Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
To steal a quote from Shepherd Book: "I don't care what you believe, just believe it."

America needs more Christians, whether they're catholics, lutherans, or other. We're all on the same side.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are curious to learn - RCIA can be very hit or miss.  An issue in the Catholic Church, is while we all attend the same mass - many have vary different views of the Catholic Faith.  

I will point out one, because it is one I like - sex.  The people who teach the Catholic faith tend to be all over the place on this subject.  Nun's, especially when teaching girls, tend to love to teach sex is bad.  Outside of wedlock, it is pure evil - and will send you strait to hell.  Inside of wedlock, it is only acceptable as the marital duty (which makes it a required chore of the faith, but one to be avoided and disliked).  Now Pope John Paul the Great - he had a few things to say about the Catholic theory of sex.  He said it was essentially the second greatest gift that God gave humans (salvation through Jesus Christ being the first).  Through sex, we share in creation with God.  Sex is the closest humans can come on Earth to the communion that is in Heaven.  The Trinity is mirrored thought the act of martial sex - where man, woman, and God become one, and a miracle of creation can happen.  It is a form of communion, and one of the most Holy things we can participate in.  Now depending on where you take RCIA, good luck in them teaching Pope John Paul's Theology of the Body.  50/50 they will not only fail to teach it, but will actually instruct something that goes against Catholic Canon.  My humble opinion is that Pope John Paul the Great believed that it was essentially the Unified Theory of Faith.  More likely, if it is addressed at all in RCIA - they will mention the Churches position on birth control, and teach mental gymnastics on how to get around it.  About the only worse mental gymnastics they might teach is the Churches position on confession and sin - and once again, how to get around it.

Anyway, If you like to read, get a book on Theology of the Body and see how you feel about it.  Depending on the age of your wife, odds are she has never heard of it - and corrupted teaching of the Churches position on sex might be one of the things that your wife dislikes about the Catholic Church (and well she should if she is a sane person)..  
---
The churches teaching on guns is also all over the place.  Many Priests will probably be against them, as well as many Bishops - but I have also heard a Priest all but say all Catholics should be armed.  He said that it is a sacred duty for us to protect those who can not protect themselves - and how can you do that if you refuse the tools necessary to do it.  Especially as a male, our duty is to protect or wife's and family - don't shrink on your duty out of cowardess.  That said, he did say it is ok not to protect yourself - that is your decision.  It is not ok to fail to protect others.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But still the same liturgy, ethnic traditions, and underlying theology—a few fine points excepted.  Do not blanketly disregard your Ruthinian brothers and sisters.
View Quote

Oh are you of the “Orthodox in communion with Rome?” mindset?

Blech. My interactions in person with such have been overwhelmingly negative, right down to multiple Byzantine Rite Catholics pretending to be Orthodox. They were downright deceptive about it. I didn’t have a negative opinion of them before these interactions. Now I do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But you know every Catholic Priest. You really believe with a congregation of 100 the priest can identify every individual by voice and sin?  I read this whole thread. One thing I’m gathering is that you are just an a$$hole bent on destruction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't tell if you even *want* to be honest and serious about this. You are just barely interacting with the meaning of the text I'm posting, it's like trying to discuss gun control with someone from cnn.

Again, how does the priest NOT know who's confessing? Even if the priest didn't, how dumb would they have to be to not put the details together from what's confessed and figure out which of his people belong to whatever confession ? These are not rhetorical questions, you seem to be saying the priests can't know who is who. If you are, I'd really like to know why you think that.

Beyond that, even if it were true that the priest couldn't know who made what confession (and I don't for a second believe they don't), the people in that church know he does, and that alone is ripe for abuse by the priests, and they *are* fallible humans.

So, do you normally accuse people of blackmail and extortion on the basis of no valid or reasonable evidence, or is this a not very often thing for you? ... you just accused me doing what I was talking about, merely and only on the basis of the fact that I'm talking about the subject.

That's no better than if one of the jurors accused KR of murder because he had a gun.

Now you know what I think?!?!?

You're not even interacting with what I'm posting, you're talking to the fictional stereotype in your head. What you've just posted here can't be proven from what I posted, you're just assuming it.

No, I’m interacting with a demented individual who cannot even support his own positions and who thus needs to resort to defection and ignores actual points being made
Here's a silver platter invitation to use the quote button and show how the meaning of the text that I posted requires this position. Don't just state this.

Prove it from what I posted.

I want you to.

Lol. Dude you are deranged. You bitch at people having the temerity to tell you what you believe as you do the exact same to others. Step out of the thread, have a drink, and go to bed—or do you want to make it interesting and go to the pit. Invite everyone in this thread along and they all get to vote. Loser leaves the site.
No, I'm not going to be a good little boy and go away when you want me to.

You made the accusations without giving any reasons to believe them.

You didn't do so for any good reason. You cannot begin to show how what you've accused me of is true with even the tiniest shred of honesty and forthrightness. You made the accusation here. You don't know me from adam's housecat, so the only valid way you could have done so is based off the meaning of the text I posted.

But you know every Catholic Priest. You really believe with a congregation of 100 the priest can identify every individual by voice and sin?  I read this whole thread. One thing I’m gathering is that you are just an a$$hole bent on destruction.
I don't know every rcc priest and what I posted does not require me to know every priest to know it. If you disagree with this, than go quote the thing you think I can't possibly know without knowing every rcc priest and show how I can't have known that.

It was said that there is nothing in the rcc faith/system that inherently leads to the well known abuse problems. That is false and destructive to people to believe.

As far as the "identify every individual in a congregation of 100" - I never posted that or anything that means that. Bad actors don't even have to be able to do that to abuse the system to pick off people to victimize.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LoL!
View Quote

At all of his......
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I love you Marie, but the Russian Orthodox Church Cowtows to Moscow... & the KGB.
View Quote

I’m Antiochian/OCA. OCA doesn’t kowtow to anyone. We govern ourselves.

And yes Moscow kowtows to the Russian government. The RO can’t break with its history of kowtowing to govt period.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... and they can't hear the voice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't tell if you even *want* to be honest and serious about this. You are just barely interacting with the meaning of the text I'm posting, it's like trying to discuss gun control with someone from cnn.

Again, how does the priest NOT know who's confessing? Even if the priest didn't, how dumb would they have to be to not put the details together from what's confessed and figure out which of his people belong to whatever confession ? These are not rhetorical questions, you seem to be saying the priests can't know who is who. If you are, I'd really like to know why you think that.

Beyond that, even if it were true that the priest couldn't know who made what confession (and I don't for a second believe they don't), the people in that church know he does, and that alone is ripe for abuse by the priests, and they *are* fallible humans.

Well, since he can't actually see the person confessing, if would be interesting for him to be able to infer that little Bobby masturbates, especially considering that Joey, Steven, And Tommy do too; or that it specifically was Susan who slept with the milkman.

Then again, surely people will be more accountable when they *super duper totally confessed* all of their sins to Jesus Christ himself directly without any sort of couseling or direction on how to mprove their spiritual life.

You have some very strange anxieties about my faith, things I’ve never encountered or even heard of.
I’ll say this about the medium size (250k) city we live in. There are at least a dozen churches. Many of them have more than one priest. Different churches hear confessions at different times and days. I can’t remember the last time I went to confession at my actual parish. It’s usually one that’s 10 minutes the other way since the time is more convenient for me. I typically go to mass at one of 3 different churches depending on our schedules. In a year I might attend at least a half dozen churches in my city. I’ll admit in my younger days not wanting to confess the same thing, premarital sex, to the same priest over and over. I went to a different confessor out of embarrassment not because I was worried about him telling on me/us.
What that priest hears in confession he takes to the grave.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And you keep defecting.  Any quotes I may present you will deny—that’s rather obvious—which is why I put it up to the third party observers to make that judgement. If you were secure in your position, you would not run from it, so obviously you are not. I’m willing to throw myself on their judgement but you are not, which means your faith is weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about? Multiple posters in this thread have pointed this out. That you defect shows that even you are not confident in your position.  Okay. Forget the pit. Let’s have a vote here and now from everyone in this thread—which of the two of us has held a rational position and which one has had an irrational position? Loser leaves the thread

You posted this accusation:

Quoted:

No, I’m interacting with a demented individual who cannot even support his own positions and who thus needs to resort to defection and ignores actual points being made

Which is false.

I asked you to prove it based on what I posted and do so being forthright and honest.

You have so far refused to.

And you keep defecting.  Any quotes I may present you will deny—that’s rather obvious—which is why I put it up to the third party observers to make that judgement. If you were secure in your position, you would not run from it, so obviously you are not. I’m willing to throw myself on their judgement but you are not, which means your faith is weak.
What do you mean by "defecting" ?

If it is obvious that I will "deny", whatever you quote, than it's easy to show how you "know" I will deny it.

I gave you an invitation to explain why people should believe what you said based off of the text of what I posed. You are now posting excuses for not doing that.

I am not running from what the text I posted means. I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that, given I'm asking you to quote me and interact with its meaning forthrightly and honestly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And yes Moscow kowtows to the Russian government. The RO can’t break with its history of kowtowing to govt period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love you Marie, but the Russian Orthodox Church Cowtows to Moscow... & the KGB.

Understand. Thank you for the clarification.

So, the Eastern Orthodox aren't a homogeneous group, like most think. I would probably Antiochian if I was Eastern, but I am a Latin Rite Catholic. So, no need to leave.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm Antiochian/OCA. OCA doesn't kowtow to anyone. We govern ourselves.

And yes Moscow kowtows to the Russian government. The RO can't break with its history of kowtowing to govt period.
View Quote
I used to live next door to an Maronite Church (I assume it is similar to Antiochian, accept in full union with the Church of Rome).  Evening Vespers were beautiful when the wind was right and the sound would carry to my house (I think there mass is in Aramaic).  One Church I attended tried to continue that tradition - Sunday night Vespers were led by a Latin Choir (they were very good).  When I had the time, it was a great way to end/start a week.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Here’s what I don’t get, and would like to understand. I’ve asked Catholic friends, and in always goes poorly.

How is Mary an intercessor?

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

I expect it to go about as well here. I’m seriously trying to understand.

Southern Baptist here.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used to live next door to an Maronite Church (I assume it is similar to Antiochian, accept in full union with the Church of Rome).  Evening Vespers were beautiful when the wind was right and the sound would carry to my house.  One Church I attended tried to continue that tradition - Sunday night Vespers were led by a Latin Choir (they were very good).  When I had the time, it was a great way to end/start a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm Antiochian/OCA. OCA doesn't kowtow to anyone. We govern ourselves.

And yes Moscow kowtows to the Russian government. The RO can't break with its history of kowtowing to govt period.
I used to live next door to an Maronite Church (I assume it is similar to Antiochian, accept in full union with the Church of Rome).  Evening Vespers were beautiful when the wind was right and the sound would carry to my house.  One Church I attended tried to continue that tradition - Sunday night Vespers were led by a Latin Choir (they were very good).  When I had the time, it was a great way to end/start a week.

There is one in central Austin, that I have wanted to visit. Just have not had the time. I have heard they have a rich & beautiful liturgy.

I remember 2 years ago on the Feast of St Charbel, they invited all Catholics to celebrate & were giving out Holy oil from His sepulcher. We where out of town otherwise I would have been there in a heartbeat. St Charbel, pray for us.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If YOU were a priest or a coach or a psychiatrist, would YOU be more likely to abuse that power and abuse the vulnerable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was raised Catholic, abused by them, have abandoned AND become non-denominational.

I am sorry that you were abused by someone in the Faith. But, that is not the Faith.

I would implore you to try to reconcile with the Sacraments and study the Faith. I family that have been abused in other situations. It is the individual that did this perverted act.

Damn , abuse seems like a theme with that certain so called  “faith” by your own admission………

No, they weren't abused by priests or clergy. My mother and my sister is different situations as children. You all are projecting. There is just as big an issue, if not greater in Protestant churches. But there isn't a unified theme with them for an entity to go after. In fact, public schools have an underage sex abuse problem.

Eitherway.... it is NOT the Faith. These are sins for everyone. The priests have the Gift of Consecration and many other Blessings... but that just means they will be attacked more by Satan.

It *is* because of the rcc beliefs that priests can't be married, that you have to have priests in the confessional, learning all the sins of everyone who goes (meaning, by definition, if he finds any humans attractive, he is handed blackmail and extortion goods on a silver platter), and it is because the priests are held to have powers they don't have because they are said to be literally in the place of Christ on earth, and they can't lose that even if they're kicked out of the priesthood. There's also the problem that there's a tradition of saying priests can't be arrested (or something very like that) which is involved here.

All these things exacerbate the problems inherent in human nature since genesis 3. Until they are removed (and I cannot in any human way see that they ever will), the rcc institutions will continue to have problems with priests abusing their position.

Other systems that do not elevate those in power to the same extent, will not as a system enable the same sort of abuse.

We humans are screwed up and will abuse every single system, including the truth. Systems that make this easier will suffer worse from human corruption.

Really? So, marriage will stop adultery & pedophilia? Interesting. Good thing everyone that is married never does any perverse, adulterous things. Good to know. I will send a letter to the Vatican about it.

You are seriously ignorant on all these things. I realize you are trying to prove against my Faith and yours is better. But your worn out tropes are just sad.

God Bless
Seriously ignorant ... and yet I already explicitly posted that people will abuse every system. You're using a red herring distraction.

How does the fact that people abuse everything (which I explicitly said) change anything about the fact that the flaws I pointed at are present in the rcc system? Systems that do not have the same or equal flaws will not have those flaws exploited by people, because they're not there to exploit.

Rcc priests are not allowed to marry and are commanded to be celibate.

They have to take confession.

They know who is who.

They are human beings and the temptation to use their position is just as heavy for them as it would be for any other human being with the same level of position and power.

... and worse, those who do exploit it will be more enabled to exploit it against those who genuinely believe they have to use the confessional, because they are going to be the ones that lay their souls bare.

There’s that projection again.

It certainly sounds like you are suggesting that ALL people with access and opportunity to influence the vulnerable, are MORE LIKELY to do so, because of “temptation”…

Does this apply to psychiatrists, lawyers, coaches and counselors -or just priests?

Why do you behave like you can falsely accuse people of things ... things you have zero evidence for ... and not have anyone care or notice? Not rehtorical, why are you accusing me of doing these things? Do you think I don't know that "you're projecting" means "you do these things and because you do these things you accuse others of doing it?"

------------

Yes, all people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.

Yes, bad actors will seek all those positions in order to get what they want.

The more abusable the position and system, and the more widely know that the position exists and is exploitable, the more bad actors will try and get into those positions.

This applies everywhere it applies and applies equally.

If YOU were a priest or a coach or a psychiatrist, would YOU be more likely to abuse that power and abuse the vulnerable?
Do you know the difference between a situation that could be abused being there, and it not being there?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@basp2005?

Ste Anne of Detroit? Parish established about 1701 or a few year later. Second oldest continually operating parish in the US after St Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. Had French sermons until 1945
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to a Catholic wedding not to long ago.  It was enjoyable.  Didn't change my views on religion.  Cool architecture.
https://i.imgur.com/JJH2wv3.jpeg
I went with a friend who attended Catholic school as a child.  She was getting annoyed because I kept asking who all the people in the stained glass windows were.  She didn't know.

I think it was the oldest Catholic church in Detroit.

@basp2005?

Ste Anne of Detroit? Parish established about 1701 or a few year later. Second oldest continually operating parish in the US after St Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. Had French sermons until 1945
I'm pretty sure that was it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Last time I went to a Catholic mass, it was in Latin, which I was fine with, as two years of Latin held up well. Just visiting with a friend after a drunk.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which version? The one with 7 entire books removed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you check out a Catholic church and it appeals to you, I would suggest reading your Bible beginning to end before going back.

The Bible with all texts that have been agreed upon to have been divinely inspired.

Catholicism is not compatible with Christianity.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Mary...  Catholics believe that those who have gone before us can already be in Heaven (as apposed to some waiting room till the end of the world).  Just as most Christians believe they can ask for living people to pray (prayers of intercession) for us, we also believe that the Saints in Heaven can do the same.   So while Jesus is the way, others can ask Jesus for our us - intercession.  Once you get past this hurtle - who is better to ask for that intercession than Jesus's mother.  The biblical support for this is the Wedding Feast at Cana - where Mary told Jesus that they were out of wine.  Mary asked and Jesus acted (even though he said his time had not yet come).  
---
My house was directly behind the Maronite Church in Austin (I sold that house over 15 years ago - so I don't mind giving away its address-at most 3 houses fit that discription).  Once they built their school between the Church and my house - the sound did not carry anymore.  IIRC it was a beautiful Church and I did like the architecture as well.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm orthodox. I've been too quite a few catholic masses in my time. I'm shocked at how the parishioners dress. Many in your everyday street attire. Shorts, sneakers, etc. I've always worn a suit to church and tried to look my best. I was also surprised by the amount of times I heard the priest asking for money and donations. I thought the catholic church was wealthy? Catholic mass was underwhelming.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here’s what I don’t get, and would like to understand. I’ve asked Catholic friends, and in always goes poorly.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Southern Baptist here.

View Quote

This will take another thread I am afraid. It has to do with very many things. Such as She is the Ark of the Covenant, the Queen Mother, the New Eve as Jesus is the New Adam etc...

I would read "Jesus & the Jewish Roots of Mary" by Dr Brandt Pitre
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Bible with all texts that have been agreed upon to have been divinely inspired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you check out a Catholic church and it appeals to you, I would suggest reading your Bible beginning to end before going back.

That is such a silly and ignorant statement.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You have some very strange anxieties about my faith, things I’ve never encountered or even heard of.
I’ll say this about the medium size (250k) city we live in. There are at least a dozen churches. Many of them have more than one priest. Different churches hear confessions at different times and days. I can’t remember the last time I went to confession at my actual parish. It’s usually one that’s 10 minutes the other way since the time is more convenient for me. I typically go to mass at one of 3 different churches depending on our schedules. In a year I might attend at least a half dozen churches in my city. I’ll admit in my younger days not wanting to confess the same thing, premarital sex, to the same priest over and over. I went to a different confessor out of embarrassment not because I was worried about him telling on me/us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since he can't actually see the person confessing, if would be interesting for him to be able to infer that little Bobby masturbates, especially considering that Joey, Steven, And Tommy do too; or that it specifically was Susan who slept with the milkman.

Then again, surely people will be more accountable when they *super duper totally confessed* all of their sins to Jesus Christ himself directly without any sort of couseling or direction on how to mprove their spiritual life.

If you haven't heard anyone discussing the abuse problems in the RCC or the specifics of how the confessional box and celibacy combine to create temptation ... ok? Someone else in the thread brought it up. A false claim was made about it, which if believed leads people to put themselves in harms way. Specifically, that there's nothing in the rcc system/faith that has a hand in making the abuse problem worse.

I am aware that priests are not supposed to share that stuff with anyone else. I believe that it has to be harrowing to truly believe that you have to go to confession and bare it all to any other human being, because if you don't, you could die on a mortal sin and be in hell, forever, for not telling the priest about it. It's no wonder people don't go to confession consistently.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm orthodox. I've been too quite a few catholic masses in my time. I'm shocked at how the parishioners dress. Many in your everyday street attire. Shorts, sneakers, etc. I've always worn a suit to church and tried to look my best. I was also surprised by the amount of times I heard the priest asking for money and donations. I thought the catholic church was wealthy? Catholic mass was underwhelming.
View Quote

Horrid music compared with Orthodox chant.

“On Eagle’s Wings” or “Here I am Lord” next to Bortniansky? There is no competition.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree on the dress & $ requests. You don't hear or see that in Traditional Latin Masses.

The Norvus Ordo can definitely be underwhelming. So, can a low Mass for that matter. But the reason we are there is not.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Blech. My interactions in person with such have been overwhelmingly negative, right down to multiple Byzantine Rite Catholics pretending to be Orthodox. They were downright deceptive about it. I didn’t have a negative opinion of them before these interactions. Now I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But still the same liturgy, ethnic traditions, and underlying theology—a few fine points excepted.  Do not blanketly disregard your Ruthinian brothers and sisters.

Do a few jerks change the underlying theology?  The liturgy? Perhaps one is judging a whole culture based on a few negative interactions.  If I would judge all of Russian Orthodoxy based on some Russians I met in Russia, I might have a different opinion on Orthodoxy but I try to see the whole, not the few Stalinists who claim to be Orthodox Christians
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

“On Eagle’s Wings” or “Here I am Lord” next to Bortniansky? There is no competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can not disagree. Traditional Latin Mass has Gregorian Chant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If YOU were a doctor, a priest or a coach or a psychiatrist, would YOU be more likely to abuse that power and abuse the vulnerable?

You claim that “ALL people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation…”

“All”. That’s quite a claim.  That’s textbook projection.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would never feel any such temptation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was raised Catholic, abused by them, have abandoned AND become non-denominational.

I am sorry that you were abused by someone in the Faith. But, that is not the Faith.

I would implore you to try to reconcile with the Sacraments and study the Faith. I family that have been abused in other situations. It is the individual that did this perverted act.

Damn , abuse seems like a theme with that certain so called  “faith” by your own admission………

No, they weren't abused by priests or clergy. My mother and my sister is different situations as children. You all are projecting. There is just as big an issue, if not greater in Protestant churches. But there isn't a unified theme with them for an entity to go after. In fact, public schools have an underage sex abuse problem.

Eitherway.... it is NOT the Faith. These are sins for everyone. The priests have the Gift of Consecration and many other Blessings... but that just means they will be attacked more by Satan.

It *is* because of the rcc beliefs that priests can't be married, that you have to have priests in the confessional, learning all the sins of everyone who goes (meaning, by definition, if he finds any humans attractive, he is handed blackmail and extortion goods on a silver platter), and it is because the priests are held to have powers they don't have because they are said to be literally in the place of Christ on earth, and they can't lose that even if they're kicked out of the priesthood. There's also the problem that there's a tradition of saying priests can't be arrested (or something very like that) which is involved here.

All these things exacerbate the problems inherent in human nature since genesis 3. Until they are removed (and I cannot in any human way see that they ever will), the rcc institutions will continue to have problems with priests abusing their position.

Other systems that do not elevate those in power to the same extent, will not as a system enable the same sort of abuse.

We humans are screwed up and will abuse every single system, including the truth. Systems that make this easier will suffer worse from human corruption.

Really? So, marriage will stop adultery & pedophilia? Interesting. Good thing everyone that is married never does any perverse, adulterous things. Good to know. I will send a letter to the Vatican about it.

You are seriously ignorant on all these things. I realize you are trying to prove against my Faith and yours is better. But your worn out tropes are just sad.

God Bless
Seriously ignorant ... and yet I already explicitly posted that people will abuse every system. You're using a red herring distraction.

How does the fact that people abuse everything (which I explicitly said) change anything about the fact that the flaws I pointed at are present in the rcc system? Systems that do not have the same or equal flaws will not have those flaws exploited by people, because they're not there to exploit.

They know who is who.

They are human beings and the temptation to use their position is just as heavy for them as it would be for any other human being with the same level of position and power.

... and worse, those who do exploit it will be more enabled to exploit it against those who genuinely believe they have to use the confessional, because they are going to be the ones that lay their souls bare.

It certainly sounds like you are suggesting that ALL people with access and opportunity to influence the vulnerable, are MORE LIKELY to do so, because of “temptation”…

Does this apply to psychiatrists, lawyers, coaches and counselors -or just priests?

Why do you behave like you can falsely accuse people of things ... things you have zero evidence for ... and not have anyone care or notice? Not rehtorical, why are you accusing me of doing these things? Do you think I don't know that "you're projecting" means "you do these things and because you do these things you accuse others of doing it?"

------------

Yes, all people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.

The more abusable the position and system, and the more widely know that the position exists and is exploitable, the more bad actors will try and get into those positions.

If YOU were a doctor, a priest or a coach or a psychiatrist, would YOU be more likely to abuse that power and abuse the vulnerable?

You claim that “ALL people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation…”

“All”. That’s quite a claim.  That’s textbook projection.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would never feel any such temptation.

Kind of like liberals who cannot imagine that someone would not misuse their firearms because they know deep inside that they could not be a responsible gun owner.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twitter and modern social media along with tv and movies really have made it where things like false derision can fake it as meaningful arguments.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do a few jerks change the underlying theology?  The liturgy? Perhaps one is judging a whole culture based on a few negative interactions.  If I would judge all of Russian Orthodoxy based on some Russians I met in Russia, I might have a different opinion on Orthodoxy but I try to see the whole, not the few Stalinists who claim to be Orthodox Christians
View Quote

“Orthodox in communion with Rome” is a crock. You’re either Orthodox aka not in communion with Rome or you’re Byzantine Rite Catholic.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This will take another thread I am afraid. It has to do with very many things. Such as She is the Ark of the Covenant, the Queen Mother, the New Eve as Jesus is the New Adam etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Baptist here.

Thanks, I will.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exalt the parts of the Bible the Protestants had to remove because that part of scripture did not align with their notions. Even God needs an editor apparently
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did.
View Quote

Well gee.. is it the commie woke-ass pope, or the rampant kiddie diddling coverups, or the general assholery?   Lot of reason to pick from why someone would "fall away" from it.

I don't have a beef with Catholics, but I detest their church quite a bit.  Priest trying to exclude half of someone's family from a funeral was about the last straw quite a ways back for me, personally.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

“Orthodox in communion with Rome” is a crock. You’re either Orthodox aka not in communion with Rome or you’re Byzantine Rite Catholic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Orthodox means - strict follower of Faith. So, there are Orthodox Jews, Catholics etc...
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree on the dress & $ requests. You don't hear or see that in Traditional Latin Masses.

The Norvus Ordo can definitely be underwhelming. So, can a low Mass for that matter. But the reason we are there is not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vatican 2 removed the Catholic from Catholicism.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Calls for donations vary widely with the individual Parrish.  While it all comes down to the pastors attitude - local church debt and operating expenses (especially if they have a parochial school attached) play a large part of it.  My parish for a very long time had no local debt and we had no school - It was extremely rare to hear a cash call.  The collection is always passed, but rarely anything is said about it.  Visiting missionary priests are a different story of course - as they are usually visiting as part of a fund raising campaign for their ministry.
----
We recently did acquire some potential debt - we built a new community center.  That said, the debt is mostly potential as it is being done in phases, and those phases are only happening as we can afford them.  So there still have been very few actual calls for donations - abet a lot of donations (some fairly large) were freely given for the new community center.  Our parish is financially conservative - too the point that we would damage ourselves before spending money.  A lot of people were angry with the pastor for building the center - but he is willing to look further into the future for capital projects (like putting on roofs that will last longer, or building a center that we will use for decades.
----
Vatican 2 did not remove the Catholic for Catholicism.  It's implementation in the US sure the hell has tried though.  I would argue that the Norvus Ordo is rarely done correctly.  The GIRM (General Instructions to the Roman Missalette) fully allows for a Mass that would mirror a Latin Mass with a few exceptions that could be viewed as improvements.  You could do a Latin(ish) mass with the readings in the local language (or as much as locally deemed necessary for the congregation to understand it), with multiple priests participating (when appropriate).  Very little of the form of the Latin mass is prohibited - but the USCCB and more over local Bishops virtually outlawed it on their own.  

The change from Latin is very sad to me - I understand why it happened, but it is sad.  The powers that be understood that the Latin mass unified all Catholics - every mass in the world was in the same language.  So the powers that be decided to make it "illegal" to teach Latin in school (arguing that the only reason to teach Latin was religion, and we had to separate Church from State).  As fewer and fewer Catholics were getting an education that allowed them to understand the language used in the mass, an allowance was made so that Catholics that went to public schools could understand what was going on.  Not to mention that the Latin mass was difficult for converts - sure you want to become a Catholic, but you really need to learn a new language first.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks, I will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Baptist here.

Thanks, I will.

He has lectures on the subject as well on YouTube. But the book obviously has so much more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s not what I said is it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Raised Catholic.  Prefer Lutheran.

All the salvation, less of the guilt.

I pretty much avoid all organized religion these days.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exalt the parts of the Bible the Protestants had to remove because that part of scripture did not align with their notions. Even God needs an editor apparently
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, they are the only one fully enlightened...... 1500 yrs after Defined Scripture (give or take a few hundred)
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well gee.. is it the commie woke-ass pope, or the rampant kiddie diddling coverups, or the general assholery?   Lot of reason to pick from why someone would "fall away" from it.

I don't have a beef with Catholics, but I detest their church quite a bit.  Priest trying to exclude half of someone's family from a funeral was about the last straw quite a ways back for me, personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did.

Why were they excluded?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not so fast…

YOU said:

“Yes, ALL people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.”

You said ALL people in will feel that temptation.

Do you believe this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God Bless

They know who is who.

------------

Do you know the difference between a situation that could be abused being there, and it not being there?

Not so fast…

YOU said:

“Yes, ALL people with a position of equal influence in peoples live who have access and opportunity are going to encounter that temptation.”

You said ALL people in will feel that temptation.

Do you believe this?

I did not use "encounter" to mean "feel" and I don't see why you'd think I had, especially given that I had said that the system is abusable, not that everyone will abuse it or that everyone will respond to the temptation in the same way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#44]
your mothers worst fear is that you went to Church?

whew. some of y'all are way to intense over the region thing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Raised Catholic.  Prefer Lutheran.

All the salvation, less of the guilt.

I pretty much avoid all organized religion these days.
View Quote

God called for organized religion. Hence the Jewish and Christian Faith.

If you look at all of Jesus's Healings. They healed in order to allow them into the Temple to Worship.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I am avowed Atheist.  Absolutely LOVE going to mass.  I don't go often but do go whenever I get a chance.  I can't take Communion but I really don't care.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't remove them and they were in the bibles protestant used up until not very long ago.

The reasons we believe that the non-apocryphal books are God inspired and his word are the same reasons why we don't believe the apocryphal books are inspired.

Those books do not logically fit with what the other books teach, and the fact that the rcc didn't declare them officially as inspired/God's words until after the debate over over purgatory became a problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edit:stupid spelling mistake.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We didn't remove them and they were in the bibles protestant used up until not very long ago.

The reasons we believe that the non-apocraphl books are God inspired and his word are the same reasons why we don't believe the apocryphal books are inspired.

Those books do not logically fit with what the other books teach, and the fact that the rcc didn't declare them offically as inspired/God's words until after the debate over over purgatory became a problem sticks out like a sore thumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reasons we believe that the non-apocraphl books are God inspired and his word are the same reasons why we don't believe the apocryphal books are inspired.

Those books do not logically fit with what the other books teach, and the fact that the rcc didn't declare them offically as inspired/God's words until after the debate over over purgatory became a problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

They were removed because they didn’t support the position that the Protestants had. You can’t have a Biblically  based religion if your very scripture contradicts your position so those portions of scripture were discarded. Kinda like modern leftists changing language and definitions to support their position.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#49]
OP, I read through the first page but am not going to make it through the next 4.

If you want to ask a believing cradle-Catholic any questions about beliefs, liturgy, etc feel free to IM me. I'll either have an answer or find one for you.

Offer is open for anyone truly interested (not just looking to bash).
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’m a regular church goer at my Protestant church. I volunteer regularly, attend a bible study and make Christ my priority in all things. However, I’ve been curious about Catholicism for awhile, and a couple of things aligned so I had the opportunity to visit.

It was different in a lot of ways but there were similarities. I was lost most of the time and didn’t know when to stand up, kneel, or sit. Luckily, I just mimicked what others did and got through it fine. I was excited when we recited the Lord’s Prayer. Finally, something I did know. It was also interesting to see the priest had a lame antidote to start his message similarly to our pastors. I knew not to take communion and was relieved that I wasn’t the only person not partaking.

I’ll definitely go again. Getting my wife to go will be a challenge though. Her family was largely Catholic but nearly everyone fell away from the faith. We’re both determined to raise our child as a Christian and she’s concerned that as a Catholic, our daughter (and future children) would be more likely to stray as her family did. I’ve made the point that Protestants stray just as much as Catholics but I won’t push her.

While I’m not joining RCIA, I am interested in learning. I’ll still go to our Protestant church but I can go to Mass as well. If you’re Protestant and are curious about Catholicism, I suggest trying it out. It’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought it was.
View Quote

Oops. We went to a beautiful catholic cathedral in Chattanooga a few months ago to see what it was like. We all took communion and I’m once divorced and raised Baptist. Oh well. On our way back to our pew, a woman grabbed me and said your son didn’t eat the eucharist. I said excise me, what? She repeated it and then I got it. I looked at my 8 YO and said did you eat the wafer, and he said no, it tasted bad. I’m like ok, cool. She says no, he needs to eat it. I thought to myself, is this going to turn in to a problem? Sooo, I told him to eat it which he did. Odd experience with that woman, but I guess not eating it is a sign of being potentially possessed or something….?

We’ll stick to our little Methodist church for now.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top