Gustav.

I'd be fine with a few of these.

https://i0.wp.com/www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/russian-with-panzerfaust.jpg?resize=1024%2C713&ssl=1

If you are within 60 yds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Ukraine takes casualties every week and it would take you maybe 15 seconds to discover that if you made an attempt.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@WhiskersTheCat

People don't think The Agency be like it is, but it do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/russia_the_agency_sm_jpg-2246923.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jen Psaki (WH press secretary) one week denying false flags exist and now saying Russia is going to do a false flag. Do we believe anything coming from the WH at this point? The whole Obiden admin's boogieman is Russia.

Quoted:

Not to mention USA government has been doing false flags against its own citizens for some time now. Jan. 6, Patriot Front march in DC, Virginia election right wing false flag demonstration who all turned out to be DNC operatives, Jan. 6 remembrance gathering, DC truck guy with bombs, etc.

Edit: also Charlottesville and most probably Mandalay Bay

Lol just because we don't like Jen doesn't give you credibility.

You've made several mistakes in your post a native American English speaker would not make. I'm not going to point them out because I don't want you to learn from them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/1629523773534-2225728.jpg

@WhiskersTheCat

People don't think The Agency be like it is, but it do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/russia_the_agency_sm_jpg-2246923.JPG

Oh look, that building is so tall one can see Siberia from the basement!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#43]
So come to find out it looks like they guy doing the Q&A is actually on the ground on the front lines himself

I can post up some pictures he posted
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Some other interesting stuff

Attachment Attached File

Troop concentration in Belarus
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hey, I hear $25,000 a pop, I look at my bank account and I can either be a warlord in Africa or on the ground floor of a startup.

Not sure which would be more fun.
View Quote

Warlord in Africa. Less risk of death.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#50]
We doing this yet?

DJ Blyatman & dlb - Kamaz (Official Music Video)
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top