BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Watership Down, seriously.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thread is depressing. Any given moment I have 3 books being read, more in the wings waiting. My house, vehicle, bathroom are all libraries. I have to throttle myself when I go to libraries, I want to walk out with a stack of books I can't carry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe this
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Horn of the Hunter
Face of Battle
Mere Christianity
Savior Generals
Sherlock Holmes collection of short stories
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The Federalist Papers
A Texas Cowboy, or, Fifteen Years on the Hurricane Deck of a Spanish Pony
Two Years Before The Mast
With The Old Breed
Lonesome Dove
Storm of  Steel
Blood Red Snow
Going Home
One Second After
Legionnaire - 5  Years in the French Foreign  Legion
Lights Out
Blood Meridian
Enemies: Foreign and Domestic
The Grapes of  Wrath
Treasure Island
A Study In Scarlet
Chickenhawk
Johnny Got His Gun
Crow  Killer
All Quiet On The Western Front
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Starship Troopers
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The Forgotten Soldier
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Im similar age to op. The fact that he/she has never read a book is terrifying. And I’m not a big reader
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
As an FYI, once you start reading good books. You will realize how misspent the last 35 years of your life was…….
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Last Centurion by John Ringo

www.amazon.com/dp/1439132917
View Quote

Not literature, but a good read.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm 44 yrs old and I can't remember reading a book my whole adult life, with the exception of technical manuals - of which I have read many.

Any tips on one thats a "can't miss" kind of book?  Like a book that is nearly universally well reviewed?  I don't want to start out with some kind of shiity book where I am doomed for failure. I like watching movies about planned robberies, clever heists, detective stuff.  Not too into sci fi.
View Quote

Bible…
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The Martian by Andy Weir

The Mass Effect books by Drew Karpyshyn are good too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thread is depressing. Any given moment I have 3 books being read, more in the wings waiting. My house, vehicle, bathroom are all libraries. I have to throttle myself when I go to libraries, I want to walk out with a stack of books I can't carry.
View Quote

Your nominations for the guys first book in 25 years are successfully tallied. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Current read is Skybreak by Mike Guardia.
Previous was The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe.(an easy, but fascinating book to read)
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Henry David Thoreau  " Walden "  this is a book that is written so eloquently you can feel and taste the water as it turns to ice. one of America's best authors.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Dostoyevsky: Crime and Punishment, Demons
McCammon: Boy's Life
Dumas: The Count of Monte Christo
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:13:42 AM EDT
[#20]

At a minimum read the first 100 or so pages. It covers the history of gun culture in America.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't recall the last book I've finished.

Currently half way through east of eden.
It is beautifully written and painfully descriptive.  

I did get to the 4th or 5th game of thrones book.  The series is decent, but the character names are all very similar and it gets a bit confusing after awhile to keep up with who is doing what.   Since it jumps around from different characters perspectives.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So many great books but for some reason the first one that came to mind is “Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West, written by Stephen Ambrose”
View Quote

Outstanding book.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can't recall the last book I've finished.

Currently half way through east of eden.
It is beautifully written and painfully descriptive.  

I did get to the 4th or 5th game of thrones book.  The series is decent, but the character names are all very similar and it gets a bit confusing after awhile to keep up with who is doing what.   Since it jumps around from different characters perspectives.

View Quote

Brian McClellan is awesome, I might start there... same, but different.
Mark Lawrence too.
Brandon Sanderson. Same genre, easy reading. His big epic is the way of kings. It drags a bit.
Throw in Larry correia black sword which I love, or monster hunter whatever for fun,  and even the star wars thrawn books.
All are fun and easy reading.
Edit. Will wight has to be in there for easy reading fantasy as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Excellent suggestion.

Also +1 on Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels.

You might also enjoy "Flight of the Old Dog" by Dale Brown.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you want to start out with a full novel or a shorter 150-190 page paperback type book? If the latter, most any Louis L'Amour western.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want to use your imagination, read Dune or The Hobbit.

If you want to read a fascinating book loosely based on historical events, read Shogun by James Clavell.

If you have trouble sleeping, read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Seriously, it was a torturous read but I feel enriched having read it.

If you want an allegorical interpretation of current events, read 1984.

If you like long winded diatribes that have modern relevance, read Unintended Consequences or Atlas Shrugged. Unintended Consequences has guns and rape, so take that for what it’s worth (might spice things up a bit).

If you like Science Fiction, I already mentioned Dune but also anything by the greatest science fiction writer of all time - Arthur C. Clarke. No, seriously, if you only read one book by ACC, make sure it’s Childhood’s End.

If you want to start off slow with an easy read, that brings us back to 1984.

If you want to start off slow but like history, anything by Bill O’Reilly or Brian Kilmeade will do.

If you really, really need to start off slow I suggest “I had trouble getting to Solla Sollew” by Dr. Seuss. I recommend this book for anyone age 8-80. He does a masterful job of reinterpreting Frederich Nietzcschie’s “To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering” with the following verse:

“I’ve had troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I’ve got a big bat and I’m ready you see.
All of my troubles will have trouble with me”

BUT LISTEN - if you haven’t read Treasure Island, leave this forum and read it now. Yeah it’s a kid’s book, but if you haven’t read it you don’t know basic literature. I’m 53 and not only re-read it last year, but just made my 18 yo son sit through Treasure Planet for the umpteenth time. I love that book.

My top five books of all time:
1) Treasure Island
2) Dune
3) Shogun
4) Childhood’s End
5) The Hobbit

I also went through Tom Clancy and Steven King phases back in the 80’s but they didn’t make the cut. But if you’re interested, I suggest Hunt for Red October by Clancy and Christine by King.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Harry Turtledove's Guns of the south or The world war series
Alas Babylon
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't read anything but history for years, usually military history.  

My absolute favorite so far has been "The Last Stand of Fox Company" about some beleaguered marines in Korea.  They kick some serious chinese ass.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dreams of my father.
View Quote

Is that different than Dreams FROM my father that FBO wrote?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#30]
OP find a book in an area that interest you. I read mostly books about guns, wars, cars and racing because that interests me most. I also read some books that get recommended her a lot like One Second After.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Something by Tom Clancey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#32]
At one time I had a list of every book I read, not sure what I did with the list.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
A simple path to weath

How a second grader beats wall street

Little red book on common sense investing

When violence is the answer

12 rules for life

If you want some fun light reading i have enjoyed the Monster Hunters Internatiinal books.

I should read more but working on a bath remodel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#35]
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Rogue warrior       Thank me later.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#37]
For fun, the Harry Turtledove guns of the south series. For a foreshadowing of the times :
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Not political/war etc., but "The Great Gatsby" is an excellent book, fairly short, easy language, and brilliant use of language.

Whole book:

https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01001395/Centricity/Domain/7935/Gatsby_PDF_FullText.pdf

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Mitch rapp series
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Devil in the White City
View Quote

I like Eric Larson but this isn't my favorite of his. The book attempts to tie two stories (a mass murderer and the Chicago world exposition) together, but they never really mesh, except for the two tales happening at the same time. Don’t get me wrong, both parts of the story are interesting and well written but they never came together for me. If you like Eric Larson's style, "Dead Wake" (about the Luistania) is a better read, in my opinion.

I do like history books like that, though. They're my favorite kind of read: true stories, the lesser-known or more personal the better.

Probably one of the better true history books that would be good for the OP to start off with is "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe. It's about the astronaut program, and yes, they made a movie out of it.

Another good one is "The Indianapolis" by Lynn Vincent. Remember the old salty boat captain in "Jaws" describing a ship sinking where a bunch of his fellow soldiers died from sharks? Well, this is the real story.

I also enjoyed "Manhunt" which was about the 12-day hunt for John Wilkes Booth after he shot Lincoln.

Along those same lines, I liked "Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President" by Candice Millard. It tells the story about the assassination of James Garfield and how his doctors basically ended up killing him. Fascinating story. Did you know that Abe Lincolns kid was present at three different assassination attempts? How weird is that?

"The Patriots" is a good read about the men who started the American Revolution

I enjoyed "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI" by David Grann, but it's probably too "liberal" for an ARFcom audience.

Sort of a different one that I found interesting was "The Oregon Trail" by Rinker Buck. Some dude decides to recreate the western journey on the Oregon Trail. He builds/buys a wagon, gets a team of mules and heads out. Part adventure, part history, part self-realization story. Good read.

If history is a bit much for your first book, maybe start with some light, humorous fiction. Almost anything written by Carl Hiaasen will be a page turner and the humor fits right in with the ARFcom sensibility. Hilarious characters who commit ridiculous crimes that have to be solved by flawed but likable heroes (that reappear from book to book). Every one makes fun of Florida.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#42]
The Dan Brown books are pretty fun and easy reads.

Brothers Karamazov when you wanna dig into a big book
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Y’all will laugh, but I will add the entire Harry Potter series.

I had never read it until my oldest was in middle school and watched the movies.

The books are much better than any of the movies in the series.

They are an easy read and it gave me great discussions with my daughter on the differences.
Once you get started on them, they are hard to put down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Animal farm

You can read it in two days (it's a short book), it's dirt cheap, and everyone on earth should read it.

www.amazon.com/dp/0451526341
View Quote

This is what came to my mind when I read the OP.

Good call.

The parallels between the book and our present day government will give you pause. Right down to blaming an external, disgraced bogeyman for the destruction of the windmill.

It should be on every high school reading list.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm 44 yrs old and I can't remember reading a book my whole adult life, with the exception of technical manuals - of which I have read many.

Any tips on one thats a "can't miss" kind of book?  Like a book that is nearly universally well reviewed?  I don't want to start out with some kind of shiity book where I am doomed for failure. I like watching movies about planned robberies, clever heists, detective stuff.  Not too into sci fi.
View Quote

Same, except I'm 40.

I've tried a few time, fuck that noise I've got better things to do.

I do listen to a ton of audio books, all non fiction though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Man, some of these recommendations. Hasn’t read a book as an adult and your advice is to start with Neal Stephenson? Yeah, that’ll go well.

My two would be Devil in the White City, if you’d like to learn about a fascinating true story in a really interesting time in America, or The Martian if you want fiction. Both are extremely entertaining, interesting, and fun to read.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Almost panicked until I saw your explanation.  I get it.  I daily read about my trade & updates, so many would think—in this age, at least—why would you read more?

If you like spy/action movie: Vince Flynn’s series about Mitch Rapp are like crack.  The authors who picked up after the fact, not so much….

If you like “what if/alternate history,” Harry Turtledove’s book on “Guns of the South,” and alternate history of the South winning the Civil War & affect on WWI is cool.  He’s painfully descriptive at times, but i really enjoyed his series.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Killing Patton
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mein Kampf
View Quote

Really?

I found it a series of rambling non sequiturs.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top