Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you do, I read it in another thread. Can we expect samples??
My non-arfcommer friend who will probably be riding with us also has a Sena, he is helping me figure it all out. I guess the ole days of waving arms and hands around to signal are being left behind. Anyway, looking at the Sena 5s and SMH 10-11 now. I like my modular helmet and will be wearing it.

Johnny, We are expecting the same thing. One thing I am looking forward to is clear night skies. We always have a haze here, can't see much at all.
I have been staring at the map. So much to see and do out west there is no way to cover it all. Even the return trip has so many options. One thing I really want to do is visit the National Firearms Museum in Cody, Wy. We will be riding the Oregon coast highwau for a bit. think of it as a northen section of the pacific coast highway.
None of this needs to be decided now, it should make for great conversation at a dive bar or over a campfire somewhere along the way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We exchanged some emails about the DR650 but I don't think we talked professions.   You have me guessing something in the manufacturing or distribution of alcoholic beverages.  If so, you are a brave man to share that with the group.  LOL.  Everyone will be asking for samples.
View Quote

We have two companies one is a log home manufacturer/ builder.

But at 8 tomorrow morning I will be firing these up as I start to teach a new distiller…if he has what it takes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
For me the thing I am looking forward to is the canyon lands. I have been to 19 countries but never out to the true west of our own country. I want to see those sharp cut valleys through the desert.

I had never seen a southwest desert until I was in Mexico and it blew my mind.

I would like to see a grizzly…from the bike and Buffalo I don't know if there are porcupine out there but that would be awesome as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We have two companies one is a log home manufacturer/ builder.

But at 8 tomorrow morning I will be firing these up as I start to teach a new distiller…if he has what it takes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/F9D47CFD-C584-472B-8BED-7583ED737315_jpe-2246749.JPG
View Quote

Nice! How did you get into the distillery business?

My wife would love to do something like that, but I tell her we should have started 15 years ago. I will be dead before the whiskey is ready.  LOL.  We toured 45th parallel distillery in Western WI and she was pretty inspired - maybe not as a business but as a labor of love / hobby.  When in Scotland we had a marathon Whisky drinking session with the bartender at the Lake of Menteith Hotel.  We are pretty basic Scotch drinkers though. Nothing crazy or into collecting.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nice! How did you get into the distillery business?

My wife would love to do something like that, but I tell her we should have started 15 years ago. I will be dead before the whiskey is ready.  LOL.  We toured 45th parallel distillery in Western WI and she was pretty inspired - maybe not as a business but as a labor of love / hobby.  When in Scotland we had a marathon Whisky drinking session with the bartender at the Lake of Menteith Hotel.  We are pretty basic Scotch drinkers though. Nothing crazy or into collecting.

View Quote

We knew we needed to diversify and thought when would be a good time to launch a new business…September 2020 right in the middle of that which must not be named.

A dirty secret…though we make more bourbon than anything I actually drink more scotch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We knew we needed to diversify and thought when would be a good time to launch a new business…September 2020 right in the middle of that which must not be named.

A dirty secret…though we make more bourbon than anything I actually drink more scotch.
View Quote

Kudos to you for having the ambition to do all of that.   A question. If you guys have only been distilling for 2 years, I assume your first batch of whisky is still in barrels aging.   Are you outsourcing a bourbon until yours is ready?  Are you selling gin or vodka now?   Sorry for all the questions, but I think it is a fascinating business idea.

I know you were planning a trip to Scotland.  Research?  Is that off now?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the 'committed' rider tally so far?

Which one is more technical, Imogen or Black Bear? I did Engineer, Cinammon, Corkscrew, Animas & Hurricane all in one day with a group from WestFest a few years ago. I know Black Bear is the most technical in the area, just can't remember what to look forward to on Imogene.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Bourbon and log homes?....heaven. I started ours in 2010, and it took me about 2.5 years to finish it. No kit, just a Woodmizer LT15 sawmill, 300 6x6 Eastern Red Cedar 8' logs and a determined bastard of Irish descent. The wife snapped this pic on the phone while taking our 3 Welsh Terriers for a romp in the snow:

I documented my build on a blog if anyone is interested. Warning: it's 236 pages long, but it has lot's of pic's for the Neanderthals:
Log Home build

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Even though we are distilling bourbon…literally now, we do source just like all new distilleries and many of the big names as well. We do proof and bottle here though.

We make vodka and gin as well which of course don’t need to age.

The gin is actually the hardest to make by far. Vodka is easy as we use GNS, and bourbon is easy in the sense we just use the same repeatable steps and if the equipment is good then there usually won’t be issues.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Three so far, a couple of meet ups in various locations.
Five months is a long way off so who knows how many will make it.

Which one is more technical, Imogen or Black Bear? I did Engineer, Cinammon, Corkscrew, Animas & Hurricane all in one day with a group from WestFest a few years ago. I know Black Bear is the most technical in the area, just can't remember what to look forward to on Imogene.

As a Floridian all I can say is I haven't the least idea but am willing to try.

Update. 4 riders now. As of this morning my friend and fellow rider committed also. He ain't on Arfcom but he would fit in well here. He will be on a DR650.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For me the thing I am looking forward to is the canyon lands. I have been to 19 countries but never out to the true west of our own country. I want to see those sharp cut valleys through the desert.

I had never seen a southwest desert until I was in Mexico and it blew my mind.

I would like to see a grizzly…from the bike and Buffalo I don't know if there are porcupine out there but that would be awesome as well.
View Quote

@canoeguy

After retiring I spent 3 months riding; up to Alaska then back through the western states.

I was in Kings Canyon National Park when a fellow camper walked in and started discussing great places to ride. I told him I wanted to see some great canyon sites, and he recommended a ride through a very remote area in S.W. Utah.

Just North of Boulder, UT (not Boulder, CO.) , there is road that heads East that follows an old cattle trail. It is named the "Burr Trail". This turns into a gravel road that brings you through portions of Capital Reef National Park and Grand Staircase Escalante Park. The sights are amazing and it drops you through a canyon with switchbacks. It is VERY rural there and I literally saw one person in there all day long.

It was the only time during my trip that I was truly concerned for my well being ( I was riding solo). Road eventually turned to sand and I ran through that for a couple of hours.

Of all the days I spent on the road, this one day of riding was my most memorable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even though we are distilling bourbon…literally now, we do source just like all new distilleries and many of the big names as well. We do proof and bottle here though.

We make vodka and gin as well which of course don’t need to age.

The gin is actually the hardest to make by far. Vodka is easy as we use GNS, and bourbon is easy in the sense we just use the same repeatable steps and if the equipment is good then there usually won’t be issues.
View Quote

What is your time projection for when your barreled in house whiskeys will be available?  I think people would be surprised how many brands of liquor don't even have a distillery but are outsourcing their products indefinitely.   Producing your own completely in house is a ton of time and work, but I bet it'll be very rewarding. I think this is a fascinating subject. I will try not to bombard you with too many question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@canoeguy

After retiring I spent 3 months riding; up to Alaska then back through the western states.

I was in Kings Canyon National Park when a fellow camper walked in and started discussing great places to ride. I told him I wanted to see some great canyon sites, and he recommended a ride through a very remote area in S.W. Utah.

Just North of Boulder, UT (not Boulder, CO.) , there is road that heads East that follows an old cattle trail. It is named the "Burr Trail". This turns into a gravel road that brings you through portions of Capital Reef National Park and Grand Staircase Escalante Park. The sights are amazing and it drops you through a canyon with switchbacks. It is VERY rural there and I literally saw one person in there all day long.

It was the only time during my trip that I was truly concerned for my well being ( I was riding solo). Road eventually turned to sand and I ran through that for a couple of hours.

Of all the days I spent on the road, this one day of riding was my most memorable.
View Quote

That's awesome. I am off to look at google maps now.

On my Mexico/ Central America trip I often found the best things from wrong turns and being completely lost.

Quoted:

What is your time projection for when your barreled in house whiskeys will be available?  I think people would be surprised how many brands of liquor don't even have a distillery but are outsourcing their products indefinitely.   Producing your own completely in house is a ton of time and work, but I bet it'll be very rewarding. I think this is a fascinating subject. I will try not to bombard you with too many question.
View Quote

Yea, I didn't mean to derail the thread but I am happy to answer questions. On our bourbon we are likely looking at another 2.5 years. Rye may be sooner. I am wanting to do a single malt soon which may be more like three years.

We always have the option of blending our in house bourbon with another older bourbon for something unique. Though honestly our bourbon is already a little different with more Barley and less corn than most
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The Burr trail is awesome. West to east and it ends at Lake Powell where you have to take a ferry to the other side.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Update. 4 riders now. As of this morning my friend and fellow rider committed also. He ain't on Arfcom but he would fit in well here. He will be on a DR650.
View Quote

A man of discerning tastes.

I have full intentions of going short of some calamity transpiring. The Wife and I were planning a trip to Scotland but we have postponed it until fall due to the restrictions they still have, we don't want our trip there tainted with stupidity. Of course I was planning on riding SOuth this fall but again, this questionable restrictions and border crossings as well as dealing with so many issues at our businesses with supply lines and etc. I need to delay that another year.

I have a short laundry list of things I want to do to the bike though I could leave tomorrow and be just fine.

I currently have Kenda K270s on the bike which I think will be about perfect for the east, though I don't love the way the front act in curves. But out west I will get more aggressive. I Have heard about some good combos using a tusk rear and a D60 front. Coming home I may switch to Shinko 705s
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Working on bike mods too. Later today I have a Sena SMH10-11 (maybe?) arriving and will be installing it. JNS Engineering skidplate and Seat Concepts seat also on the way. A set of Kenda 257D to be drop shipped to Colorado for the mountains and I like the 705s for the return trip. Just replaced both sprockets and chain and will be checking the valves and retiming the exhaust cam this weekend. Still like my Versapack bags and topping it with a good old fashion duffle bag strapped on the seat behind me. Haven't decided about driving lights yet, I just don't foresee a lot of riding in the dark. I need to pick out a tank bag if for no other reason than to keep something to drink and snack on while riding (modular helmets kick ass) If I still lack for storage (which I doubt) then maybe something to hang off the crash bars. Cold weather gear will be boxed up with the tires and sent ahead when it is time. If I can find my old hippo hands they will go to.
Maybe I should replace the turn signals I lost a decade ago? Nah, why would I need them?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could join you guys, but I will be returning from a 2-month long solo trip around then.  Heading west to ride four of the BDRs - NV, WA, ID, and UT - depending on snowpack, of course.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Cogent shock inbound in 3-4 weeks.  Shinko 244s sitting here to replace the original trailwings.  Looking to Mosko Moto or Tusk rackless.  Undecided on the concept of changing tires along the route. I am a pretty average rider and will take any single track or roads with a drop of death somewhat conservatively.  Not a speed demon by any stretch. The first part of the ride is so different than the second part road wise.  Really different mission entirely.  I have not used the 244s but they are a compromise.

Planning on installing Acerbis tank this spring as well.  The extra 100+ miles between gas stations will be nice.

Otherwise, bike is all dialed in and ready to go.  Planning on using Gaia GPS on my phone for nav.  Paper maps might be nice for planning.

My dilemma is where to meet up with you guys.  My house to the official start is 20+ hours at highway speeds.  Not a forte of a loaded DR650 and prefer to start the ride with a fresh rider and bike.  Meeting in Tennessee doesn't save that much riding time.  I looked into renting a truck or trailer but not as simple or reasonably priced as you would think.  I do not plan on returning to start so bringing my own trailer and vehicle does not make a lot of sense. Decisions.....  My plan as of right now is to leave 3 days before start and avoid interstates and meet in NC.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
20 hours is a haul. I have about 10 or so. Just under 600 miles. But for me I can’t stand the thought of not dipping my tire in the Atlantic at the start and the Pacific at the end. When I first started looking the trail years ago it started in TN but I knew I would leave from the coast even then.

I am an average rider at best as well. I will not be fast on the tougher sections though from the vids I have seen they don’t actually look that bad. But…I know that can be deceptive and it will depend greatly on trail conditions. I have found if I just let my bike do it’s thing and I go along for the ride it usually turns out alright.

I am pretty much positive I will go reckless and really like the Giant loop coyote or Great Basin for it’s ridiculous simplicity and light weight.

The last big upgrade for my bike is better brakes. I already did the Cogent upgrade as you likely remember and good lord is it better. I also may put a trail tech Vapor on.

I am hoping I can nurse the tires I have on now which are in good shape until I change them in the west. If not I will likely waste a few thousand miles on whatever set I use. It will depend on how much riding I get in on the DR before departure. If I do a rally like March Motor Madness, which I probably will I seriously doubt I can get them to last that long. The eastern section may be much easier but still a number of water crossing and dirt.  I would hate to have drops just because I was too cheap to have decent tires. But…I am cheap ;)
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#20]
We are about 900 miles/14 hours away. Our plan is rent a 1/2 ton pick up, load the bikes and drive up. Once there we return the truck and drive off into the sunrise.
Oh, Will be getting to Cape Hatteras on the 18th, not the 17th. Still leaving on the 20th.
And yes, we are both working on our bikes trying not to over think things.
Nav will be GaiaGPS, OSMand+ and maybe a Garmin (If I can get it to do what I want it to do) There will be a primary cell phone and a second unconnected (No sim) cell for navigation. Probably be a compass jammed in there somewhere just in case.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We are about 900 miles/14 hours away. Our plan is rent a 1/2 ton pick up, load the bikes and drive up. Once there we return the truck and drive off into the sunrise.
Oh, Will be getting to Cape Hatteras on the 18th, not the 17th. Still leaving on the 20th.
Nav will be GaiaGPS, OSMand+ and maybe a Garmin (If I can get it to do what I want it to do) There will be a primary cell phone and a second unconnected (No sim) cell for navigation. Probably be a compass jammed in there somewhere just in case.
View Quote

I had thought about renting an F150, but as a solo guy, would have to bring a ramp which I would have no idea what to do with once I get to NC.  I suppose I could go on ADV board and donate it to a local once I unload the bike.  The closest area that I could find where I could drop off a rental truck is New Bern.  Some logistics to work out.   Might be easiest just to get on the bike and ride.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had thought about renting an F150, but as a solo guy, would have to bring a ramp which I would have no idea what to do with once I get to NC.  I suppose I could go on ADV board and donate it to a local once I unload the bike.  The closest area that I could find where I could drop off a rental truck is New Bern.  Some logistics to work out.   Might be easiest just to get on the bike and ride.
View Quote

You obviously have longer to ride than I and it is slab which can be painful at times.

But I am looking at it as all being part of my journey. I mean this is going to be a 10-12 thousand mile trip for me so what’s a little more. I am going to leave probably 2-3 days early and enjoy the ride to Hatteras as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Find a loading dock to unload the bike. Or buy a 2x12 from home depot. No need to waste a ramp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Just back the rear end into a ditch and unload.
Here is how I did an FJR out of the back of a 4wd F250 at daytona years ago.
It works even better for dirt bikes.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Plus they will be a few of us there surely we can manhandle it off or find a good bank.

ETA: Especially if you put that pig on a diet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Find a loading dock to unload the bike. Or buy a 2x12 from home depot. No need to waste a ramp.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.  Getting it loaded isn't the issue since I will be home.  The unload is the tough part.  A loading dock or ditch is a decent idea.  Have you ever loaded a large motorcycle using a 2 X 12??  I would think flex, wheel slippage, and narrow platform would be an issue.  It also has to be secured to tailgate somehow so it doesn't shift.  I would be better off just riding it off the back trials style I think.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Plus they will be a few of us there surely we can manhandle it off or find a good bank.

ETA: Especially if you put that pig on a diet.
View Quote

Yeah. 2 or 3 of us could easily lift it down.  The only problem is logistics of doing all of that, returning the rented truck, and getting to back to the campsite. I am sure it is all surmountable, but I hate imposing on others to solve issues.  I have done the drive from WI to the east coast in a car and frankly it is mind numbing until you get East of Ohio.  Plenty of time to figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do you think you will be returning a rental truck?  Will you take the bikes off the truck at the rental agency and then drive to campsite? If so, we could consider coordinating our arrival and we can help each other unload the bikes.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I had found some reservations but can't find them again. However the plan is just unload them at the rental return place or maybe across the street then ride the rest of the way in. Even an hour or two ride is no big thing considering what we are about to do.
I do think coordinating unloading is a good idea. Even if we arrive different days just give me a call (We are going to need to share our phone numbers eventually, there will be times we will need to coordinate various things) and I/we can ride to help out with unloading.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#30]
We can figure it out fellows. I will likely leave Friday afternoon and knowing me I will be there at a decent hour on Saturday.

We can always double up to get back to camp. Who wants to be my bitch?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Picts?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered my 320mm rotor and bracket to move the caliper. I will also swap the lines with stainless steel lines.

Probably not 100% necessary but I like the idea of a little better brakes with a loaded DR coming down a steep pass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
This would be an ideal weapon for the gnarly spots. I don’t have a lot of technical riding around here, but when the weather is good I average 70 miles of dirt road riding most Mondays.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I could make this one work in a pinch.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We can figure it out fellows. I will likely leave Friday afternoon and knowing me I will be there at a decent hour on Saturday.

We can always double up to get back to camp. Who wants to be my bitch?
View Quote

It depends on how far it would be to walk.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just ordered my 320mm rotor and bracket to move the caliper. I will also swap the lines with stainless steel lines.

Probably not 100% necessary but I like the idea of a little better brakes with a loaded DR coming down a steep pass.
View Quote

You don't put in neutral and coast down to save gas?  Once I get the tank swapped out, will check the valves, put on the new tires, and I should be good to go. Trying to decide on heated bar grips. I used to be the guy who could cross country ski or run in light gloves 10-20 below F, but if I am out in 20 degree weather or colder now my hands hate me after 30 minutes.  Looking at the Tusk heated bar tape that goes under the grips.  I would just use toe warms in my boot if it is really cold.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You don't put in neutral and coast down to save gas?
View Quote

Lol, I was talking to a customer at the bar yesterday who recently lost his brakes on his ATV with the family inside. It shook them up pretty well.

I lost the brakes on a little car in Panama. I no shit had to use the emergency brake. My Peruvian translator was less than impressed ;)
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Man, just throw on Oxford grips. They are absolutely the answer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Depending on my racing schedule and when/where you all will be, I might try to catch up along the way and ride a section with y'all. I am on a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Depending on my racing schedule and when/where you all will be, I might try to catch up along the way and ride a section with y'all. I am on a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports.

View Quote

You race bikes?
You should have no problem catching us...
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You race bikes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You race bikes?

Lol, no kidding. We will be the ones in your mirrors for a few seconds after you pass us.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum but met Canoeguy through the Adventure Bike forum when I asked him if he'd like to ride the TAT together. He mentioned a group from the AR15 forum was planning the ride and he was actually part of that group. This group sounded like a great match and Canoeguy was kind enough to float my joining, so I'm in.

I've been thinking about this ride for a couple years and am looking forward to joining you guys in Cape Hatteras in June. I'll be riding a Yamaha XT250 that is slowly getting ready for the trip. I've been on and off bikes for years with a fair amount of dirt experience and to a lesser degree road experience. I'll be coming from Western Montana and currently am planning on shipping my bike to Raleigh and then a fly and ride to the start.

I'll be following along from here on out
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum but met Canoeguy through the Adventure Bike forum when I asked him if he'd like to ride the TAT together. He mentioned a group from the AR15 forum was planning the ride and he was actually part of that group. This group sounded like a great match and Canoeguy was kind enough to float my joining, so I'm in.

I've been thinking about this ride for a couple years and am looking forward to joining you guys in Cape Hatteras in June. I'll be riding a Yamaha XT250 that is slowly getting ready for the trip. I've been on and off bikes for years with a fair amount of dirt experience and to a lesser degree road experience. I'll be coming from Western Montana and currently am planning on shipping my bike to Raleigh and then a fly and ride to the start.

I'll be following along from here on out
View Quote

Good to have you.  I am coming from WI and I am contemplating riding to the start (20+ hours) or renting a pick up and hauling myself.   I looked at shipping but didn't come up with an option that looked great.  I was on UShip, but that seemed like there was potential for some sketchy or unreliable shippers.  Have you found a good resource?

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#44]
What is everyones plan for the trip back east?
My plan is to meet up with everyone else somewhere around Trinidad.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good to have you.  I am coming from WI and I am contemplating riding to the start (20+ hours) or renting a pick up and hauling myself.   I looked at shipping but didn't come up with an option that looked great.  I was on UShip, but that seemed like there was potential for some sketchy or unreliable shippers.  Have you found a good resource?

View Quote

Thanks for the welcome. My plan is to use a shipper named Lugnut Transport (509-270-8211) I haven't personally used them, but a couple friends have. Chris the owner picked a bike up at my place and seemed professional. If for some reason Lugnut doesn't workout I'd likely use HaulBikes (they move all the Mecum Auction bikes, but are towards the top of the cost curve). The hard part is getting the bike dropped off in NC, I have a someone lined up from the ADV forum who's willing to hold the bike near Raleigh until I get there. I've also tried to find a backup for drop off without much luck so far. Regardless of who you use lead-time seems to be key, I'd figure at least a month (probably longer) between scheduling and pickup and drop off. For example, I'm calling Lugnut in early April.

I haven't totally abandoned the idea of renting a van and would be willing to explore that option further.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Done the CO BDR, last part of NM BDR, and Wyoming TAT.  Had a blast on a big bike, but a smaller bike would make it easier, until you get on the pavement.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Socal996, welcome aboard for both the ride and the website. Every week it gets closer and I can feel myself getting more excited about it. I am sure Canoeguy has told you all about it but if you have any suggestions or questions feel free to throw them out here.
MPatch, Looking at the maps Trinidad looks like a great place to stop and a tire change.
Anyway, it is nice to see the roster filling out. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Are we talking Trinidad Colorado? Is there a bike shop there?

I am going to admit I haven't really looked at the route much at all until this morning.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are we talking Trinidad Colorado? Is there a bike shop there?

I am going to admit I haven't really looked at the route much at all until this morning.
View Quote
Yes Trinidad CO. I have no idea if there's a bike shop there. It's a pretty small town. Kind of a shit hole unless you need a transformation.

I finally looked at the route last night and that would be the beginning of the mountains.

ets: Depending on what bike I take I may haul down to there because it is a almost 5 hour ride for me to get there and there's no good way without taking the interstate. If I do haul my bike down there I can bring whatever people need for tires and what not.

edit again:
this came up on a search
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#50]
During my conversations here the topic of prepping for the cold has come up. I am operating under the assumption the only real chance for cold is in the mountains of Colorado. I looked at the map and it seems to me that is only about a 200 mile stretch at most. So, would this section be a single day long? two days? What about Utah etc.?
I look at Trinidad on the maps. There is a big ol' Post Office, a Walmart and apparently a gun range outside of town. Don't know about a bike shop but should be everything else we might desire there.

In that 200 mile stretch I am referring to the big mountains, the ones where it has the best chance of freezing my balls to the seat.

ETA; A TAT store? a freakin' store that specializes in TAT riders? That is awesome. I bet they have stuff I had no idea I needed there!
That should also have tires so no need to ship anything ahead. I wonder if they accept bounce boxes?

ETA II;
Topar Racing, they even have a KLR as the first picture on Google maps. A KLR, you know they have to be good.....

ETA III;
Wondering if I could call them in advance and have them order some tires for me? maybe a group discount if enough of us wanted to do that.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top