BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like these 8 better:

1. You will obey code of conduct  without question.

2. Punishment shall be swift.

3. Mercy is for the weak.

4. Trolling will defeat reason.

5. Your allegiance is to the forum.

6. Justice can be dictated.

7. Any Team member may challenge for leadership of the Forum.

8. There is only one penalty - BAN!
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
After the problem is addressed, who will judge it , members,mods,staff, a mix or a single person?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After the problem is addressed, who will judge it , members,mods,staff, a mix or a single person?
View Quote

Good question.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a start...

IMO there needs to be a trusted member of SS there to make final decisions, someone the membership knows is impartial. Once that person is agreed upon (that is important) than a forum can proceed and a group of members(selected Mods of that forum) can filter out the various grievances and decide if they warrant SS stepping in and making a final decision. This forum should be handled by the members and at least TRY not to shovel massive piles of grievances to the SS.

Can ya tell I am a shop steward
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't they do that at one of the AK forums?
View Quote

AK Files has a public "banned members" thread which has the name, duration, and sometimes the reason for the ban. They also tend to not perma many people over there. I like the idea but it would need to be modified to apply to Arf properly
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure if there will be judgment at this time. I don't really think it should be for punishment. Besides Staff can be judged by admin its should be in admins hands on that. Members are given judgment by staff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems like a reasonable concept.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tag
View Quote

Mod ? Congrats
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure what the point is. Sounds like "The Pit - Lite."

Site and Mods "Back The Black" and aren't (generally) willing to go against one another.

I appreciate your effort though.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm for anything that will help at this point.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does “addressed” mean?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think this would be a good idea, as long as staff and moderators aren’t allowed to move threads into the grievance forum.  I wouldn’t want it to become a dumping place for threads they don’t want to deal with in GD.
View Quote

I think it would be ok if grievance threads got moved from GD into the new sub.

Assuming they are in fact grievance threads, and not being moved for the sake of sweeping them under the rug.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like a start...

IMO there needs to be a trusted member of SS there to make final decisions, someone the membership knows is impartial. Once that person is agreed upon (that is important) than a forum can proceed and a group of members(selected Mods of that forum) can filter out the various grievances and decide if they warrant SS stepping in and making a final decision. This forum should be handled by the members and at least TRY not to shovel massive piles of grievances to the SS.

View Quote

The more the members are involved, the less work (potentially) for mods. Figuring out the exact system and people would take time but it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A method for paying members to cast a vote on unbanning or keeping the ban in place may be useful. (If it has to be restricted to people with more skin in the game, Perhaps gold members or better, or 10+ years can vote?)

It’s self policing.
View Quote

That would be undermining SS actions, which is not and should not happen.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like a start...

View Quote
That is one way to do it. I would rather the mod or staffer get to have their say though. I see reason why other mods and staff could not join in though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think it would be ok if grievance threads got moved from GD into the new sub.

Assuming they are in fact grievance threads, and not being moved for the sake of sweeping them under the rug.
View Quote

I mean the current trend for grievance threads has been to vaporize them which is the worst thing you can do in my opinion. It doesn't send a good message to GD when grievances people have are vaporized.

All of these threads have been getting massive traffic due to recent events and they've all been vaporized within 1-3 days of being posted.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tag
View Quote
Its going better than I thought
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

AK Files has a public "banned members" thread which has the name, duration, and sometimes the reason for the ban. They also tend to not perma many people over there. I like the idea but it would need to be modified to apply to Arf properly
View Quote
They doo and its really neat
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't they do that at one of the AK forums?

Almost.

They had a sub forum that popped up when you got banned. Only mods and staff could see it other than yourself.

I know this because I saw it myself. I was banned there because they thought I was some other guy that lived in Wisconsin or some shit.

The only feedback I got was "sorry, guess we fucked up". Still banned.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#21]
This occurred to me: include rules similar to Team forum rules:

Don't post anything in here that is a direct, obvious CoC violation.

Don't post anything in here that any reasonable human wouldn't say to another human being face to face when meeting them for the first time.

…….

That's it. Really. Be nice, respectful, offer good solid informed advice, keep your mouth shut when you have nothing of actual value to add to a conversation, and you will never have a problem with us
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's an idea:

What about inviting recently banned members into the new grievance sub - those who were banned before it was created?

Maybe with some time the wounds (both with users and with mods/staff) would heal and people would come back and understand each other.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming of fairies and unicorns and the BOTD thread.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure if there will be judgment at this time. I don't really think it should be for punishment. Besides Staff can be judged by admin its should be in admins hands on that. Members are given judgment by staff.
View Quote

The name would be a quasi "members advocate" on site staff, other names for it
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what the point is. Sounds like "The Pit - Lite."

Site and Mods "Back The Black" and aren't (generally) willing to go against one another.

I appreciate your effort though.

View Quote
It is the pit lite for lack of a better term. In the past calling SS and mods was not allowed in the pit. This provides a place where reasonable people can be reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a suggestion.

Make a "friends" button, so that if two people both friend each other, it shows up as friends. But you won't get notified unless you both mutually click eachother's friends buttons.

REPEAT:  it's not like a friend request, so you won't be notified if somebody sends a friend invite.

I can think of many members I would like to friend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I mean the current trend for grievance threads has been to vaporize them which is the worst thing you can do in my opinion. It doesn't send a good message to GD when grievances people have are vaporized.

All of these threads have been getting massive traffic due to recent events and they've all been vaporized within 1-3 days of being posted.
View Quote

Everyone would know about the new grievance thread, would probably be a sticky at the top of GD.

And they wouldn't be vaporized (or at least shouldn't be in this new system!) so people could still follow and comment in them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I was anxious about this big post coming up. Generally, good work.

I need some time to digest. This generally isn't a bad place to start; and I'd fair to say it's leaps and bounds better than many of the other suggestions I've seen floated so far.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What does "addressed" mean?
View Quote
It means that people can talk to each other without getting the static from GD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Almost.

They had a sub forum that popped up when you got banned. Only mods and staff could see it other than yourself.

I know this because I saw it myself. I was banned there because they thought I was some other guy that lived in Wisconsin or some shit.

View Quote

There is a public thread in their GD called "BANNED LIST" It still exists and could be a good reference for some ideas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I suppose this makes some sense,  There’s been a number of threads in GD and team discussing recently (and not so recently) banned members.  It appears that for one reason or another those threads don’t go great.  Having a place for people to discuss these things has possibilities, but it would require a lot of restraint for both members and staff/mods.

We do need to do something around here though as there seems to be a shitload of animosity between groups.  There’s a lot of hostility floating around here and it sure doesn’t seem to be getting better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What does “addressed” mean?
View Quote

Discussed at length in a reasonable way governed by coc, i.e. Plead your case in the open for all to see
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its not that at all. Its a place outside of GD to address problems.
View Quote

Understood. The success of your idea depends on how much time mods and staff could dedicate to it. It's a decent idea but the time necessary to make it successful is not something I can see working.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It means that people can talk to each other without getting the static from GD.
View Quote

Basically the email/IM exchange between a member and mod/staff about a warning/lock aired publicly?

Or can another member bring up a sanction about someone else?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This occurred to me: include rules similar to Team forum rules:

Don't post anything in here that is a direct, obvious CoC violation.

Don't post anything in here that any reasonable human wouldn't say to another human being face to face when meeting them for the first time.

That's it. Really. Be nice, respectful, offer good solid informed advice, keep your mouth shut when you have nothing of actual value to add to a conversation, and you will never have a problem with us
View Quote
Yes that is directly inline with what rules should be.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will permaban retreads and blatant trolls.

They will only perma long tiime members after multiple temp bans. And when I say multiple, it's like a dozen of increasing length up to a year
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That is one way to do it. I would rather the mod or staffer get to have their say though. I see reason why other mods and staff could not join in though.
View Quote

The Mod already had their say when they moderated or took a certain action that was called into question, so it would be kinda redundant.. A member of the proposed forum could IM the Mod (if applicable) and ask him to explain the reason why an action was taken. Let's face it, if such a forum was to be created, it will be inundated with a LOT of BS and then guess what ? the Mods of that forum will be the enemy lol

Appreciate your work Ben.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The name would be a quasi "members advocate" on site staff, other names for it
View Quote
Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like a start...

View Quote

Personally i think dk prof is the most fair and level headed staffer.

He usually comes around and tries to atleast give an explanation of whats going on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was anxious about this big post coming up. Generally, good work.

I need some time to digest. This generally isn't a bad place to start; and I'd fair to say it's leaps and bounds better than many of the other suggestions I've seen floated so far.
View Quote
I couldn't get it as right as I wanted so I needed to come here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Personally i think dk prof is the most fair and level headed staffer.

He usually comes around and tries to atleast give an explanation of whats going on.
View Quote

I think there are some mods/ss that are generally trusted and respected a lot more than others who seem to be called out more often.

I'll leave it at that for now but I believe we could find a group of level people that together balance out and would be as impartial as humans can be.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its going better than I thought
View Quote

It's because you're not a dick. People know you're trying to help.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Every case doesn't need to go to it, just if the member or staff/mod want to plead case publicly
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is a public thread in their GD called "BANNED LIST" It still exists and could be a good reference for some ideas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost.

I know, that isn't what I'm talking about though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Basically the email/IM exchange between a member and mod/staff about a warning/lock aired publicly?

Or can another member bring up a sanction about someone else?
View Quote
Not exactly publicly. But along those lines. Seems that sometimes emails and IMs aren't always answered.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Mod already had their say when they moderated or took a certain action that was called into question, so it would be kinda redundant.. A member of the proposed forum could IM the Mod (if applicable) and ask him to explain the reason why an action was taken. Let's face it, if such a forum was to be created, it will be inundated with a LOT of BS and then guess what ? the Mods of that forum will be the enemy lol

Appreciate your work Ben.
View Quote
It could be that way
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We do need to do something around here though as there seems to be a shitload of animosity between groups.  There’s a lot of hostility floating around here and it sure doesn’t seem to be getting better.
View Quote

User/member created private groups that they can invite people into and that people can ask to join.

arfcom is like one giant 500k member facebook group. In reality it might be better to have subdivisions within it, as well as open spaces.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like the pit.

A grievances forum to publicly be able to air decisions you disagree with would be a good thing. As long as the airing of grievances isn’t considered some sort of CoC violation for ‘attacking mods’.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Same
View Quote
Plenty of time left for disaster
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Then bans would just be a popularity contest.

You could break rules all day long if you had enough folks in your corner.

I dont think that would fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A method for paying members to cast a vote on unbanning or keeping the ban in place may be useful. (If it has to be restricted to people with more skin in the game, Perhaps gold members or better, or 10+ years can vote?)

It's self policing.

Then bans would just be a popularity contest.

You could break rules all day long if you had enough folks in your corner.

I dont think that would fly.
For a site that bitches about "Rules for thee but not for me" this is counter productive. Whether someone is knowledgeable or popular shouldn't be an exemption for stepping on your dick consistently. I'm maybe in the 30 percentile on an IQ chart here but even I can stay out of trouble for the most part.

If you screw up man up and work it out with staff one on one.

https://www.ar15.com/about/
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top