Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to keep this thread going.  I am spending the winter getting bike ready. Did the NSU fix that DR650s are known for. Warp 9 case protectors.  New tubes and Shinko 244 tires.  Ordered a new cogent Mojave pro rear shock.  I am looking at Mosco Moto or Tusk rackless panniers.  I am coming from Wisconsin. Will likely ride bike down to near start of trail or 1/4 way point.

Let's all keep in touch. Summer will be here before you know it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome! That’s on my bucket list to do. I used to have a DR650 which was a great bike but a little heavy and the weight distribution wasn’t great. Now I ride a WR250R, I’d have no reservations riding it cross country any time it’s a great little bike. A Husky 701 would be a nice upgrade though
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re doing a cogent rear you really should do the cogent valves and springs for the forks too. Really changes the way it rides.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The ride is definitely still on. I just figured out a way to get over one trip timing problem I was having. The only thing I have to finalize is whether to stick with my current soft bags or look for some that might work better.
This will be a great ride. A group of pro-gun riders. How can it not be a good time?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ride is definitely still on. I just figured out a way to get over one trip timing problem I was having. The only thing I have to finalize is whether to stick with my current soft bags or look for some that might work better.
This will be a great ride. A group of pro-gun riders. How can it not be a good time?
View Quote

What bags do you have now?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Versapacks. Yep, they are actually for horses but they work pretty good on a bike. I will also have some sort of luggage for the rear rack but haven't decided what yet. My gear tends to be an eclectic mixture of riding, hiking and even sailing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really,really,really want to do a TAT or CDT ride.

I’ve watched a bunch of vloggers do them, Ride on Amigos is my favorite.  
View Quote

Shadetree Surgeon just started a build series on converting a Harley Davidson Sportster into a Dirtster with plans to ride the TAT next year.

Getting invited to do a 9-day course on adventure bike riding with a bunch of vloggers using new Harley Pan Ams done affected that boy.  Don't know if it was the ride or the female vloggers he was with, but first thing he did when he got back to FL was to buy the Sportster and start ordering parts.

It's got me thinking of what would be needed to build a Dirt Glide to go play in the dirt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

converting a Harley Davidson Sportster into a Dirtster
View Quote
That's what got me into the whole adv deal.
Think at the time they called them gravel burners.
I was babysitting a sportster and my mind went wandering and the rest is history.
Prior to that I was a dirt bike guy who also had street bikes.
Granted that was before the explosion of the whole adv crap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
OP- sent you several messages and emails. Never heard back.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP- sent you several messages and emails. Never heard back.
View Quote

@Kornbread
That's strange. I got one IM from you on the 10th and replied but nothing since then. Try sending again, I will clear out my IM inbox. As for email, well it has problems. best to avoid it but I will also look through all the filters there and see if anything has been blocked.

OK, this is getting weird, I have tried IM using computer and phone using 4 different browsers and not a single message is showing as sent after sending it.
This might take a bit. I will keep trying. If a IM does actually make it through let me know.

Found the Email IM alert from the 10th, I replied using the email address listed in there. Let me know if this makes it through.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Tentative departure date will be 6Jun out of Cape Hatteras. I plan on being there at least two days earlier. A pre departure meeting will be scheduled on the 4th or 5th for anyone who wants to sit down and go over everything before leaving. Location of meeting etc. will be decided later.
I am really looking forward to this. I think there will be a few others joining in for at least a day or two along the way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shadetree Surgeon just started a build series on converting a Harley Davidson Sportster into a Dirtster with plans to ride the TAT next year.

Getting invited to do a 9-day course on adventure bike riding with a bunch of vloggers using new Harley Pan Ams done affected that boy.  Don't know if it was the ride or the female vloggers he was with, but first thing he did when he got back to FL was to buy the Sportster and start ordering parts.

It's got me thinking of what would be needed to build a Dirt Glide to go play in the dirt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really,really,really want to do a TAT or CDT ride.

I’ve watched a bunch of vloggers do them, Ride on Amigos is my favorite.  

RTW Doug on ADV rider built a Dirtster and rode that thing all over the place.  

https://advrider.com/f/threads/can-a-harley-make-it-to-magadan.681994/

He did the TAT on a Ural.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Versapacks. Yep, they are actually for horses but they work pretty good on a bike. I will also have some sort of luggage for the rear rack but haven't decided what yet. My gear tends to be an eclectic mixture of riding, hiking and even sailing.
View Quote

Anything works if it's waterproof and you have enough bungie cords.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends use bungies on their dual sports.  

Use Rok straps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I just started talking to the wife tonight about my ride south of the border looking to be pretty screwed yet again. In fact I will make a post in my thread expressing some of my concerns about the coming year.

With that in mind I just broke the ice about doing this trip in June. I don’t need to convince her, she always supports me 100%…it is more like I need to come to grips with reality in my own situation and with the international situation on my own planned trip.

Choices must be made.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m in if I can get off work, whenever y’all have some solid dates I’ll know for sure. I’ll try to take most of June off next time vacation picks come around.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I mentioned before I'm down to meet up once you hit the Rockies.
I do have an extra bike if someone is truly interested and has some experience.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tentative departure date will be 6Jun out of Cape Hatteras. I plan on being there at least two days earlier. A pre departure meeting will be scheduled on the 4th or 5th for anyone who wants to sit down and go over everything before leaving. Location of meeting etc. will be decided later.
I am really looking forward to this. I think there will be a few others joining in for at least a day or two along the way.
View Quote

I have not done the TAT but most people have advised that the mountains might still be snow covered in June.  I suppose a detour is always possible.  Any thoughts on leaving a bit later in June?
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Later is definitely possible. I believe leaving early June will put us in the Rockies around the beginning of July. Of course I could be wrong. Are there any locals here that could help us out on this? Should the passes be rideable at the beginning of July?
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
@canoeguy  can you post a link to your thread, i have searched and can not find it. (I've read it before)
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@canoeguy  can you post a link to your thread, i have searched and can not find it. (I've read it before)
View Quote

Tierra del Fuego
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Later is definitely possible. I believe leaving early June will put us in the Rockies around the beginning of July. Of course I could be wrong. Are there any locals here that could help us out on this? Should the passes be rideable at the beginning of July?
View Quote
There is no way to know.
Some years by mid June most stuff is open and rideable other years it's not until mid July.
All depends on snowpack and when the snow stops.
What normally screws things up is if we get a late season dumping.
Your best bet is to have a backup plan incase certain areas are still snowed in and or closed.
So far this year we really haven't had any snow but that can change real fast.
March is historically the snowiest month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RTW Doug on ADV rider built a Dirtster and rode that thing all over the place.  

https://advrider.com/f/threads/can-a-harley-make-it-to-magadan.681994/

He did the TAT on a Ural.  
View Quote

Adam Sandoval has jumped into the "Build a Dirtster" game for the 2022 riding season.  Haven't heard his plans but he may be another TAT rider in 2022.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no way to know.
Some years by mid June most stuff is open and rideable other years it's not until mid July.
All depends on snowpack and when the snow stops.
What normally screws things up is if we get a late season dumping.
Your best bet is to have a backup plan incase certain areas are still snowed in and or closed.
So far this year we really haven't had any snow but that can change real fast.
March is historically the snowiest month.
View Quote

Thanks for the information. I would think that a mid July arrival would be best if people do not want to detour.   Good to have a back up plan for something so weather dependent.

I am definitely up for doing this and am 100% committed to a group thing. I have done most of my riding solo, and would theoretically be capable, but some of the areas are slightly treacherous to be completely on your own out there.  I would either trailer bike down to the start of ride, or ride and meet somewhere around Tennessee.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#25]
After checking up on a few things I am going to keep the 5Jun start date. Of course this is subject to further revision as we get closer.
I was Army, not a Marine but I do completely agree with their motto, "Semper Gumby". Ya know, that would make a great operational name for a cross country ride....
I have been looking into the Cape Hatteras area. If a delayed start is needed I know I could easily spend a week or two just poking around the area looking at things.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Trying to figure riding gear for something like this sucks. It will be summer weather down low and then climbing to snowy passes. Especially on bikes you are trying to keep as light as possible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Trying to figure riding gear for something like this sucks. It will be summer weather down low and then climbing to snowy passes. Especially on bikes you are trying to keep as light as possible.
View Quote

Would it be feasible to ship your cooler weather gear to some location out west?
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Would it be feasible to ship your cooler weather gear to some location out west?
View Quote

Possibly. I would be putting different tires on out west anyway. But then at the end you are riding all the way back across the US. Or possibly shipping the bike, but likely riding.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I can meet you all in OK and do that section with you all (all of oklahoma). Will need to get some phone numbers. But I will drive down day before. Setup camp. Then you we could meet the next day. Do all of ok.

I am interested in a 2026 trip.I know its early but never too early to plat for a tat trip. I retire in 2025 from the Army. If anyone wants to add me to the list for 2026 feel free.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#30]
USPS general delivery is awesome for stuff like this. Long distance hikers use it to mail resupplies to themselves. Works great for food. Simply fill up a box with cold weather (or whatever) gear and mail it ahead. When finished box it back up and mail it home. I have even thought of setting up a set of tires at home and if I need them a quick call and wifey will drop them off at the post office to be sent wherever they need to go. I will be doing this for my cold weather gear.
Reminds me of another thing I tell people. The most important to take with you on any trip is... a credit card... You can almost always make it at least a couple days with what you have on you and that is enough time to find what you need.
Well, at least in the USA. South America is a bit different.
For those who might not be familar with it, General delivery FAQ
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
USPS general delivery is awesome for stuff like this. Long distance hikers use it to mail resupplies to themselves. Works great for food. Simply fill up a box with cold weather (or whatever) gear and mail it ahead. When finished box it back up and mail it home. I have even thought of setting up a set of tires at home and if I need them a quick call and wifey will drop them off at the post office to be sent wherever they need to go. I will be doing this for my cold weather gear.
Reminds me of another thing I tell people. The most important to take with you on any trip is... a credit card... You can almost always make it at least a couple days with what you have on you and that is enough time to find what you need.
Well, at least in the USA. South America is a bit different.
For those who might not be familar with it, General delivery FAQ
View Quote

We ship daily UPS from here so no issue getting it out.  But then do you ship back your summer gear you will need for the journey home or try to pack it along?

The South America ride is going to be the same issue through Mexico and C.A. except the vast majority of the trip is in cooler weather. I would need to start my TAT research again and get a feel for how much is at elevation and cooler weather. I suspect everything past Oklahoma.

Isn't there two different guys laying out routes for the TAT. The original dude and then another?
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Summer gear takes up a lot less space so it is more of a convenience thing. You can also ship it ahead. I.E. ship your cold weather gear to...umm.. Denver(?)/wherever just before you need it and ship your summer gear ahead to the other side of the mountains. Once you are back in the warm areas send the cold weather gear back home. (simple random bounce box usage)
Sam (the original) and  Kevin are the two TAT guide guys. There are advocates for both.
Sam seems to have a slightly better route but requires a couple of connectors to go coast to coast. Kevin starts on the east coast at the edge of the Atlantic and ends at the edge of the Pacific. I have read some blogs where riders combine the two hopping back and forth. I am a bit OCD so I had to go with the true ocean to ocean route.
Because we will be following a route does not mean we can not leave it for whatever reason. If the worlds biggest ball of string is conveniently nearby then by golly we will pay homage to the Griswolds! (not really but you get the point)
We plan for the least amount of support. Maybe someone wants follow along in a chase vehicle, who knows.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Look into wearing layers and using heated vest and gloves that runs off the 12v supply from the
bike.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#34]
The debate for me is I have two suits. One is full Gortex and is an armored shell. It’s wearable on the road to just about 80 degrees then you suffer. Working off road is going to get you warmer faster.

My other option is mesh Kevlar that I wore through Mexico and Central America. It kicks ass for breathability obviously but the waterproofing goes under and it doesn’t do anything for blocking wind with just the jacket and pants itself. But is is also super comfortable.

Both can be made to work and both are going to have some negatives. The full Gortex is amazing for everything but heat. The mesh is amazing, dries fast, but the layering kind of sucks for cold and or wet.

First world problems.

To South America and I am just going to suffer and sweat my balls off at first.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#35]
So a few questions…

What route are you thinking, official TAT or KevinGPS? I realize you are going to the East Coast first which I agree is the right way to do it.

Is June the 6th the day you are stepping off from the coast? Any wiggle room to make sure the passes are open?

What would you say your riding style is? Mine is slow to medium pace but long days.

Are you thinking primarily camping or only when we have to? …which may be a lot.

Are you planning on swapping tires before the Rockies?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So a few questions…

Excellent questions all.

What route are you thinking, official TAT or KevinGPS? I realize you are going to the East Coast first which I agree is the right way to do it.

Definitely starting with Kevin's. Once we get where they overlap or come close then shifting routes could happen. The goal is to cross the country on as much dirt as possible. Routes make it easier but are not necessary.

Is June the 6th the day you are stepping off from the coast? Any wiggle room to make sure the passes are open?

Lot's of wiggle room, always a lot of wiggle room. Weather, riders, whatever can call for a sidetrack. Hopefully we will have local contacts in the area of the passes to let us know how it is going. We can slow down or divert if needed or if all is well keep riding through.

What would you say your riding style is? Mine is slow to medium pace but long days.

Pretty much the same for me. I am no motocross racer and I do enjoy seeing things along the way.

Are you thinking primarily camping or only when we have to? …which may be a lot.

I would prefer cheap/moderate hotels/cabins/accommodations but will be ready to camp when needed.

Are you planning on swapping tires before the Rockies?

Yes. I will have several parcels set up here at home. A quick call and my GF will simply take it the the post office and send it general delivery where ever I tell her it needs to be. I have a feeling once the word gets out there will be other locations that will accept delivery for us. Cold weather gear will be sent out and returned back home this way too.
View Quote

I am retired now. I spent most my life chasing a clock always trying to beat deadlines. I want to get that out of my life. It is difficult but I am making progress. I also realize there is such thing as taking too long to do something. Striking a happy balance, well, that is my goal.
In my life I have passed up many interesting things because I was in a hurry. Now is my time to see them. There may never be another chance to do so.
My planning for this is based off my prior experience of long hikes. You can plan all you want but it never goes that way. "No plan survives contact with the enemy trail.". A loose outline to follow with extra time for what ever reason has worked well for me in the past. If we finish early that just gives more time at the end to get back home or do the tourist thing.
It may sound if I just want to lolligag the whole way but that is not it. I want to ride but I want to look around and see the world around me at the same time. I vacationed in Colorado last year for a few weeks and there are a million places I want to go but I will keep them to a minimum on this ride. I am looking forward to crossing the continental divide and if possible ride the CDT for bit (If legal).
As for sidetrips/deviations I am far more interested in things like Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Abilene, KS. than the Denver nightlife or Los Vegas (Yeak, I know, Vegas is really off track but you get the point) Of course if folk want to have a look I am fine with that. Riders are free to come and go as they like. Just set up future rendevous times/locations.

Anyway, feel free to ask any more question you want and suggestions are absolutely welcome too.
I hope all this made sense.

One thing I really hope for is someone who wants to blog this. I am not a good writer but will make sure it gets done. I really think the folk here at Arfcom would enjoy following the trip.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you have an aftermarket tank? You aren’t going to try with a stock DR tank are you?

What panniers are you using?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#38]
KLR, I will have plenty of fuel. Have not settled on saddle bags yet but I have a versapak saddlebag set that I think would do well. Also soft pack of some sort strapped to the rear rack. Which one depends on how much stuff I am carrying.
Most important bit of cargo? A shiny new credit card with a limit high enough to buy a new freakin' KTM if needed.
(yeah, don't really want to do that though)
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
KLR, I will have plenty of fuel. Have not settled on saddle bags yet but I have a versapak saddlebag set that I think would do well. Also soft pack of some sort strapped to the rear rack. Which one depends on how much stuff I am carrying.
Most important bit of cargo? A shiny new credit card with a limit high enough to buy a new freakin' KTM if needed.
(yeah, don't really want to do that though)
View Quote

Man I was thinking you had a DR as well.

I have had 3 KLRs. I definitely have a soft spot for them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought these tires on clearance the other year.

Now I know why

2012 Vstrom 650. Rode it on a 9000 mile trip from PA to CA and back last August.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought these tires on clearance the other year.
https://i.imgur.com/AuitdI0.jpg

Now I know why

2012 Vstrom 650. Rode it on a 9000 mile trip from PA to CA and back last August.

https://i.imgur.com/9YGl66r.jpg
View Quote

Are you thinking of going?

ETA: can we get a roll call on who is going or thinking of it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#42]
We get a list and I will add it to the first post.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I am a strong maybe.

I am to the point I am watching videos and perusing the final few upgrades to the bike. Considering soft luggage and what would be best between Tusk, Giant Loop, or ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Everyone is a maybe until the last bike is off.
Just my opinion but figure out how much room you need then go from there. It is very easy to pack too much junk. There is a lot of very good gear out there too. I would say most of it would work fine. Personally I wouldn't worry about having the best just have stuff that is good enough. Just like firearms. What is the best is always debatable but good enough still gets the job done.
Ya know, I have a KLR. I think I am obligated to use a milk crate or they will take my bike from me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Everyone is a maybe until the last bike is off.
Just my opinion but figure out how much room you need then go from there. It is very easy to pack too much junk. There is a lot of very good gear out there too. I would say most of it would work fine. Personally I wouldn't worry about having the best just have stuff that is good enough. Just like firearms. What is the best is always debatable but good enough still gets the job done.
Ya know, I have a KLR. I think I am obligated to use a milk crate or they will take my bike from me.
View Quote

I am not worried about what’s the latest and greatest per se’ just what works best to not distract me from the experience.

My KLR performed flawlessly through Central America and let me just soak it in without concern for my ride. My hard bags were the right choice there as well. But this is far too much off road to have hard bags in my opinion. My understanding is there is some more challenging sections out west and drops are far from rare.

But going as light as possible will be a must for me especially considering the need for camping gear and at least a little food and extra water.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#46]
When this thread started I had a KTM 790 Adventure R but recently sold it and bought a KLX300 Dual sport. I’m not sure if it will have enough range (even with an extra gallon Rotopax) to be able to do this.

What would you consider to be the minimum fuel range to make this doable?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When this thread started I had a KTM 790 Adventure R but recently sold it and bought a KLX300 Dual sport. I’m not sure if it will have enough range (even with an extra gallon Rotopax) to be able to do this.

What would you consider to be the minimum fuel range to make this doable?
View Quote

I have no experience on the TAT but have read trip reports and there can be some long stretches in remote areas.

I have always considered around 200 miles to be a nice range to have. Most of the time you will never need near that…until you take a wrong turn and accidentally ad 50 miles to a segment.

But perhaps someone who has ridden it can chime in.

ETA: but a quick search shows some good aftermarket tanks for the KLX.

ETA 2: GPS Kevin says you need a range of 161 miles which seems oddly specific.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#48]
That would be a lot of fun.  Sadly, I'm planning to do the BDR Wyoming when it's released this spring, and can't spend the whole summer away.  Who would shoot my guns?

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Copy pasta from the website

Structure of the trail information:  The original TAT is broken into 49 sections (from Cape Hatteras NC to Port Orford OR) At the end of each section is a gasoline station.  The 2014 New York Route added 11 new sections and the Los Angeles Route added 14 sections.  The sections vary in length from 66 miles to 161 miles.  You will need a gas range of 161 miles.  Several sections can be ridden in a day depending on your wishes.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#50]

That's no joke, got into the greasy silt/peanut butter after a monsoon in NM a few years ago on the GDR trail. 2 Vstroms and a GSA and it took us 4 hours to travel 8 miles, because it was so snotty/sticky we couldn't make it but a few feet at a time before washing out, or the buildup would render the front wheel locked under the fenders. After 6-8 drops, picking up a 600lb loaded bike will take everything out of you, then you can't ride for shit. Was hilarious, scary (we were running out of water and daylight), and frustrating. We eventually got through the road and onto the highway but god damn. Respect for the wet desert...it's a motherfucker sometimes.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top