Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Police Dogs are used a bullshit way of fucking people out of their 4th amendment rights

I do think they have a very useable ability in protecting the public, but are mostly used for the wrong reasons.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I know, a record of all uses, alerts and searches is required everywhere. I have serious doubts about the accuracy of it though, particularly because so many police think that finding a place where drugs were or probably were is somehow similar to finding drugs.
View Quote

Dog detect odor not product. Transference of odor is real.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All drugs should be legal.

End the nanny state.
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Police Dogs are used a bullshit way of fucking people out of their 4th amendment rights

I do think they have a very useable ability in protecting the public, but are mostly used for the wrong reasons.
View Quote

You aren't just wrong with your post.... You don't even realize that drug detection is not used nearly as much as patrol work, right? And if you are going for percentage of use, you have to add in explosive detection. Then don't forget the poor USDA dogs and their food detection at airport border entry points.

Can you explain how these dogs are "mostly used for the wrong reasons"? Like, what reasons are wrong?

Show me where the bad dog touched you.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Legalize all drugs.  Retire the dogs and a whole bunch of attorneys, judges, jailers, etc.  “They” have used the ‘war on drugs’ as a war on freedom!  FWOD and FJB.
View Quote

Ok. But monthly drug testing before welfare. No taxpayer medical care. Ag sentencing for addicts commiting crimes for profit. And no bs laws softening employer’s drug free work place programs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

Oh you think that there are two classes now....

Just wait till the legal drugs really kick in.....Those that do and toes that don't.....

Unreal..

Red
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I still say police dogs will be removed from law enforcement within 20 years through civil litigation. They're unreliable, they chomp on innocent people, once whatever the new name of the American Trial Lawyers Association is catches on police dogs will be uninsurable

edit you know I walked past a police car with a dog in the back a couple of weeks ago  and that mutt went batshit like a pitbull on crack. If it could ha gotten out it would've chomped me
View Quote

We have heard that for decades. The 9th Circuit has argued that the dogs are deadly force. Never taken into a case law though......and they have had recent chances. And you do realize most big organizations are self-insured?

I have been sued over the K9, but not for biting. It was only for our "intimidating appearance" was in violation of the 4th. With bodycams and documenting every contact and deployment, there is an actual record of what occurs. When something is bad, they will pay quickly to settle and take care of injuries. Once there was a shift to longer settle everything, lawsuits dropped significantly.

As for you walking by the car, my work dog would do that. That is his house and wants to protect it. Same way my house dog will do the same thing. Come to the door and he won't be friendly. My work dog would wait to bite you until I said it was ok. You might get covered in slobber while he was waiting though!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s hilarious to watch boomer LEOs lose their shit about a myriad of topics as cannabis gets legalized everywhere

Add a dog to the mix and you get gold like some of the comments in here

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It should still be illegal to smoke and drive. I think a lot of people are under the influence or playing video games based on their driving habits.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It’s hilarious to watch boomer LEOs lose their shit about a myriad of topics as cannabis gets legalized everywhere

Add a dog to the mix and you get gold like some of the comments in here

View Quote

hemp was already legalized federally. unless drug dogs can detect %thc pot dogs should not be used anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You aren't just wrong with your post.... You don't even realize that drug detection is not used nearly as much as patrol work, right? And if you are going for percentage of use, you have to add in explosive detection. Then don't forget the poor USDA dogs and their food detection at airport border entry points.

Can you explain how these dogs are "mostly used for the wrong reasons"? Like, what reasons are wrong?

Show me where the bad dog touched you.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ffcc98a8515fc9ec49a7151f5d4ee2b9/tenor.gif?itemid=15965607

View Quote

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings with the truth officer sensitive.

I’ve watched a lot of COPS and Live PD so I know my stuff.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Pot is completely legal here and dogs are still used a lot but not usually by the police. Industrial companies search their jobsites with them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have been sued over the K9, but not for biting. It was only for our "intimidating appearance" was in violation of the 4th.
View Quote

Wtf? Care to share any more details about the lawsuit?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Dogs are trained to specific smells.  They would not hit on weed if that had been omitted from the training.  And probably is on a lot of current trainees.    Once in the field any dog mistakes are actually the K9 officers fault in their ongoing training.  Officer can also fake it, but I really doubt that happens a great deal.  If the dog doesn't smell it, it's not there.  So why waste your time as a cop searching?  

I had a bird dog when I was younger.  If there was great cover that should hold birds and he passed it, I might call him back for another look.  If no reaction, we don't stomp though, we move on because there are no birds in the spot at this time.   That is how a good dog works regardless of targeted smell.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

Concur.  War on Drugs is actually a war against our civil rights and liberties.  Let the mofos OD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

Legalized all drugs tax the shit out of it removed and use Narcan I’m only in emergencies problem will fix itself
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
We picked up an Ounce of Black Tuna from Trulieve yesterday as they had a nice sale going and the wife cannot miss a weed sale God forbid. We opened one container in the parking lot right away of course..?? and the smell was still very strong in her car this morning 15 hrs later. Drug dogs got fired here in FL last year when the cbd and delta 8 flower got popular.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

Visit CA lately ? You might change your mind
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

We live in a country where dogs can issue search warrants…

That’s where we are as a nation, anyone OK with that is the enemy in my book…
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've always wondered how an animal can waive my constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Drugs are no big deal... meanwhile 3 of the 4 cases my team is actively working are Homicides committed during weed robberies
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I surprised the state hasn't replaced juries with truth smelling dogs after the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Drugs are no big deal... meanwhile 3 of the 4 cases my team is actively working are Homicides committed during weed robberies
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does weed, coke or heroin have any monetary value right now?  If they were decriminalized would the value go down drastically?
Would that street corner be worth $10k+ cash, tax free a week?

Things that make you go, “hmm…”
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We live in a country where dogs can issue search warrants…

That’s where we are as a nation, anyone OK with that is the enemy in my book…
View Quote

Probable cause is worse then search warrants. If they actually had to tell the judge and get a warrant there would be actual records of ever false hit...
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I presume you don’t mean in a state licensed pot shop.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would go along with you but only if Narcan is banned.
View Quote
Thats not how freedom works.  If you can afford it neither should be banned.  Dont worry though, Narcan is expensive and will never get prioritized over the drug that is now dirt cheap because its not black market prices. Additionally, no one will be knocking over a house for Narcan money like they used to do for drug money.  Also it would get rid of Chinese produced garbage that is more the cause.   End of the day it would lessen property crime and improve the chances for people to get off it if they ever were so inclined because they wont have a mountain of legal woes beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The whole legalize all drugs thinking is utterly devoid from reality.  It will never ever happen. Just ask the moon shiners that are in federal prison how that worked out for them. The government could care less about whether a substance is legal. But they do get real serious about people selling untaxed liquor.  So, if everything is legal, and tested for purity, and taxed, What ya gonna do about the guy selling untaxed, impure chemicals?  Set up a still, start selling untaxed liquor.  Let me know how that turns out.
View Quote

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you often miss the point of most conversations. Amirite?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does weed, coke or heroin have any monetary value right now?  If they were decriminalized would the value go down drastically?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad guys are going to continue to do bad things. If you honestly believe Decriminalization of drugs with a stoke of a pen would suddenly shut down an multi-billion dollar market and all the robberies and murders at go along with, I want some of what you are smoking…
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a self-solving problem
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

End the nanny state.
View Quote

This (and I say that as a 27 year and counting cop).

J-
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess I'll order online and give zero shits when they go out of business like most malls tend to be doing nowdays.

Then what does the security guard do if a firearms sniffing dogs alerts on you?  They do not have any authority but to call L.E.  I'd tell them to fuck off and walk off.
View Quote

They could be authorized by the owners of the mall to deny you entry. If so, then you'd be trespassing if you didn't leave.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They could be authorized by the owners of the mall to deny you entry. If so, then you'd be trespassing if you didn't leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'll order online and give zero shits when they go out of business like most malls tend to be doing nowdays.

Then what does the security guard do if a firearms sniffing dogs alerts on you?  They do not have any authority but to call L.E.  I'd tell them to fuck off and walk off.

They'd be doing you a favor.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So if you've got a trunk full of coke then you drive smoking a joint and it's all good? Also, what happens when the dog alerts on an odour of MJ that wasn't detectable to the officer? Seems extremely easy to challenge.
View Quote

If you’re smoking a joint and driving that’s now a DUID investigation. And unfortunately there’s no simple test so blood draw warrant, vehicle tow and inventory.

If the dog detects MJ over cocaine it won’t matter since the cocaine is located and presumed to be what the dog hit on. It’s probable cause not absolute certainty.

PSA: don’t smuggle drugs kids.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you find weed at a homicide crime scene, do you automatically classify it as a weed robbery?

Must be the same type of folk counting Covid deaths
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Visit CA lately ? You might change your mind
View Quote

CA also legalized everything else including many property crimes.

You can legalize drugs but still throw people that are stealing shit into prison.

I also don't want to see welfare supporting drug habits, but it kind of already does. How many welfare recipients smoke, drink, and buy lotto tickets? Certainly a non zero number.

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I skip that step and don't go into a mall.

Based on the vacancies at the malls in the valley, I'm not alone.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably been 20 years for me, at least.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I can see them being used to find actual concealed drugs. Someone here posted a video last week of cops and DEA helping themselves to $100k they found in a guy's car while he was travelling. Ouija Dog "hit" on it. Most cash has drug scent on it. The man was not arrested. That shit was just pure theft by cop.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear malls are hiring ccw greeters........

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/9grih6u8a9v71-2193230.jpg

They are LE and will happily trespass you if you don’t have an excuse like going shooting recently.  

The metal detectors are hidden in the walls.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#43]
dogs can be made to detect odors and if pot becomes federally legal, then the general feeling is that the single purpose dogs would either be retrained for article search or apprehension or retired.

also it should be noted, that dogs can still be trained on the other odors , just not pot..  

I have also seen first hand, where the dog will sit at any spot as a PC dog we call it, but its up to the handler to note behavior of change and get specific to the area..  

We are counting on the cop to protect the constitution while still enforcing the law, which sometimes is not in agreement.    
the lazy handler will allow a dog to simply sit when working..  

The guys I personally know and spend time with, are good handlers and I am just acknowledging the fact that PC dogs exist.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#44]
not true, plenty are being imprinted..    

especially for detainment centers
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I mean if the dog hits the officer has PC to enter a vehicle and if he finds nothing no harm no foul.  Who says an officer can't train his dog to "hit" on order?
Don't think for a minute this isn't happening. It is.

I detest drug dealers but unethical law enforcement even more.
View Quote

The Bill of Rights and founding father disagree. Freedom and liberty mean something. No harm no foul accept the contents of your vehicle are scattered everywhere and your fourth amendment has been trampled on
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I train K9s.  I have not had an agency request a dog that has been trained on Marijuana in almost 4 years.

States that legalized Marijuana and departments that have had dogs trained on Marijuana have invalidated the dog for scent detection or retired early.

He is way behind the times.
View Quote

They also went to detainment centers for contraband searches.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Government doesn't need to do that. Somebody like UL can test for purity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

End the nanny state.

This.  Testing for purity is the only thing the state should be doing.  

Too many laws and regulations create a massive waste of paper pushing and useless 'jobs' that come with it.

Government doesn't need to do that. Somebody like UL can test for purity.

Somehow UGLs that produce injectable PEDs are able to function without gov oversight.  The more established ones have independent testing data.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Didn't say I wouldn't leave, because I'd be leaving on my own accord after telling them to fuck off about their firearm sniffing dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the Galleria Mall in AL they ask you to leave.

"fuck off" gets you a trespassing charge, no firearms related charge.

Didn't say I wouldn't leave, because I'd be leaving on my own accord after telling them to fuck off about their firearm sniffing dog.

Just showing up at the Galleria indicates you have questionable judgement.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bad guys are going to continue to do bad things. If you honestly believe Decriminalization of drugs with a stoke of a pen would suddenly shut down an multi-billion dollar market and all the robberies and murders at go along with, I want some of what you are smoking…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely, overnight. That’s what I wrote.   In addition, we need to put more effort into stopping this great scourge on our nation.  I voted for Reagan but we haven’t given this war enough damn time.  With a bit more effort we can win for this righteous cause!

I’m glad we agree, try the veal!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I mean if the dog hits the officer has PC to enter a vehicle and if he finds nothing no harm no foul.  Who says an officer can't train his dog to "hit" on order?
Don't think for a minute this isn't happening. It is.

I detest drug dealers but unethical law enforcement even more.
View Quote
Yes there is harm as someones rights have been violated.

"Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The dog can't tell you what type drug it hit on so the court should be able to issue a warrant as they can't describe what to seize. This would call into question all dog searches as their is no reason to believe that the drugs might have hit on a prescription.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top