Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you could pick one character to have written off the show (and it can NOT be Wokeahontas or Tate because that’s too easy) who would it be?

View Quote

If I had to pick one I'd say Travis (Taylor Sheridan).  I get that Jimmy is a screw up, but Travis verbally abusing him just got plain dumb quickly and wasted screen time.  His character is an arrogant asshole and they had already exceeded the quota for those for one series
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Exactly.  So why is she acting like the kid tried to murder her in her sleep?
View Quote

Because she is mentally unstable?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Taylor Sheridan can be a great writer when a project has his undivided attention.

S4 of Yellowstone is what you get when he's dividing himself across half a dozen different projects.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Taylor Sheridan can be a great writer when a project has his undivided attention.

S4 of Yellowstone is what you get when he's dividing himself across half a dozen different projects.
View Quote

Hit the nail on the head, his career has blown up big time in the last couple years.  Didn't know he bought the 6666 ranch in Texas. I'm sure he can afford it.

I grew up ranching like him.  The first thing I would do if I made it rich would be to buy a ranch.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think S4 is decent so far.  The new spinoff with woke Tim McGraw and his wife looks good.  

I can't, however, get into Mayor of Kingstown.  Sheridan stepped out of his niche and, frankly, it's pretty mediocre.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It will never happen, but I hope Lloyd snaps and beats the fuck out of Rip.

John: "Whatever he did, don't forget who he is to you. To both of us"

Rip: "What he is to us is the only reason he's still walking."
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She’s a fucking smoke show
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the actress that plays the governor is 52.

She’s a fucking smoke show

These hot women falling for a 65 year old rancher doesn't make much sense until you realize the person playing the 65 year old rancher is the leading actor and executive producer for the show.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hit the nail on the head, his career has blown up big time in the last couple years.  Didn't know he bought the 6666 ranch in Texas. I'm sure he can afford it.
View Quote
Doubt he owns 10% of it.  He's the face of the investor group that bought it, but it was over $300 million.  That's more Cameron or Spielberg money than Sheridan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Rent" it back to himself for filming, tourist tours if the show is a hit, branding rights for RAM trucks/clothes, tax write off, etc.
Think of how the stadium owners make a fortune while losing money on the official books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone want to buy the sixes?  I can't imagine there's any good way to recoup the cost of that place.

"Rent" it back to himself for filming, tourist tours if the show is a hit, branding rights for RAM trucks/clothes, tax write off, etc.
Think of how the stadium owners make a fortune while losing money on the official books.

Good points.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

These hot woman falling for a 65 year old rancher doesn't make much sense until you realize the person playing the 65 year old rancher is the leading actor and executive producer for the show.
View Quote
That's like Jerry Seinfeld having a new model girlfriend each week on Seinfeld.
Believable in real life, but not for his character on the show.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Half of this season has been a commercial for one thing or another.
View Quote

I have gone to recording it so to fast forward thru the commercials. The show is two thirds commercials.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doubt he owns 10% of it.  He's the face of the investor group that bought it, but it was over $300 million.  That's more Cameron or Spielberg money than Sheridan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably but he’s bringing many millions of dollars in value from marketing via his shows.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have gone to recording it so to fast forward thru the commercials. The show is two thirds commercials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half of this season has been a commercial for one thing or another.

The best indicator for how good a show is would be judging how often you fast forward or are tempted to fast forward a scene.

In S1 it was pretty much 0% for me.

For this most recent episode it was over half of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know why some people hate on Jamie's baby mama.

She was such a great girlfriend (especially for a guy like Jamie) I was convinced she was a plant.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The only reason I watch yellowstone is to watch the Beth parts.  They could cut out all the rest of the cowboy shit and I would be entirely happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just found this thread. Good show. Beth's character is too overblown IMHO. Dibs on one of the lever action rifles after the show is done. My Grandfather had full time live in staff on his farm. Very interesting people.

The only reason I watch yellowstone is to watch the Beth parts.  They could cut out all the rest of the cowboy shit and I would be entirely happy.

Agreed. Too much time spent showing horses skid to a stop.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because we shouldn't highlight people in a sport relevant to the show we're making...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

These hot women falling for a 65 year old rancher doesn't make much sense until you realize the person playing the 65 year old rancher is the leading actor and executive producer for the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a fucking smoke show

Lol. Hot women are drawn to powerful men, and his character is portrayed as one of the most powerful men in the West. You think Trump would be bedding a supermodel if he was a 75 year old used car salesman?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because we shouldn't highlight people in a sport relevant to the show we're making...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's highlighting, then there's too much. Showing how studly the cowboys are while skidding their horses to a stop over and over is too much and seems to be nothing but filler.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lol. Hot women are drawn to powerful men, and his character is portrayed as one of the most powerful men in the West. You think Trump would be bedding a supermodel if he was a 75 year old used car salesman?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a fucking smoke show

Dutton is a big fish in a little pond.  He is most certainly not “one of the most powerful men in the West.”

Also in terms of power, wealth, and fame Dutton is about as much like Trump as the starting QB of a big name Texas high school is like Tom Brady.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
If he owns 750K acres in the West, I'd suggest he is a big fish in most any pond.  

Big as "Rhode Island" was the original reference to the King Ranch.   But, they copied it for this show.  RI is roughly 775K acres.  

At 2k an acre, thats 1.5 billion.  At 5k an acre, thats 3.75 billion.  Plus improvements.   20K cattle at a $1,000 a head would be a quick 20 million, and they would have another 500 horses or so.  Real quick, you are talking some sizable wealth.  

About $5.5 billion puts you into the top 200 in this nation.   Give or take.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If he owns 750K acres in the West, I'd suggest he is a big fish in most any pond.  

Big as "Rhode Island" was the original reference to the King Ranch.   But, they copied it for this show.  RI is roughly 775K acres.  

At 2k an acre, thats 1.5 billion.  At 5k an acre, thats 3.75 billion.  Plus improvements.   20K cattle at a $1,000 a head would be a quick 20 million, and they would have another 500 horses or so.  Real quick, you are talking some sizable wealth.  

View Quote

That doesn't take into account his political influence with the Governor, AG, and Livestock Commission.  Plus he seems to put the Sherriff in his place on occasion.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

IF he did, sure.

But he doesn’t.  The offer last season had it at 10k acres.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That doesn't take into account his political influence with the Governor, AG, and Livestock Commission.  Plus he seems to put the Sherriff in his place on occasion.
View Quote

Which is nice, but all that state political influence is still limited to the “pond.”
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn, I seem to recall there is a name for that in TV/movie writing because it's so common and for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now. Maybe someone else does. It may be more comedic related though. I'll end up digging until I can find it when I get home otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just found this thread. Good show. Beth's character is too overblown IMHO. Dibs on one of the lever action rifles after the show is done. My Grandfather had full time live in staff on his farm. Very interesting people.

Beth has turned into a caricature of what Beth was earlier in the series.

Come to think of it, many of the characters have done the same.

Damn, I seem to recall there is a name for that in TV/movie writing because it's so common and for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now. Maybe someone else does. It may be more comedic related though. I'll end up digging until I can find it when I get home otherwise.

The term we were looking for is Flanderization.

The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic. Sitcoms and sitcom characters are particularly susceptible to this, as are peripheral characters in shows with long runs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the show about a huge ranch or is it about rodeoing?  Because if I only watched this season, I'd think it was about rodeo stuff.  They have resorted to using that stuff to help fill an hour time slot when they don't have enough script written.   They hit their peak and are either struggling or are too distracted with all the spin offs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Walker is going to the Four Sixes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a feeling Lloyd is going to end up at the Four Sixes.
Walker is going to the Four Sixes.

You are on to something. Forrie Smith is in Celina TX getting some cutting horse training
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Fucking LOVE this show, can't wait.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you could pick one character to have written off the show (and it can NOT be Wokeahontas or Tate because that’s too easy) who would it be?

View Quote

One of the two barrel racer girls. I’d say the brunette
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

View Quote

No.  Jaime claimed to have added 200K acres during his "running" of the ranch.  Claimed he added that to their prior holdings.   And, they also have a land trust - majority ownership, minority interest held by Beth's old/now new employer - to even more land that Beth set up.

The 10K acre deal (I thought it was more) was for the sale of part of the ranch for development.  Not the whole ranch.  And, that offer was for $500 million, as I recall, for just that piece.   If it was $500 million for only 10k acres, thats $50K an acre.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

The offer last season was $500 million for 50,000 acres, and it was only a fraction of the land.

Attachment Attached File

They have a personal helicopter and a private chef.  He's a multibillionaire, but not very liquid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I binged all the way up to season 4. Now i have to wait for the new episodes to come out and it's pissin me off!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No.  Jaime claimed to have added 200K acres during his "running" of the ranch.  Claimed he added that to their prior holdings.   And, they also have a land trust - majority ownership, minority interest held by Beth's old/now new employer - to even more land that Beth set up.

The 10K acre deal (I thought it was more) was for the sale of part of the ranch for development.  Not the whole ranch.  And, that offer was for $500 million, as I recall, for just that piece.   If it was $500 million for only 10k acres, thats $50K an acre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

It was either $10k for an acre for 50k acres or $50k an acre for 10k acres (probably the former).  Either way, it wasn't even in the ballpark of 750k acres.

I watched S3 last week and I'm pretty sure the deal was for the whole ranch.  That's the way everyone presented it as including the way Beth presented the deal to John.  If it was only for part of the ranch I'm sure she would have mentioned that to John instead of "selling THE ranch."
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The offer last season was $500 million for 50,000 acres, and it was only a fraction of the land.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346734/faa_JPG-2187271.JPG

They have a personal helicopter and a private chef.  He's a multibillionaire, but not very liquid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

That's the area that the FAA approved for the airport itself.  It wasn't the only land in the offer.

But do they?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic. Sitcoms and sitcom characters are particularly susceptible to this, as are peripheral characters in shows with long runs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beth has turned into a caricature of what Beth was earlier in the series.

Come to think of it, many of the characters have done the same.

Yup, that's definitely Beth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, Rip is being a dick. But Lloyd better bring more than hands.

Rip in the show is 225#, 6'1" vs. scrawny, arthritic old-timer.

Hell - Jamie's victory was permitted by Rip.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I watched S3 last week and I'm pretty sure the deal was for the whole ranch.  That's the way everyone presented it as including the way Beth presented the deal to John.  If it was only for part of the ranch I'm sure she would have mentioned that to John instead of "selling THE ranch."
View Quote

Beth told John that they'd take that part of the ranch with eminent domain (and Jamie couldn't protect them), then with property values going up in the coming years he'd have to sell off more of the ranch in smaller parcels until all he had left was the lodge. The original deal was just for the airport area, as shown in the pic a couple replies up.

That's why John is getting into the horses, because he needs a new income stream.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never rode a horse, never wanted to ride a horse, but do enjoy the machinations of beths mind.  Less horses, more beth.   Preferably, nekkid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#38]
For those that actually like working horse scenes, The Man From Snowy River is excellent.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, probably has some investors.  

https://www.hpj.com/livestock/yellowstone-creator-purchases-6666-ranch/article_4e4f7b08-d076-11eb-ab3a-a744d884de1d.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I forget when it happened, but Daddy wanted Jamie to be the boss guy. Boss guy on the ranch must be the badass....if there's any fighting, its with him.

Rip accepted that, and they had their scuffle. Jamie won! Yay.

The earlier encounter went less well for Jamie.

'Rip vs. Kayce' Behind the Story | Yellowstone | Paramount Network

I can't find the vid of the 2nd encounter.

Eta: Aww Fuck...guess who's terrible with names.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most Ranchers are land rich, money poor.  The one thing that has helped change that is oil and other energy leases on land with mineral rights.  Water rights are becoming very valuable also.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Season 4 is ruining the show. Nothing of consequence has happened in the past 3 episodes.

Instead of fighting enemies and developers they decide to invest millions in horse spinning?

6 different plot lines that rotate every 3 minutes.

No more boobs? I want a refund.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IF he did, sure.

View Quote

That was one pasture for the airport.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's highlighting, then there's too much. Showing how studly the cowboys are while skidding their horses to a stop over and over is too much and seems to be nothing but filler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reiners are not seen as “studly” in the cowboy world. It appeals to the horse chick demo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Beth told John that they'd take that part of the ranch with eminent domain (and Jamie couldn't protect them), then with property values going up in the coming years he'd have to sell off more of the ranch in smaller parcels until all he had left was the lodge. The original deal was just for the airport area, as shown in the pic a couple replies up.

That's why John is getting into the horses, because he needs a new income stream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not judging the show, but that’s not how ag zoning works. I own commercial property and ag property. Ag always gets an exemption.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Season 4 is ruining the show. Nothing of consequence has happened in the past 3 episodes.

Instead of fighting enemies and developers they decide to invest millions in horse spinning?

View Quote

Nailed it. And I promise, there isn't one locally grown rancher in the West that is going to bail a lefty out to compromise with her or bang her.
Dumb.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yellowstone use to be a very good drama.

Now it’s pretty much a “turn off the your brain and binge watch it so you don’t have time to think about how little sense it makes” type of show.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nailed it. And I promise, there isn't one locally grown rancher in the West that is going to bail a lefty out to compromise with her or bang her.
Dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb.

I dunno.  I’m sure there’s at least one or two that have a “hate fuck a hot libtard” fantasy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yellowstone use to be a very good drama.

Now it’s pretty much a “turn off the your brain and binge watch it so you don’t have time to think about how little sense it makes” type of show.
View Quote

Go ahead and turn it off.

There are too many more plots and storylines to come for the show to last at least 10 years or more.

S4 E5 was a sleeper, yawn.

I expect more action soon, which is what I like about this show.

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top