Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Pathfinder school at Campbell they hovered a little bird at 5-10' in front of us while in the field.

That shit was pretty badass.
View Quote

Those 160th SOAR guys are literally magicians with their birds the things I've seen them do - even with big ass Chinooks. They can make them dance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to a Nashville game a few years back, up in the nosebleeds, and I swear the helos were almost below me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's the issue?
View Quote

Some dipshit retired FAA guy said that the flight "could have been dangerous."

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they had some "communists" to "drop" off at the game...
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They were flying into the would-be rigging space of a skycam.  I think that's going to raise some warranted questions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the FAA is butthurt that the helicopter flew too low?
They were flying into the would-be rigging space of a skycam.  I think that's going to raise some warranted questions.

You can see those cables in the shots from the ground, and you can see the helo's go safely over them.

I'm sure the pilots they sent out before the event saw the cables and planned on how to avoid them. I'm sure the practice flight planned on how to not hit the cables, and didn't.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Lead pilot has a history and command staff are trying to drum something up to get rid of him.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
About the only thing they will get fucked with over is if there was a TFR over that stadium which happens pretty regularly for professional sporting events. And if they violated that they may get spanked a little.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
FAA doesn’t have have juris-my-diction over the Mil.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s the first time I’ve heard of Ft. Campbell, Tennessee.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-WZDbbfz7s

Dash cam video evidence.
View Quote

Even pilots can’t hold the phone correctly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Full video showing both Apache and Chinooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8toPGiR4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8toPGiR4I

eta paste fail + apparently I cant get youtube links to show.
View Quote

Awesome controversial flyover Titans vs Saints 11-14-21

Skycam cable appears at the 0:25 second mark.

I would be curious to see pre-flight safety brief, but the cable should have been identified.  If it was properly identified and avoided during the flight there was no risk from an FAA standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, at NASCAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLqEL3mY7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSVejzS9k8

ETA: That old ass FAA guy needs to shut the fuck up and stop wasting the Army's time. That unit has probably done dozens of flyovers of that stadium.
View Quote
This

Loved doing Fries and Spies
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We were pushing up the Alishang Valley (AFG) in 2005 and we had just finished dropping rounds in support of Lima Co, 3rd Bn 3rd Marines, and were in a check fire for some AH-64's to egress out of the valley.

Our smallest Marine was taking a shit in a hole he dug, and one of those AH-64's came in low enough to push him into his shithole with the rotor wash. We laughed heartily, pilot gave us a thumbs up and he went on his merry way. Was a 10/10 experience.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
This morning, there was a very low ceiling. We didn't know if it was going to happen until immediately before it did. I bet there was a few violations.

The sound on the field was deafening.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lead pilot has a history and command staff are trying to drum something up to get rid of him.
View Quote
I met that guy once when my son interviewed for ROTC at UT Austin and he was the commander of the unit.  Seemed pretty squared away for the brief time I met him.  I think he was a Kansas State grad FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Flew airshows for 10 summers

“Your can only tie the record for lowest fly by”

That low if something breaks there are no options.

Looks good, but stupid
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I was at a high school football game one night and immediately following the National Anthem two fighter jets came streaking, low over the stadium. I was in awe and as I stood there wondering how in the world our school game could rank so high, I heard the gentleman next to me remind his wife that UT - which is 30 miles away and also on the way back to Fort Hood - was also having a 7PM kickoff.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm failing to see a problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If they think that was dangerous, they wouldn't have wanted to have been on most of the flights we had back when I was stationed there.

I remember a couple of times they were flying so low I had to look up to see the tops of the trees.

We were whooping and cheering and screaming at them to GO FASTER! Fucker looked back at us and grinned and went faster.

Those were some good times!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So some army helo pilots flew the helos a little too low?  

You know, they're made to go low.  They're not airplanes...

It seems like BS to me, on the surface, but I'm not a pilot.
View Quote

Probably not supposed to do flyovers lower than the top of the stadium... lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The issue is that they flew Apaches over the crowd.

View Quote

Clearly having a weapon of war fly so low over a sporting event without each and every attendee being given advanced warning can be traumatizing.
Someone needs to be held accountable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Military doesn’t care what FAA thinks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Should have done a barrel roll
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem is that an evil symbol of American imperialism, in the form of an attack helicopter with a culturally appropriated name, flew over and oppressed the millionaire POCs on the field.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FAA guy in the stands, didn't like what he saw so ratted them out.  Nothing happened, "....but, but it COULD have...."

FFS
View Quote
He's just mad that there were no red stars on the aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I am so pissed that they flew those things near people.  That is dangerous!

Nobody needs Apache helicopters with 50 clip heat-seeking bullets and bazooka cannons.

Think of the children!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So the FAA is butthurt that the helicopter flew too low?
View Quote

I didn’t think the military had to answer to the FAA .
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The crux of the issue is Larry Williams is a little bitch.

Everyone knows Army pilots are afraid of heights.
View Quote
He is probably still pissed about his wife banging that Army pilot  
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#30]
FNFL, FFAA, FBATFE, and FJB
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
FAA guy in the stands, didn't like what he saw so ratted them out.  Nothing happened, "....but, but it COULD have...."

FFS
View Quote

FAA Karen
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#32]
We took three Talons and three gunships up to Campbell for a JRX, and those guys were flying little birds between the aircraft about five feet off the ground going a lot faster than seemed warranted. None of the safety people looked overly concerned...

We were tasked with providing them one of the Talons to practice folding the little bird's blades, loading/unloading and reconstitution. I let the crew chiefs go and told them I'd keep an eye on the aircraft and call them when we needed to button it back up. That was a mistake. Shit went on for hours and hours. After more than a dozen repetitions I asked one of the O's about it, and he said it was about building "muscle memory"...they were supposed to be able to do it in the dark, without NVGs. Thankfully they didn't test that capability.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The 4 cables from the top of each corner of the stadium used to control and move the remote camera that is directly over the field and follows the play.
View Quote

BULLSHIT they didn't fly under the cables that control the camera.  First, those cables move and are not in a fixed position. An aviator is not going to trust a camera operator to hold the camera in a fix position while they fly under.
Also, those cables are NOT affixed to the very top of the four corners, but are affixed at a much lower position
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe they should have used a B1 instead?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Even if they are attached at the roof they’ll deflect substantially in the middle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
So the local news ruined future fly overs... Fuck them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But Larry Williams, a retired aviation safety inspector with the FAA, told NewsChannel 5 that the incident could “have been a disaster.”

“General reaction, yeah, it was unsafe,” Williams told the news outlet. “It was very dangerous.”

Retired.''

Some grumpy old fvcks just aren't smart enough to wither away, dry out and die, they have to ruin it for everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#38]

https://home.army.mil/campbell/index.php

Kentucky, sheeeeesh
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#39]
"A number of military helicopter pilots told Task & Purpose that they considered the flight to be safe, despite the dramatic nature of a low-altitude flyover.

But Larry Williams, a retired aviation safety inspector with the FAA, told NewsChannel 5 that the incident could “have been a disaster.”
View Quote

I've been flying helicopters literally on and around powerlines for years, along with the entire utility industry, and this cuck wants to say something
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Wut?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I once saw a couple of 160th Little Bird Pilots fly under a bridge in a major city.
View Quote
I just saw an advert and the 160th Little Bird Pilot flew through the goal posts and delivered the ball for the game. Or at least it looked like it did.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's the issue?
View Quote
It was cool and fun. That is not allowed in current year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's the issue?
View Quote

Karen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everyone continues to be outraged by anything of no consequence, while ignoring everything of importance that needs fixing.
View Quote

Meanwhile.....crickets
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Watching the full video makes this even 'worse' . . . there was literally nothing fucking unsafe about that.

Jesus tapdancing Christ - dude from the FAA needs to clutch his pearls about other things, like allowing Boeing to self certify 737 MAX jets that don't like to stay in the sky.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Not the first time the military and the FAA have butted heads over this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That Chinook at the end, tho.  Looked like it had to slam on the brakes to avoid running into the ass end of the Black Hawk.

View Quote

First thing I noticed was the Shithook going "OH SHIT".

Lead bird slowed as he banked.
Then blackhawksaid!! "OK I'll Play Along."
Shithook said "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!!!!!!"
Trailing apache said, "Wait for me Guys GUYYYSSS!!!!

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like a Mass Gathering Disaster Fly-By Training Exercise to me.  

Gotta stay sharp!  

At least they weren't towing a "Let's Go Brandon" banner behind them.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, at NASCAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLqEL3mY7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSVejzS9k8

ETA: That old ass FAA guy needs to shut the fuck up and stop wasting the Army's time. That unit has probably done dozens of flyovers of that stadium.
View Quote
Yeah they do it right for the 600.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the real question here is not why those helicopters were so low, but why the hell do they need to have cables that high?  Bury cables not pilots!  FNFL and FFAA
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top