Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
“As we have dug into the issues following exiting prior senior management, they have unfortunately turned out to be far more severe than was reported. There is no way to sugarcoat this.”
View Quote

This to me is the major talking point.  So how many of them left because they could no longer hide their ineptitude or inability to manage the aspect of the project they were running?  Seems to me, they were painting roses in reports and meetings, instead of the real state of the project.

rats jumping ship.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been yelling that from the rooftops for the longest....

Same for Bezos, Google, Zuckerberg, Wally-Mart.

You get in bed with .gov and get rich off of the backs of us taxpayers.

Fuck all of them. They can't take their riches to hell with them and/or bargain with God.

But no, guaranteed on here Arfcom, the worship of Elon remains strong
View Quote

Let me help you look like less of a fool:  https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-repays-department-energy-loan-nine-years-early
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
space exploration is only good if it comes up with some foreign species to crush

otherwise, who cares
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sell Tesla to Ford. Focus on SpaceX.
View Quote

Ford can't afford it. It would be easier for Tesla to buy Ford.
Ford's market cap is 76 billion, Tesla's is 1.15 TRILLION.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the laser takes up that much more space then...   launch fewer.

Let's be honest, the Starship is essentially a rich man's pipe dream...
View Quote

Its not just the laser. It is a bigger sat with way more processing power and bandwidth.

Starship will be amazing if it works. But I think if they had to they would just use the super heavy and throw an expendable second stage on it. It would cost way more but they have gotten really good at fishing fairings out. But Elon is not just a rich man he is an insanely rich man that can throw a ton of money at the problem. Hell he could probably do a gofundme and raise a billion if he wanted to. People really want to see this work. Lots of people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed...

God put us here on Earth and we all - including this planet and everything on it will DIE!!!

Why people waste so much time and money on trying to prolong their existence on this joke of a world is beyond me. Our goal should be heaven after Judgment Day....
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everyone aspires to exploration, but this is it. It's futile, look at the numbers.

The only way to "leave" this planet is to send countless seed satellites to "colonize" another planet.

That bullshit sci-fi traveling star systems and creating a colony is just that, bullshit.
There is no star colony, it's literally impossible.

You can't communicate with star systems, there is nothing out there, it's truly impossible. There is just us right here, there is nothing else and will be nothing else for us.
We could send ourselves to other systems, but that doesn't matter, there is literally just us right here, right now, and that's all there will ever be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is we will never fix our problems at home.  Our need to expand past this rock is more important than ever, once the left consolidates absolute power do you really think they will look at space outside of some probes and telescopes?  You can’t control people you can’t reach.

Everyone aspires to exploration, but this is it. It's futile, look at the numbers.

The only way to "leave" this planet is to send countless seed satellites to "colonize" another planet.

That bullshit sci-fi traveling star systems and creating a colony is just that, bullshit.

You can't communicate with star systems, there is nothing out there, it's truly impossible. There is just us right here, there is nothing else and will be nothing else for us.
We could send ourselves to other systems, but that doesn't matter, there is literally just us right here, right now, and that's all there will ever be.

That, is an incredibly sad outlook on our future.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No me but somebody will.
View Quote

But it literally can't happen.

Light speed, it can't happen unless you're light, there's no data there except the photon.
Perhaps you can bend space, but you can't bend space, there's not enough energy.

If you convert yourself to light and transmit yourself to another world, it will take millions of years. You'll never get there in time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The only feasible way of populating other planets/systems, is with a compact set of AI surrogates that care/foster our DNA.
Once we become established on other planets, maybe we can beam ourselves or consciousness at light speed using relays to ensure integrity.

There's no way for humans to populate the galaxy except for AI bots to farm/host the environment, then raise us from seeds when the time is right.
View Quote
Well, by all means. There's no way for humans to populate other continents. We'll just have to stay in Europe.
That big scary ocean will keep us penned up.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are the single worst Debbie Downer I have ever heard - did you come here to troll this thread with your doom and gloom? Be gone with ye, and let no man remember your name.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No me but somebody will.
View Quote

Exactly..

If people like that had their way we would all still be squatting in a dark cave next to a fire hoping the animals don't eat us.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Space exploration is wrong right now, total waste of resources and man power.
They claim to know all this cool shit from telescopes and everything is so incredibly out of reach it's worthless.

Unless we fix our problems at home, who gives a shit that it would take millions of years of travel to our closest star, or whatever the number is because it doesn't matter.

We're stuck here, the other planets aren't habitable.
If you want to expend our entire planet to habit mars, go for it, I don't care.

You literally need to expend our planet to inhabit mars.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

its not a pipe dream. what they have now would be probably 1/20- the cost of SLS even if they never successfully land it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the laser takes up that much more space then...   launch fewer.

Let’s be honest, the Starship is essentially a rich man’s pipe dream...

its not a pipe dream. what they have now would be probably 1/20- the cost of SLS even if they never successfully land it.

Starship’s primary purpose is to go to Mars, not the moon.

Something tells me SpaceX won’t go out of business in the next few weeks if they can’t “get it up”...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Love spacex but Tesla within single digits of bankruptcy in 2018 and now a trillion dollar market cap company and only shows profit withing the last yr due to carbon credits

Honk!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your kind has existed throughout history. You’ve always been wrong.
View Quote

That actually hurts a lot. I am not of any "kind" and it disturbs me my fellow WY free thinking man is putting me down for thinking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tesla is almost worth more than all other car companies combined and 15x Ford.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tesla is worth like 20 times Ford. ??
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So without .gov Tesla would have failed?

Who knew people don't really want EVs...
View Quote

They can't make them fast enough.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That actually hurts a lot. I am not of any "kind" and it disturbs me my fellow WY free thinking man is putting me down for thinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is you!

And on January 13, 1920, the New York Times published an editorial insisting that a rocket couldn’t possibly work in space:

“That professor Goddard, with his ‘chair’ in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution [from which Goddard held a grant to research rocket flight], does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react — to say that would be absurd. Of course he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools.”
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They claim to know all this cool shit from telescopes and everything is so incredibly out of reach it's worthless.

Unless we fix our problems at home, who gives a shit that it would take millions of years of travel to our closest star, or whatever the number is because it doesn't matter.

View Quote

We were in the Moon during the Civil Rights crisis, riots, MLK, Malcolm X, JFK assassinations and the Vietnam war….

What’s going on today is not that big but the media is projecting it to appear worse

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Light speed, it can't happen unless you're light, there's no data there except the photon.
Perhaps you can bend space, but you can't bend space, there's not enough energy.

If you convert yourself to light and transmit yourself to another world, it will take millions of years. You'll never get there in time.
View Quote

Your entire premise is on existing mathematics that is barely a century old. That's a drop is the bucket. So there's zero possibility in any point in humanity's future that any if this can happen? Unless you have a time machine or are a wizard that kind of certainty/absolute sounds dumb.

Looksirtrolls.jpg
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't understand, I think I'm positing realistic things here.
Do you believe you will be on a ship traveling at light speed to another solar system?
View Quote

You don't travel at light speed.  You bend space around you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You are the single worst Debbie Downer I have ever heard - did you come here to troll this thread with your doom and gloom? Be gone with ye, and let no man remember your name.
View Quote

No, sorry. I got caught up in my own thoughts.

I think I speak truth in my ideas though, and its not a debbie downer situation.

If you want to expand/explore the universe it'll be straight forward. Seed the solar system with AI to raise our young.

However there's no future for us in space, run your own math, millions of years at minimum.
Scientists say our universe will be heading towards either cold/heat death by them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is you!

And on January 13, 1920, the New York Times published an editorial insisting that a rocket couldn’t possibly work in space:

“That professor Goddard, with his ‘chair’ in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution [from which Goddard held a grant to research rocket flight], does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react — to say that would be absurd. Of course he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We were in the Moon during the Civil Rights crisis, riots, MLK, Malcolm X, JFK assassinations and the Vietnam war….

What’s going on today is not that big but the media is projecting it to appear worse

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he liked this one!

Gil Scott-Heron - Whitey On the Moon (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Look at the "math."

I didn't say humans can't populate other planets, I'm saying WE can't ever venture to space.
The energy and time required is unbelievable.

You can live in your sci-fi tv episode all you want.

Fact is, you can create life on other worlds, to do that I think you need to create an ultimate AI foster parent/world builder. Then when you've send all of your world builders and AI care takers + our DNA, you'll end up with the same bullshit we have here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing the pilgrims didn't think like you.  The future is out there.

Look at the "math."

I didn't say humans can't populate other planets, I'm saying WE can't ever venture to space.
The energy and time required is unbelievable.

You can live in your sci-fi tv episode all you want.

Fact is, you can create life on other worlds, to do that I think you need to create an ultimate AI foster parent/world builder. Then when you've send all of your world builders and AI care takers + our DNA, you'll end up with the same bullshit we have here.

Don’t equate 2400 AD human beings and their capability with 2021 capability.

Our complete knowledge about the Cosmos is still very limited as is your thinking.

It’s been quite a short existence since the Roman times and I’m quite sure Ancient Romans while on guard duty looked up to the Moon and laughed at the soldier that said humans would walk on the Moon one day.

They too went through tough times as life during ancient times was pretty brutal.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

the cost of spacex is irrelevant.

Its mostly private money, with some nasa/mil contracts that they get paid a fraction of old space companies.

their annual cost to the taxpayer may be 0.1% of the federal budget.

Last week they launched for NASA the world's first test craft to deflect an asteroid in a test.

Even if we never live offworld the possible cost vs reward ratio of this is effectively infinite.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think I speak truth in my ideas though, and its not a debbie downer situation.

If you want to expand/explore the universe it'll be straight forward. Seed the solar system with AI to raise our young.

However there's no future for us in space, run your own math, millions of years at minimum.
Scientists say our universe will be heading towards either cold/heat death by them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Email from starlink last week said further delays due to chip shortages.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No me but somebody will.

Not too familiar with time dilation due to high velocities, are you?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Email from starlink last week said further delays due to chip shortages.
View Quote

mine said shipped
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Your entire premise is on existing mathematics that is barely a century old. That's a drop is the bucket. So there's zero possibility in any point in humanity's future that any if this can happen? Unless you have a time machine or are a wizard that kind of certainty/absolute sounds dumb.

Looksirtrolls.jpg
View Quote

Scientists say space is expanding, we're in the prime for viewing our "13.7 billion" year window of the universe.

You can't make more energy than the universe, you can't create energy.

If someone creates an energy vacuum to travel faster than space, neat. There's no point, you can't bring a planet of people with you, the required energy is incalculable, it's our physics.

Our only hope is to shoot some planet forming robots and our dna to another place.
But it will take so much energy and resources, we'd only transfer ourselves.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not too familiar with time dilation due to high velocities, are you?
View Quote

Is there a higher velocity than light?

Light doesn't experience time. Time still exists. By the time you get there...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I do not believe the validity of this article from Gizmodo, anyone see other sources ?
View Quote
It's on the internet so it has to be true.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

mine said shipped
View Quote

What a waste of time and money!

Smoke signals and carrier pigeons are the only things that are and ever will be anything else is impossible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are huge amounts of resources out there just waiting for someone to take them.    Get to the asteroid belt and you could send asteroids back to mine at our leisure.   The way to make out planet better is to keep pushing out and growing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is there a higher velocity than light?

Light doesn't experience time. Time still exists. By the time you get there...
View Quote

Actually relativistic time dilation is a thing. More Lorentz factor (i.e. higher gamma) equals a shorter perceived journey for the crew of a fast ship. The novel Tau Zero shows a rather exaggerated version of this

Information traveling by laser would not take millions of years to reach the nearest planets. The nearest star system, which does have planets, is about 4.3 ly away.

A society which listens to people like you as a society that is dying
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But no, guaranteed on here Arfcom, the worship of Elon remains strong
View Quote

He's a shit-posting nerd, I've no idea what you're suprised by the worship.

SpaceX are also doing some genuinely cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What a waste of time and money!

Smoke signals and carrier pigeons are the only things that are and ever will be anything else is impossible.
View Quote

thats basically what i have now, like 2mbt dsl
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No me but somebody will.

So they'll keep working and find a way to break the law.   Jump drives or Warp drives or Gateways or something else.  Lots of possibilities.   In a worst case scenario you can do generation ships or put everyone in some sort of cryogenic state and thaw them out when you get there.   A solution will be found.  The trick is to keep moving and growing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
or IPO and...
View Quote

Yea blowing smoke. They could raise A ton of money on a ipo and associated bond issued.

I tend to think Musk is vaporware but I do believe in the potential of space x and would personally invest in it.

Also on a starlink waiting list. I could do a wireless antenna for more money and a slower speed, but starlink is a legitimate offering if they can bring cost down.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why people waste so much time and money on trying to prolong their existence on this joke of a world is beyond me. Our goal should be heaven after Judgment Day....
View Quote

At what point does a lack of effort in self sustainment become suicide?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Sweatshop, work this weekend for free
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, your way is the only way and it’s the only way things could possibly work.

Life might be more enjoyable if you dial your ego back from 11 to like 3.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Scientists say space is expanding, we're in the prime for viewing our "13.7 billion" year window of the universe.

You can't make more energy than the universe, you can't create energy.

If someone creates an energy vacuum to travel faster than space, neat. There's no point, you can't bring a planet of people with you, the required energy is incalculable, it's our physics.

Our only hope is to shoot some planet forming robots and our dna to another place.
But it will take so much energy and resources, we'd only transfer ourselves.
View Quote

"Scientists say......it's our physics...." Lol you totally missed the point of undiscovered physics. Almost like our understanding of physics and the universe changes over time. Weird. You are fixated on solely what we know now. As if we as a species have all it all figured out.

smellsliketrollpoop.gif
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

thats basically what i have now, like 2mbt dsl
View Quote

I hear if you give your pigeon Red Bull you can get at least 2.5
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
At a valuation of $1 Trillion, Tesla is worth more than the other car companies combined
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thousands, not millions.

Arranging for the receiving equipment to be operational at the right time is an interesting challenge.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#49]
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision." -- xkcd
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is you!

Nice to know that journalists with high school educations thinking that they're qualified to comment on anything is a time-honoured tradition.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top