Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2644 of 5582)
Page / 5582
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Is this the new Downfall parody lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Not sure if this has been posted.... the russian TV news guy, ol putins friend got called up for the draft and is having a shit fit, even kicks off the other guy on the show cause he called him a pussy and coward, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
Is this the new Downfall parody lol

That is awesome.  Some real gems throughout, but the ending was hilarious:

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  And I just realized that I started catching up from 7 AM, not 7 PM
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#2]
Fingers Point At Russia In Baltic Undersea Pipeline Attack

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/fingers-point-at-russia-in-baltic-undersea-pipeline-attack

Rumors and speculation continue to swirl around a series of blasts that significantly damaged two major underwater pipelines in the Baltic Sea designed to carry natural gas from Russia to Europe yesterday. The European Union has now joined a growing chorus of government officials, as well as experts and observers, saying the explosions were all but certainly the result of some kind of deliberate attack. A British media report today indicated that officials in that country are increasingly convinced that the Russian government is responsible, possibly using uncrewed underwater vehicles to plant explosives.
View Quote
At the time of writing, no EU member appears to have officially alleged that any specific actors may have been responsible for these apparent attacks, though officials in a number of countries within the bloc have made statements similar to Borrell's. The U.S. government has also shied away from attributing responsibility so far, though it has come to similar conclusions. Pentagon Press Secretary Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said today that the U.S. military is sharing pertinent information with its allies about the "apparent acts of sabotage."
View Quote
There are entirely unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, which Russian state and non-state actors are amplifying, circulating already that the U.S. government, or other actors working in cooperation with it, were responsible. Spreading misinformation and disinformation, or enabling their spread, are common Russian government tactics to deflect attention from its own malign activities.
View Quote
  ^-- Which we're seeing play out here in GD
A remark from President Joe Biden in February before Russia's all-out invasion of Ukraine that the Kremlin's increasingly hostile actions toward its neighbor could lead to there "be no longer a Nord Stream 2," has also resurfaced. There is no indication whatsoever that this was anything but a comment on the potential diplomatic pressure the U.S. government would exert on German authorities to at least freeze that specific pipeline project, something that very publicly happened.

All this being said, there are indications that Western intelligence agencies are increasingly of the view that the Russian government, or actors acting on its behalf, was responsible for the pipeline leaks. The Times newspaper in the United Kingdom, citing an unnamed U.K. "defense source," reported today that a "likely scenario" for the attacks involved Russian uncrewed underwater vehicles, deployed from a mothership vessel of some kind on the surface, possibly something as innocuous as a fishing boat. Those undersea drones would then have laid explosive devices along the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Ok Poland, it’s time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]

I remember you mentioning that last night and so we come full circle.
View Quote
I think so
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CS223:
He's like the Russian version of Jim Cantore
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The M1 Abrams is by default the only modern Western tank that exists in the sort of numbers necessary to be able to equip Ukraine with any meaningful numbers. There aren't enough Challenger 2's. There aren't enough of the LeClerc. And there aren't enough Leopard 2 either. Germany has only a small fraction of them left in their own service and the others were sold here and there. Those who have them aren't going to give them up. And the number of Soviet tanks remaining in Europe are extremely few. Most have already been or are in the process of being sent to Ukraine. When that supply dries up, that is it.

The Abrams may be too heavy, too maintenance intensive and too much of a gas guzzler to be an ideal solution for Ukraine. But for the next few years, it is largely going to be the only show in town. Eventually, I think the K2NO Black Panther variant Norway is considering would be an ideal solution for Ukraine. But that is going to be a number of years down the road at best. The same applies for other possible Western solutions. Eventually more Leopard 2 might become available once Germany/France's new tank goes into production and Poland (and possibly Norway) start buying the K2.

Also, for whatever it is worth, it seems Ukraine is actually doing some of its best work with more lightly equipped forces anyway, at least in the more forested eastern portion of the country where better concealment exists. Motivated men mounted in lighter wheeled vehicles have used their speed to go around and get behind defenders. These big breakthroughs and pushes we have witnessed in the last month probably relied more heavily on this speed and agility than they did massive formations of tanks attacking directly into the teeth of well fortified positions. Once they get behind the forward lines, they have free reign against Russia's support troops and equipment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

It was NAFO
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The M-1 is heavy and maintenance intensive but could be done. The Leo 2 is not appreciably lighter. Poland is getting an Abrams maintenance facility because they are getting Abrams.
View Quote

I thought it was Leo 1 Germany was going to send but didn't.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]

I don't think you need to even consult Sun-Tzu to figure this out:

When you are dependent upon your impoverished client-state for basic field munitions, you should be re-thinking things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I assume that due to the strategic value and vulnerability of the pipeline, the area was being monitored to some degree. Maybe patrol boats, maybe aircraft, maybe just satellite.

If it was anyone other that a tier 1 State actor (with midget subs etc) there will be some trace like satellite footage of a ship loitering or passing too close.

Is there commercial traffic in the area to mask activity?
How is the weather there? Rough seas are not easy for small boats. How far away from possible land launch points is that pipe?
How hard is it to find the cable? Are there lots of markers "Dont drag anchor-underwater gas-pipeline"? Or is the pipe hard to find? At 300' down you dont want to be doing a lot of swimming around looking for it.
100Kg of explosives sounds like over kill. If that report is even accurate. You can punch a T72 with 1lb in a shaped charge so why 100Kg for a 1.5" pipe? Probably a good reason but what is it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The original ship sinking Limpet mines of WW2 were invented by a guy who made vacation trailers, constructed out of metal bowls filled with explosive and some magnets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpet_mine#Development

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Clarke_with_limpet_mine_in_swimming_position.jpg/1024px-Clarke_with_limpet_mine_in_swimming_position.jpg

So I think A,B,C could be pretty easily accomplished.

A) Ukraine is chock full of unguarded explosives, and is pretty wide open for resoursefull foreigners to enter. At the ghettoist level, enough HE could be scrapped out of 155mm shells and land mines.

B) The devices don't have to be very sophisticated. A big waterproof tube, filled with HE, connected to a waterproof timing initiator. An empty scuba tank full of cast melted TNT, for example.

C) Using 3 simple digital timers / iphones / anything, set to go off in 48hrs, and then all activated at the same time, would accomplish the simultaneous detonation. 3 devices activated at the same instant at the dock, then divided up into 3 boats, then sailed to 3 locations. Divers take different levels of time to rig up the units, but they all go off in 48hrs.

The Difficult part - D - is getting away with it. But there are any number of former SF on the private market / retired available who may relish a high risk Pirate operation to fuck Russia, and who would have the level of tradecraft to get away with it.

I assume that due to the strategic value and vulnerability of the pipeline, the area was being monitored to some degree. Maybe patrol boats, maybe aircraft, maybe just satellite.

If it was anyone other that a tier 1 State actor (with midget subs etc) there will be some trace like satellite footage of a ship loitering or passing too close.

Is there commercial traffic in the area to mask activity?
How is the weather there? Rough seas are not easy for small boats. How far away from possible land launch points is that pipe?
How hard is it to find the cable? Are there lots of markers "Dont drag anchor-underwater gas-pipeline"? Or is the pipe hard to find? At 300' down you dont want to be doing a lot of swimming around looking for it.
100Kg of explosives sounds like over kill. If that report is even accurate. You can punch a T72 with 1lb in a shaped charge so why 100Kg for a 1.5" pipe? Probably a good reason but what is it?

Id be surprised if the pipeline specifically was being monitored at all.

-Its a NATO area 360 degrees, the only enemy to to surveil is Russia
-Its a Russian pipeline, they're the last people who would (at least if sane) attack their own pipeline, as they can simply turn off the gas at any time without needing to destroy it (as they were doing at the time of the blast)
--> Up until yesterday the pipeline had no plausible enemies to surveil against

100kg also seems like a shit ton of HE to me, but would be consistent with a plausible deniability 'DIY Saboteur Divers' situation.

Whether this was a tier 1 state actor or some bored SF freelance guys or Greta herself, everyone benefits from making it seem as low tech as possible to make it harder to trace.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
So those rumblings about UA staging forces around kupyansk for an offense into northeast Ukraine.

Do they go on the 29th, 30th, or after Putin announces full annexation?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Some excerpts.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Tucker Carlson pretty much telegraphed that last night in his Russian talking points.
View Quote
Seriously, Fuck Tucker. I used to watch his show all the time but I haven't watched him in a year at least.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Wasn't this war about the NATO threat to Russia? If so, it would be odd for Russia to reduce it's forces facing NATO. It's almost as if they are admitting NATO wasn't a threat (of invasion).
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Ok Poland, it's time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]

-Its a Russian pipeline, they're the last people who would (at least if sane) attack their own pipeline, as they can simply turn off the gas at any time without needing to destroy it (as they were doing at the time of the blast)

100kg also seems like a shit ton of HE to me, but would be consistent with a plausible deniability 'DIY Saboteur Divers' situation.

Whether this was a tier 1 state actor or some bored SF freelance guys or Greta herself, everyone benefits from making it seem as low tech as possible to make it harder to trace.
View Quote

I'm down with blaming Greta.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#20]
Originally Posted By DonS:

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Ok Poland, it’s time.
View Quote

I wonder if we could convince poland to just start massing troops on the border like right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

What’s the track record of Russian equipment actually performing to published spec?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Yep, it is the mobile ground launchers that are the problem. Everything else can be hit within their reaction window.

Our interception capabilities are not up to that task yet, and Europe’s are almost nonexistent.

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.

Are the mobile ones true ICBMs with reach to the US, or are they range limited to be more of a European threat?

Yes, capable of both.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2PM_Topol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2PM2_Topol-M

What’s the track record of Russian equipment actually performing to published spec?

To be fair, Russian equipment does appear to work reasonably well when operated by Ukrainian troops
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
If anyone besides the Russians blew up those pipelines, I think that someone would be Poland. It would be the perfect opportunity for them to not only stick their thumb into Russia's eye but simultaneously make sure Germany remains cut-off from Russian gas for a longer period of time. Heck, keeping Germany independent of the Russian tit is probably a more important long term goal than harming Russia's oil and gas industry. Germany's total dependence on Russian gas has been NATO's biggest liability for years and one of the key contributors to this war starting. Demonstrating the ability to sever that pipeline and shut down the flow of gas, regardless of who did it, demonstrates clearly that it now cannot be relied upon by the folks at the end of the stream. If it happened once in that region, it can happen again. Whether this was an act of Russian stupidity or someone in the west being exceedingly brilliant, the end result is the same either way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool.

View Quote

Very cool indeed.

https://www.coffeeordie.com/snipex-alligator-ukraines-rifle

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.php?smallarms_id=1281

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Some excerpts.

View Quote

How many russian soldiers there?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#26]

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?
View All Quotes

I know (roughly - not a DoD insider) what we’ve done wrt interception.  It’s fantastic and it’s something we’ve done very, very right instead of being complacent since 1991.

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?  Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

This is a good conversation to have, not a frightening one.  Because it underscores our ability to prevent a Russian - or anyone’s - first-use.  With MAD not an operable part of force and strike calculations, Russia becomes relatively impotent. Reminding them of that is very likely what the State Dept. has been doing recently.  If we wanted to, we could prevent a Russian nuclear use by simply saying “we view putting Ukraine under our nuclear umbrella as a logical corollary to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.”  It is quite possibly what has already been done quietly.

Heck, we could make “The Budapest Corollary” a part of history more important than the Monroe Doctrine.

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?

Thats almost certainly why.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Also, for whatever it is worth, it seems Ukraine is actually doing some of its best work with more lightly equipped forces anyway, at least in the more forested eastern portion of the country where better concealment exists. Motivated men mounted in lighter wheeled vehicles have used their speed to go around and get behind defenders. These big breakthroughs and pushes we have witnessed in the last month probably relied more heavily on this speed and agility than they did massive formations of tanks attacking directly into the teeth of well fortified positions. Once they get behind the forward lines, they have free reign against Russia's support troops and equipment.
View Quote

They did that by using heavy forces to draw Russias heavy forces south and then paid the butchers bill to hold them there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Just for the cool factor they should develop teams of women to operate those things. If possible it should be only women generally dedicated to those monster rifles. It would be a serious point of pride to be one of the women on the teams. The best would compete for slots.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#29]

I thought it was Leo 1 Germany was going to send but didn't.
View Quote

There’s been talk of it but the most likely source of them is Canada anyway. They are of the same generation as T-62, but with lighter armor. I would not want to crew one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Seriously, Fuck Tucker. I used to watch his show all the time but I haven't watched him in a year at least.
View Quote
I'm in about the same boat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
nice
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#33]

lol  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Some excerpts.

In Belarus?  They did not say.

In Lyman? Reports seem to say a thousand or thousands.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By doc540:
German UN delegation mocking Trump's warning about their dependence on Russian energy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/trump_german_laugh1-2542432.jpg
View Quote

I can't believe someone hasn't tracked these people down, jammed a microphone in their face and asked them to comment on there Russian gas situation now. Bastards!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
The Russian Military Gets Destroyed - Trapped
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#38]
ISW assessment for September 28th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-28
View Quote

"Ukrainian forces likely continued to make significant gains around Lyman on September 28, advancing from the north along the Zelena Dolyna-Kolodiazi arc and from the southeast around Yampil. Geolocated combat footage corroborates claims made by Russian milbloggers that Ukrainians took control of Zelena Dolyna (15km north of Lyman) and pushed east to take control of Kolodiazi (11km northeast of Lyman). Several Russian sources indicated that Ukrainian troops pushed southeast of Kolodiazi and are fighting on the outskirts of Torske, just 12km northeast of Lyman. Russian milbloggers also claimed that Ukrainian troops accumulated near Yampil (13km southeast of Lyman) and broke through Russian defensive lines there to push towards Torske from the southwest. Russian sources additionally discussed Ukrainian gains northwest of Lyman and claimed that Ukrainian troops are attacking Shandryholove, about 10km northwest of Lyman. Geolocated footage shows that Ukrainian troops have liberated Novoselivka, just south of Shandryholove and 10km northwest of Lyman.[Several Russian milbloggers voiced escalated concern that Ukrainian forces are seeking to take control of the Svatove-Lyman road that is currently a critical ground line of communication (GLOC) for the Russian grouping in Lyman."

SO close

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Yep, it is the mobile ground launchers that are the problem. Everything else can be hit within their reaction window.

Our interception capabilities are not up to that task yet, and Europe’s are almost nonexistent.

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.

Are the mobile ones true ICBMs with reach to the US, or are they range limited to be more of a European threat?

Yes, capable of both.

That blows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Cool.

Very cool indeed.

https://www.coffeeordie.com/snipex-alligator-ukraines-rifle

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.php?smallarms_id=1281

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#43]

That blows.
View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

That blows.

Well, during Soviet times, yes, but keep reading those entries and keep track of how those numbers crumble up to the recent years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Elcope would get a kick out of that one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

He should get it on. Russia should draft him and sent him to the front lines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By Prime:

Still catching up…. But had to comment on what an accurate description of this man as a useful idiot.

He even is adopting a fake russian accent. And i bet he was even more head over heals for them when they gave him a little chest candy. Another reminder of the true value of all those soviets with practically a suit of armor of medals

Jackass
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/AC166510-D02C-4D2F-946A-352DB03427EE-2542562.png

He should get it on. Russia should draft him and sent him to the front lines.

Dude he’s already a highly decorated nazi fighter warrior gnome. Don’t you remember his dirt kicking and his shitty basement quarters getting shelled like immediately after he was warming his coffee, but comrade God told him to blow a russian saving his life by divine intervention. Dont mess with texas!

GD what a shitshow that guy is. Im really in awe this exists. He should be stuffed and put into a museum of brainwashing. Furthermore, he reminds me of our machinist with fetal alcohol syndrome that believes every conspiracy theory.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5582
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2644 of 5582)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top