Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Previous owners bought one for our first year. The only thing particularly useful was when the garbage disposal was replaced and when our attic heat pump's drain line leaked.

We had other HVAC problems and the techs basically said the repairs we could have were just band-aids. When our downstairs heat pump exchanger basically exploded the company said we could either take a check ($1k?) or they could give us basically a 15 year refurbished unit that would suck. We took the check and bought a brand new Trane unit. But getting like $1k or so showed us it wouldn't be worth it to extend the home warranty once it expired.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
OP they are junk! My neighbor has one. They contract with the cheapest possible companies. They gave him a refurbed Goodman AC unit after his unit couldn’t be fixed and he’s had several repair visits after. Nothing but problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't needed one with either house I bought.

I provided one for a house I sold at rape rape pricing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
damn... got one with my 55 year old house

AC unit was from 1988. Went out my first summer here in 2017 when I was having my hips replaced at 30 years old.

I got a completely new AC system. No name looking brands on anything but the old system was literally as old as I was so whatever.

I was out $250 out of pocket, completely replaced in 1 week from it dying. Its been 3-4 years now no issues. I didnt renew after the second year just due to being able to fix most things myself.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience, home warranty companies seem to only hire shitbag, bottom-feeding contractors. The pay is for shit so the better contractors don’t bother working with them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ours have been a breeze to work with.  $75 per call.  Think it costs around $1,000 a year, but we have a lot of coverage.

2-10 is the name of the company.
View Quote
You regularly have more than $1000 + X*$75 in appliance repair costs a year?   Seems like an edge case, unlike most people that would be better off saving the $1k a year somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ours have been a breeze to work with.  $75 per call.  Think it costs around $1,000 a year, but we have a lot of coverage.

2-10 is the name of the company.
View Quote

Are you coming out ahead after paying $1000 a year?

What repairs have you done so far with the warranty?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy's bulldog pissed all over the outside AC coil and ate it up; his home warranty replaced it with no problem.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In your experience, are they worth it?  Are claims a nightmare?
View Quote

They're all garbage.

If your AC dies, they'll get the most desperate, tweaked-out 1 star flatbiller to throw in the cheapest Chinese parts to get it creaking along again.  Maybe.

If your water heater dies, you'll get the absolute cheapest replacement, thrown in by the same dude as above.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont bother
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
HWA is terrible. Had a roof leak. They canceled my claim multiple times without any communication or reason. Finally, six month later I was able to get them to admit "we dont have any roofers in your area"

Complete waste of time.

During covid they were not accepting any claims!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently had some experience w/ Home Warranty of America (HWA).  HWA called, said a customer's electrical panel was leaking water so I drove over, pulled the cover and discovered it was condensation.  Warm air from outside was infiltrating the panel thru the 2" conduit between the panel and exterior meter socket.  We typically seal it with duct seal.

Panel, breakers, buss showed signs of corrosion so I wrote up a proposal to replace and emailed.  Weeks go by, they called looking for the proposal so I send it again.  Weeks go by, another call looking for the proposal so I send it yet again.

Finally after a couple of months they call to say it's been approved.  They email my proposal back w/no signature.  So I call and say someone needs to sign this.  We don't sign proposals.  Then I don't do the work.  Finally she signs it so I call to say I need a CC to insure payment.  We pay by check.  I said that's fine but I still need a CC on file just in case.

That takes a couple of days to get.  Finally I replace the panel

Now, in the middle of all of this waiting HWA sends out a mass email to all contractors asking if they are still interested in doing work for HWA.  The person who sent it out didn't do a BCC (blind carbon copy) so everyone can see everyone's email.  Contractors start Replying All  The majority of responses were, "Hell NO!! How about you pay me for the work I've already done?"  When I saw that that's when I demanded a CC

The customer says she has used the warranty several times w/out a problem
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a policy for under 2k bundled into my mortgage on a new construction purchase in Texas Jan 2016. It paid out close to 40K in foundation repairs summer 2019.

I did however have a lengthy papertrail of trying to have it resolved with the builder and numerous engineer reports on hand.

Personally wouldn't lift a phone over something like an appliance. Most things are too easy to fix if you can use a multimeter and own basic tools.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a guy at work that was without AC for 33 days in a Kentucky summer ducking around with his home warranty company.  I would have had a couple window shakers by day 2 and would have called any HVAC guy in the book by day 5.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If most of the people buying it came out ahead, they wouldn't sell it.

Allocate your monies accordingly.

I think any type of insurance is worthless unless a really big thing happens.  So if you can buy a policy that only covers, say, problems over $5000 or something, that might be worth it (for peace of mind), assuming they were reasonable about the claims.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
No personal experience, but grandmother bought one and has had nothing but hell trying to get them to do ANY work.

They send out the lowest priced "handyman" they can find, then don't pay him, and he's chasing you for money.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top