Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]

I just visited Pearl for the first time not even 3 months ago , very sombering experience. It's what got my great grandfather to enlist in the navy at the age of 16 to go fight. When the recruiter asked if he was over the age of 18 he was able to say yes because he had a piece of paper with 18 written on it in the bottom of his shoe. So technically he was above 18. Served aboard the USS Bunker Hill and was aboard when it was hit by kamikazes, spent several hours with the sharks before he was picked up. Still have the knife and a piece of a Jap Zero he grabbed while in the water. He always talked about how cold the Pacific was.

Apparently during the kamikaze attack the AA fire was so thick you could "walk on it"
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Last time I posted one of these GD toll me to get over it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a chilly December day, many Said there was a nip in the air.
View Quote

One of my dad's four brothers was Army Air Corps, flying C-47 transports, out of Australia during the war.  He used to tell the story of how he once actually "saw" a little nip in the air.  He was flying a load of wounded Japanese POW's, from one island to another in the South Pacific. The prisoners were strapped to cots in the back of the plane when one of the guards noticed one prisoner moving his hands around under the sheets covering him.

The guard ripped back the sheet and discovered the prisoner trying to pull the pin on a live hand grenade.  He grabbed the grenade and threw it out the open door of the plane.  He and another guard then picked up the prisoners cot, with him still strapped to it, and threw it out the door after the grenade.

Uncle Herb always chuckled about having actually seen a little nip in the air.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The original strike assessment sketch drawn by and presented to Emperor Hirohito in person by lead pilot of the attack Commander Mitsuo Fuchida in a briefing three weeks afterwards (says December 8th because the IJN used Tokyo time wherever they were):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/article-2541293-1ABB873900000578-259_964-2195194.JPG

A bombing instructor, then carrier combat veteran against the Chinese, made CAG of Akagi in 1939, Fuchida led Japanese torpedo bombers on the first wave of the attack on Pearl Harbor and personally issued the "Tora! Tora! Tora!" radio message, indicating complete surprise achieved.  He remained aloft to observe the second wave and begin his BDA and returned his aircraft to the carrier with 21 flak damage holes and a vital control cable parted by all but one strand, making him a national hero.  He was granted an incredibly rare audience with the emperor where he presented the sketch above.

Temporarily grounded by illness, Fuchida was wounded at Midway on Akagi's bridge, permanently medically grounded as a result of his wounds he spent the rest of the war doing staff work.  He was ordered out of Tinian two weeks before it fell and all his co-workers there committed ritual suicide.  He was called away from a conference in Hiroshima the day before it was destroyed by the first atom bomb, vaporizing all of his coworkers.  He returned the day after as part of a damage assessment team, a somber mirror image of his prideful strike assessment of 1941.  All of the Hiroshima damage assessment team except Fuchida shortly died of radiation exposure and he was hospitalized.  He got out just in time to attend the surrender ceremony aboard the Missouri.

While scratching a living as a chicken farmer he was called to testify at a war crimes trial which infuriated him with evidence of widespread Japanese torture and murder of POW's.  Determined to present evidence at the next trial that the US was no better he went to meet a friend returning from a POW camp in Colorado, but his friend described good treatment and told him how he had been befriended by a nurse whose missionary parents were beheaded by Japanese troops occupying the Philippines.

All his preconceptions shattered, Fuchida was passing through a train station when he was handed the pamphlet "I Was a Prisoner of Japan" by Doolittle Raid bombardier Jacob DeShazer, who was captured during the 1943 raid and subjected to 34 months of torture and solitary confinement by the Japanese while three of his crew were executed and one died of starvation.  DeShazer became a devout Christian late in his captivity and resolved to do missionary work in Japan after the war.  DeShazer felt guilt for the 50 Japanese killed and 400 wounded by the Doolittle Raid, some of whom were civilians, and in 1948 he had returned to Japan to preach mercy and forgiveness, starting with the pamphlet in Fuchida's hand and later building a church in the city he bombed, Nagoya.  Fuchida was moved to read the bible, converted to Christianity and befriended DeShazer, and spent the rest of his life as a missionary.
View Quote

What book is this from??
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The fifth fleet was HUGE.  My god we were once a force to be feared.

https://www.history.navy.mil/about-us/leadership/director/directors-corner/h-grams/h-gram-057/h-057-1.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I couldn't believe how many Japanese were at the Arizona and Pearl Harbor memorials when I went.

Also the amount of disrespectful choads.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I often wondered why did the United States have most of the Pacific Fleet moored in the same port? They must of had some inkling what was going on in the Pacific.

Of course the war did get us out of the Great Depression.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What book is this from??
View Quote

From Pearl Harbor to Calvary, Mitsuo Fuchida with forward by Florence Deshazer
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I thought they emptied her of her oil?
View Quote

Not as of 2017 when I snapped that pic. If they have since then, I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent story, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]

80 years ago today...even those who witnessed this event as children are old men and women now.
Cherish them, for they alone personally know the horrors of that day.

RIP to the fallen and Peace be with the soldiers and survivors who lived thru that day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not as of 2017 when I snapped that pic. If they have since then, I don't know.
View Quote

Still definitely leaking , tour guide made no mention of it being emptied.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow. 80 years.
A good friend of mine had an uncle on the Arizona. He goes every few years to see his uncles name on the memorial. My friends father was the twin brother of the uncle that died in the attack. He was on a destroyer in the Pacific during the war. He always had some crazy stories to tell.
View Quote

I also had a friend who had an Uncle die on the Arizona. His last name was Hosler.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Attack on Pearl Harbor 1941

One of the best breakdowns of the attack I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cz9gtMTeI

View Quote

Watching now, good share, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I often wondered why did the United States have most of the Pacific Fleet moored in the same port? They must of had some inkling what was going on in the Pacific.
View Quote

It was meant to be a show of force and a deterrent to Japan.  The US expected that any attack would take place in the Philippines, and Pearl Harbor would allow a faster response if such an attack took place.  Pearl Harbor was nevertheless still very much a "rear area" in case of war against Japan.  Prior to the attack, no one in the US (or any western power, for that matter) gave even a thought to the idea that Japan might have the capability or audacity to carry out an attack at such a great distance from their home bases - it was certainly the longest distance a Japanese fleet had ever attacked from their bases of supply, and may have been the longest-ranged attack ANY naval fleet had ever conducted up to that point.  Battleships were still considered the primary instrument of Naval Power (even by the Japanese, who tried to preserve their battleships for much of the war awaiting their chance to use them in a decisive battle against the US Fleet), and any surface attack against Hawaii would have been suicidal.

Remember, the reason Pearl Harbor is so well known today is that it was such a shock at the time.  If it wasn't, it wouldn't hold its place in the American psyche today.

Mike

ETA:  The Pacific Fleet had been moved to Pearl Harbor in April 1940, over a year before the attack.  Japan had been at war in China since 1937, and relations had been poor between the US and Japan since at least 1939.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#21]
F*ck Tojo and F*ck FDR.

May the sailors, marines and soldiers who perished there RIP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/H85BMrz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iIYrCJh.jpg

I just visited Pearl for the first time not even 3 months ago , very sombering experience. It's what got my great grandfather to enlist in the navy at the age of 16 to go fight. When the recruiter asked if he was over the age of 18 he was able to say yes because he had a piece of paper with 18 written on it in the bottom of his shoe. So technically he was above 18. Served aboard the USS Bunker Hill and was aboard when it was hit by kamikazes, spent several hours with the sharks before he was picked up. Still have the knife and a piece of a Jap Zero he grabbed while in the water. He always talked about how cold the Pacific was.

Apparently during the kamikaze attack the AA fire was so thick you could "walk on it"
View Quote

That’s awesome, do you have a picture of the piece of plane?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His videos on Midway are the best on the internet IMO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought they emptied her of her oil?
View Quote

Nope.  The park service did an assessment of the remaining oil in her tanks and the condition of the hull and decided any attempt to remove the oil might result in a catastrophic release so they decided to leave it alone for now.  They continue to monitor the condition of the hull and if it appears the hull may collapse, then they might attempt removal.  It's not hurting anything right now so there's really no need to do anything about it.

The solution to pollution is dilution and all that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Every year seems more and more people forget

As a society we are less and less deserving of what my grandfather's generation had to endure and accomplish
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That guy does great work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#33]

My allergies are acting up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#34]
My ex-wife was born 12/7... I shoulda known that she would turn out to be a duplicitous bitch... just like the japs that attacked Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Last time I posted one of these GD toll me to get over it.
View Quote

But at least we have a few pages of which Chinese optics
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#36]
The Tree of Life

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]
My Dad was on the Vestal anchored along side the Arizona.

RIP Dad.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

-Jeffery Cox - Rising Sun, Falling Skies.

And my favorite story from the day, even if it was a doomed effort.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJ98mkVQ/uss-nevada-attempts-escape-from-pearl-80g32558.jpg
View Quote

Good ship. She made it through Pearl, D-Day, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. Even two A-bombs couldn't put her down at Bikini Atoll.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I want to sincerely apologize to everyone one of the brave soldiers that lost their lives that day.  

I am sorry that the boomers have fucked this country up so badly.  I hope it makes you feel slightly better that some of us still recognize the sacrifice you made for the greatest country in the world.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#40]
The 80th Anniversary Of Pearl Harbor At USS Texas
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Pearl Harbour - Context, History, and an account from someone who was there
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#42]

That is awesome!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
USS Ward and the first shots fired in anger at Pearl Harbor:
USS Ward and the First Shots of Pearl Harbor

First look at Japanese submarine sunk before it reached Pearl Harbor
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My Dad was on the Vestal anchored along side the Arizona.

RIP Dad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413/E44D8DE5-2A80-44AD-B496-953E211F7A71-383709.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All his preconceptions shattered, Fuchida was passing through a train station when he was handed the pamphlet "I Was a Prisoner of Japan" by Doolittle Raid bombardier Jacob DeShazer, who was captured during the 1943 raid and subjected to 34 months of torture and solitary confinement by the Japanese while three of his crew were executed and one died of starvation.  DeShazer became a devout Christian late in his captivity and resolved to do missionary work in Japan after the war.  DeShazer felt guilt for the 50 Japanese killed and 400 wounded by the Doolittle Raid, some of whom were civilians, and in 1948 he had returned to Japan to preach mercy and forgiveness, starting with the pamphlet in Fuchida's hand and later building a church in the city he bombed, Nagoya.  Fuchida was moved to read the bible, converted to Christianity and befriended DeShazer, and spent the rest of his life as a missionary.
View Quote

Fuchida same to speak at our church in 1961 and met my father (^^) as mentioned above at Pearl that day
My childhood Bible is signed by him in both English and Japanese as Capt Mitsuo Fuchida
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Of course the war did get us out of the Great Depression.
View Quote

Doctrine held that you kept your battleships together, and the rest of the ships were supposed to support the battleships.  There wasn’t another port close by that would still allow the ships to assemble and support each other.

Kimmel had been ordered to keep at least one battleship division at sea at all times but failed to do so.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Descent into Darkness: Pearl Harbor, 1941: A Navy Diver's Memoirby Edward C. Raymer

Great book that details the immediate rescue efforts and salvage of the fleet in the weeks and months after the attack.

His accounts of salvaging munitions from the Arizona and the failed attempts to remove the dead are especially chilling.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

80 years ago today...even those who witnessed this event as children are old men and women now.
Cherish them, for they alone personally know the horrors of that day.

RIP to the fallen and Peace be with the soldiers and survivors who lived thru that day.
View Quote

My GF's 90-something cousin was 7 years old at the time of the attack and she still vividly recalls the details of the day. GF was born on Oahu during the war and remembers growing up listening to stories from her older relatives who were there. Her late father was on a small fishing boat during the attack. A detail that stood out for him was that he remembered seeing the face of the pilot of a low-flying Zero.

RIP my Father and FIL who were both Pacific sailors.

My Dad drove landing craft and was wounded during a Kamikaze attack on his ship. My FIL had a heavy cruiser shot out from under him at the Battle of Savo Island.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I couldn't believe how many Japanese were at the Arizona and Pearl Harbor memorials when I went.

Also the amount of disrespectful choads.
View Quote

My grandfather was a Marine during WWII. Up until he could not get around easily he was very active with his Marine group and they took lots of trips as a group. I remember my grandmother telling us about one of their trips to HI and a visit to Pearl. They said there were a bunch of Japanese and they were pointing and laughing. She said the men were livid and wanted to go over and beat them up but they kept their cool.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top