Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2002 of 5572)
Page / 5572
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

I think it all depends on what Russia turns into after this war.
If it's the same old Russia, only foolish companies would risk it
again but, if the people of Russia somehow transform the country
into one that plays well with others, then Russia may be included
in modern civilization again.  It all depends.
View Quote

Such A Russian transformation would probably demand a reincarnation of Peter the Great.

Not very likely at the moment. Even if Putin slips and falls down several flights of stairs the current kleptocracy looks like it has a firm stranglehold on power.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Image of an Iridium sat phone with an “OSCE” bar code inside, allegedly found at Azovstal.

Russian Fakebook page
View Quote

What is the significance of this?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Image of an Iridium sat phone with an “OSCE” bar code inside, allegedly found at Azovstal.

Russian Fakebook page

My tablet did not like that link.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Russia trying to portray a global conspiracy against them, like claiming “Pentagon” helicopters were re-supplying the defenders.

OSCE is kind of a mini UN to resolve conflict. They were, for example observing the Minsk accords. Some of their people were captured and their equipment captured and shot up at the beginning of the war.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

That's the deal. The rest of the world has always wanted russians as fellow citizens of the world. If they want to isolate and keep to themselves, that's fine. If they want to do business with the rest of the world and benefit from those relationships, even better. The rest of the world would love to interact with russians and learn about their culture and help each other and stuff.
And over the past couple decades the world has largely treated russisa like they are neighbors.
But they have suddenly proven again they are a bunch of fucking criminals. Again.
People are pissed for falling for it, and pissed that russia broke into their neighbors house in the middle of the night, raped the children and murdered everybody and stole everything, WHILE russia was saying to our face it wasn't happening. Businesses are like "That's it. We're done here."
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Russian Fakebook page

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Obama bribed the previous UA administration (corrupt Russian puppets) in to destroying weapon stocks
View Quote

Ukraine can't fire at the russians if they don't have ammo. How bad is this situation?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:50:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#9]

View All Quotes

Russian Fakebook page

OSCE is all over the former Warsaw Pact. Are they sure that shit wasn't just sitting in a drawer from when cell service in Ukraine was shit?

Azovstal has coms that make Iridium look like the dated unreliable shit it is. (Starlink in several videos) Why would they use that funky hunk for anything?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Ok, I think I get it. Proof that the OSCE was helping the Ukraine fighters in Azov.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By vahog:

I have no real info here (I worked in a joint venture in Russia for a while back in the 90s) but I would not be surprised if many companies are saying in the board room, "Hey, let's just get out. We know how hard it has been to run operations there -- the bribes, the bad employees, all the other hassle  -- let's use this as an opportunity to get out now like we've wanted to for years and as a bonus we can cite ethics in the annual report."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vahog:

I watched a russian youtube guy yesterday. He is a former american. He is in some kind of industrial job/leadership position. I believe he builds factories or something so he works with tons of foreign companies. He was listing all the foreign companies who are leaving russia. Companies that have been there for decades, or many decades. Companies that are known to have the best quality. It was a long, long, long list of very big companies that are just abandoning all their stuff in russia and giving russia the finger as they leave. The clearly have no plans of ever returning to russia, ever. I kind of thought the guy was going to start crying for what is going to happen to russia, and saying good-by to all the people he works with.
He says russian people simply can't comprehend the idea that these companies are leaving for ethical reasons and will not return in spite of money. Russians are convinced the companies will be back the day the conflict is over, because of money.

I have no real info here (I worked in a joint venture in Russia for a while back in the 90s) but I would not be surprised if many companies are saying in the board room, "Hey, let's just get out. We know how hard it has been to run operations there -- the bribes, the bad employees, all the other hassle  -- let's use this as an opportunity to get out now like we've wanted to for years and as a bonus we can cite ethics in the annual report."

And probably use a highly inflated number for "losses" on the tax return to write it all off over the next few years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

Videos like this would have a much greater impact if translation subtitles were added. The more who understand them, the more they will benefit Ukraine.
View Quote
I don't speak russian but it appears to be BS russian propaganda.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Such A Russian transformation would probably demand a reincarnation of Peter the Great.

Not very likely at the moment. Even if Putin slips and falls down several flights of stairs the current kleptocracy looks like it has a firm stranglehold on power.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I think you're probably right. One can hope.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]

That's the deal. The rest of the world has always wanted russians as fellow citizens of the world. If they want to isolate and keep to themselves, that's fine. If they want to do business with the rest of the world and benefit from those relationships, even better. The rest of the world would love to interact with russians and learn about their culture and help each other and stuff.
And over the past couple decades the world has largely treated russisa like they are neighbors.
But they have suddenly proven again they are a bunch of fucking criminals. Again.
People are pissed for falling for it, and pissed that russia broke into their neighbors house in the middle of the night, raped the children and murdered everybody and stole everything, WHILE russia was saying to our face it wasn't happening. Businesses are like "That's it. We're done here."
View All Quotes

At least, when we've done what we need to do, we can say we tried
our best to make it work.  Sometimes that's as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Ok, I think I get it. Proof that the OSCE was helping the Ukraine fighters in Azov.
View All Quotes

A punchline: Russia is a participating member of osce…
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I know your right, I sometimes had to refurbish military equipment, but Reinmetall said they could get 50 Gepards to Ukraine in short order.   So I wonder if the German govt. red tape was the culprit for it going down to 15 units.
View Quote
German government modus operandi is to pledge a lot, deliver nothing if they can, or the bare amount to keep the opposition at bay.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

A punchline: Russia is a participating member of osce…
View Quote

Well they did leave behind enough goodies to hold the UA boys over until the western arms arrived.

ACME WEAPONS is making delivery much better now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Ukraine 79th brigade hits a RussiaRussian tank while its moving and laying smoke, in Donetsk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uvekod/79th_brigade_scores_direct_hit_on_russian_tank/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
View Quote

All 3 survived. Lucky orcs
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#20]

At least, when we've done what we need to do, we can say we tried
our best to make it work.  Sometimes that's as good as it gets.
View Quote

I very frequently have to have it repeatedly beaten into my head that somebody is just bad and should never be trusted. I just assume the best about people. Russians have convinced me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

The Russian seperatists always said the OSCE were spies for NATO. The seperatists would claim human rights abuses by Ukraine but not allow OSCE to investigate them.

Now the seperatists will say they were right all along.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a post here from the Ukraine war on reddit. I guess it's ok to just copy it. Credit to  the person who wrote it PapaMalo. I want to know if informed people here agree with the assessment and conclusion. Here is the quote.
"-PapaMalo-
·5 days ago
Something interesting.

Russia has scavenged every available unit in Ukraine, first from Kviv, next from Kharkiv, giving up thousands of square kilmeters of land that Russians fought and died for. Russia had hired every mercenary it could afford, and shipped every idiot who wanted to die for a few thousand dollars from every Russian controlled client state on the planet, they have even let the defenders of Mariupol walk out alive, something Putin himself promised would never happen.. just to free a few more troops to support the offensive in Donbas.

The point is there is nothing left. No more units to scavenge, no more Wagner Mercs to hire, and still the losses continue.

Meanwhile the first NATO artillery, tanks and missiles are arriving in the east with the first crop of tens of thousands NATO trained Ukrainian conscripts.

The Russian invasion is essentially over, the culmination point has been reached and in the next few weeks will see the Russian army slow, reverse then collapse.

This is math, not politics. It's over, Ukraine has won."
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TotalNovice:

The Russian seperatists always said the OSCE were spies for NATO. The seperatists would claim human rights abuses by Ukraine but not allow OSCE to investigate them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TotalNovice:

Does not matter anymore anyways.  The moment Russia started there illegal "special operation"  all things changed and who has what and where stopped mattering.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

So, wild speculation on my part, but...

Considering how much trouble they had at Mariupol, how ridiculously slow their other advances have been, and the known buildup of materials, fortifications, and personnel at Odessa...

Does FVP NEED Odessa? Or do they just need a corridor to Transnistria and to cut Ukraine off from the water? If that's the case, it seems like the best place for a madman to drop canned sunshine in limited amounts. Right in the heart of Odessa. Curious as to thoughts on that possibility?
View Quote

Odessa is a great Russian city (in Russian thinking). It would be unimaginable for Putin to nuke it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Super Sus

WE FOUND THE BUNKER WHERE THE RUSSIAN SOLDIERS WERE HIDING (DIDN'T HELP)
? ???? ??????? ????????? ??????? ??????? (?? ???????)

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Wait who bought me a membership??
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a post here from the Ukraine war on reddit. I guess it's ok to just copy it. Credit to  the person who wrote it PapaMalo. I want to know if informed people here agree with the assessment and conclusion. Here is the quote.
"-PapaMalo-
·5 days ago
Something interesting.

Russia has scavenged every available unit in Ukraine, first from Kviv, next from Kharkiv, giving up thousands of square kilmeters of land that Russians fought and died for. Russia had hired every mercenary it could afford, and shipped every idiot who wanted to die for a few thousand dollars from every Russian controlled client state on the planet, they have even let the defenders of Mariupol walk out alive, something Putin himself promised would never happen.. just to free a few more troops to support the offensive in Donbas.

The point is there is nothing left. No more units to scavenge, no more Wagner Mercs to hire, and still the losses continue.

Meanwhile the first NATO artillery, tanks and missiles are arriving in the east with the first crop of tens of thousands NATO trained Ukrainian conscripts.

The Russian invasion is essentially over, the culmination point has been reached and in the next few weeks will see the Russian army slow, reverse then collapse.

This is math, not politics. It's over, Ukraine has won."
View Quote

There is certainly no way russia will achieve the lofty objective of conquering the whole of the ukraine anytime in the near future.

If Russia were smart they would consolidate and control the last bit of lpr dpr declare that azov had been eliminated and lpr dpr are liberated with a referendum to join russia. Then just wait another few years and take some more. Those were the initial stated goals and putin could say it went exactly as planned with the added bonus of parts of kherson and zaporzhia oblasts being liberated...

What i see actually happening is russia continuing to overextend itself and ukraine slowly taking back their territory.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

Meh, I think a better punishment would be against those who did join, knowing the requirements, and welched on their commitments. Seems to be plenty of countries on that list…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
my punishment and fine for Finland and Sweden joining is that they are required to be 2 percent above the min. GDP for NATO defense spending and they need to be integrated in two years time.

I still feel iffy about them joining because they avoided it since 1952 and now they are joining it after the Ukraine was invaded.

Honestly......good on them joining...but fuck them both for allowing 3rd world shit hole Muslim rapugees into Finland and Sweden.

I visited my sister in Malmo and she is a Swedish language teacher in Malmo.

She was nearly raped several times due to the muslim hordes and their dumb ass shitstan logic that a woman teacher without a male escort means she was to have sex with them.

She works as a teacher outside Malmo now and teaches French and Swedish in a normal school.

I want them PUNISHED for coming into the party late.

But I want them in NATO and they will be welcome assets and allies.

fuck the orcs also.....

as my mantra goes.

GROUNDED TO FUCKEN POWDER..their entire nation.......of Orcussia...

Meh, I think a better punishment would be against those who did join, knowing the requirements, and welched on their commitments. Seems to be plenty of countries on that list…

The bigger problem, especially with what Joszi complains about, is the EU not NATO. EU has some stupid regulations, like all that renewable crap, gun control, etc. I've been saying that the former Commie States need to form their own Union apart from EU.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
German government modus operandi is to pledge a lot, deliver nothing if they can, or the bare amount to keep the opposition at bay.
View Quote

Тhis x2.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
I remember reading part of the aftermath of The Yom Kippur War.  Israel used its munitions at a rate far higher than they thought....
View Quote

lessons from Operation Nickel Grass are really eye-opening - and also about allies and alliances, not just logistics.

As a value added point wrt Ukraine, I would say that this has been well known and addressed, if not in the headlines.  The absence of routine C-17 traffic around McChord the last two months has been very, very noticeable.  I would say traffic has been less than 1/10th what we normally see from routine operations and training.  Those planes have been somewhere, doing something operational.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]

The words "Unstainable Losses" comes to mind. Even assuming cross reporting issues, and something like 50% (Way too high) numbers inflation, there's no way Russia can do another 90 days of that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

The words "Unstainable Losses" comes to mind. Even assuming cross reporting issues, and something like 50% (Way too high) numbers inflation, there's no way Russia can do another 90 days of that.
View Quote

How long before we start seeing T55s at the front, at this rate?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote

There are times when I don't know if the misspellings are because the posters are not native English speakers, or just ignorant. Much like reading threads every day in GD.

"razing"
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#36]
View Quote

Yeah, wow. It’s been hot there for a while.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Ukraine 79th brigade hits a RussiaRussian tank while its moving and laying smoke, in Donetsk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uvekod/79th_brigade_scores_direct_hit_on_russian_tank/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

When you say “survived”, they may wish they hadn’t.  All three bailed out of a blowtorch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Odessa is a great Russian city (in Russian thinking). It would be unimaginable for Putin to nuke it.
View All Quotes

Considering how much trouble they had at Mariupol, how ridiculously slow their other advances have been, and the known buildup of materials, fortifications, and personnel at Odessa...

Does FVP NEED Odessa? Or do they just need a corridor to Transnistria and to cut Ukraine off from the water? If that's the case, it seems like the best place for a madman to drop canned sunshine in limited amounts. Right in the heart of Odessa. Curious as to thoughts on that possibility?

Disagree.
Putin and his cronies have robbed Russia blind for 30 years and gutted the Russian economy and military, all while claiming to be Russian patriots.  Why would it bother them to destroy Odessa?  Anything which aids these maniacs to remain in power is on the table.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sq40:

My honest opinion, as of May 22…

That would be the most expedient way… if not required. And they may do it…

But the international consequences would make Russia cease to exist economically.  Nuking European soil would be a bridge too far for all of the West.  Even if no nuclear response was made, it would go from sanctions to a military backed embargo of Russia globally, with our finger on the nuclear trigger to enforce it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

I don't think Odessa is going to be a short operation for the Russians to take over.  Plus you can tell from the reports how critical it is for Ukraine to have access to the Black Sea.  Expect Russian warships to have accidental fires and be lost in storms at sea in the coming weeks.

Odessa has been building up since day 1. Would make Marioupul look like a trip to Disney land.

Good.

Mariupol was just so close to the border, it’s a real testament to the Azov fighters to hold them off for three months, largely unsupported, against the best Russia had.

I hope Odessa has a landfill big enough for Russian bodies.

My honest opinion, as of May 22…

That would be the most expedient way… if not required. And they may do it…

But the international consequences would make Russia cease to exist economically.  Nuking European soil would be a bridge too far for all of the West.  Even if no nuclear response was made, it would go from sanctions to a military backed embargo of Russia globally, with our finger on the nuclear trigger to enforce it.

That was sort of my line of thinking as well. At some point, this might (or may even be likely to) come to a single decision that will affect the world for a long time to come.

Originally Posted By Capta:

Disagree.
Putin and his cronies have robbed Russia blind for 30 years and gutted the Russian economy and military, all while claiming to be Russian patriots.  Why would it bother them to destroy Odessa?  Anything which aids these maniacs to remain in power is on the table.

Yeah, I'm going to say it's definitely not unthinkable. I guess we'll find out. Unless they somehow never make it to Odessa. Maybe they'll solidify their current holdings, try to keep those for a decade or two, THEN try and take Odessa. Who knows.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Ukraine will have an army larger than Russias soon. I don’t mean the army in ukraine I mean the whole thing. They aim to put a million men under arms. The longer this goes on, the stronger they get. If western support continues at the present rate Ukraine will have the option of taking parts of Russia if they want.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#41]

And for WHAT?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triode:
2000 - sad that putin's folly has caused so much pain and suffering.

And for WHAT?

I don't understand AT ALL why he ordered The Invasion.

A nominally smart guy suddenly showing he about has the IQ of AOC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

So Hungary gets a pass but Sweden and Finland have to bow and scrape?
View Quote

Sweden and Finland have better energy policies and have more options than Hungary.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Carrol O'Connor,  cartol was a typo. He was a great actor, a big liberal though, like most of Hollywood. The show was very groundbreaking in its day. It was a comedy but it dealt with the serious issues of the day. Back then just about everyone had an Archie Bunker in the family or at work. He was bigoted and small minded but O'Connor played him with a lot of heart and likability.

Back to the war, er, I mean Special Military Operation.
View Quote

I don't now what world you lived in, but back then that show did not represent or was similar to anything of mine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

That is brief, but really on point, it really captures the essence of the issues. Well said.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Raze, they are RAZING the city to the ground.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Disagree.
View Quote

I have read that Putin has a personal affinity for Odessa. I don't know how true that is, or how much that affinity might be worth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]

That's the deal. The rest of the world has always wanted russians as fellow citizens of the world. ...
View Quote

Completely agree, it's accurate.

I for one am old enough to recall the 90's optimism that the Russian Empire would divest itself of conquered and unwilling members, and step through the pillars of Boaz and Jachin into a welcoming world of peace and prosperity.  The natural resources, as well as intellectual and industrial gifts of the country could be world-class.  But in the late 90s we all shuddered as the KGB rose back up, re-asserted power, and closed that chance. It's been a slow-motion disaster for two decades. Hopefully this time the dice of history can land favorably.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

View Quote

The important questions are 1) are they really unsustainable? and 2) are Ukraine losses low enough to continue this to the point of winning?

Russia losing 1000 tanks isn't unsustainable if they have 100,000 tanks. I have no idea how much stuff russia has and they see their own troops as consumables/disposables.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Russia has gone back to their old playbook of slowly moving forward and destroying everything as they go. They literally plan for their troops to be able to take control of ruins. Sickening.
Page / 5572
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2002 of 5572)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top