Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2001 6:16:24 AM EDT
If you haven't seen it yet, tune into CNN.  It's the most shocking thing I've seen all year.  The cameraman was a real pro, didn't flinch or anything.  I hope he got some good $ for that film because it's worth big bucks, human tragedy on a grand scale.  Just plain sad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly happened?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.cnn.com/video/world/2001/05/25/vo.mideast.people.reut.med.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Dance floor collapsed at a wedding.  As in the FLOOR fell out below them.  So that's a good 1 story drop.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothin' like some good ol middle-eastern construction, eh?  Top notch.  hehe
[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW!

That would suck!

I wonder what the schmuck was saying when he put his hand over the camera?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
That video was wild!  So many people, and you can see them falling and the confused look on their faces.  Then there is a huge hole in the floor.  If the guy holding the camera was standing 2ft closer, he would have been gone too.

They show some of the injured people afterwards, and they are jacked up.  There is a guy with a bandage on his face, and a huge lump on his head.  Another woman had a swollen face, saying that she had to step on bodies to get out.  The builders are gonna be in for a rough go for the poor construction.  Do they still stone people to death over there?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
"The cameraman was a real pro, didn't flinch or anything."

Indeed.

Remarkable how the floor just dropped away.  Time To Die... [:O]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
5I-Iole, or whatever your name is, if you really think that's funny, you should be bitch slapped into the next time zone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothin' like some good ol middle-eastern construction, eh? Top notch. hehe
View Quote

Actually, its probably not the construction so much as the effect of hundreds of people dancing and bouncing in unison on a structure not designed to take such stresses.  The structure can withstand the weight of the people, but not the weight of the people stressing it like that repeatedly in unison.  If you remember, a similar incident happened here in the US about 10-15 years ago - I think it was a Hilton or Radisson out west...maybe Kansas or OK.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
It appears that this was construction as I"ve read that the building owner was having construction done on lower floors that removed several support columns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, I saw it finally!

It looked like a Lance Burton magic trick.....now everyone is dancing and having fun......POOF......(lots of dust).....where did everyone go???

Holy crap, can you imagine the stigma the married couple will carry as a result of such a disaster at their wedding? All those dead friends and family members? What a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#12]
It appears that this was construction as I"ve read that the building owner was having construction done on lower floors that removed several support columns.
View Quote

Wow.  I hadn't heard this.  If true, I hope they nail his nuts to a wall; talk about negligence!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  The guy with the video camera is super lucky.  2 steps closer and he'd be a gonner.

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
5I-Iole, or whatever your name is, if you really think that's funny, you should be bitch slapped into the next time zone.
View Quote

tool - (how appropriate) Being that your opinion of what I should or should not find to be humorous is so highly regarded and well-qualified... I was wondering if you might be so kind as to bestow upon us, but a small bit of your infinite wisdom, and tell us all what is acceptable to be found humorous and what is not, so I might stand a better chance of arriving on the "correct" opinion in the future.  Any greatness you might kindly exude, for the sake of straightening the paths of those who's opinions are less than acceptable, would be deeply appreciated and humbly accepted.[rolleyes]  Many thanks.  

[-!-!-]

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
shaggy that was the
hilton in KC.It was a walkway hung from rods that broke.Ended up the rods were the wrong size and or flawed.Not on purpose just bad enginering.I went to a wedding there not long after it was fixed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dance floor collapsed at a wedding.  As in the FLOOR fell out below them.  So that's a good 1 story drop.....
View Quote

guess again, try a 4 story drop.

[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1350000/images/_1350742_gapingafp150.jpg[/img]

I'm sure it was shoddy construction or poor maintenance/improvements.  

[img]http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/meast/05/25/wedding.hall.02/story.wreckage.ap.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
shaggy that was the
hilton in KC.It was a walkway hung from rods that broke.Ended up the rods were the wrong size and or flawed.Not on purpose just bad enginering.I went to a wedding there not long after it was fixed.
View Quote

I hate to correct both of you, but it was the Hyatt-Regency in K.C. that had the walkway collapse about 20 years ago.  The walkway is on the mezzinine level in the main lobby.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#18]
For those of you that haven't seen it yet, the video shows a dance floor full of people and then you see the floor give and everyone fall into this hole:

[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1350000/images/_1351962_ap300video.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.cnn.com/images/0105/top.jerus.video.3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#19]
i watched it on cnn a lttle while ago.all i can say is [b]HOLY SHIT BATMAN! [/B]man that had to hurt.mmk
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Notice all the scared shitless people who just run around and don't know what to do?  Some just walk right up to the hole and try to look down.  Not so smart--the rest of the floor could have collapsed as well.  A couple guys keep their heads and try to keep others back, some flee the scene with their children.  Tragic.  I hope if I'm ever in such a situation, I will keep my wits about me and not freeze up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Outlaw Jewish weddings above ground level.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Very GRAPHIC Video.....

From what I know of construction technology, IT HAS to move and give, so it doesnt break. Hench the vibration on bridges AND the reason armies do NOT march across bridges (route step)...

Dancing would be VERY contradictory to the 'route step' theory, a rhythmic dance, and push ANY structure to its limits, or so I would guess....
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Moral of the story: there's only one Jewish carpenter you can trust.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw it and also was left with the impression as if some mystical force was playing a joke on those poor people, one moment everybody is fine and then the table cloth that was the floor was jerked right out from under them.

I saw the video footage a couple times from the camera man's view point and due to the lighting it's hard to tell how far they fell, I figured it was just a one story drop.

Now I see the pictures from OUTSIDE and all I can think is "MY GOD! PEOPLE SURVIVED THAT?"

The video footage from within the reception area does not quite express the severity of the accident, the pictures from outside the building make my skin crawl.

This would be a really good social project for school or something, show the video footage from inside the reception hall to a class of college freshmen and see how many of them laugh and how many of them are shocked, talk about it a bit and see what the typical reactions are.   Then show them the pictures from outside the building where you can see that people fell a damned long way to the ground, see what their reactions are like after that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Very sad situation, if it resulted from someone's negligence, that someone should be hanged.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Geez, that's terrible!! I saw the video and thought they fell a floor, but the outside really make s your skin crawl!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, the outside shot adds an extra dimension to the horror, doesn't it?  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 5|-|oLe:
tool - (how appropriate) Being that your opinion of what I should or should not find to be humorous is so highly regarded and well-qualified... I was wondering if you might be so kind as to bestow upon us, but a small bit of your infinite wisdom, and tell us all what is acceptable to be found humorous and what is not, so I might stand a better chance of arriving on the "correct" opinion in the future.
View Quote

Not mine to butt into, but your comment about the mid-east construction, if it was in a way saying that their building construction is inferior to ours, then hell yeah we are Americans and we can do anything faster better stronger than any furreners can, but it sounds like he took it and me too to be finding enjoyment in others death and suffering. And thats screwed up buddy.

Listen to all the screams again and if you can find humor in that even if you have some weird reason to be some hard core anti-semite you're still screwed up, especially if you're old enough to own an AR. Isreal may be our ally yes, and that may explain why not everyone is cracking jokes like you, as if it were in the PROC. But even if it were chi-coms it'd shock and disturb me seeing a video like that just as bad, they were regualar civilians. Even chi-com civilians aren't our enemy and have a hate for commies magnitudes higher than the sum of all of the dwindling number of commie-haters here.

And as for being told what you can and can't think or say, you can do it just don't expect not to be singled out for some things, as someone else put it: I'd defend to the death your right to be a sick M.F. who enjoys videos of people getting killed, as long as you'd defend to the death my right to call you a sick M.F.

This is getting whiny and new-style-touchy-feely-ar15.com so I'll stop now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at that one photo, it looks like that big patch of floor is still hanging up there. Looks like concrete with re-bar holding it, but the other sides of the patch all tore completely loose. Especially the bottom end of it; it's cut off so clean looking. I don't know squat about civil engineering or whatever, but maybe they didn't lay that re-bar in there right. Joints need to be staggered?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#30]
ditto to what erickm said about you, 5 hole or whatever your name is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
erickm - To clarify, I do not find tragedy to be humorous.  When I first read the post, I was simply reacting to the visual of people having the floor disappear from underneath them.  I lived in Egypt for a while, and during my time there, I was fortunate enough to witness, first-hand, theyre knack for shotty construction.  My reaction was based on a sort of "yep...thought so..." type of attitude, and while I recognise the tragedy of this incident, I am not laughing about the death of people, but rather the proof that they should reconsider their structural engineering principals.  I must admit that when I saw the pics of the outside, I found myself saying "holy shit", rather than laughing.  My point remains though, that the incident was not funny, just the thought that people caused a shitty floor to colapse underneath their feet.  I do not want to give the impression that I am cruel or whatever else, but the reality of this situation is that I dont know any of the involved people, and therefore do not have an emotional tie to the situation.  That fact leaves me free to look at this from a lighter perspective.  In conclusion, I dont find any tragedy to be humorous, but recognise that even in tragic situations, there are sometimes funny circumstances (i.e. the Darwin Awards!!).  [grenade]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#33]
5 hole, that wasn't cool.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 5|-|oLe:
erickm - To clarify, I do not find tragedy to be humorous.  When I first read the post, I was simply reacting to the visual of people having the floor disappear from underneath them.  I lived in Egypt for a while, and during my time there, I was fortunate enough to witness, first-hand, theyre knack for shotty construction.  My reaction was based on a sort of "yep...thought so..." type of attitude, and while I recognise the tragedy of this incident, I am not laughing about the death of people, but rather the proof that they should reconsider their structural engineering principals.  I must admit that when I saw the pics of the outside, I found myself saying "holy shit", rather than laughing.  My point remains though, that the incident was not funny, just the thought that people caused a shitty floor to colapse underneath their feet.  I do not want to give the impression that I am cruel or whatever else, but the reality of this situation is that I dont know any of the involved people, and therefore do not have an emotional tie to the situation.  That fact leaves me free to look at this from a lighter perspective.  In conclusion, I dont find any tragedy to be humorous, but recognise that even in tragic situations, there are sometimes funny circumstances (i.e. the Darwin Awards!!).  [grenade]
View Quote

You're [i]still[/i] an asshole!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're [i]still[/i] an asshole!
View Quote

You, on the other hand, are a beautiful person, who's presence would surely grace anyone fortunate enough to first-handedly witness your majesty.  [:D]

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
WOAH, CHECK THIS OUT.  Go back and watch the video again.  Straight ahead of the camera about 15-20' away you can see another video camera filming with a light on in the direction of the video that has been shown.  You can clearly see this other video camera and it's light fall down into the hole.  When that film is recovered it will give a bird's eye view of what the victims experienced.

My understanding is that most on the dance floor -including the newlyweds- survived, that most of the fatalities were those UNDERNEATH the dance floor or the floor below that that were crushed to death.

If they all fell 10' and had a broken leg or two, it would ALMOST be comical.  But to see the anguish on the faces, the people holding their faces, hugging each other in terror, and the blood curdling screams.  I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard a brief news clip that the authorities went straight to the builders' homes, yanked them out, and are beginning an investigation.

You know, if something like this accident happened here, there would be a sluggish, lackful investigation, and the individuals who are ultimately responsible would be shielded by their corporation.  At the most, things would be settled via private litigation a'la Firestone.

I guess there is a different sense of justice there.  When you live in a climate of a constant critical nature, you don't f*ck around.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Damn. Only one word I can think of to describe it... surreal. It was one of the most bizarre/tragic scenes I have ever watched.

I wonder if the workers had union cards...
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#39]
A friend of mine called me last night; as he hadn't heard of it yet, I told him to "turn on CNN right now, as they'll probably show it again".  When everyone dropped, he yelled "OH SHIT!!" in the phone, and just kept saying, "Oh, damn, oh, man, no way...no WAY!".

Kind of "Pompei-esque" when they found some of them: one couple who's been sitting at a table together were found embracing each other in their death.

One thing's for sure...that couple is going to be haunted for the rest of their married life (well, life PERIOD) by this...
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Very Tragic.  The video reminds me of something from a Damien Omen movie. Too surealistic. Surely the work of Satan sending some kind of a message, don't you think?

M4-AK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top